 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:28:57 -0700
 From: Joe Sweetser <joes@Access.COM>
 Subject: philospohy, bass players, customers

 >  One of my friends, who is also a fan of BF5, has an interesting theory about
 >  "Philosophy".  Here's what he thinks....
 >
 >  "My philosophy is that he is expressing his situation on the size of his
 >  penis.  In my opinion, he expresses in the song that he is happy with his
 >  penis size and that everyone else can f*** themselves if they feel
 >  differently about his philosophy.  I could probably give you a better brief
 >  on this song if I listened to it again, so I will when I get home and write
 >  you again tomorrow."

 No offense intended, but I'd venture to say that it is your friend who has
 the small penis and doesn't feel nearly as comfortable about it as Ben does.
 Um, unless, of course, your friend is female.  But somehow I doubt it.

 >                                             - Peace, love, and understanding,
 >                                                           Flea
 >
 >                                                    (no, not the bassist)

 I doubt the bassist would close a message the way you did.  FWIW, I saw the
 RHCP on April 1 in Denver and the show was amazingly short.  I think BFF
 played longer last month when I saw them.

 And in regards to the Customers thread...I have a theory that if everybody
 put as much effort into *listening* to music as the artist(s) do *creating*
 the music....well, we would all like a lot more music.

 later,
 joe

 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:12:42 -0800
 From: Stewart <cochrans@apple.com>

 >  Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 16:36:48 EST
 >  From: REUBEN FRANK <RoobWorld@prodigy.com>
 >  Subject: BF5 and sheet music
 >
 >  On the question of Ben Folds Five sheet music, Michael Bluejay wrote,
 >  "You know, Ben's playing style doesn't really lend itself to being
 >  transcribed."
 >
 >  Huh?
 >
 >  Any type of music can be transcribed. Even eclectic jazzy pop like
 >  Ben's. Any piano music "lends itself to being transcribed." Anybody
 >  who's taken Music Theory 101 knows this.
 >
 >  Hey, I can't pretend I'm as talented a keyboard player as you - who
 >  is? - but I'm ready to give the BF5 stuff a whirl as soon as the
 >  folio is published. Did you stop and think that maybe the reason
 >  nobody's recognized your playing as Ben's music is that you're just
 >  not very good?
 >
 >        roob

 I see no need for a personal attack on Michael. He's correct, however,
 those huge
 bench-on-the-keys chord clusters aren't so easy and would be rather
 pointless to chart out note-for-note.  I'm  just wondering why you need to
 wait for a "folio"  Can't you just pick it up off
 the CD by ear?  That's what I learned in Music Theory 101.

 St

 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:37:50 -0500 (EST)
 From: "JOHN Z. MULL" <jzmull@hamlet.uncg.edu>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #63

 >  Any type of music can be transcribed. Even eclectic jazzy pop like
 >  Ben's. Any piano music "lends itself to being transcribed." Anybody
 >  who's taken Music Theory 101 knows this.
 >
 >  Hey, I can't pretend I'm as talented a keyboard player as you - who
 >  is? - but I'm ready to give the BF5 stuff a whirl as soon as the
 >  folio is published. Did you stop and think that maybe the reason
 >  nobody's recognized your playing as Ben's music is that you're just
 >  not very good?
 >
 >        roob

 Rube, luv, calm down.  I think he meant "transcribed easily," ok?  He
 meant it's not like three chord punk rock that anybody can pick up on.
 	Point two, there is not reason or excuse to personally attack anyone
 else on this list.  So knock it off.  Let's all be friends.

 						zach.

 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 14:35:52 -0500
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BF5 Sheet Music Controversy

 Reuben Frank wrote about my post:

 >>  Any type of music can be transcribed. Even eclectic jazzy pop like Ben's.
 Any piano music "lends itself to being transcribed." Anybody who's taken
 Music Theory 101 knows this.

 >> Did you stop and think that maybe the reason nobody's recognized your
 playing as Ben's music is that you're just not very good?

