 Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:02:29 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Adam H. Balevic" <adam@binary9.net>
 Subject: BFF show in Raleigh

 >  Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:42:48 -0500
 >  From: Alessandra Elizabeth Geboff <aegeboff@eos.ncsu.edu>
 >  Subject: Re: the real summer
 >
 >  i've heard that bff, squirrel nut zippers, and someone else will
 >  be playing a show at the ritz in raleigh in april---yippy!!!

 That would be the Ben Folds Five/Squirrel Nut Zippers/Geezer Lake
 show on March 29th. Stay tuned because I'll probably be giving away a
 free pass or two for that show.

 Cheers,

 Adam

  Adam Balevic                         adam@binary9.net
  Greensboro, NC            http://www.binary9.net/adam

 Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 15:12:44 -0800 (PST)
 From: Marc Nathan <mdnathan@netcom.com>
 Subject: Ben plays drums...

 ...and the FLEMING AND JOHN album "Delusions Of Grandeur" is re-released
 on a major label (Universal Records) this coming week. If you are already
 in the know on F&J, you know how close Ben is to this band, and if you
 are wanting to be in the know, check 'em out. There is an extensive tour
 itinerary, and a cool video that features Ben himself atop a wedding cake :)

 I have already given a Fleming & John CD away to the first person who
 correctly identified the difference between the BFF cassette and CD, so I
 need to come up with another silly contest.

 Hmmm...how bout...the first person who can tell me where my name is
 mentioned (in a current music magazine/newspaper), and in what context,
 wins NOT ONLY a Fleming & John CD, but a copy of the video as well.

 (Marc Nathan)

 Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 19:22:52 -0500 (EST)
 From: David Aron Reaboi <dreaboi@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
 Subject: add me to bff list!

 * i am very excited about joining any bff group. their music has
 impressed me a lot; it is classic songwriting and performing with an
 energetic modern bite. what else is there (regarding bff) on the 'net?

 Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 21:26:34 -0500 (EST)
 From: bubble@shadow.net
 Subject: My 2 cents worth

 Hello all.

 I dont know the real Summer B.  I do know,however, that BF5 is one of the
 best bands I've heard in a really long time. And I've heard a lot of bands.
 A lot.

 I hope they become the raging success we all know they should be (if there
 was any order to the universe), but please lord, not before I can see them
 in a small venue in a cool place

 The above also doubles as my nightly prayer. So...

 If any of the subscribers to this list work for Passenger or Caroline or 550
 Music or A&M (who's got the soundtracks to The Truth About Cats and Dogs and
 Mr. Wrong)    SEND BEN FOLDS FIVE TO FLORIDA!!!!!

 Thanks for the mailing list,
 Sanda
     "You'll care about it!
                         You'll care about it dammit, because I care about it!"

    -  Chandler Bing

 Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 00:42:49 -0500
 From: SHEBASS1@aol.com
 Subject: BFF - The other guys in the band/reply

 I think it's safe to say that he is clearly missing the point.  Michael, no
 one ever said that BFF doesn't revolve around Ben.  The point is that Ben is
 not the only one in the band.  Basically, a comment was made that "Ben went
 on stage at midnight..." and "... he played everything from the CD".  Well,
 my point was that Ben was not on the stage alone, nor did he play a solo
 show.  It's easy for people to completely overlook the supporting cast, but
 sometimes they're what makes good songs great.  I'll tell you right now, a
 rhythm section will make or break a band.  Ask all those songwriters out
 there who can't find a good rhythm section.  Yes, Ben is a great singer, a
 great songwriter, and a great piano player -- and by sticking up for bass
 players and drummers out there it sounds like I don't respect him, but that's
 not the case.  I respect him for what he is -- a great singer, a great
 songwriter and a great pianist, but that shouldn't lessen my feelings for the
 band as a whole.  Great players are a dime a dozen, but great chemistry
 between great players is what makes great bands.  And Ben Folds Five is,
 without question, a great band.  They're all virtuosos, and it would greatly
 benefit any musician to listen and learn from all three of these guys --
 because this is the perfect example of what a great band is all about!

 See ya.

 Eileen

 Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 12:36:00 -0500 (EST)
 From: Jim's Wicked Mail <jlane@UDel.Edu>
 Subject: Philadelphia 3/21/96

   Last nite was a fine fine show. The fact that Ben was using the venue's
 piano instead of his own held no effect on the bodyslams, kicking of the
 keyboard, and pounding it with his bench/stool.
   They played "Video Killed..." in the encore, as well as "Song For the
 Dumped" and "Idaho" (and even a mockery of "Freebird"!) , and they played
 everything off the album, except "Where's Summer B.". Then again, they
 may have played it. I was ousted from the theater for bootlegging and
 missed about 2 songs before I could sweet-talk my way back in... (coming
 from a Deadhead background, I never understood the problem with trying to
 capture the moment on Memorex, solely for reminiscent purposes and
 passing on to a buddy who regretfully missed the show...)
   I interviewed Ben before the show, and he was a really cool and
 down-to-earth guy. I asked him if he had any words of wisdom for his
 internet digest fan club and he said "Tell them to remember to always fold
 your clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer." I am guessing he said
 this because he was tending to his road-worn laundry as I was interviewing
 him, but if any of you out there want to look deeper philosophically into it,
 feel free to translate to the world.
   By the way, the Robert looks just like Peter Brady.

