      List name and other bands...

 Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:22:32 -0600
 From: jharris@minn.net
 Subject: Re: Midwestern BF5 fans

 Hi all,

 I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few of us on the mailing list from
 the upper midwest lately (i.e. WI, MN, IL, MI...) and I'd like to invite all of
 you to think about an idea that just sprouted in the fertile depths of my grey
 cells.

 How about we set up a sort of network between us that could perhaps make it
 possible for us to travel to all of the shows up here when BF5 is in the general
 area?  I was thinking about heading over to Madison for their last show there,
 and from Madison, Chicago is an easy drive, and for that matter, Ann Arbor is
 pretty accesible from Chicago.

 Just a thought, let me know what you think.

 Jen

 Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:08:34 -0500 (EST)
 From: ian s fay <ifay@lynx.dac.neu.edu>
 Subject: The BFF Boston Show

 Just a few comments about the BFF Boston show.

 First, I'd like to say YES!

 Sorry. I ended up meeting the band and even talking with Ben for a few
 minutes as the left to go get something to eat before the show. He asked
 for a directions to a good restaurant, and even put us on the guest
 list.

 He expressed a disappointment in the Underground video, and said
 something to the effect of that'll be their last. Bummer.

 The show itself: Other than an extremely mediocre performance by The
 Customers, pretty f*cking cool.

 They played all the songs on the album, as well as Song For The Dumped,
 Video Killed The Radio Star (during the encore), One Angry Dwarf and 200
 Solemn Faces (one of the best sone titles I've heard in awhile, right up
 the with Pink Floyd as an all time fave), and one song I hadn't heard
 before.

 There were even a few jams interspersed between the songs, usually
 starting with Ben plucking out something, then having it become a full
 blown jam shortly after. Everyone got their time in the sun alone, with
 a good long bass and drum solo as well.

 Ben did his usual stand on the piano bit, but the ceiling at Mama Kin's
 is rather low, so e was right up there in the rafters after doing so and
 ended up swinging Tarzan style along the beams across the stage.

 Very nice overall.
 --
  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 %            Ian Fay                  % "That which does not kill us makes  %

 Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 19:11:16 -0400
 From: Wri10@aol.com
 Subject: Friday night rambles...

 It's early yet, I thought I'd do this before I got too deep into some "real
 work" (g).

 Just a few notes (hope I don't go on long enough to earn an Uncle Walter).
  This is a great idea, I love the fact the Internet has made it possible for
 people who are this devoted to something they must have believed for a long
 time was very small to converge without having to get up and go out in the
 car somewhere!

 Got the disc for my birthday last October, we'd been getting airplay on the
 "acoustic music" station WNKU, an NPR affiliate, from about July on and I'd
 been turning the radio up to earsplitting volume from the first time I heard
 "Philosophy"... so a good friend bought me the disc, finally (like I didn't
 give enough hints, you know?).

 I've been out of the MTV loop for two and a half years (grinding personal
 problems, lack of $, etc) so I don't see the vids.  Saw Ben Folds Five live
 in Cinci back in January, though, and I was blown away.  Not so much by
 artistry or performance, I knew that was there from listening to the disc.
  Visually, the show was a riot -- and Ben couldn't dance on the piano at the
 venue in Cincinnati (low ceiling), so there you go.  It was still a great
 show.  The only thing that holds a candle to it in Cincinnati these days is
 psychodots (a bunch of fortysomething teenagers who've been writing songs in
 the same vein as Ben Folds Five since about 1979) and Ass Ponys, a local band
 of Generation Xers, give or take a year or two, who had an almost hit with
 "Hey Grandma" back last fall.

 I wanted to add a note about what other Ben Folds Five fans listen to, I
 thought that was an interesting topic.  Any other Todd Rundgren fans out
 there?  Cheap Trick?  Yeah, this is the same kind of stuff, actually -- the
 lyrical clarity is astounding.  I write as a hobby, I love a good set of
 lyrics.  Always liked Guess Who -- a piano player with a good voice, same
 deal, a little before my time but hey...  But I also like Soul Coughing, Kate
 Bush, k.d. lang, Joan Osborne, Jeff Buckley...  I've been "into" everything
 from "alternative" (back when it was called New Wave, and Sting was
 rightfully on the roster) to Badfinger (look them up in your Rolling Stone
 Almanac or something), though nobody much under 30 knows anything they ever
 did except "No Matter What".

 And in almost twenty years of having actively listened to rock and roll, I've
 seen very little more innovative or brave than Ben Folds Five.  A few things,
 I'll admit.  Todd Rundgren dropping acid and recording an album (A Wizard, A
 True Star) in 1974... or doing the same thing roughly clean and sober (No
 World Order) in 1994... anything The Replacements did between 1977 and a few
 years back when they split... yeah.  Rock and roll has its rubies, if not
 many diamonds.