 I'd like to keep this friendly, so I won't comment on your insults of my
 music knowledge or playing ability other than in a factual way. :-)

 Music Theory 101 covers traditional playing.  But much of Ben's playing is
 not traditional.  As just one example, I suspect that on some of the rolls
 and solos that he's going for an overall effect vs. trying to hit every note
 precisely the same way every time -- I think he may be just trying to get
 "close".  As Mary wrote in the last digest:  "Throughout the show, he was
 stomping
  on the keys (with his feet!), and playing stupidly fast, with his fingers,
 his elbow, and sometimes his whole arm, getting up on the body of the piano,
 though the ceiling was kinda low, and at the end of one song he jumped off
 the speaker in front of me to crash into the length of the keyboard for the
 final, er, chord."  Have fun transcribing THAT. :-)

 Even difficult parts that can be transcribed (with difficulty), would also be
 very difficult to read -- I mean, playing it is hard enough, but first you've
 got to tackle being able to read and interpret it (a hard enough job) before
 you can even attempt the hard job of playing it.  (And no, I can't play it
 nearly as well as Ben does!  I humbly defer!)  I just think that watching Ben
 play his music via a videotape would make it a lot easier to learn, since it
 eliminates a cumbersome step.  Sheet music is an attempt to COPY what a
 musician plays, it's not the actual music -- watching somebody play it gives
 you direct access to the actual music itself.  Of course, I realize that we
 don't have the ability to watch a tape of Ben, so sheet music would be the
 next best thing (except we don't have sheet music, either).  Normally I would
 agree with you -- I've certainly found that sheet music was sufficient to
 play any popular music besides Ben's.

 As for my playing ability, I'm puzzled as to how you can judge that when
 you've never heard me play.  But in answer to your query, people recognize
 everything ELSE I play besides Ben Folds Five, so I have to conclude that
 they just don't know the songs.  Actually, I don't have to conclude.  When
 they come up to me and ask, "What was that?" or "Did you write that?" and I
 tell them it's Ben Folds Five, they say, "Who?"  Even when I played a crappy
 non-touch-sensitive Korg LP-10 with a cheesy vibraphone/muzak tone in a
 restaurant when I was 16, people recognized the Ozzy, Rush, Led Zep, Blondie,
 Fixx, Pat Benatar I played (what I was into then), even without vocal
 accompaniment.

 I don't know why you have it in for me, but I bear you no ill will.  Ben does
 not want us to hate each other.  Can't we all just get along? :-)

 Love,  Michael Bluejay  (Austin, TX)

 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:44:47 -0800
 From: Ron Fein <ronfe@MICROSOFT.com>
 Subject: someone should ask one of the guys about The Customers

 Here's an idea. Since 90% of us on the list have spoken to one of the
 guys before or after a show, and 90% (not all, but 90%) of us hated The
 Customers, maybe someone on one of the remaining tour dates should ask
 one of the guys (ideally Ben, but Darren or Robert will suffice) why
 exactly they are touring with The Customers. Maybe they have some good
 reason. Maybe they hate them too.

 Ron
 My opinions are not those of the Microsoft Corporation - Microsoft
 loves customers and has never heard of Ben Folds Five.

 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 15:47:25 -0500
 From: Hotdoglove@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five

 Hello!  I just read the 63rd issue of the digest (?) and I thought that
 everyone sounded like really nice people.  The first time I heard
 Underground, I just started jumping up and down and going crazy.  I listened
 to the radio until the song came on again and I taped it.  I just bought the
 Ben Folds Five CD about a month ago and have been listening religiously to it
 ever since.  I read Mary's (i think) review of the Providence concert and it
 just made me so excited, because BFF are coming to Atlanta on April 21 and I
 am going to buy tickets today!  I was excited before, but now I'm wondering
 if I'll be able to sleep!  Anyway, I just wanted to find someone else who
 shares my love of BFF and I guess I found a lot of people!  On March 30, Ben
 Folds called me!!!!!!!!  Can you believe that?  I wrote them a letter, and he
 called me to hear my answering machine, but I actually got to talk to him!
  He put me on the guest list for the concert!!!!!!!!  I honestly can't wait!

 Bye!
 Sara  Hotdoglove@aol.com
 My favorite quote:  "Wherever you go, there you are."

 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 15:59:45 -0600
 From: jen sansbury <sansbury@bluemarble.net>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #62

 On Mon, 1 Apr 1996 21:40:27 -0500 (EST), Somebody to Love
 <erica67@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:

 > influence none the less... Ok. now thinking back on it, Rusted Root
 > doesn't really sound like another band, but still those other bands that
 > I mentioned (including stuff like Bush, Silverchair, etc) have their
 > roots and sound from other bands, but still attract tons of fans and
 > admirers.

 perhaps you need to check out poi dog pondering. i personally think rusted
 root's sound borrows a lot from what poi dog has been doing for over 10
 years - with less pretense.

 now back to your regularly scheduled BFF digest ...

