 Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:20:59 -0500 (EST)
 From: allison <allison@servtech.com>
 Subject: wierd thing...

 weird thing happened to me today...  went into the local sam goody, and was
 looking around for a few things.  thought i'd check out if they still had
 any BF5.  (it's where i got it originally, but hadn't seen it there
 since)...  so there i am in the B's...  they had big slips up for sales on
 the popular cd's - beatles...  bush...  BEN FOLDS FIVE?!?!?  it was on sale
 right next to the beatles with a big sign and everything!  i don't know if
 that's good or bad - last time i saw a band on sale like that that i hadn't
 heard of, it was the presidents, and within a week, they were HUGE!  it
 would be great if they got all the fame they deserve, but i hate for people
 to not like them cuz they "sold out" or are overplayed or something...  have
 you guys noticed that they seem to be a real critic's favorite?  the public
 hasn't caught on to them as much as the critics have.  but they are
 wonderful, and will get all the glory that they deserve.  and keep coming
 out with more great music, hopefully!

 :)
 al

 Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:51:48 -0500
 From: KhobKhun@aol.com
 Subject: erica67@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu

 > something on the lines of me thanking dave

 Don't worry, I did.  How ungrateful do you think I am.  Geeze.

 -mark

 Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 19:58:05 -0600
 From: Geoffrey McNulty <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: cats and dogs and ben and maude

 Yes, "cats & Dogs comes out on Apr. 2.

 geoff

 Geoffrey McNulty              |
 Asst. Promotions Director     |
                               |  "...what's the use in being young
 UW Madison Student Radio      |           if u ain't gonna get old..."
 gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu    |
                               |                             --O{+>
 (608) 264-2261                |
 Madison Student Radio -- "It's coming...are you?"

 Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 21:10:02 -0500
 From: Todd Smith <tmsmith2@ix.netcom.com>

 Hey guys,
 My girlfriend and I caught you at the Avalon in Boston for the WBCN Xmas Rave
 .  Well, you impressed the hell out of us.  After hearing you on Modern Rock
 Live I was intrigued, but seeing you live was amazing.  We'd like to get on
 your mailing list.

 Thanks and keep up the good work!
 Todd Smith
 tmsmith2@ix.netcom.com

 Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 21:40:27 -0500 (EST)
 From: Somebody to Love <erica67@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
 Subject: In response to the Customers Comments by Erica

 (I am writing this to the list and to David Burgbacher)
 What I was trying to get across is that almost every band has roots in
 another band. When I listen to Dave Matthews, Phish, and Rusted Root, I
 see some of the Grateful Dead. Maybe not a LOT of influence, but
 influence none the less... Ok. now thinking back on it, Rusted Root
 doesn't really sound like another band, but still those other bands that
 I mentioned (including stuff like Bush, Silverchair, etc) have their
 roots and sound from other bands, but still attract tons of fans and
 admirers. I thought the Customers were OK. The major problem with the
 choice of the Customers as an opening act is: (This is a major revelation)
 THE CUSTOMERS ARE A HARD ROCK BAND. BEN FOLDS FIVE IS NOT.
 IE: THE CUSTOMERS WILL ATTRACT A DIFFERENT CROWD THAN BEN FOLDS FIVE.
 IE: MOST BFF LISTENERS WILL NOT LIKE THE CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF THIS
     DIFFERENCE.
 Thank you and goodnight!
 Respectfully Submitted for your viewing pleasure,
 Erica
 "Some summers in the evening after six or so, I walk on down the hill,
  Maybe buy me a beer. I think about my friends, you know sometimes I wish
  they lived out here, but they wouldn't dig this town."
 					-Ben Folds Five (Alice Childress)
 ******************I do the best imitation of myself.....*******************
 contact                                  http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~erica67

 Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 23:12:36 -0500
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BF5 Sheet Music

 >>  There is currently not a Ben Folds Five piano music book, or published
 sheet
  music that I know about.  If you want you can write to the band's producers
  and ask(DEMAND) that they make a BFF songbook.

 Man, if everybody keeps demanding sheet music, I may just put something
 together myself.  Maybe just the chords and melody line, and I wouldn't have
 time to do that until much later this year.  You know, Ben's playing style
 doesn't really lend itself to being transcribed -- what *I'D* like to see is
 an instructional video.  Heck, if someone could make a concert video from a
 good vantage point (like several feet above Ben but with a closeup of the
 keys), that would be ideal for learning!  That's my dream...

 Speaking of instructional videos, on a lark I recently bought a mail-order
 video called "How to Play Keyboards in a Rock & Roll Band, with David Bryan".
  After I got it I found out that David Bryan is from Bon Jovi :-(...  Anyway,
 the tape's not really very good, but I don't need it any more and I can't
 return it, so if any of you aspiring keyboard players want it, I'll send it
 to you for the cost of shipping alone.

 I played BF5 on the Yamaha grand in the student union again today.  It's
 gonna be a damn good feeling when somebody there finally recognizes this
 music because they've heard of BF5!