 =================================================jlane@strauss.udel.edu=======
               James Lane
 Minister of Information, 91.3 WVUD Newark
 Host of...Java Time, Mondays 6am - 9am...home of MONDAY MORNING MADNESS...
                           ...the most free stuff since the Rodney King riots!
     AND...Avenue C, alternate Wednesday nights 10pm - 1am...
                           ...from Mingus to Mahavishnu,
                                                     it's ALL jazz!

 Date: Sat, 23 Mar 96 13:10:18 1000
 From: Mat Pagen <galileo@mindspring.com>
 Subject: BFF ABC in concert missing?

    Did anyone else experience a loss of feed as the ABC In Concert
 program was about to start?  What happened to ABC?  All the other
 stations were working, and ABC was fine until the show was supposed to
 begin... Was anyone able to record the show, and if so, did anyone tape
 the entire show (I'm a big John Hiatt fan, too) and would be interested
 in dubbing a copy?  If so, please e-mail me at
        galileo@mindspring.com
    Thank you, anyone with any answers.

 Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 02:11:24 CST
 From: binky@clubhouse.email.net
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #55

 BOYCOTT ABC! Such a tease... Only 2/3 of "Philosophy" and 15 sec of "Uncle
 Walter"... If it was on cable I'd ask for my money back... Good company,
 though (John Hiatt and The Beatles)... "In Concert"? Try "In Complete"...
 Am I ranting, or is it just me?

 Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 16:35:26 EDT
 From: Ned Norland <nnorland@walnut.prs.k12.nj.us>
 Subject: Philly Show

 Well, there's only one thing to say about the show last night in Philly, it
 was INCREDIBLE...

 but for those of you who want more, I'll expand. It was completely sold
 out, thus about 300 people where there to check out either Ben Folds Five
 or one of the openers; the Low Road, who is the next Dave Matthews Band,
 and the plagued by technical problems Ben Arnold. My friend and I arrived
 about 45 minutes before the show started hoping to make some connections.
 We talked to the guy fooling around with the T-shirts, and there is now a
 new one on tour with 'em. White with red around the edges of the
 sleeves/collar. on the front it has a polaroid of ben's middle finger
 playing a piano key. in the top margin of the picture is written "Middle C"
 (he's playing middle C) and on the bottom margin one might find "Ben Folds
 Five" written there. The other shirt is like people said before, except
 there was never a white, it was a tan with black writing. However, they
 don't have any more of the tan ones, so there's only the blue w/ white.
 Anyways, turns out this guy is a friend of the band and he's the one that
 actually took the picture on the shirt, so we talk to him for awhile and
 then take our places at the front of the stage. Opening Acts: dull in
 general. as the guys were setting up for Ben & Co, I decided to write a
 letter to the guys to see if they would come out and chat for a little
 while. I gave it to the friend who was now helping set up the stage to give
 to Ben, which he did. The boys came out and played an incredible eighty
 minute set: all of the album, Video Killed the Radio Star, a little bit of
 Freebird (by "request") w/ slightly different lyrics, Song for the Dumped,
 along with 2 new songs: one called something like 12 Dwarfs and something
 like Steven. Anyways, everyone was really tight and Ben seemed to be having
 a grand ol' time jumping around on his piano. Ben said that they felt like
 they were playing back home for the first time this tour (or something like
 that)... fortunately, I brought my tape recorder and my friend brought his
 camera. The bass was turned WAY up, so on my tape it sometimes overpowers
 the piano, but the vocals can actually be heard in the mix. The pictures
 will hopefully turn out well too... after the show, I jumped up on stage to
 grab a set list for myself and my friend. I got one, and as I was searching
 for the other, security got pissy and grabbed me. Of course, my friend asks
 for it 5 minutes later and he gets it...after 5 minutes security starts
 moving us  out if we don't have a pass, so we decide to wait outside for a
 little while. After 15 minutes of nothing, I decide to go around to the
 alley in the back and see if anythings happening. There's another band
 rooms" and knock on the door. Ben and Robert invite me inside and I talk to
 two great guys for about 5 minutes. I headed back to the front where my
 friend was waiting, running the entire way. We waited for another 20
 minutes to see if they would come out front where their van was, but we got
 cold after awhile and decided we needed to get home.

 Overall: A++, possibly the best performers I've seen.

 -ned norland
 nnorland@walnut.prs.k12.nj.us

 p.s.- if anyone wants to do any trading, email me.

 -----Princeton Regional Schools takes no responsibility for the
     accuracy or content of the above message.

