 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 08:32:53 -0800
 From: Tim Reynolds <timrwjar@ids.net>
 Subject: Providence Show

 Melanie Schatz <st942523@PIP.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU> wrote:

 Also, for the person at
  Williams, I don't know if Providence is closer to you than Boston, but they
  are in Providence on Fri, Mar. 22 at club Babyhead...don't know any more
  than that...

 Club Babyhead is right in downtown Providence, holds about 300 people.
 It's a great club to see a show -- this year alone I've seen Alanis and
 Goo Goo Dolls there.  Phone number for tix is:  401-751-4122.  If anyone
 needs more info, e-mail me direct.  Last time they played Providence, they
 had a good reception at the Met Cafe, so I would get tickets ahead of
 time, it could sell out.  There are two radio stations plating them:  WBRU
 is about 4 cuts deep into the album, and The Edge is playing "Song for the
 Dumped" TIM

 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:25:17 -0500 (EST)
 From: Darin Goulet <dgoulet@husc.harvard.edu>

 Does anyone have a _time_ that the Providence show on the 22nd might be
 starting? I am leaving for New York on the 20th, so I'm missing them in
 Boston but will be very sad if I miss them completely this spring, so I
 was thinking about bussing it up from NYC after my own show ends ... fill
 me in?

 	Darin

 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:01:36 -0500
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BF5: Haiku, Silliness, & Autographs

 Here's a couple more haiku for you.  How come the rest of you haven't pitched
 any in yet?  Come on! :-)

 Again, the structure is:
    5 syllables
    7 syllables
    5 syllables

    If I practice hard,
    maybe I can play like Ben...
    in a million years!

    Damn Uncle Walter,
    driving me out of my mind.
    Just shut the f*** up!

 Here are some other kinds of Ben:

 Gentle Ben
 Ben & Jerry's
 Saint Benedict
 Ben Hur
 Ben Franklin
 Big Ben
 Benedict Arnold
 Benadryl

 BF5 is playing here in Austin on Thursday.  I'm gonna take my Roland JV-35
 keyboard that I play in my band, and try to get Ben to autograph it with an
 engraver!  Boy, wouldn't that motivate me to practice, seeing Ben's signature
 every time I play?  :-)

 See ya nice folks later,  -- Michael Bluejay  (Austin TX)

    [Here's one:
	PowerVegan writes
	cool haikus about the boys
	who make great music          -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:09:59 -0500
 From: DJdeath@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #49

 hey doug,- yeah bands still put on 'shows'...but only bands with the budget
 to something elaborate.  when you're playing in front of crowds that are
 usually 200-500 people each nite, and ticket prices are around $5, it's not
 cost effective. plus at this point, i think the idea is to keep prices low to
 get people in to the shows. if you want to see a real show, i don't know what
 nine inch nails will be doing next time out, but they put on an incredible
 'show'.

 so 'uncle walter' will be the next single? cool. i work in radio and our
 music dir. is a big fan, so i bet we'll play it!

 i'm doing my bestto turn all my friends on to BFF. most of them say
 'piano???'. a lot of the stuff i listen to is industrial, but i have to admit
 i listen to BFF more than anything lately. a few months ago, i readthat ben
 folds was considering moving to hollywood and doing movie soundtracks. anyone
 else hear this? i want another album!!!

 later,
 laura

 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:39:03 -0500
 From: Shan111111@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five show (seattle)

 > Now, having said that, this tour is hardly on the same
 > level as those (monetarily at the very least), and that type of "glitter"
 > has long since disappeared from the music scene (a pity really, considering
 > the prices we pay for top line acts.  But, ultimately, we go to the show to
 > hear music, and that we did!

 in my opinion, ben folds five puts on a great show.  compared to most of the
 acts i have gone to see recently, they seem to have more fun up there on
 stage.  i guess they miss out on the glitter because that costs so much more.
  i just don't ever see anything like that.  for example, recently i paid $50
 for pearl jam (luckly they showed up) and the only glitter i saw was a bunch
 of candles behind them.
 anyway, hope you enjoyed the BF5 show anyway:)
 shan

 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 14:17:49 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <MFP540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Anarchy in the UK?

