      From Japan
      BFF on SXSW Sampler

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:12:17 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Jenn Halter <jlh4935@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: NMTH

 >  PS: Nikki rules!

 Ha!  i just realized that there is a Nikki on this list- hey, you rule
 too! But what i meant was Nikki Meets the Hibachi :)  whoever knows what
 i am talking about gets 10 points!

 jenn

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:58:17 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <MFP540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Re: ben folds

 Hi Frank,
       I'm back in the sunny climes of Birmingham now, so I would be
 grateful if you could add me to the list once more. Is there any word
 on the UK tour dates yet?
      BF5 have been receiving very favourable coverage over here in
 the past few days.  They were last week's Record Of The Week on the
 Radio 1 Chris Evans Breakfast Show, which is, I imagine, by far the
 most listened to show in the UK. They have also been featured on the
 Mark Radcliffe show on Radio 1, and, if it hasn't already been
 mentioned on the mailing list, they are set to play a session for
 Mark Radcliffe on Monday April 29th. For anyone interested who doesn't know,
 Mark Radcliffe is on Radio 1, 10pm-midnight, Monday-Thursday.  I
 wouldn't be surprised if they popped up on John Peel's show too.
 Anyhow, they have also received the accolade of Single Of The Week
 ('Underground') in the NME. Can't get much better than that.

       Thanks again

                       Mark, The Reverend Bingo

 mfp540@bham.ac.uk

 'I remember when misery thrilled me much more.....'

 "I have been given the freedom, to do as I see fit" - R.E.M. "World Leader
 Pretend"

    [Mark: May 1st and 10th, I think, plus a couple dates in between over
 on the Continent. Check the web pages. -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 13:42:35 -0400
 From: Opus <opusmo@tiac.net>
 Subject: BF5 Modern Rock Sony Giveaway Thingy

 heya,

         I saw somebody respond to a post in Issue #69 about free discs
 given away with Sony discmen, which included Ben Folds Five live. Can
 somebody give me more information about this? I tried to find that old
 issue to see what the original post was, but I must have thrown in out in a
 hard-drive cleaning frenzy, and I can't seem to locate any info on Sony's
 web site. Thanks

                         opus (opusmo@tiac.net)

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:05:44 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Peter Seth Sommers <psommer@emory.edu>
 Subject: Philosophy

 I don't know much about mythology, but I do know that at the concert last
 night (YES I SAW BEN FOLD LAST NIGHT!!!) he said it was about "dancin'
 and sex" so for those of you who are discruntled by the "little ben" theory
 how do you feel about lambada?

 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 "Guess she don't like the cornbread either."

 psommer@emory.edu

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "JOHN Z. MULL" <jzmull@hamlet.uncg.edu>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #71

 Archers are moving to Washington State, not DC.  And it's just Eric
 Bachmann not the rest of the boys.  Sorry, my goof.

 						zach.

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 13:18:38 +0000
 From: Rob Carpenter <fishcarp@soltec.com>
 Subject: Re: Uncle Walter, Issue #72

 From godboy:

 "p.s. why does everyone hate uncle walter??"

 I noticed a lot of "Walt" bashing as well. I totally dig that tune.
 Great lyrics, it rocks, and the bass line rules, especially the lead
 at the end. Don't know if I could pick a "worst song on the album",
 but uncle walt sure ain't it! Later---FISH

 p.s. - This is pretty obvious, but for those of you who might not have
 noticed, there's a cleverly placed gurgling bong sound, followed by a
 little lung hacking after "and all the kids are smoking pot"

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:27:53 -0400 (EDT)
 From: eric t beteille <beteille@mary.iia.org>
 Subject: Names for BFF mailling list

 - Ben Mails Five		- Jackson Mailery
 - Hardback Cafe			- Bus Stop
 - 88 Keys			- Uncle Ben's Mailbox
 - Magical Armchair		- Flying Spit
 - List for the Dumped		- The Future
 - The Customers (haha!)		- Mortor, Block and Glass
 - This Is Your Life		- The Underground
 - The Mosh Pit			- Looks, Brains and Everything
 - Ben Good To You		- Millionaires and Mill Rats
 - Bag of Trash			- The Pit Fantastic
 - Mail Order Scheme		- Sore Tooth
 - Pivot and Slip

 well, it's a start!

