 Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:41:03 -0400
 From: Andrea Merrifield <hapfield@commdesign.com>
 Subject: BF5 was in SPIN????

 which issue of SPIN was BF5 in?????........I MUST KNOW! ...... that is all
 , keep up the good work :)

 SPOT

    [The April issue, with Roseanne on the cover. Right near the front,
 around page 20. -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:42:52 -0400
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BF5: IRC & 6-NOTE CHORDS

 Daniel MacEachern <dmaceach@is.dal.ca> wrote:

 >> Speaking of chords, you pointed out that being able to play
  a chord on the guitar means you can use six notes, which seems wrong to a
 pianist, since we have five fingers.  You're right - if you only play with
 one hand.

 You know, right after the first time I saw Ben Folds play, I decided I had to
 make my songs more challenging, so I changed a couple of the chords in one of
 my songs to contain six notes, all played by the right hand:
    G - F - B - D - F - G,
 and then also the minor version (change the B to B-flat).
 Play the first two notes (G-F) by positioning your thumb over both keys at
 the same time!  :-)

 The post on IRC chats was topical, since I was just about to announce the
 move of the weekly chats from AOL to IRC.

 AOL's chat software is confusing and annoying.  I guess anyone  who wants to
 keep meeting on AOL can do so, but I think it will be easier for us to meet
 on the IRC.

 I suggest we meet at a standard time every week to maximize the number of
 people participating -- let's say 10:00pm Central Time on Tuesday nights?

 I also suggest the talkcity server, since it's not heavily used and you won't
 have to scroll through dozens of rooms, and the performance is better.  The
 address is chat.talkcity.com, port 6667.

 Mac folks can use GlobalChat or  IRCle.  (I wouldn't bother with Homer, since
 it's fairly confusing.)  I don't know what software PC folks  use.

 If you haven't done Internet chat before and need help, I'd ask whoever is
 providing your Internet access (e.g., your Internet service provider or the
 computing center at your college).  (Don't ask me -- I get enough requests
 for technical support as it is.  :-)

 My band is starting to play on Tuesday nights on occasion, so if you don't
 see the room already there, then just start it.

 -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

 Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:04:32 -0400
 From: Ed Crabtree <ecrab@ga.unc.edu>
 Subject: A Little Ben-sight

 BF5 doesn't play the Triangle area near enough, but we do get an occasional
 treat.  Last Saturday night, some friends and I ran into Ben at a Middle
 Eastern Deli in Raleigh right before he showed up for the Fleming & John
 show.  (BTW, Bobby Patterson of DAG was also at the F&J show.)

 Oh yeah, I don't remember anyone mentioning it, but in the Fleming & John
 video for "I'm Not Afraid," Ben does a cameo appearance as a toy drummer on
 a cake.  Be on the lookout for it.

 --Ed Rock

 Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 23:55:41 -0400
 From: KhobKhun@aol.com
 Subject: BF5 being alternative?

 REID DAVIS WRITES, "In the same way, BFF earn the dreaded "A-word" ;-> by
 their use of the piano (classical instrument) in a loud rock band..."

 Reid, are you trying to tell us that Billy Joel, Elton John, Jon Medeski, and
 the likes... all are alternative based on their use of the wonderful
 "classical" instrument known as the piano in a rockin' band?  Wake up!

 -khob

 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 00:58:19 -0400
 From: Paxotium@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #68

 What the hells this about them being gay??????????? jesus I thought you guys
 would have some common sense. I met them theyre great and awesome and cute
 and nice and funny and they dress rad. oh s***, maybe they are gay?? NA.

 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 00:58:17 -0400
 From: Paxotium@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #67

 OK. I asked some questions a couple digests ago or maybe last digest anyway
 they werent answered.? Maybe you dont like me, I can deal with that but I'd
 really like to know some stuff. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHEN THEY ARE TOURING
 AGAIN AND HOW OR IF I CAN REACH THEM, PERSON TO PERSON TYPE DEAL?????????
 Thanks, much obliged!
 Christina

 Mary..... where do you live in RI??? maybe I know you?

