 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 01:04:33 -0400
 From: ZDarrah106@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #67

 Hey Ben, Darren, and Robert!  Want to barbecue before your show on Friday?  I
 promise it will better than Rocky's or the Grit.  If you refuse my offer, eat
 at Weaver D's or Wilson's Soul Food to give your elan vital the ultimate
 supercharge!!!  I'll see ya at the show.  Remember the warm water for the
 hands!!!  Z106

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:14:35 -0300 (ADT)
 From: Daniel MacEachern <dmaceach@is.dal.ca>
 Subject: for Mary the pianist

 hi Mary,

 speaking as a pianist who also plays the guitar, I thought I'd say that
 guitarists DO see the notes on the fretboard - at least I look at it that
 way.  I just had to teach myself a different way of looking at notes, and
 chords as well.  Speaking of chords, you pointed out that being able to play
 a chord on the guitar means you can use six notes, which seems wrong to a
 pianist, since we have five fingers.  You're right - if you only play
 with one hand.  Something tells me Mr. Folds uses more than that.  But I
 like your theories about how using piano as the lead instrument rather than
 in the rhythm section produces a very melody-oriented style of music.

 Daniel
 Halifax

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:18:17 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Lippy <mjt7742@is2.NYU.EDU>

 This letter is for Mary who was forty-seven inches in 1975.  The greatest
 thing about the piano is not the melody alone, but the ability to
 manipulate ten fingers at one time to form a kind of mini-orchestra.
 What you said about playing a chord with more than four notes is
 ridiculous.  Adding upper partials (9ths, 11ths, & 13ths) to the chords is
 what makes music played on the piano so intense.  Have you ever listened to
 Bill Evans?  BF also uses these upper structures, so don't underestimate
 the power of the other six digits.

 Love,
 Marc

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:36:32 -0500 (EST)
 From: AGNEND86@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU
 Subject: Have I got some info 4 u

       You cats are going about it all wrong.  Forking out $15 for major label
 soundtracks with only one BFF song on them.  Do what I do.  Wait til it ends
 up in the used bins, or get a shift at a collge radio station like I did!  It
 was a surprise to see the lackluster roster of both of those soundtracks. I
 can't help but wonder how BFF ended up on them.  Somoeone out there must have a
 clue. Maybe the two soundtrack songs will be b-sides to the "Uncle Walter" EP,
 if and when it ever comes out...
       Did any of you notice that in the credits to the CATS & DOGS sndtrk, that
 it read "BFF courtesy of Sony Records"?  Does that mean they signed?  I knew
 all along that their music company was Sony, but I didn't know that was their
 new label as well.  Hmmm...
       I recently picked up the D-TOX 7". The version of "Jackson" is different
 than the LP version.  It has an extended intro, but otherwise, pretty similar
 to the album version.  The flipside delivers another BFF gem, "Eddie Walker,
 This is Your Life."  The 7" is only $3 postpaid, so I'd order it from D-TOX
 before they sell out of it.  Actually, maybe they'll keep it in print for good.
 I wouldn't count on it though, because they have let some of their stuff go out
 of print in the past.
       When I describe BFF to people who haven't heard them, I describe them as
 Steely Dan for generation x.  Does that sound accurate to you?  I would
 describe them as Joe Jackson for gen x, but that would be too confusing, eh?
                                                                    -Neal A.

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
 From: The Computer GEEK! <jgore@nrv.net>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five IRC Chat

 Here's just an idea I had. Why don't we all get on IRC and talk about Ben
 and the boys and other things. Everytime I get on IRC, I get on
 #benfoldsfive, but not many ppl usually get on it. So if you have IRC, get
 on #benfoldsfive!!! :)
 It would rock if we could have a channel full of BF5 fans.
 BTW, my nick on IRC is freelove. But I'm thinking on changing it. blah blah.

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:02:09 EDT
 From: MR MARC FACTOR <RFAA93A@prodigy.com>

 hey john,

 your complaining is irrelavent so why dont you look at yourself

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:29:14 -0400
 From: ShulussJoe@aol.com

 Somebody last issue asked how old players in the band were.  I think Ben is
 29 but I'm not real sure about the rest of the band.

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:02:23 -0500
 From: geomac <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: bf5 sfd & tacad

 hey everybody, just thought i'd let you know that my offer still stands to
 email anybody wav files of "song for the dumped."  oh, and i now have "thae
 truth about cats and dogs," so if you want an email attachment of the bf5
 song on that, just let me know.

 geoff

 Geoffrey McNulty               |
 Asst. Promotions Director      |       "...there comes a time when
                                |    you want to roast marshmallows
 UW Madison Student Radio       |                over your own fire."
 gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu     |
                                |                       --Tori Amos
 (608) 264-2261                 |
 Madison Student Radio -- "It's coming...are you?"