 Oh, and to AZUSA MOTOHASHI:

 "mailing list" ni irrasshaimase!  watakushi wa kyonen no natsu kara BF5 no
 fan desu.  kyoo daigaku no "student union" de piano o ensoo shita toki,
 nihonjin no gakusei to aimashita demo, karera wa BF5 o kiita koto ga
 arimasen. :-(

 -- Michael Bluejay,  Austin, TX

    [Michael, watch your language. There are minors on the list. -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 00:33:59 -0500
 From: Opus <opusmo@tiac.net>
 Subject: The Truth about The Truth About Cats & Dogs

 > if you're talking about "The Truth About Cats and Dogs", that soundtrack
 > comes out Apr 9, last I heard :)
 > shanna

         I doubt that very much, i'm listening to it right now. The song's
 title is "Bad Idea" (but some might know it as "Retarded") and it's pretty
 good; a lot harder rockin' than the other stuff. The piano is downplayed
 and the bass is pretty loud.  Of course, I've listened to it a total of one
 time (I just got it today) so I can't give an accurate review. The bad news
 is it's only one minute, 55 seconds long.
         In other news, while I was buying the soundtrack at the store I
 work at, I started poking through the free posters bin, and asked my friend
 who works there if he had seen anything good. He was just saying "no" when
 I pulled a Ben Folds Five poster out of the bunch. He lied, I guess.

         love and midgets,

                                 opus

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 01:14:30 -0500
 From: MARK400@aol.com
 Subject: Re: BF5 On the Folder

      I wasn't really too serious about Ben, Darren, or Robert leaving a
 message in the folder.  I was just being optimistic.  I told Ben about the
 folder in February in New Orleans.  He had mentioned hearing about it.  I am
 a huge fan of the band.  I flew to New Orleans just to see them.  I also saw
 them in Houston the next night.  I brought about 10 friends with me.  I met
 Ben in October here in Houston when they were touring with Heather Nova.  I
 have heard he has shown curiosity at who MARK400 is.  If you can tell him it
 is just Nikki's friend from Houston who he talked with before the New Orleans
 show.  I am pretty sure he will remember because he asked my friend Nikki
 about me in Austin.
 I look forward to hearing from you and if you want to save time you can send
 information to the MMC board by emailing it to me.  I will personally
 guarantee it will get there.  ie. tourdates, release info, video info.  I
 also hope to see BF5 in my vicinity this summer.

 Thanx
 Mark Rendon.

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 02:22:11 -0500 (EST)
 From: David Aron Reaboi <dreaboi@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
 Subject: BF5 Poll

 * in reading this wonderful journal that i get every day, i often think
 of who exactly ben folds five fans are. the varying views on a number of
 issues of debate lead me to believe that bf5 fans are somewhere between
 lite fm radio and the alternative scene. (no metal-heads, i'm pretty sure.)
 * i think it would be a good idea if we found out exactly who we are as
 part of the world of ben folds fivedom. i'll be working on a questionaire
 that all our members could fill out; its results should be intersting.
 * [PS: another discovery! listen to Oasis' "she's electric." then listen to
 "while my guitar gently weeps." the chorus has been stolen yet again!]

 Dave Reaboi
 George Washington University

    [Dave: To ease the administrative burden on the listmanager (me!),
 please have people e-mail the questionnaire back to you, and not to the
 list, or set it up as a form on a web page. If you do the latter, let me
 know the URL and I'll put it on the BFF pages. -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:16:41 -0500 (EST)
 From: Chuck Folds
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #60

 I'm not sure if its a good or bad omen that someone named ZDarrah 106
 saw me & Ben
 in a dream playing in a Macy's window, I hope its good!
 What I look like is Ben's brother wearing glasses, a beard and a couple
 years younger.
 see ya
 Chuck

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:57:44 -0500 (EST)
 From: intcsb02@midget.towson.edu
 Subject: BFF: To my dear erica (the Customers' fan)

 erica
 struck a nerve have i?  let me begin by saying that the thing about the
 roadies was purely for humor, but since you're covering their ass explain
 the photographer and camera man taping them.  I'm sure that was really
 necessary.  opening bands are not always chosen by the headliners
 either.  (you're vast music critic knowledge should at least know that)
 you were right about one thing, there are a lot of crappy bands out there
 and coming from D.C. I'm sure you're aware of quite a few.  But being
 from D.C. you should also know there are a hundred bands better than that
 old-washed-up-wanna-be-punk-but-can't-find-the-youthfulness-to-play-it
 band.  When you started mentioning bands like Toadies, Bush, Silverchair
 and the rest I knew that you might like the customers.  I'm right outside
 of Baltimore, and I appreciate the full potential of what's going on
 around your town and my town, I can't believe you'd waste your time with
 commercial bull****.  I think most of the true BFF fans on this list
 would understand what I mean when I say the Customers music is not
 innovative, meaningful or interesting.  If for some ungodly reason Ben
 did choose the Customers of all people to open I'll forgive him this time
 but hopefully he'll choose someone better next time (that won't be too
 hard since that means anyone else).