 --
 Eric

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 13:58:44 -0500 (CDT)
 From: Richard John Fuss <rfuss@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>
 Subject: [BFF] Re: european tour

  Ed Zeitz <ez@en.com> wrote:
 >  Just read in "Dancing About Architecture" at the Austin Chronicle Website
 >  that the BFF European tour is a Caroline Records "showcase" and they will
 >  be playing with, gulp, Sincola, that faux-angst, boring Austin band that
 >  played before them at SXSW.  What a horrible pairing.  The third band on
 >  the bill is Engine 88, of whom I have no knowledge.

 Engine 88 hails from Berkeley and the bay area.  I would classify
 their sound as power-pop or pop-punk.  They have an album out, called
 "Clean Your Room", as well as three 7 inches.  They are currently in
 Boston recording their next album which is due out this summer.
 Engine 88 used to be known as Engine, but they changed their name
 when an Atlanta band claimed that they had the name first.
 "Clean Your Room" was my favorite album of '95.  If anyone wants
 to know more info about the band let me know.

 later...
 --Rick

 | Richard J Fuss            |  "Somebody please tell this machine,         |
 | Mechanical Engineering    |   I'm not a machine" --The Flaming Lips      |
 | University of Illinois    |   	Rick's Low-Fi Hompage:		   |
 | rfuss@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu  |      http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~rfuss/	   |

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:13:28 -0400
 From: "John W. Fail" <fail@llama.com>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #72

 Someone said ...

 $ p.s. why does everyone hate uncle walter??  granted its not the best song
 $ on the album and it may even be the worst but i just really dont mind it
 $ and i would listen to it at any opportunity
 $ oh well...

 I like 'Uncle Walter' a lot.  I think the worst is either 'Alice
 Childress' (I know I'll get flamed for that) or 'Video'.

 Anyone ever heard a band called Zumpano?  They have a CD out on Sub Pop
 that's QUITE inspiring.  I think they have a very similar sound to BF5,
 I highly recommend checking them out.

 -john

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:14:48 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Jason Martin <un036034@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU>
 Subject: BF5- Exposed?!?!

 I just finished reading the SPIN article of BF5 (one dinky little page)
 when I can't help but think how many more people DON'T know about BF5 or
 have any idea of the quality of music they play.  I know the only way I
 found out was watching them on Conan O'Brien.  It would be great if BF5
 could get on one of those ensemble summer tours--- e.g. Lollapalooza or
 HORDE--- things that spawned Dave Matthews Band, Blues Traveler, etc. to
 commericial success, notoriety, and critical acclaim.  What does everyone
 else think?

 Jason Martin
 un036034@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu

 (Yes, we've even heard of the great Ben Folds Five in West Virginia.)

 "I think of my friends, but they wouldn't dig this town."

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Marc Nathan <mdnathan@netcom.com>
 Subject: Uncle Walter single clarification

 This is absolutely official...I promise :)

 There is no on sale single of Uncle Walter.

 The single is actually just the latest "emphasis track" to be released to
 rario off the album. A remastered version is pressed on a promo CD that
 is serviced to radio. That's it. Swear!

 Marc

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:08:59 -1000
 From: boxes aplenty <galileo@mindspring.com>

    Saw the Atlanta show last night and was able to meet the band.  They are
 really just three guys like any other guys you might meet, except for the
 fact that they have the best album in recent memory.  Nothing pretentious,
 no stage facade, they were onstage who you met at the backstage door.  And
 the show was too much fun.
    Ben apparently cracked a rib during the filming of the Uncle Walter video
 (and what's so bad about this song?)... apparently he fell off a bike and
 into Robert's knee.  However, he was a robust blast during the show, and
 nobody in the audience had a bad time.  Robert also said they would
 probably not start recording the new album for Sony until the fall,
 otherwise it would be "an album full of riding-in-a-truck songs."  And he
 was unaware of the D-Tox single running out.
    As or the title of the group, "Sports and Whine" might be more suitable
 at times...

