 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:14:18 -0500 (CDT)
 From: EDH004@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU
 X-Personal_name: Eric Hogensen
 Subject: radio station that plays BF5

 I have heard Underground on the radio in Madison, WI on WMAD 92.1
 That is actually where I heard them first, then my friens got me into album
 which I really like a lot.  Hope I helped.

 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 10:22:04 -0800 (PST)
 From: Marc Nathan
 Subject: OK, so no one guessed....

 the difference between the Cassette version and the CD version of the BFF
 record can be found in "Uncle Walter." Now, you take it from there :)
 First correct answer wins a copy of the Fleming & John CD that Ben plays
 drums on! (Oh boy, a contest :) )

 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:03:50 -0500 (EST)
 From: Macmud Rafuam Ishlam <99haajos@james.hawken.edu>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #25

 I saw them in Cleveland and it was an amazing show

 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:11:23 -0500
 From: nate wilke
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Airplay

 WLSO 90.1 FM  Sault Ste. Marie,  Michigan
 DJ Jared Pinkos Plays Ben Folds Five Constantly

 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:13:03 -0500
 From: Opus
 Subject: Yosahs! Ben Folds Fun!

 On Sun, 28 Jan 1996 22:00:37 -0500 (EST), The Yodi-Chicken
  wrote:

 > P.S.  Opus, I mentioned you to Ben and Darin and they said "Yeah, I
 > remember him, that dude was cool."

 That clinches it, then. I AM gonna send them a package. I felt sorta bad
 becuase I only brought Silly Putty for Ben, not for Darren and Robert, and
 I was pondering sending them some to make up for it, but I doubted they're
 remember me (after all, I as never cool in school... but you all saw that
 coming, didn't you?) So now I'll package up some of that maliable wonder
 matter and ship it off to them. Do you think they'll get it if I send it to
 their address in N.C., or should i foreward it to one of the clubs so they
 can have it before they go off to Japan?

 This dude is cool,

 opuws

 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 15:13:22 EST
 From: Chris
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Station.

 95.5 WBRU in Providence plays Ben Folds Five.  The earliest I can remember
 them playing them was in early November.  They even sponsered a concert with
 them in it.  It was on Dec. 5th.  The concert had Micheal Frente form Spearhead
 It also had The Inbreds, Lisa Loeb, and Everclear.
    http://www.wbru.com

 Hope this helps you out.

 Later,
 Chris

 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 15:19:43 -0500
 From: Opus
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #22

 > Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 13:01:29 -0800 (PST)
 > From: Marc Nathan
 > Subject: tape vs. cd

 >Twas I that mentioned it...glad to see SOMEONE noticed...now can ANYONE
 >tell the difference?

 It's been a while since you put the bait out, Marc, and only I've taken it.
 I'm assuming most of us (including me) don't have the money to buy the CD
 and tape just to see what the difference is that you speak about, so could
 you please be so kind as to tell us? Please?

 love and cauliflower,

 opus

 Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:26:28 -0800
 From: afukushim@sd31.gov.bc.ca
 Subject: Underground turning off young'uns

 Hey all.

 Got a copy of the album on Friday (thanks Al!) cause I cant find the
 stinkin' thing ANYWHERE around here. I love it. I love it and I worship it.
 I love it, I worship it, and I want to bear it's children. Either that or I
 want to have children that are bears, i dunno..

 > >>Have all the younguns been turned off by the bitter "Underground"?
 >
 > Don't worry about it.  I'm 19 and I think I'm the only person under 20 on
 > this earth that actually *listens* to lyrics anyway.

 Wrong. ;) I'm 16, I *listen* to the lyrics, and I love them! 'Course, being
 (I'm positive) the only BF5 fan in this town and practically the only person
 who's ever heard of BF5 here, that's not a real good indication of wether or
 not "young'uns" are being turned off. As soon as we start getting some BF5
 radio play/videos up here (Canada, I'm talking) I'm sure we'll se a response.

 > If other young
 > people heard the song, I'm sure they weren't offended because, chances
 > are, they only listened because they could dance to it.

 Good point. Meaningful lyrics dont seem to have any place in mainstream
 music today. It's all loud guitars and guys who look and act 'cool.' Some
 big rock stars (wont use any names here) could make a song and trash every
 young person and call them names, and do everything that is considered
 'taboo', but as long as they put it to a catchy tune (consisting of 4 or
 fewer chords) and a high budget video, kids will eat it up. Although, I do
 feel that more and more people are paying attention to the lyrics and the
 messages that bands are trying to get out, however, there are a hell of alot
 of people who just dont care.

 Later, eh!

 Your friendly neighbourhood Canucklehead

 Brian

 			Long Live Procrastinators!
 	*  When i wake up, well you know I'm gonna wait,           *
 	*  I'm gonna wait till 8:00 to do last night's homework.   *
 	*  And the work, well you know it was assigned             *
 	*  It was assigned about 4 months ago at school..	   *
 	*  And I would wait 500 hours, and I would wait 500 more,  *
 	*  even thought the project's due tomorrow morning,	   *
 	*  I'm still gonna wait 'till the last hour..		   *

 Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 01:27:26 -0800
 From: Mike Martis
 Subject: Ben Folds Five...a great find

 A few thoughts from a first-day list member:

 After hearing raves about BFF on my XTC discussion list, I snagged the
 last remaining copy out of a Virgin Megastore bin a couple weeks ago.
 It took me all of about five seconds into the first track to realize
 I'd stumbled across something pretty special.

