 Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 21:45:06 -0500
 From: Nina Hays <nimsey@neosoft.com>
 Subject: SXSW

 aaaaghhhh....i had to miss the show at SXSW last night.  did anyone see it?
 how was it?   why dont they just come to houston? and i would be happy......
 ...oh well.
 nina

 Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 21:21:34 -0800
 From: Reid Davis <reid2@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #51

 A brief (hopefully!) response to Eileen -- YES YES YES!! the "other
 two" are just as integral to the band as its namesake!  When I saw BFF
 here in Atlanta during Gavin week, the thing that immediately struck me
 was how absolutely *dead on* the playing and backing vocals of mssrs.
 Sledge and Jesse were.  I couldn't believe that the vocals, in
 particular, could be that tight in a small club environment, where
 P.A./monitor problems typically run rampant.  And the bass playing was
 exceptional - speed and that ol' fuzz-toned power, to make up for the
 lack of guitar.  Yes indeedy, it truly was a BAND up there.

 Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned here, (I just subscribed) but
 among the encore selections that night was a cover of Hendrix's
 "Crosstown Traffic".  A rather interesting selection from a guitar-less
 band, eh?  Shudder To Think does a version of that song in a similar
 twisted way.

 Before I go, big thanks to Ben for offering to get me in that night as
 the show was sold out (it was a double-bill with *Lush*).  I managed to
 get in by coming back later, but the gesture was appreciated.  (Geez,
 he's such a nice young man!)

 - Reid

 (reid2@ix.netcom.com OR reid.davis@cadnet.byers.com)

 Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:45:14 -0500 (EST)
 From: Olga_Smith <olga@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: the real summer

 I also know summer b., and, contrary to popular belief, she's only a
 bookie that ben used to make his track bets through.  After being beaten
 with a sack of potatoes, however, she has since given up the bookie
 business and is currently an electrician for Ringling Bros. Barnum and
 Bailey Circus.  Rumors that she's been sending bomb threats to the chapel
 hill town council after being jilted by Ben, darren, Trey, Robert, and
 the rest of Caroline and Sony are greatly exaggerated.  She seems to be
 proud of all the publicity surrounding her name--that is, what of it she
 can actually understand.  She's deaf (since the accident) and Portuguese.
 That's why Ben and Darren are both so enamored with her and have agreed
 to an old-fashioned duel, to be televised on MTV's Rock and Jock
 Weekend.  Anything beyond that, I cannot divulge.  BEN FOLDS FIVE RULES!!

 Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 15:38:28 -0500
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BF5: Thursday's SXSW show

 [Frank, this is very long.  I'll understand if you want to edit it down.]
     [Michael: no editing necessary! Read on... -fjm]

 For those of you who don't know, South by Southwest (SXSW) is a big event
 that happens here in Austin every year, where hundreds of bands come into
 town to play, hoping to get some exposure (and if they're really lucky, a
 record contract).  Local bands play, too.  Some bands are totally unknown,
 and others already have lucrative record contracts.

 Fans pay $46 for a wristband, which serves as admission to get them into
 shows for the four-day event.  Most clubs in town are SXSW venues, and have
 about 3-6 bands a night, each doing about 1-hr. sets.

 Caroline Records had a showcase on Thursday at Scholtz's Beer Garden (which
 means that all the acts that played that night are on the Caroline label).
  Bands included Capsize 7, Engine 88, Ben Folds Five (does Caroline prefer
 bands with a number in their name or something), Idaho, Sincola, and Tanner.

 The first band (Capsize 7) started at 8:00, followed by E88, Idaho, Sincola,
 BF5, and Tanner.  I got there early because I didn't want to get turned away
 if the show was full.  The performance area at Scholtz's is in a huge outdoor
 patio that holds several hundred people, but I wasn't taking any chances.