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:36:50 -0400
 From: Hotdoglove@aol.com
 Subject: Re: re: Sexuality

 I was not trying to imply that there was anything wrong with being gay or
 that it would change my opinion of the band or any members of the band.  Is
 it any worse than asking if they were married?

 Sara

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:14:06 -0400
 From: Alessandra Elizabeth Geboff <aegeboff@eos.ncsu.edu>
 Subject: Re: sex, age, and movie parts

 did i miss something?  when did this stupid question get asked?
 >   I'm just writing this in response to the question about the guys
 >  sexuality..Should it really matter? Their sexual preference plays no role in
 >  the type of band that they are. I listen to the band because I enjoy their
 >  music, not because I think that they might be straight or gay or bisexual.
 >  Sexual preference is something private and unless they guys feel the need to
 >  make it known the world about it, why even worry about it? It has no bearing
 >  on their excellent music...
 >
 >  Sarah A.
 thank you, sarah.  it doesn't matter.
 i would think most of you would at least have known that darren was straight
 since he practically wrote "song for the dumped" otherwise known in this area
 as black t-shirt, but that's beside the point.   yes, they are all adorable as
 hell, and they're really great guys--and they're all straight--for those of you
 who put this high on your list of priorities of judging a band's talents.  So
 get off it, okay???  and yes, Ben did start off Retarded at they're last
 raleigh show by telling the audience how he and Robert had just finished having
 phone sex, had never seen each other before etc.... but for christ's sake it
 was all in fun (HA HA HA--get it???)--don't take much of what they do on stage
 seriously.  Ben even had to ask me what he did once right after he got
 offstage--they don't remember half the time!!!
 >       And by the by, does anyone know how old any of the band are?  (I'm just
 >  curious.)
 Ben's probably about 29 by now, Darren and Robert are younger, mid 20's--not
 sure exactly.  Two novembers ago i saw them in Winston-Salem and Ben started
 off underground by telling a story about not being able to go to his 10th HS
 reunion because of the show that night (...and now it's been ten years...) so
 that would make him close to thirty(oops i said the T word).

 just to start a new thread, if there were to be a movie, who would play each
 member?
 --alessa

    [29 must be about right. "I was never cool in school... and now it's
 been ten years" -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:12:09 -0400
 From: Ashndn007@aol.com

 Ben Folds Five in concert was the best thing I've ever seen!  Please give me
 the current tour dates if possible.  Thanks.

 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:49:35 -0700
 From: Reid Davis <reid2@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: "Alternativeness" (ugh.)

 Since it's been brought up, (don't blame me!) I briefly wanted to
 address the idea of "alternativeness" and how it relates to BFF...

 David Aron Reaboi <dreaboi@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
 > * in this world of "mainstream alternative," must we affix that
 terrible
 > word to a band as great as BF5? i love the SPIN article and quotes by
 > ben: "what we're doing is rebelious, because it takes guts to say,
 'well,
 > actually, i can play my instrument." after all, the only things that
 makes
 > them "alternative" are their record label and their lack of HUGE mass
 > following.
 As to what makes them "alternative" I must disagree.  Rachel Felder, in
 her (highly recommended) book "Manic Pop Thrill" comes up with a very
 useful definition of "alternative" that has nothing to do with sales or
 the size of a fan-base.  "Alternative" according to Felder, is 1) the
 irreverent twisting of pop conventions and 2) the mixing of high art
 and low art.  This resonated with me, because I can remember, as I was
 listening to my "weird" music (like The Smiths, XTC, The Housemartins,
 etc.) in the 80s while the likes of Whitney Houston and Roxette were
 ruling the airwaves that there was definitely something qualitatively
 DIFFERENT about what I was listening to.

 Nirvana were alternative by virtue of their mixing sharp pop songcraft
 with ragged guitars and raspy, poorly-enunciated vocals - the Cocteau
 Twins are alternative by virtue of their juxtaposition of
 near-classical beauty with a clanging drum machine.  In the same way,
 BFF earn the dreaded "A-word" ;-> by their use of the piano (classical
 instrument) in a loud rock band, their mastery of - and complete
 irreverence for - the pop song form, the defiant clinging to
 musicianship in an era that treats it as secondary, and by their
 twisting of listener expectations in general.  In fact, to me,
 irreverence is the one hallmark of the now popular "alternative" genre.
 When was the last time you saw a band doing "Big Rock Star" moves
 without an element of poking fun at them at the same time?  BFF
 epitomize this, especially in a live setting.

 I agree, though, the "a-word" has been overused - mostly because most
 have no idea what it means.  (Lets face it, "alternative" has come to
 mean "any loud rock band that isn't, like, Skynryd or something".)

 In case any of you were wondering, I AM a music writer.  Know anyone
 lookin' for freelancers?  ;->

 Love and hammer action,
 Reid

                 I didn't realize that you weren't having fun