 I kept listening and heard influences of some of my favorite artists
 pouring out of my speakers...I caught early Elton John piano (try
 playing "Philosophy" and just about anything off of "Madman Across the
 Water" back to back), Joe Jackson piano and vocal styles reminiscent of
 his great "Night and Day" album,  harmonies and falsettos that conjured
 images of John, Paul and George (I can't listen to vocals of "Julianne"
 without thinking of the Beatles' "Tell Me Why"). I heard jazz. I heard
 Gershwin, for crying out loud!

 I heard amazingly textured instrumentation and vocals - I swear I
 listened to Alice Childress 16 straight times at one point. I may not
 have understood the lyric - OK, I still don't - but there's something
 about that song that just floors me each time I hear it.

 I heard a sprinkling Steely Dan, Squeeze, a little Queen/Jellyfish, as
 well as just a smidgeon of XTC, the band nearest and dearest to me and
 most aligned with my admittedly eclectic musical tastes. And finally, I
 heard a garage band edge (Robert Sledge's amped-up bass is just right
 throughout) that infused a healthy dose of fun.

 All told, a lot of great bands jump out at you when you listen to BFF.
 And yet, to my ears, these guys don't sound the least bit contrived or
 derivative. Quite the contrary - all those influences meld into
 something so refreshingly original. Their product is the total essence
 of great pop music - tasty melodies, a youthful innocence, sincerity,
 some damn good hooks...And what about Ben Folds' voice?! It's almost
 perfect! He's really way too talented, and if these guys don't become a
 monster band, there's something terribly wrong.

 Well, I've said my piece. I gotta get back to the album.

 --Mike Martis

 Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:14:37 +0000
 From: Kurihara
 Subject: Hello, is this...

 Is this same as their "mail" mailing list? I used to receive two picture
 postcard tour date info but I haven't gotten recently.

 Also, Is this the band's official homepage or not? Is there an official
 fanclub?  Are you a staff who sold BFF T-shirt at the lobby of Irving
 Plaza on Nov. 6, 1995?  Ah, I'm asking too much. Sorry about that.

 I'm little suprised BFF is getting popular in Japan. Japanese Keyboard
 magazine even discribed a piano score of "Philosophy" on the last issue.
 They already got their interiew and I think they will definitely write BFF
 Tokyo show review.

 I missed their shows at mercury lounge and Maxwell's 2 weeks ago because
 of business trip! I envy my girlfriend in Japan. She's going to BFF show
 in Tokyo. She pays appro. $60 for ticket though.

 Best Regards.
 Kuri

   [Kuri: No, this is neither the band's "mail" mailing list nor an
 "official" homepage. I would suspect that if there is an "official"
 homepage it would be at www.caroline.com (maybe soon to move to Sony?),
 but the one below is the only one that I know of that exclusively covers
 Ben Folds Five, and has a whole lot more material besides. As to a fan
 club, I don't know either, and no, I'm not connected to the band in any
 way, at least not in a business sense. -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:29:04 -0500 (EST)
 From: Olga_Smith
 Subject: Daily Tarheel Coverage

 Does anyone have the big spread that the dth (unc-chapel hill's paper)
 did on bff two weeks ago?  I read it, and then went to the show two days
 later, but when I tried to find it again, my anal roomie had thrown it
 out.  I'd love to get my hands on a copy again.

 olga

 ps.  I went to the show with one of my dancing friends, the infamous
 Summer Burke.  It was amusing to watch her squirm during "her" song!

 Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:38:55 EST
 From: MR MARC FACTOR

 hello,

 id like to be on the mailing list if thats ok, im a pretty big fan of
 benfoldsfive and was a train ride away from seeing them at maxwells
 in hoboken nj, but me and my friend missed the train. sucks for us.
 thanks,

 brian factor

 Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:31:39 -0800
 From: Rahne Alexander
 Subject: it took long enough!

 I just received my mail order BFF cd today, and
 "Philosophy" has just ended.

 Oh, god. I have had this feeling exactly eight times
 before...that spark  that happens when I hear a band that
 will be a major part of my listening pleasure for many
 moons to come...

 And it's raining here today...

 And I've got a date tonite...

 And I left work early...

 What a great day.

 Rahne

 Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:13:12 -0500
 From: fotw@plato.simons-rock.edu
 Subject: mailto:maynard@oeonline.com

 Another station that plays Ben Folds Five is 95.5 WBRU
 the Brown University Radio Station in Providence, RI.
 Their web site is at http://www.wbru.com
 (btw: this station was the readers' choice for best middle catagory
 station in the country in the 1994-6 readers' poll in Rolling Stone.)

 glad to be of help with this information.

 Jeremy

 [Thanks to all the contributors of radio station links. I'm adding them
 as fast as I can go.

 I got a note from Ned Wharton at NPR, who said he had a blast producing
 the Ben Folds piece. Ben sure gave a good interview.

 128 members on the list as of tonight. -fjm]
        I'll be stone-faced and pale, you'll pout in stereo