 - jen

 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                      sansbury@bluemarble.net
           http://www.bluemarble.net/~sansbury/jen.html
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  "Is it so wrong, wanting to be at home with your record
  collection? It's not like collecting records is like collecting
  stamps, or beermats, or antique thimbles. There's a whole world
  in here, a nicer, dirtier, more violent, more peaceful, more
  colorful, sleazier, more dangerous, more loving world than the
  world I live in ..."
                                         "High Fidelity"
                                                 - Nick Hornby
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 18:22:25 -0500
 From: IamFult@aol.com
 Subject: BF5 in SPIN

 So anyway, I was reading my latest copy of SPIN magazine while waiting for
 AOL to connect (I have a REALLY short attention span) and BAM...the first
 page I turn to, there's Ben, Darren, and Robert, all decked out on page 21.
  I won't relay what the interview says (It's that whole attention span thing
 again), but you can buy the mag or get to spinonline at AOL.
    Well, I'm late for dinner.  Happy Passover.

 For the record: I don't think Ben's a geek (read the article, you'll
 understand).

 FULT!!!

 Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 00:17:00 -0500 (EST)
 From: Enrique G Ramirez <riquer@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
 Subject: My First BFF Sighting...

 Hello All:

 I had the good fortune to see Ben Folds Five at the South By Southwest
 Music Festival (SXSW) in Austin, Texas.  Definitely a double-plus-cool
 moment.  Imagine if you will an open air venue (actually, it was a beer
 garden) with a backdrop depicting a scene from the Tyrolean Alps (or were
 they the Carpathians?).

 I really cannot describe the levels of pure, unadulterated joy reached by
 the audience as BFF pulled off an extended version of "Uncle Walter."
 The night was warm, the music was excellent, the beer was cheap.

 And then a strange thought came across my mind.

 Guitars are superfluous.  They are overrated.  Excepting bass guitars,
 they should be discarded.  Perhaps BFF is the new standard-bearer for a
 new type of musical expression.  As Copernicus shattered the Ptolemaic yoke
 with a heliocentric model of the universe, so BFF broke away from the
 all-too generic guitar-based rock paradigm and created some of the best
 stuff I've heard in years.  Bravo!

 Oh jeez, now I am definitely rambling.

 Adieux, mes amis.

 Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 19:43:23 -0500
 From: Shan111111@aol.com
 Subject: in reference to my last message

 >People have told me that they've heard Joe Jackson in BF5, Queen, Bee Gee's,
 > Van Halen (??) in one of the chords, and a Kit Kat commercial (at the
 > begining of "Jackson Cannery".  1,2,3,4...)

 I'm sorry....I typed this too fast...I meant "Julianne"!!  duh.
 shan

 Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 00:48:28 -0400
 From: SaintBet@aol.com

 @#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#
 GREETINGS TO ALL BF5 FANS!!!  I just got my new issue of Spin magazine in the
 mail and was overcome with joy when I saw 3 odd looking men decked out as
 ASTRONAUTS!  Who are they you ask?  The one and only's Ben, Darren, and
 Robert!  The article talks mostly about Ben and his astounding ability to jam
 on the ivory, and overall a good synopsis of how the band formed and where
 they are going.  I definately suggest you guys check it out!

 Until next issue. . .signing of in Cleveland  (Go Tribe!!!),
 Bet

 @#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#

 Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 10:27:15 -0600 (CST)
 From: z_friedmana@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
 Subject: moxy fruvous and a little ben...

 hey...hello all...

 i went out and got moxy fruvous...i had to ...you made it sound so
 tempting:)))...well, i like it...it reminds me of they might be
 giants...hmmm....

 well..at the same time...i checked out those two soundtracks that contain
 one bff song...and ya know...i couldn't seem to bring myself to buying a
 whole cd for one song....don't get me wrong...i'm starving for some
 bff...but...i just couldn't do it...nothing else on those cd's looked
 good to me...so..anyone who has bought them: do you like the rest of
 those cd's? or do you just put it in to play that one track?

 so......when are they comming out with a new album????? i dunno how much
 longer i can wait...:)
 amanda

 Date: Mon, 08 Apr 96 14:38:36 -0400
 From: Robin Agranoff <Robin.Agranoff@turner.com>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five in Atlanta

 I'm not sure of the exact details, but Ben Folds Five is playing in
 Atlanta on Sunday, April 21st at the Roxy for a 99x Freeloaders show.
 Tickets are $5 or free if you have a 99x freeloader card.  I don't know
 what time the show is or about getting advance tickets.  99x's number is
 (404) 741-0997 and the Roxy is (404) 233-1062.

 Thanks for running this site.

 ..robin, a devoted fan and supporter

          We'll be decked in all black and slamming the pit fantastic