 At this point in the story, I'll mention that I brought my Roland JV-35
 keyboard and an engraver I bought at the hardware store, in hopes of getting
 Ben to autograph it.  The nice Caroline folks let me keep it at their table
 while I was checking out the other bands and talking to friends.  During this
 time, I ran across Darren (BF5's drummer) in the audience.  I got him to sign
 my special pre-release BF5 cassette.  I asked him for advice on getting my
 keyboard autographed by Ben, and he told me just to approach him after the
 show and he was sure that Ben would do it.  I wanted to ask Darren a million
 other questions, but I figured he gets harrassed by fans enough.  He was very
 pleasant, but I still got the impression that I shouldn't push it, so I
 thanked him and split.

 The Caroline table (where I left my keyboard) is at the exact opposite end of
 the patio from the stage (probably so the table staff could hear and be able
 to converse with the people who stopped by), and I knew if I was going to get
 Ben to autograph my keyboard, I'd have to be right there at the stage.
  (Another problem was that I needed electricity for my engraver, but first
 things first.)

 So, before Sincola started, I hauled my keyboard case through the throng to
 get close to the stage.  I thought it was going to be tough, because there
 were a lot of people and I have a tough time moving through crowds even
 WITHOUT a keyboard case that's almost as big as I am, but apparently everyone
 thought I was some important musician, so they made room for me. :-)  It was
 an interesting experience -- I probably would have made worse time WITHOUT
 the keyboard.  On a side note, when I first got to the club, I tried to pay
 the cover charge since I didn't buy a wristband beforehand, and they tried to
 tell me that I didn't have to pay if I was with a band...  I told them I
 wasn't and I paid the $10, mostly because I didn't want to be discovered
 later and get kicked out and miss hearing my favorite band play. :-)  But
 anyway, now I know how to get into shows free -- just bring an instrument
 case!

 Okay, back to the story.  So, before Sincola started, I made my way close to
 the stage with my keyboard case.  I probably looked like a big dork leaning
 against an upright keyboard case, but I didn't care.  Sincola was good, and
 the place was nearly packed.  That's good, I thought...they're a really
 popular local band (their big radio hit is "Bitch"), and it's great that they
 brought a big crowd for BF5.  (BF5's show at the Electric Lounge here last
 month brought a sizable crowd, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't nearly as
 many as were there for Sincola this night.)

 Then Sincola's set was over.  I was already right up front, a little to the
 left of the piano.  I always hope to be able to see a little bit of what
 notes Ben is actually playing, but it never works -- the stage is too high
 up.  You pretty much have to be over the keyboard looking straight down to
 really pick up what's going on.  I did put my keyboard case down on the
 ground and stood on it, and that helped a little. :-)  The photographer also
 found my keyboard case to be a handy step stool.

 Another fan arrived (Meg?), [jen. -fjm] in a wheelchair because of a
 broken leg, and got a spot next to me.  She told me about how she had met
 Ben earlier in the hospitality lounge, and how he knew who she was right
 away because he had a copy of all the digests (yay Frank!), and she had
 mentioned in a digest that she was coming to the show in a wheelchair.
 (By the way, during the show, she got out of the wheelchair and stood up
 for a while, so never doubt the healing power of Ben Folds Five.)

 Ben appeared from within the crowd (rather from backstage, because there IS
 no backstage at Scholtz's), and climbed up on stage right in front of me and
 Meg.  I asked Ben if he would autograph my keyboard after the show.  In my
 appeal I mentioned that I rode six miles on my bicycle to the show
 specifically for the autograph.  (While this is true, I have to admit that I
 said it only because I know people are impressed by this sort of thing.  In
 fact, I haul all kinds of things on my bicycles -- and occasionally even use
 a flatbed trailer for larger items such as washing machines, dryers, couches,
 building materials, etc. -- and I don't think twice about it.  In this case,
 I just strapped the keyboard case between the two rear wheels of my
 adult-sized tricycle.)  Anyway, Ben made a quick weird face, showing his
 teeth, like he was scared or something. ?  But he said he'd give me the
 autograph.