    [Ned: From your description and that of James Lane above it sounds
 like the security people were a bunch of geeks. Is this the City of
 Brotherly Love?
     The Low Road are a really good Philadelphia band. I heard them when
 they toured with Barenaked Ladies about a year ago. -fjm]

 Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 21:36:55 -0500 (EST)
 From: Ben Hill <benhill@nr.infi.net>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #54

 Hello all!  I am a newbie here, and I have a couple of questions.  First of
 all I live in High Point, NC, and I am interested in seeing the show in
 Raliegh.  Does any one know the details of the show?  ( How to get there,
 all ages, opening band???) Do tell. I have the BFF album and I was wondering
 if there are any other earlier albums or demos. If so, do tell!  Finally, if
 there are any BFF fans around here please e-mail me.

                                 Evan
                     " Has boxing been good to you?"

 P.S. I believe BFF is a BAND, not a man, and they sound the most like the
 Beatles!

 Date: Sat Mar 23 23:29:57 1996
 From: nate fitzgerald <natefitz@chop.isca.uiowa.edu>

 I was sitting in my livingroom becoming more and more bored by the second
 of ABC's endless coverage of the Beatle's new videos, when I saw you guys,
 I loved it and I'd love to learn more about you!
 -thanks

 Nate Fitzgerald

 Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:25:38 -0500 (EST)
 From: "trichter's tricks inc." <nirvana1@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: Re: ben folds

 looking at the dates for march it says that they are playing raleigh nc
 on the 30th.  any word on if they're gonna do something in chapel hill?
 -steve

 my whole existance is for your amusement
 and that is why i'm here with you

     x    x

    ~.    .~
      ~U~~

 Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 21:41:18 -0800
 From: Michael Rolli <rollim01@mchip00.med.nyu.edu>
 Subject: BF5 on WNEW, NY

 I'm listening to them live on 102.7 WNEW, NY.  I don't think that they
 normally play BF5, but they may start now.

 -Michael Rolli
 rollim01@popmail.med.nyu.edu

     [Did you or anyone get it on tape? -fjm]

 Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 23:47:39 -0800
 From: Michael Rolli <rollim01@mchip00.med.nyu.edu>
 Subject: Lyrics

 I have a somewhat correct version of (Every Night Is) Steven's Last
 Night.  I transcribed it from memory.  I've seen them a few times and
 they've played it several times.  Actually it's from a live show they did
 on WNEW, NY.  I also transcribed One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces.
 I've seen this one done a few times as well.  There are probably some
 mistakes, especially in 1AD and 200SF but it should be pretty accurate.
 Feel free to make any corrections.  I've attached them to this mailing as
 benflds1.wpd {WordPerfect for Windows format} and benflds1.txt {plain
 ascii}.

 Enjoy.

 --Michael Rolli
 rollim01@popmail.med.nyu.edu

    [Rather than include them here, I've put them up on the web page. Look
 under Discography. -fjm]

 Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 20:43:33 -0600
 From: Scott Hogue <shogue@accessus.net>

 I have one question.  I am from Nashville, and I am almost certain that I
 have seen these guys play about 1 year ago.  I was at 12 th and Porter, and
 I saw a band (the Semantics- a brilliant unsigned band that is a gem in its
 own right).  The opening act called themselves Jody's PowerBill (the name
 was taken from parts of the three guys in the Semantics) and had the same
 instrumentation.  Those guys all had writing deals with Sony, and seeing
 Fleming and John's name on the liner notes of the album tell me that these
 guys have been to Nashville before their Exit Inn gig his year.   So...am I
 correct in making this assumption?

 What an absolutely fabulous band, keep up the good work with this good web page.

 Sincerely,

 Scott Hogue

 Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:08:34 -0500 (EST)
 From: ian s fay <ifay@lynx.dac.neu.edu>
 Subject: The BFF Boston Show

 Just a few comments about the BFF Boston show.

 First, I'd like to say YES!

 Sorry. I ended up meeting the band and even talking with Ben for a few
 minutes as the left to go get something to eat before the show. He asked
 for a directions to a good restaurant, and even put us on the guest
 list.

 He expressed a disappointment in the Underground video, and said
 something to the effect of that'll be their last. Bummer.

 The show itself: Other than an extremely mediocre performance by The
 Customers, pretty f*cking cool.

 They played all the songs on the album, as well as Song For The Dumped,
 Video Killed The Radio Star (during the encore), One Angry Dwarf and 200
 Solemn Faces (one of the best sone titles I've heard in awhile, right up
 the with Pink Floyd as an all time fave), and one song I hadn't heard
 before.

 There were even a few jams interspersed between the songs, usually
 starting with Ben plucking out something, then having it become a full
 blown jam shortly after. Everyone got their time in the sun alone, with
 a good long bass and drum solo as well.

 Ben did his usual stand on the piano bit, but the ceiling at Mama Kin's
 is rather low, so e was right up there in the rafters after doing so and
 ended up swinging Tarzan style along the beams across the stage.

 Very nice overall.
 --
 %            Ian Fay                  % "That which does not kill us makes  %

 their appearance on ABC In Concert. I agree, they shorted them but they
 are a new act to the national scene and considering the other topic, the
 Beatles, they are fortunate to get on with such a high-profile subject.
 Next time, though, they'll be given more time for sure! -fjm]

                     I can't relax and I'd like to go back