 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 23:01:31
 From: echo@msn.globaldialog.com
 Subject: #benfoldsfive

      c'mon people, we need more activity on irc!  i waited around on
 #benfoldsfive for 3 hours last night, and only two people showed up!

      get out of your aol chatrooms and get on down to irc!

  --- S. A. Schneider / 05:03:08:15
      echo@msn.globaldialog.com

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 00:12:18 -0400
 From: Aryadne@aol.com
 Subject: BF5 on video

 Just a general inquiry:

      (Once again, apologies if this is old stuff, but I'm kinda new here):
      Did someone say they were on Conan O'Brian (or a similar show) once?
  And are there any videos yet?  And how could I get my hands on any of those,
 if they exist?
      Thanks!

 Mary

    [Yes, they were on Conan on Dec. 26th and I'm sure there are people
 who taped it. -fjm]

 Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 21:22:16 -0700
 From: Reid Davis <reid2@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #70

 > Please sign me up (fail@oberon.pps.pgh.pa.us).  I just bought the CD
 > yesterday.  I listened to it 8 times before i went to bed.  I skipped
 all of
 > my homeowkr.
 > This is GREAT MUSIC!!!

 Nice to see Mr. Folds and company having such a wonderful influence on
 the youth of America!  ;->

 P.S. I hope it wasn't spelling homework.

 RD

 Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 21:12:24 -0700
 From: Reid Davis <reid2@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: Alternativeness (maybe I will live to regret starting this)

 > Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 23:55:41 -0400
 > From: KhobKhun@aol.com
 > Subject: BF5 being alternative?
 >
 > REID DAVIS WRITES, "In the same way, BFF earn the dreaded "A-word"
 ;-> by
 > their use of the piano (classical instrument) in a loud rock band..."

 ..And "Khob" hastily retorts:
 > Reid, are you trying to tell us that Billy Joel, Elton John, Jon
 Medeski, and
 > the likes... all are alternative based on their use of the wonderful
 > "classical" instrument known as the piano in a rockin' band?  Wake
 up!

 No Khob, I am NOT trying to tell you that Billy Joel, Elton John, and
 Jon Medeski are "alternative" - I am trying to tell you that BEN FOLDS
 is alternative!  I mean, Little Richard could be alternative if this
 was all I cited, sheesh.  (And you will notice that I did give 3 or 4
 other reasons.)  The reason I included this is because of Mr. Folds'
 *philosophical approach* to the use of a typically "highbrow" or
 "classical" instrument in a "lowbrow" rock band.
 1) He uses no guitars whatsoever - relying purely on piano-pounding and
 fuzz-toned bass to achieve that "rocking sound".  You cannot argue that
 this cuts against the grain of pop convention, and therefore, is
 alternative.  (Joe Jackson was the precursor in this regard: many
 regard him as alternative, or at least pre-alternative.)
 2) He quotes Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" in the context of a loud
 rock song, (as well as other classics known by any who have taken piano
 lessons) to illustrate the irony inherent in the situation.
 3) He has blatant disregard for the reverence many piano players
 (including *pop* piano players, thank you very much) have for their
 instrument by stomping on the keys, jumping up on the case, banging it
 with his head, etc.

 In short, the difference between earlier pop piano players and those of
 the Ben Folds ilk is POSTMODERNISM.  My contention is that Pomo is the
 essence of what most folks call alternative.

 Of course, IMHO.  Or IM(not always so)HO, as the case may be.

 Love and pentatonic scales,
 Reid

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:39:23 -0400 (EDT)
 From: intcsb02@midget.towson.edu
 Subject: BFF: Moving?

 Someone in the last digest mentioned Archers moving to D.C.  It that true
 or was someone just saying that to try to be funny?  Why would they move
 from NC to DC?  That wouldn't make any sense DC's a s***hole, every time
 i go there i dread it.  No worry though i'm sure ben and the boy won't be
 moving there its just not there scene, i just hope they keep touring
 'round here we like just as much as you NCers do.
 							J.C.

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:49:26 +0100 (BST)
 From: felix <felix@theor.ch.cam.ac.uk>
 Subject: Minute correction

 it's Fri., May 10 in London (not Wed.).

 Felix

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 16:33:43 +0000
 From: Matthew Trigg <mat@gmtnet.co.uk>
 Subject: Hello and help

 Dear All

 Delighted to have found a BF5 list to mail to.  Looking forward to finding
 out about this mysterious trio!

 my introduction to the BF5.

 Last Christmas, my dear brother, an exiled resident of Boston MA, gave me a
 couple of CDs as a gift.  We are in the habit of exchanging music at these
 times since it avoids the embarrassment of gifts that are wholly
 inappropriate or of huge price differentials - you know how it is.

 Anyhow, this year it was Letters to Cleo (wholesale....) and BF5.  He was a
 little vague about how he had come across the latter, but suggested that it
 might be fun anyhow.  Sure enough, it proved to be a hit with me and
 unfortunately with many of my friends also - the upshot of which is that my
 copy is currently on loan for the fifth time this year.

 I have one of those "trainspotter" type urges to find out lots about the
 background of the bands I like (dull stuff like where they're from,
 thank-you's and things) and the sleeve of the CD was sadly lacking in this
 kind of detail.

 In fact, it was only by chance that someone on the SOY mailing list (for the
 band Live) responded to a short query I put out about the origins of the BF5
 and I discovered that they were from NC (as opposed to MA as I had assumed,
 given my brother's location).

 Lyrics, too, were missing, and it was only last night that I found Frank's
 website which listed the full monty.

 So, I now find myself respectfully at the mercy of you guys, keeping up the
 support from Nottingham in the middle of England. (I see that there is also
 a copy in Cambridge - hey, it's a movement!!)