 They were about to start.  When Ben took the stage the crowd started cheering
 a bit.  And by this time, the place was absolutely PACKED!  I thought Sincola
 was going to be the big draw, but the real draw was Ben Folds Five!  Ben
 walked up onto the piano, putting his left foot down on the bass keys and his
 right foot on the top of the piano, and put his hand above his eyes to peer
 out into the huge crowd of fans.  The crowd went wild.  Then Ben smiled.  It
 must feel good to know you've made it.  And his climbing up on the piano was
 so cool because he did it so naturally, like he just needed to get a better
 view, and the piano just happened to be the thing he needed to climb on top
 of in order to look out -- not like he was making a point to climb onto the
 piano specifically.

 It's good to see that they've made it, but it's also a little weird.  I mean,
 by total accident I got an advance copy of their tape last year before the CD
 was released.  I was blown away!  But, I thought, I wonder if I'll ever hear
 about them again.  There are a lot of good bands that nobody's ever heard of.
  So, I remember liking Ben Folds Five when I was the only person on the
 planet I knew of who had even heard of them.  Now, less than a year later,
 they're riding a wave of popularity.  It's well-deserved, and it's
 interesting to have been a fan during that rise to fame.

 Oh, about the piano -- when I first arrived, the first thing I did was to
 have a look at it, and I noticed that it was a shiny Baldwin.  What's odd
 about that is that Ben's piano is a BEAT-UP Baldwin.  I asked Darren about
 that when I ran into him before the show, and he said that they flew in for
 this show instead of driving, so they rented a piano.  (Usually they travel
 with Ben's old Baldwin in a Ryder truck.)  I wondered if the place that
 rented the piano would have done so if they know what Ben was going to do to
 it. :-)

 The announcer, some guy with a British accent who announced all the acts last
 night, said, "...straight from their sell-out tour of Japan...", at which
 point Robert (bass player) shouted something like "Yeah!  Fuckin' A!"

 They opened with Best Imitation of Myself, just as they did for their gig at
 the Electric Lounge here last month, and followed it with Uncle Walter.  They
 had a slightly shorter set than they would have had if it were their own
 show.  They played 10 of the 12 songs from the CD (omitting Sports & Wine and
 Boxing), and also omitted Song for the Dumped and Video Killed the Radio
 Star.  They DID play Stephen's Last Night Out.

 Watching Ben Folds Five gives me such mixed feelings.  On the one hand, it
 makes me feel joyous because I love the music, and it motivates me to work
 hard on my own music.  On the other hand, it makes me depressed to realize
 that I'm nowhere near as good as Ben Folds, but I should be.  By the time I
 was around 17, I could play everything on the radio, most of it by ear, and
 was used to everyone telling me I was the best pianist they ever heard.  (I
 played in a restaurant when I was 15-16).  Stupidly, I allowed myself to
 believe that I was good.  And never seeing anyone play who amazed me, I got
 complacent.  Also, I simply didn't play much music during my 20's.  Now I'm
 28, and while I'm okay, it frustrates me that I haven't improved in ten
 years.  Why am I not up on a stage playing like Ben Folds?  And now that I
 want to improve, who the hell gives lessons on how to play like that?  Oh
 well, maybe I could pay Ben to give me a lesson when my band swings through
 NC this summer...  I can play the structures of all their songs really well,
 but all those solos of piano gymnastics are just beyond me

 Sorry for getting off the topic of the show.  Okay, so anyway, after the
 show, Ben stuck around until he'd talked to every fan who wanted to talk to
 him and signed every autograph that was requested.  Maybe he's a really nice
 guy, or maybe he's getting off on the adoration of the fans?  I know I would!
  He smiled the whole time.