 Pat and Caroline Mrizek (né pucktyr@aol.com and the quiet one)
 Quotable Quote:  "The world is not made for lefties or Mac Users."
 Unquotable Quote:  "The people who are most right are usually left out."

 Date: Tue, 20 Nov 1956 19:31:12 +0000
 From: pinworm@email.unc.edu
 Subject: Triangle music

 Thanks to Jen Halter for supporting for the hundreds of bands in the
 triangle who aren't Ben Folds or Archers of Loaf.  I know it's sad when
 the Archers leave and Ben gets the chance to make some money, but the
 scene probably won't die.

 Check out Zen Frisbee, Squirell Nut Zippers or somebody you've never heard
 of next time you get the chance.

 -Mitch Bennett
 http://www.unc.edu/~pinworm

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:20:19 EDT
 From: MR MARC FACTOR <RFAA93A@prodigy.com>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five alternative?

 alternative= no such thing... once upon a time there was such a thing
 called alternative music but just in case you havent heard,
 everything sounds the same in 1996.  if there is alternative music
 bff is right there, they are different.
 alternative=different,

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:40:27 -0700
 From: Reid Davis <reid2@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: "Alternativeness"(the last post i promise), oddzanens

 Andrea wrote:
 > P.S. who the hell cares weather [sic] Bf5 iz alternative or not?! , i
 think >it has just as much bearing (on their music) as their sexuality
 does!

 Um, in case it wasn't obvious, I DO agree - but I still think it's a
 fun subject to discuss - especially since in the world of REAL art
 (y'know, the stuff in galleries), postmodernism is the big deal.  I
 just enjoy seeing the artistic parallel in the pop music world.

 and "godboy" (who needs to take a few sedatives) chipped in...
 > hey this is in response to the gentlemen who were arguing about
 whether
 > or not ben folds is indeed alternative and i would just like to say
 > each of you:  do you like ben folds five?
 Um...yeah...(is this a trick question?)  If you were in front of me at
 the show last night you would've gone deaf from me singing all the
 words in your ear at top volume.

   cause if you do then who gives
 > a rats ass what kind of music they are?
 oooh, the animosity!  What side of the bed did you wake up on?

 >are we really that bored or do we
 > actually just like to get into dumb arguments?

 I enjoy the intellectual nature of a good discussion of ideas...any
 discussion of "alternativeness" or postmodernism falls into that
 category.  Geez, if I can't discuss whether BFF are "alternative" on
 the BFF mailing list, where can I discuss it?  If you don't want to
 read it, skip it, ok?  Some people (GASP!) may like different things
 than you do.

 and someone (I'm sorry - I erased your name!) asked...
 >* in reading this wonderful journal that i get every day, i often
 >think of who exactly ben folds five fans are. the varying views on a
 >number of issues of debate lead me to believe that bf5 fans are
 >somewhere between lite fm radio and the alternative scene. (no
 >metal-heads, i'm pretty sure.)

 hoo - I don't know if I'm typical, but I'm a fan of 4AD (Cocteaus, Dead
 Can Dance, HNIA, This Mortal Coil), loud indie rock (Girls Against
 Boys, Shudder To Think, Fugazi), folky stuff (Vigilantes Of Love,
 Pierce Pettis, David Wilcox), shoegazer (Ride, My Bloody Valentine),
 radio-ish stuff (Radiohead, Oasis, Cracker), and big pop (Eric
 Matthews, Big Star, Jellyfish, Matthew Sweet, AND Ben Folds Five).
 Anyone else share this eclectic mix?

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:53:26 -0700
 From: Reid Davis <reid2@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Article, 4/19

 for the list...here's a transcription of the article the Atlanta
 Journal-Constitution ran to "preview" the BFF show this weekend...

 PIANO-TOTING TARHEEL NEEDS ROOM TO BOOGIE

 by Richard L. Eldredge
 for the Journal-Constitution

 Ben Folds, the 29-year old leader of the Chapel Hill, NC, rock trio Ben
 Folds Five, looks like the boy next door.