 Am I the *only* fan of BFF in the UK? Sob. People need to know about
 these guys. Anyhow, does anyone have information about the UK tour
 planned for April / May? I don't want to miss them. They had better
 play Birmingham.....(UK, that is, not Alabama). If anyone speaks to
 them, tell them they must play Birmingham, preferably The Foundry
 because that's just down the road. Cheers!

 Mark, The Reverend Bingo
 "We are young despite the years,
 We are concern,
 We are hope despite the times.
 All of a sudden....."

    [Rev: Nothing has been announced yet as to dates or venues, but keep
 watching - you'll probably read it here first. They played just up the
 M-1 from Birmingham in January, but that's Birmingham, Michigan, and not
 that M-1, but Michigan highway #1. -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 19:05:59 -0400
 From: - Steady Eddy - <bartok@fox.nstn.ca>
 Subject: Canada?

 please, please, puh-lease! does anyone out there know of canadian tour
 dates? my teeth are getting itchy 'cause i'm so desperately wanting to see
 these guys live. surely if they've toured japan, they'll be coming to their
 neighbour country.

 anyone know?...anyone?
 thanks,
 ed reifel / bartok@fox.nstn.ca

 ---------------------------
 ********IF A GRAHAM CRACKER GETS YOU OFF...IS IT LUCK?********
 ---------------------------

   [Eddy: I'll trade you a Ben Folds Five show for a Moxy Fruvous show,
 or maybe Ashley MacIsaac, OK? -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 19:05:19 -0500
 From: Jason Lemieux <jlemieu@sugar-river.net>
 Subject: BFF Boston Show

 Hey...
 	The show is at eight o'clock at mama kins. The screwy thing is
 that it is a 19 and over show! I'm 17... had a nice ID if it was going
 to be 18 and over. No can do. I don't think I could pass for 19 either.
 I've never been to mama kins. do you think they'll check ID? I am dying
 to go to the show. Anyway... see you later.
 					J. Lemieux
 --
 Digital Feedback
 http://www.sugar-river.net/~jlemieu/df.html

 Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:39:43 -0500
 From: Cliff Stuehmer <cmstuehm@Oakland.edu>

 >  Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:47:55 -0800
 >  From: "J.J. Engel" <jjengel@mail.utexas.edu>
 >
 >  Hey there,
 >
 >  I just wanted you to add me to the mailin list and to let you know that
 >  Ben Folds Five is soon going to start Working on the "Uncle Walter"
 >  video..
 >
 >  Nikki

 So, does anyone have any info on a release date or anything on the Uncle
 Walter video?  Or any other videos in the works (if there are any...)?

 Cliff

 --
 We can be happy underground!  --The Ben Folds Five
                              http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~cmstuehm

 Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:22 -0500 (EST)
 From: armbr003@mc.duke.edu
 Subject: Ben Folds Five in EW Text

      If anyone is interested, the text of the Entertainment Weekly blurb
      is:

      -----

      "Radio Active" p.122  February 23, 1996 Issue

         Three program directors offer meditations on their most rotated
         songs, and ones to keep an eye on:

         KSTN, Stockton, Calif (Top 40)......

         KSDM, International Falls, Minn (Country).....

         WBRU, Providence (Commercial Alternative) Alexa Tobin....
                 One to Watch - "Underground," Ben Folds Five: "A unique
                 combination of pop, rock, jazz, and anything else you can
                 think of.  And the singer plays a baby grand."

      ----

      I think this was a real good plug for the band because the other bands
      mentioned in the article included mainstream acts like George Michael
      (blech!!!)  I guess that brief description of their music is about as
      good as anything we all come up with because they really are so hard
      to pin down.

      By the way, anyone find out where Trinity Farm in Raleigh is yet???

      - Mitch Armbruster
        Chapel Hill, NC

 Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 11:56:45 -0500 (EST)
 From: eric t beteille <beteille@mary.iia.org>
 Subject: BFF in CO: $ for $, best show on Earth

 Ben and band did not disappoint, last night in Boulder, CO. Crowd
 was slow to get into the groove, at first.. (They must have wondered
 why some yuppie punk in the middle of the dance floor knew every
 word to every song).. but 'Song for the Dumped' and 'Philosophy' and 'Jackson
 Cannery' and (especially) Darren's dramatic performance at the beginning
 of 'Underground' got everyone doing something they probably never
 imagined they'd do ... Dancing to grand piano music.