 While I was waiting my turn for my autograph and watching all the fans leech
 onto Ben, I was feeling a little sorry for myself for not being a star, but
 then a guy came up to me and said, "Hey!  You play with King Cheese, right?
  You rock!"  Man, he didn't know how I needed to hear that.  He wasn't quite
 as cute as the girls surrounding Ben, but it was good enough. :-)

 At this time, I met another local fan (Molly) and her friends.  She said
 she'd get together to sing BF5 songs, but I haven't heard from her.  (MOLLY
 WHERE ARE YOU?! :-)

 Ben waited until everyone else had cleared out before he autographed my
 keyboard.  Fortunately, there was a convenient electrical outlet at the end
 of the stage (the next band had started playing by now), and I was smart
 enough to have purchased a 12-ft. extension cord at the time I bought the
 engraver.  Ben signed my keyboard with the engraver, on the panel right above
 the treble keys.  It looks great!  (I tell you, NOTHING is going to motivate
 me to play well like seeing Ben Folds' name in his own handwriting on my
 keyboard every time I play.)  I was also happy that Ben remembered that I was
 the one who gave him the model ceramic piano at the show last month.  He
 smiled and said he loved it!  What a guy.

 Around this time, Chaz from Caroline Records in NYC asked me if I were
 Michael Bluejay.  Chaz was the guy who signed BF5...we had talked about a
 month ago on the phone when I was trying to find out if BF5 had a fan club.
  Chaz had told me to look for him at the Caroline table when he came in for
 the show, but he wasn't at the table earlier when I checked.  I guess he
 "recognized" me by my lugging a keyboard around, and because I think I told
 him about my mohawk.  (And by the way, I guess it's a good thing that Ben
 didn't hold that against me.  I was even thinking of wearing a nametag that
 said "Officer Friendly's Little Boy".)  Chaz even offered to help my band to
 get gigs when we play NYC this summer!  But maybe that's only because he
 wants to show up and sing BF5 karaoke... :-)

 I had wanted to play Ben a song I had written for them.  I figured I would
 hang around until the end of the night because he was going to have to load
 up his piano sooner or later.  But, because it was a rented piano, he
 wouldn't be coming back for it.  But it's okay -- I was so satiated by seeing
 the show and getting the autograph that it didn't matter.  I'll make a tape
 and send it to them.  Or maybe they'll come see my show in NC this summer?...

 I don't know how much of this blabbering that Frank is going to print, but
 anyway, thanks for letting me share this with you.  It's good to be in the
 company of fellow fans.  Who else could I share this with? :-)

 See ya,  -- Michael Bluejay, Austin TX

 Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 15:48:41 AST4ADT
 From: KEVIN HUBERT <EKH3854@Umoncton.Ca>
 Subject: Tape of Conan???

   There was one person that said they have the BFF on tape when
 they were at Conan O'Brian. Could I have a copy??? If the person that
 still have it wants to send me the tape, my e-mail adress is
 ekh3854@umoncton.ca

 Thank you very much!!!

 Kevin Hubert
 ekh3854@umoncton.ca

 Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 17:35:42 -0600 (CST)
 From: Levin <moxy@eden.com>
 Subject: House of Style...

 I just heard the beginning of 'Underground' on MTV's 'House of Style'.
 Anyone else see this?!

 Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 18:35:52 -0500 (EST)
 From: Jim's Wicked Mail <jlane@UDel.Edu>
 Subject: my own BF5 haiku

 I've been torturing my roommates with haiku about everyday life for
 years. Now's my chance to spread some joy about my favorite band. (Y'all
 remember the 5-7-5 format...)

 Jackson Cannery
 Wish I had that first record
 for the cool B-sides

 Jackson Cannery
 Philosophy is second
 and third, Julianne

 I got backstage pass
 for the Philly show, thursday.
 I can't stop smiling.

 Thank you!

               James Lane
 Minister of Information, 91.3 WVUD Newark
 Host of...Java Time, Mondays 6am - 9am...home of MONDAY MORNING MADNESS...
                           ...the most free stuff since the Rodney King riots!
     AND...Avenue C, alternate Wednesday nights 10pm - 1am...
                           ...from Mingus to Mahavishnu,
                                                     it's ALL jazz!
         But I can't help it with you, the good and bad comes through