 There's still life in rock and roll, there's still a vein of ore to be mined,
 but it takes some subtlety and intelligence, not to mention effort, in the
 90's.  I'm surprised at the attention Ben Folds Five are getting, not so much
 because they're not good enough -- but because, let's face it, they're TOO
 good.  They're not mediocre by any stretch of the imagination.  The songs
 take a minimum of brain function to comprehend, and a little discretion to
 listen to.  That should have disqualified them instantly.

 But anyone who thinks everybody who listens to this band is a GenX Tori Amos
 fan is limiting his/her estimation of the band's appeal.  I love the best,
 and they rate right up there.

 My "old man" is a metalhead, he listens to Stabbing Westward and he was
 "chair dancing" on the edge of the bar at Top Cat's in Cincinnati through the
 show right along with me.  And they had a lame opening act, too -- what was
 it, 3 Ton Pull or something like that.  The Customers were the front line
 openers, and man, I have to tell you -- that brought back Paul Westerberg
 memories.  The lead singer was highly flattered when I compared them, he's
 from Minneapolis too.  Did anyone else get into them?  Gratuitous noise is
 wonderful.

 I was just the other day handed a copy of Rolling Stone with an article
 called "Radio Killed The Video Star" that goes into the trend of radio
 stations <once again, thank the Prime Mover> determining what's popular and
 actually scooping MTV more than half the time on good sh**.  The radio
 stations did it here at home, believe it or not.  Cincinnati radio has been a
 "vast wasteland" for at least ten years, conquered and habitated by "classic
 rock" (read Led Zeppelin and Bad Company, yuk!) and somebody's idea of "Top
 40" -- in other words Phil Collins.  Thank god for NPR and "Alternative"
 radio stations.  I hear Ben Folds Five almost as often on the radio as on my
 own stereo now!  Even in backwater, mudhole Cincinnati, Ben's earning
 royalties.  If you live in Cincinnati, give the radio a chance again, just
 for a week.  Just to hear "Philosophy" on the radio once.  It's an experience
 you won't forget.

 Too long.  I'm off.  I have to make a face `til it sticks, you know?

 [Thanks for taking the time to look at this drek.  I know I'm windy, but I
 write as a hobby, so everything tends to end up this way.]

 Melinda

 Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 12:18:22 -0400
 From: Ashndn007@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #73

 Anyone know where I can get some posters of Ben Folds Five?  I've got one
 where the three of them are standing with a red background behind them.  Help
 me out if you know anything!

 Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 15:14:19 -0500
 From: Who? <Adam.S.Bloom@williams.edu>
 Subject: BF5: Bag of Trash?

 Just a simple question...

 What's the significance of the "bag of trash" in Julianne?  I pretty
 much understand the rest of the song, but I have absolutely no idea
 why Ben decided to throw that lyric in.  Maybe some of you know some
 sort of story behind the song, or maybe he just really liked the
 sound of it.  (I personally think it's a pretty neat image,
 regardless.  And it makes for cool percussion.)

 Also, as a side note, does anyone out there know the lyrics to Bad
 Idea?  I noticed they weren't on the home page.  Oh bother.

 TTFN,
 Adam

 "In every person - even stupid ones- there lies
      an art expert."

 "I love animals and hate to kill them, but if a
      pigeon landed on the Mona Lisa - well, goodbye
      pigeon."

                             -Steve Martin

 Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:43:35 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <MFP540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: BF5 In The UK

 Just a quick note to inform all those in the UK that I'm not sure BF5
 are playing the Mark Radcliffe Show on 29th April. When Radcliffe
 mentioned the list of sessions for the coming week, he said the The
 Divine Comedy were playing on Monday, and no mention was made of BF5
 for any other days. I'm sure they will play sometime though, so the
 best bet is to listen to Mark Radcliffe over the next week. I'll
 inform you of any dates.
     While I'm here, I think The Magical Armchair would be a good name
 for the list. I thought The Thrill Of Misery was neat. Or Try Not To
 Think About Them. Or how about "Why are you only playing London,
 you Bastards!". I guess I'm just bitter........
    And while I'm still here, are there any good live tapes out there?
 I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some. If anybody wants to trade,
 I have a large collection of R.E.M. bootlegs, or else if someone
 wants to be kind.....

 Cheers

 Mark

 "My, oh my, we're all impressed how sensitive you are"

 Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 00:13:08 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Sellout Punk Rocker <erica67@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
 Subject: BFF, info about Tori Amos, help me