 Songs I'd never heard them do before:
 	'One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn (?) Faces'
 	'Every Night is Steve's Last Night in Town'
 	'Video Killed the Radio Star'
 	The song about Twin Falls, Idaho

 And yes! Finally, some recognition that the piano solo in 'The
 Last Polka' was a dead ringer for the piano line in 'It Keeps
 You Runnin' by the Doobie Brothers, or Michael McDonald or
 whomever officially does that tune. (Nice impressions by Ben
 and Robert, too!)

 Cool t-shirts, too ... I met Joe from the list at the t-shirt
 counter while buying the "I was never cool in school" blue
 large. Overall, BFF was much appreciated by Colorado..
 especially at the bargain price of $6 per ticket. IT's nice to be
 a particiapant in the dawning of a band's popularity, so I can
 someday say ... "I knew them when..."

 --
 Eric

 "I knew them when we still had to sit through bands like
   The Customers before each show"

 Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:01:27 -0700
 From: Joe Sweetser <joes@Access.COM>
 Subject: BFF live in Colorado

 Hi all,

 Saw the group last night here in Boulder and concur with the other reviews.
 These guys are definitely not "studio magic"...they can (and do) pull it
 off in a live setting.  Personally, it was the vocal harmonies that blew me
 away.  Not too much banter between songs, though there was a good story
 before "Song for the Dumped" which is an absolutely hilarious song in my
 eyes.  The show could've been a bit longer but I have no complaints for my
 $7 ticket.  It didn't seem all that spontaneous...does anybody out there
 know if they are playing the same set every night?

 Met fellow BFF-lister Eric after the show while buying t-shirts and that
 was cool.  I enjoy making these "cyber-connections".  And speaking of
 t-shirts, with the fair amount of discussion about them on this list I
 decided to buy 4 extra ones to dole out to list members.  Well, not quite
 dole because you're gonna have to pay for them but just my cost ($12) plus
 postage.  Now, the question is what is the fairest way to run this little
 contest?  Before I get too far, I should say that I bought 2 of each kind
 - dark blue with a piano and "Ben Folds Five" on the front with the "I was
 never cool in school..." lyric on the back and an all white one with red
 trim around the neck and arms with a picture of a hand on a keyboard.  The
 caveat about the white T-shirt is that the hand is flying the bird and it
 says "Middle C" in small letters across the top of the keys.  Fairly
 humorous, but it might be censored on the net due to the
 Telecommunications Act.  But I digress.

 The blue ones are large.  The white ones are X-Large.  They all say they
 are pre-shrunk but your mileage may vary.  BTW, I think it's totally cool
 they only charged $12/shirt and didn't try to stick it to their fans with
 $20 prices.

 Well, after typing all that in, I still can't decide on a fair contest so
 we'll go for the 'ol "race condition".  Hey - I'm a nerd.  Here's the
 deal, the first 2 messages I RECEIVE PERSONALLY asking for the blue shirt
 and the first 2 I RECEIVE PERSONALLY asking for the white shirt will win.
 If you don't specify a single shirt in your message, it doesn't count.
 And you can't say "whatever's available".  Make a decision and pick one.
 Oh - and don't send me 2 messages (1 for each shirt).  Anybody who sends
 me 2 messages will be disqualified.  As a last plea, please don't ask for
 a shirt if you are going to be seeing the band soon.  I really only wanted
 to do this for fans who wouldn't be able to get one otherwise.  I'll work
 out the details of delivery later and I will notify you via personal email
 if you win.  I may notify the losers too, but that depends on the number
 of responses.

 OK.  All done.  On your mark, get set, GO!

 "You can laugh all you want.  I got my philosophy."

 later,
 joe

    [This is the first I've heard about the red and white ones! -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 21:43:11 -0500
 From: Bill Franklin <bhf19@en.com>

 I want to be on your mailing list because I just want to because I
 like Underground because it's a good song because the band is cool and
 I could go on like this forever but I've got a life and I'm not a
 poser so I'll just go now and have some ---.

                   Some men never grew up fortunate like you