   [It's not that we don't like you, just that we don't know for sure yet
 where they will be appearing. Tour dates will be posted on the web page
 under Tour Dates. To reach the band you can write postally or send
 e-mail. Addresses are on the web page under More Information. -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:31:06 -0400
 From: SaintBet@aol.com
 Subject: Variety is the spice of Life!!!

 A couple of people have made comments concerning the lack of discussion about
 solely BF5 on this mailing list.  From my point of view, I enjoy the variety
 of bands we talk about and the different insight people can give on them is
 perfectly fine.  Afterall, they are usually brought up because they have
 something to do with Ben, Darren, and Robert.  As long as we don't start
 debating Euthanasia or Steve Forbes or something totally off key, I think the
 mailing list's format is fine the way it is right now.  Now enough about this
 subject. . .on with the music boys.

 Bethany

 "An arranged marriage is not so good. . ."

 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 11:27:21
 From: bminnick@locrscs.CMIC.STATE.PA.US
 Subject: BF5 on "Modern Rock Live Vol. One" CD

  FROM: Bill
  SUBJECT: BF5 on "Modern Rock Live Vol. One" CD
  <internet>:maynard@mail.oeonline.com

  In late April or early May, Global Satellite Network and Sony Electronics
  are jointly releasing a CD featuringlivetracks exclusivelyrecorded for
  Global's syndicated concert series, "Modern Rock Live."  The 2-CDset
  compiles 18 songs by 17 artists, including "Philosophy" by our beloved BF5.
  There is a hitch, unfortunately.  In order to get the thing, you must
  purchase either a boombox or a Discman.  Now there's a test of faithfor
  the completists among us!

    ['Spose you could buy the Discman, get the freebie, and return the
 Discman, or sell it. Or keep an eye out in the used CD shops in a few
 months. -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:41:16 -0500 (EST)
 From: AGNEND86@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU
 Subject: How to get your very own BFF 7"

 In repsonse to all the people, who inquired about the "Jackson Cannery" 7", I
 spoke about in the last posting, I've decided to post all the ordering info
 here, instead of answering everybody individually.  Here goes.

 The 7", which came out prior to the album has two songs, one of which is
 non-LP

 It came out on D-Tox Records, P.O. Box 5655, Greensboro, NC 27435.

 You can mailorder it, at this address, for $3 ppd., checks or money
 orders made payable to D-Tox.  I don't know how many more they have left,
 so it might be best to order soon.

 That's all you need to know!
                                                                      -Neal

    [But wait! See next item... -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 21:56:58 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "Adam H. Balevic" <adam@binary9.net>
 Subject: The D-Tox 7"

 >  BFF gem, "Eddie Walker, This is Your Life."  The 7" is only $3
 >  postpaid, so I'd order it from D-TOX before they sell out of it.
 >  Actually, maybe they'll keep it in print for good.
 >  I wouldn't count on it though, because they have let some of their
 >  stuff go out of print in the past.

 Yeah, that stuff goes out of print and we'll spend all of our money on
 new projects and never re-print the old stuff. Actually, only the first
 two Geezer Lake 7's and a Slowchange are out of print as well as......
 ...the Jackson Cannery 7".

 OK, there's a bit of cloudiness here as to whether any more exist or
 not (that we can sell). This record was not an "official" D-Tox
 release (that's why there is no D-Tox catalog number on it) and we
 don't have the original plates. The band just gave a small amount to
 sell and distribute but we never worked out any re-pressing or future
 distribution issues. It is possible that the band has some stashed
 away somewhere and that's what I'm looking into now. If not, then
 we'll talk to them about a re-press. I'll know more later this
 week. Until then, there are no more for us to sell.

 I'll send updates to here to Frank's list -- you guys will definately
 be the first to know!

 Adam Bomb

 --
  Adam Balevic  			           adam@binary9.net
      Is there be any doubt but that natural selection has weeded it out