Ben Folds Five Digest

Issue #22 - January 22, 1996

 Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 13:01:29 -0800 (PST)
 From: Marc Nathan
 Subject: tape vs. cd

Twas I that mentioned it...glad to see SOMEONE noticed...now can ANYONE
tell the difference?

 Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:22:12 -0500 (EST)
 From: "GERRI R. BAER"

anytime soon!  I am distressed as well (being a Baltimoron).  Maybe if we
rally we can get them in the area before they leave the country.  Who
does their booking?

 Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 17:13:58 -0500
 From: Seaforest@aol.com
 Subject: Ben Folds Five in Hoboken, NJ

  Hi everyone.  It was great to see Ben Folds Five at Maxwell's in Hoboken
last Thursday.  I was unable to catch the previous night's show at Brownies
(NYC), and would have never forgiven myself if I had not attended the
Maxwell's show.

  I met quite a few nice people.  What amazed me was how many people from all
over the East Coast came to this show.  There were people from Pennsylvania,
Georgia, North Carolina, D.C, and Delaware.. sheesh!  There were some
annoying industry types (you know, those "hip young things" that talk
throughout the whole show...) but it didn't even matter.

  Highlights of the show included Ben responding to the question "What do you
guys do before a show?"  He said that they "sing Archers of Loaf songs like
Randy Travis."  Then they broke into a condensed version of "Web in Front".
 Another great part was when he played the Hooter (sort of like a cross
between a trumpet and keyboard..) for a song about a friend Steve who just
won't leave.  When someone in the audience yelled out the request "Free bird!
 Play Free Bird" (there's always *someone* doing this) Ben said that if all
bands "would unite and play the song when they were asked, no one would
request it anymore".  Then they played it.  Quite a surprise.

  The song that someone had a question about was announced as not "The
Breakup Song", but "Song For The Dumped".  Either title will do, really.

  The encore was a waltz called "Boxing" which was absolutely breathtaking
(this is when the talking people in the audience started to anger me..), and
the very last song was "Video Killed the Radio Star".  Hey, why not.

  Did I mentioned I made a recording of the show on a professional recorder?
 It came out beautifully.  It lasts about 75 minutes or so.  I also have a
tape of the Minneapolis 7th Street Entry show (which is much shorter, but
still quite good).  I would be more than happy to trade these for other Ben
Folds Five shows, or maybe even shows by other bands.  If you don't have
anything to trade, I'll try and work something out with you.  Unfortunately,
I probably won't be able to make tapes for everyone that asks for them.  I am
on a limited time/money thing.  However, if you write to me, I will try and
make sure that everyone who wants a tape gets a tape.  Even if this means
starting some sort of tape tree.

  Well, thanks for reading this.  Please make sure that you get out and see
them if they play near you.. I think this will probably be the last tour
where they play such intimate venues.

-chris

 Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 23:27:11 -0500
 From: RalphVac@aol.com
 Subject: Ben Folds Five

A friend of mine took me to New York recently to see Ben Folds Five, and I
thought they were great. He said I should write to you to be put on the
mailing list. True? If it is, please put me on and send me any information on
the group you've got.

Thanks.
Ralph Vacchiano
(RalphVac@aol.com)

 Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:41:05 -0500 (EST)
 From: Josiah Haas <99haajos@james.hawken.edu>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #21

That is great about you changing the location for the upcoming show in
Cleveland.  I have a way to get there now.  Thanks.  You're the best band
around.

 Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 13:19:18 -0500
 From: "Brian R. Kessler"
 Subject: Pearl St... Northampton, MA.

GREAT SHOW!!!  Ben didn't climb all over the piano, or play it with his
microphone, like he did in Providence, but he did add a new trick to his
repertoire...  dubbed the "big rock 'n roll ending", the Five build to a
typical crescendo at the end of the song, but then Ben does a flying
sideways leap onto the keyboard, making for a massive crash.  Their drummer
wanted in on the keyboard moshing, too, so he did a dive in their encore.

Highlites:  "Song for the Dumped", "Philosophy", "Alice Childress", "Julianne",
            "Video Killed the Radio Star", "Underground", "Best Imitation",...
            ...awwww, heck...  the whole show was a highlite!!!!

The Five hung out in the bar afterwards, and I chatted with Darren for a few
minutes.  Really down-to-earth, "Awww shucks, it's so great to be here" kinda
guy.  It's so obvious that these guys don't take themselves very seriously at
all.  They just love to play the kind of music that they are playing, and they
are somewhat blown away by so many people loving it, too!!!  It's like, suppose
someone said, "Here, you go do something that you thoroughly enjoy doing, and
tens of thousands of people are going to go crazy over you for it."  It's
great seeing them have so much fun.

I told him about the BF5-related activities on the net, and he seemed to
be aware of it, but also seemed to be in awe of how big everything has gotten
for them, largely thru internet.  If I had Frank's ID memorized, I would have
given it to him to subscribe, but, alas, I was remiss in my duties.  Sorry.

--
Brian R. Kessler
voice:  802-769-7600

 Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 13:16:57 -0500
 From: JLUE@HANYS.ORG
 Subject: Mailling list

   Please add me to the BF5 maillist.

  I heard about the band on a local radio
station in Albany, bought the CD, and tonight
I'm looking forward to seeing the show at
Bogie's .

 Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 14:05:31 -0500 (EST)
 From: Josiah Haas <99haajos@james.hawken.edu>

	I wanted to tell you that more and more people are catching on to
your music here in Cleveland.  I won't be able to see you on the 25th but
maybe next time you come to town.  Keep pumping out the hits!

-Josiah

 Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 17:40:22 -0500 (EST)
 From: ERIC KURLAND

For those of you asking about bootlegs:

Back in October, Ben Folds Five did a live radio interview here in L.A.,
it's about 20 minutes long and includes live versions of Where's Summer B.,
Philosophy, and Alice Childress, along with some insight from the band.

I'd be happy to make copies for people.

e-mail me at ejkdreamer@mci.newscorp.com

Eric

[Perhaps we should set up a tree. There seems to be a growing amount of
material available. That way we won't be having several people doing
tapes for everyone.  Perhaps we should wait until the end of the current
tour and see if any other audience or radio recordings appear. Anyone
want to take it on?

Brian, I have had the band's e-mail address at Caroline Records on the
list since issue #1, so somebody is getting copies of all this stuff. I
don't know if it's actually read by the band or somebody at the label.

Our little list, which started just over a month ago with a handful of
subscribers, has grown to over 100 already. We're at 106 as this issue
goes to press, an average of 5 new subscribers for each issue.

Who else is going to the Pontiac show on Friday? - fjm]

             Destiny was calling Monday afternoon