 I now have a favour to ask - anyone got a source of guitar tabs for the
 album?  I notice that the OLGA service doesn't have any BF5 on it.  My good
 friend Mik and I are due to make our annual drunken appearance at the
 Diseworth summer Barbeque in September and it would be nice to bring this
 extraordinary sound to the lovely people of the village (check out
 http://www.gmtnet.co.uk/diseworth/).

 On the other hand, if you heard me singing when I'm pissed (or at any other
 time) you might be somewhat reluctant to give us the opportunity to maul
 these top tunes.

 Anyhow - any help would be welcome

 Catch you later

 Matthew
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To err is human, to moo, bovine.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:38:17 -0500
 From: Astro Moondoggie <brainstorm@basinlink.com>
 Subject: Re: ben folds PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!

 I've been listening to them almost since their album came out. A friend
 of my fiancee's put Underground on a tape, and I immediately went out
 searching for the CD. For about two months, that was the only CD I
 listened to, and I never got tired of it. Amazing. I would *love* to get
 on the mailing list!

 Astro Moondoggie

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:21:40 EDT
 From: MR ED C GOODMAN <HYVV71E@prodigy.com>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #67

 Gill, You givin' away all thye secrets, boy. How you gonna gets the
 women if you give away all the secrets? Ed Boy

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:20:39 -0500 (EST)
 From: jpinkos@lakers.lssu.edu
 Subject: Release Dates

 	Hey there!  I just got done listening to "Video Killed The Radio
 Star" and "Tom and Mary".  These are both just bootleg copies of course.
 I have searched high and low and I still can't find a name or release
 date on this Elektra(?) release of "one hit wonders" or "80's hits"
 w/BFF.  If anyone has any info, please share!  I'd also like to ask our
 Japanese friend or anyone who can get thier hands on a copy of the BFF CD
 w/Tom and Mary from Japan to contact me at jpinkos@lakers.lssu.edu.  One
 more thing, is this whole Uncle Walter CD thing just someone's idea of a
 cruel joke or what?     -JRP

 ps-Hey Frank, maybe if anyone can find release dates on upcoming BFF
 stuff, a release dates section of the homepage would be a good idea?

    [sure! if the label or anyone else sends me anything, I'll post it and
 put it on the web pages. -fjm]

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:18:20 -0500 (CDT)
 From: Erin Weed V <cuew2@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>

 	i have checked out the ben folds five homepage and noticed they
 are playing many shows.  the only problem is that none of them are in the
 chicagoland area.  does anyone know if there are any BFF concerts coming
 soon to this location???  thanks much....

 erin

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 18:42:12 -0400
 From: Tocadisco@aol.com
 Subject: New Album

 I heard that BFF, one of the best bands of the decade, was signed to a major
 label.  If this is true, what label did they sign to?  When is the new album
 going to be released?  Also,  since I just became a BFF fan within the last
 few weeks, I have never seen them perform.  If anybody knows when they are
 playing in NY again, please tell me.

  -Thanks

    [The Sony 550 label...no details on a new album... keep an eye out
 here for tour dates! -fjm]

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 23:51:37 +0100
 From: Jonathan Bacon <bacon@private.nethead.co.uk>
 Subject: BNF stuff

 I'm new to the Ben Folds Five mailing list, and at the risk of repeating
 someone's earlier post, the band sound like Joe Jackson a lot at times. A
 whole lot in fact.

 Jackson's Body and Soul is a great album, and I don't like the song Uncle
 Walter. That is my tuppence worth. The album's getting better and better.

 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:35:44 -0500
 From: geomac <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: Ben and Barry Black

 Hey y'all, I just picked up Eric Bachmann's solo release (under the name
 "Barry Black").  Thank you to whomever directed me towards it.  I would have
 never bought it had I not known that Ben Folds plays piano and drums on it.
 For those of you who don't know, Eric Bachmann/Barry Black is the front man
 for Archers Of Loaf, another Chapel Hill, NC band.  Ben plays Piano and/or
 drums on the majority of the album.  Anyway, when I opened the CD booklet, I
 was surprised to find that our old pal Darren Jessee plays drums on one
 track (a drum duet with Ben) as well.  Oh, and here's a kicker, the one and
 only Summer Burke (of "Summer B." fame) does the vocals for one of the
 tracks as well.  Let me be telling you, this is an album just chock-full of
 the goodness that only Chapel Hill can provide.  I recommend it to everyone.
 Oh, and one last thing.  If you haven't heard of them yet, I recommend
 another Chapel Hill band, the Squirrel Nut Zippers.  They're one of those
 retro 30's-40's swing bands, and the best that I've heard of their kind that
 I've heard by far.  Anyway back to Ben and the gang.  Ain't they grand?

 My apologies,

 Geoff

 Geoffrey McNulty              |
 Asst. Promotions Director     |    "...always has been

 UW Madison Student Radio      |        sports and wine for you..."
 gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu    |
                               |                    --Ben Folds
 (608) 264-2261                |
 Madison Student Radio -- "It's coming...are you?"

 Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 08:17:35 +0000
 From: Rob =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B3fish=B2 Carpenter <fishcarp@soltec.com>
 Subject: Issue #69 - Bethany

 Bethany made a point about the content of this mailing list, and I just
 wanna say-Right on. Not that it seems to be a real concern with most list
 members, and my primary reason of being on this list is to hear more
 about BF5, but I like to hear peoples thoughts about other bands - in fact,
 because of this list I was turned on to Fleming & John - cool band. If
 anyone has suggestions about other bands - not that I'm trying to muck up
 this list - let me know.

 About BF5, it never leaves my CD player. Can't wait to see 'em live. I was
 turned on to them about a week after they were in Chicago. Bummer!!

 Later
 FISH

 "...i do the best imitation of myself"

                        I click my heels and I'm there