 Fortunately, Folds *acts* more like the boy next door in "Toy Story."

 On the band's debut release on Passenger/Caroline Records, the
 singer-songwriter tosses in riffs from George Gershwin's "An American
 In Paris" one second, then utilizes a trash bag full of bottles and
 cans as a percussion instrument the next. On stage, Folds is prone to
 leaping over his bench and smashing his forearm into the keys of his
 Baldwin acoustic piano and, later, doing a soft-shoe on top of it while
 singing a cappella.

 Why a piano?

 "The wooden, organic feel of the instrument is really what makes the
 band rock," Folds explains.  "Why does the world need another lame
 guitar band?"

 Lugging a piano cross-country with bassist Robert Sledge and drummer
 Darren Jessee is beginning to pay off.

 The band's current single, "Underground" (which mocks most pit dwelling
 Gen Xers), is starting to get commercial airplay.  And in February,
 Sony Music signed the act to its 550 label.

 "We're in this for the long haul," Folds says. "We just bought a
 15-foot Ryder truck.  And we don't plan on using it for the purposes of
 evil."

 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:32:48 -0700
 From: "John A." <jha@famedent.com>

 I think we should name the list

 The Magical Armchair.

 Now let's get some more suggestions, and get this thing named.

 John Anderson

 "I'm Crazy, but I get the job done" BF5

 Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:25:27 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "Donna L. Hokanson" <hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu>

 >  			-godboy
 >
 >  p.s. why does everyone hate uncle walter??  granted its not the best song
 >  on the album and it may even be the worst but i just really dont mind it
 >  and i would listen to it at any opportunity
 >  oh well...

 Well I don't hate Uncle Walter -- in fact I love it, I think it is a
 riot.  I love everything on the album.  It is different from the other
 stuff out there and I can listen over and over again and not get bored.
 I want to see videos on MTV.  Is the only time to catch them on 120
 minutes?  Can't wait to they come back to Philly area again.

 Donna

 Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 18:52:17 -0500
 From: "J.J. Engel" <JJEngel@mail.utexas.edu>
 Subject: Re: uncle walter

 > p.s. why does everyone hate uncle walter??  granted its not the best song
 > on the album and it may even be the worst but i just really dont mind it
 > and i would listen to it at any opportunity
 > oh well...

 I don't hate Uncle Walter.  I think it's a great song.  Candy coated sarcasm.

 -nikki

 Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 18:59:10 -0500
 From: "J.J. Engel" <JJEngel@mail.utexas.edu>
 Subject: Re: a token of kindness

 > PS: Nikki rules!

 Wow!!  Thanks Jenn!!  :)

 -Nikki

 Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:41:54 -0400
 From: Alessandra Elizabeth Geboff <aegeboff@eos.ncsu.edu>
 Subject: Re: uncle walter, metalheads, and movie parts

 >  p.s. why does everyone hate uncle walter??  granted its not the best song
 >  on the album and it may even be the worst but i just really dont mind it
 >  and i would listen to it at any opportunity
 >  oh well...
 just my two cents:  i love uncle walter.  in no other song do you get to
 hear such incredible solos by BOTH folds AND sledge!!!  c'mon, how many of
 you have EVER heard a bass played the way robert does in that song???
 whenever i get a bass player to listen to the cd, i make sure they listen
 to uncle walter first, and i just watch their eyes grow twice as big as
 robert is doing his thing there in the end...it ROCKS!!  in fact, it took
 me a while to figure out why they chose underground as their first
 single--i never played it because the beginning takes too long. when i
 listen to it i can't imagine it on the radio because it takes so long to
 pick up.  i reviewed the cd for our station and uncle walter was really
 high on my "best" list whereas underground was really low, simply because
 of how well the songs would flow in a given shift. uncle walter is full on
 rock from beginning to end---IMHO i can't wait to hear the "buzz" after
 this song gets some airplay just based on how nuts people went on
 underground.