 By the way, I'm glad you got to know the singer on a first name basis,
 you probably got to interview him like the real rock star he is.  I'm
 sure your getting to know him had nothing to do with your opinion of
 them. (yeah right). Ryan's on his way to stardom all he has to do is kiss
 999,999 more asses to go platinum. It worked once, right erica?

 love
 J.C.

 yes erica "I've got my philosophy"

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:59:18 -0500 (EST)
 From: Jenn Halter <jlh4935@email.unc.edu>

 to Zach:

 i don't agree with your complaint about BF5 getting big.  There is
 nothing wrong with that- anyway, they aren't really as popular as they
 COULD be
 yet.  just wait...but i know how you feel- my favorite band went from
 playing to around less than 300 people to over 20,000 in one year! It was
 weird with all the teeny boppers and people who only knew 2 or 3 of the
 songs!  I wonder if BF will ever go that far? :)

 jenn

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:06:30 -0500 (EST)
 From: Jim's Wicked Mail <jlane@UDel.Edu>
 Subject: BF5 Tapes? answer

 >  From: Hooley21@aol.com
 >  I was wondering if the band allows live taping(much the same as Phish or
 >  DMB). I'm really into the tape trading thing and am very interested in
 >  getting some BF5.

   *Well, if you try it in Philadelphia, they'll grab your recorder and
 throw you out of the theater violently, and then you'll have to
 smooth-talk your way back in. Unless of course, your name is Ned, who
 must be cooler (or at least more discreet) than myself.

     \|/ ____ \|/                 With love from James
      @~/ ,. \~@		          ******************
     /_( \__/ )_\                   Wiseass at large
        \__U_/			    jlane@udel.edu

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:21:51 -0500
 From: TRMull@aol.com
 Subject: vote uncle walter

 i work in a record store and have received word that the uncle walter "EP" is
 coming on april 9th. i don't know whats on it, i know it's coming on the 9th.
 look for it.
        lookingforward
           trmull

 Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 13:37:05 -0500 (EST)
 From: AGNEND86@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU
 Subject: Commenting from file

 I've checked out your BF5 page a few times, and I'm pretty impressed.
 Their album is great.  I can't get enough of these guys.  Anyways, I work
 at my s schools radio ststion up here in Buffalo, and today we got in a
 soundtrack for a film called THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS AND DOGS, and it looks
 like there's a new BF5 song on it called "Bad Idea".  I haven't even
 gotten a chance to listen to it yet, but I will when I get home.  It's on
 A&M.  The rest of the soundtrack doesn't look too good.  I just sent away
 for the D-Tox 7".  I hope they still have some left.  Please put me on
 your mailing list if you could.  Thanks!
                                                                  -Neal

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:01:27 -500
 From: TMARSHAL@Calumet.Yorku.Ca

 i was writing because i wanted to be on the Bensfolds Five mailing list.  i
 saw them in concert in january.  they played with Sheryl Pope in Toronto.
 my friends and i were singing along with the songs.  we had people come up
 to us and ask us how we new there songs.

 we ended up talking to the band for a few minutes.  they are a cool bunch of
 guys :)

 Tonia

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:30:07 -0500
 From: Dunehop@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #61

 does anyone know how to get the piano, to the bff songs........is there a
 book you can buy with the songs in it........................zz

 Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 20:18:27 -0800
 From: Reid Davis <reid2@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: BFF in Atlanta, 4/21

 WORD TO THE WISE for those anywhere in the Atlanta vicinity...  BFF are
 coming to the Roxy theatre (a fairly imtimate 1000seat-ish venue) in
 Atlanta on April 21st (mark yer calendars) to do a special
 "freeloaders" show for radio station WNNX ("99x")- A station which,
 BTW, just recently demonstrated its cluelessness by picking up
 "Underground" 6 months after 100 radio stations were already playing
 it, then adding insult to injury by calling it a "breakthrough" track.
 Sheesh.  But I digress.  The show is free to those with a "99X card"
 and five smackers for everyone else.  Local band Memory Dean is opening
 the show.  (Frat-rock acoustic, BTW.  Hootie wannabees.  Ugh.)

 And for those late-night netizens, it's still not too late to set yer
 VCRs to catch Fleming and John on Conan...  12:35 EST!

 Cheers.
 Reid

 Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 00:39:00 -0600
 From: Geoffrey McNulty <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: The truth about Mr. Wrong

 The soundtrack fot "...cats and dogs" did come out today.  unfortunately i
 have no money for anything until my friend at home sends me her money for
 the tori amos ticket that i got for her.  by the way, if anyone hasn't heard
 the "Mr. Wrong" version of "song for the dumped" and has enough memory, let
 me know and i'll send it to you as an email attachment.  It turned out much
 better than I thought it wold, transfering it onto my harddrive and all).

 geoff

 Geoffrey McNulty              |
 Asst. Promotions Director     |
                               |  "...what's the use in being young
 UW Madison Student Radio      |           if u ain't gonna get old..."
 gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu    |
                               |                             --O{+>
 (608) 264-2261                |
                      They seem to think I'm made of clay