 > (no metal-heads, i'm pretty sure.)
 >
 >  I love Marilyn Manson, Kyuss, Deftones, etc.
 okay, here we go... kyuss, yuck!! (sorry)

 i work at basically the only "heavy metal" station in the triangle
 area--hell, in the state!!!  nobody does metal like wknc does metal :)
 i've been a "pure rock" dj for over 2 years and i love marilyn manson,
 stuck mojo, fear factory, therapy?, sepultura, monster magnet, but i also
 love bad religion, tori amos, archers of loaf, small, okay--bush (yes, i
 said it).  i am also the one who brought bff to fame on my pure rock
 shift---i'd play them between prong and iron maiden---who gives a f?$#.
 it's all good music.  i've dragged dozens of my metalhead friends to bff
 shows, and every single one of them has said---they rock, they're awesome,
 and have bought t-shirts and worn them proudly to some of our local metal
 bands' shows.  it's happy music, and you can jump around and be silly to
 it and people love that.  it doesn't matter what other kinds of music
 people like as long as they like ben folds five---then they're cool :)
 --alessa
 once again i ask the question, if there were to be a movie, who would play
 ben, robert and darren ?????---ooh, and summer, too.

 Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:15:13 -0400
 From: Dolemite80@aol.com

 when are the boys coming to the ny/nj area?

 Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:09:09 PST
 From: Chris A Ruffner <cadcr@juno.com>
 Subject: A New place to hang out

 While surfing around the Sony Web site recently, I ended up on the
 Epic/550 Music site.  On a whim I decided to see is there was Ben Folds
 Five page yet.  And lo and behold there was a very under construction
 site.  So under development it isn't even listed in the index yet.  What
 is there is a BBS and a place to sign up for a Fan Club mailing list.
 (don't know what that will produce)

 So point your browsers to http://www.sony.dreammedia.com.  Select Artist
 Info and then do a search on Ben Folds Five and there you are.  See Ya on
 the board.

 Chris Ruffner

 Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:16:32 +0900
 From: Motohasi Adusa <st31285@srv.cc.hit-u.ac.jp>
 Subject: From Japan

  Your Ben Folds Five mailing list gave me a lot of friends.
  Not only many American but also German(who lives in England),
  Japanese contacted with me.My Ben Folds Five world has been getting
  bigger and bigger.One of American friends sent me a vedeo tape
  Ben , Darren and Robert are moving!!! I always watch them in pictures,
  excepting during their arrival at Japan.
  In the video, Ben put together Ben's piano.I was surprised the scene.
  Because they were VIP everwhere in Japan,so I couldn't imagine
  that they prepared the setting themselves.
  And other program is Ben's interview (he wanders around pianos).
  Ben are very cute (Is it true that he is 29 yeras old?) and comical.
  I want to meet them again.I read their interviews that said after
  America tour they will begin to record for  NEW album .
  And  they don't intend  to record "Video kills the radio star",
  " Cross town traffic" and  so on.These songs are played only
  at the shows.       Going there to go their shows in this summer
  is under contemplation. But I don't know whether they will play
  shows or not. Please tell me how to get the tickets .

  In fact, I can't understand all topics evertime. Some of them
  is difficult for me.But I enjoy reading Digests and touching
  with Ben Folds Five fan's voices. I think your work is very hard.
  But we are taking pleasure in your site and mailing list.
  Thank you!!!

  Your Japanese friend,
  Azusa Motohashi
  st31285@srv.cc.hit-u.ac.jp

 Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:48:50 -0500
 From: carlson@math.umn.edu
 Subject: BFF on SXSW Sampler

 	I picked up a disc last week.  It is the Sony Music Publishing/ATV
 SXSW 96 sampler.  It has tracks from band published by SMP, which were
 (presumably) at SXSW (was Oasis really there?).  The copy I found was in a
 black and orange cardboard sleeve, and was a promo.  Anyway, it has a live
 version of "Tom & Mary" that 'must' have been recorded at SXSW.  Did BFF
 actually perform this song there?

 Scott Carlson
 carlson@math.umn.edu

              Some men never found out what it takes to be a dude