 Sorry that this isn't about BFF again, but i figure you are all musically
 inclined people who would appreciate this and be willing to help me with
 another task... read on faithful BFF'ers.
 <frank, PLEASE include this in the list. It will help me GREATLY!!>thanks!
 Well, I had my interview with Tori. She sat like 1 foot away from me, and
 actually got a little pissed when I asked her a question about Trent
 Reznor. I ACTUALLY asked her if they collaborated, but I worded myself
 really wrong, so she thought that I had asked her if she had an illicit
 love affair with him. EEP. But tonight at the concert, she played all
 three songs that involved a nine inch nails or trent reference. ie:
 Past the Mission, Caught a Lite Sneeze, and Prescious Things. (BTW she
 carefully left the NIN line out of Caught a lite sneeze, and did up the
 NIN reference in Precsious Things). Coinkidink? I think not! She played
 EVERY song that we mentioned at the interview, so I figure that this one
 was for me. I also got an A+ quality bootleg of the concert, so if you
 don't believe me, you can hear it for yourself. Damn. I am so
 excited! Also, I am interviewing the lead singer for Modern English this
 tuesday, (I'll melt with you) So if you can think of some questions for
 that, I'd really appreciate it. Also, I am putting the interview up  on
 the internet, so check my page (http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~erica67) for
 updates and the complete libretto to the interview.
 Erica the coolest bitch in town for tonight

 University Reporter			    "I love you,
 Music Editor			    	     But I'm afraid to love you.
 815 15th Street NW Suite 608		     I love you,
 Washington DC, 20005			     But I'm afraid... afraid..."
 ******************I do the best imitation of myself.....*******************
 "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees."     -Dolores Ibarruri
 contact                                  http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~erica67

     [Again, please contact Erica directly on this. Thanks. -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 03:11:07 +0200 (MET DST)
 From: Lousy <magnus@lousy.pp.se>
 Subject: airplay in sweden

 Hi,

 just thought I should let you know that they played
 "Julianne" on Swedish national radio (P3) last friday.

 Oh, and about the listnamethingy: howsabout THE BEN
 FOLDS FILE? :)

 Take care,

 Magnus

 -------------------------------- L O U S Y --------------------------------
 -                            magnus@lousy.pp.se                           -
 --              http://www.lysator.liu.se/~chief/lousy.html              --
 --      http://www.mc.hik.se/benno/Home/Bands/Bands/Lousy/lousy.html     --
 -    http://www.mc.hik.se/benno/Home/Stokage/5_Stokage/Lousy/lousy.html   -

 Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 23:10:02 -0700
 From: "John A." <jha@famedent.com>
 Subject: another list name suggestion

 that I thought of today is--

 "Best Imitation of a MailingList"

 JOHN

 PS--BTW, I love "Video", and also, Colin, I Love "Boxing" too. You are
 right, it is a masterpiece, but hell, so is the whole record!!!

 John Anderson D.D.S.
 e-mail: jha@famedent.com
 In Gord We Trust

 Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 01:36:56 CDT
 From: binky@clubhouse.email.net
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #74

 First of all, "Pouting in Stereo" is the PERFECT name fer this here confab.
 Anyways, does anyone know of any other recordings that feature songs by Anna
 Goodman, if any? "Alice Childress" and "Last Polka" are perfect pop songs,
 and I'd like to hear more from her pen, if she's recorded or written for
 anyone else...
         Thanks...

 Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 08:57:22 EDT
 From: REUBEN FRANK <RoobWorld@prodigy.com>

      How 'bout Ben Folds Five Digest? roob

 Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:14:35 -0500
 From: JLUE@HANYS.ORG
 Subject: HARDBACK CAFE would be the most appropriate list name (unfortunately

   HARDBACK CAFE would be the most appropriate list name (unfortunately
 it BURNED DOWN, now we have OFFICE TOWN).
   Just a few brief points of interest...

 1.  The Barry Black CD exhibits some of the most innovative song writing in
 the last few years.  The fact that Ben, Darren, and Summer are on the
 album gave me the inclination to buy it.  Side note,  if you do go out and
 buy the album, give it a fair shake.  The first, and sometimes second run
 through of an album may not grab you, but that third time boy it doesn't
 let go!

 2.  Unless you are a big fan of Fleming and John I would not suggest going
 out to buy the album.  Ben only plays (drums) on a few tracks anyway.  I'm
 going to prophetically say that F&J are only a one hit wonder.  And to be
 PC,  it is better to have had one hit than never to have had one at all.

 3.   On the BFF album,  It's great.  That's all.

 4.  I've seen a few postings for the band Bus Stop.  I just ordered a CD
 through their web page.  Very pleasent people to talk to, those folks
 down there in NC.  Bus Stop features Chuck Folds, Malcom "Eddie" Walker,
 Britt "Snuezz" Uzell, and Evan Olsen.  There web address is :
                                  Http://Ziggy.csc.ncsu.edu/~alapollo/BusStop/

 I've been told that the site is old and somewhat outdated but it is worth
 checking out.

 5.  One last point... Caleb Southern is everywhere.  This man is the hardest
 working man in NC.

       Any Questions on how all of this info is related to the BFF Feel free
           to e-mail me at the address at the top of the post.

  This is your life,  Joe.

 Date: 29 Apr 1996 02:23:57 GMT
 From: BuTteRworth <akline@disneys.oro.net>
 Subject: List name and other bands...

 Dear Frank and everybody,

 As far as I'm concerned, the best names offered for the list have ben the
 following:

 Hardback Cafe
 Looks, Brains and Everything
 Bag of Trash

 But that's just me.  Maybe something like "Steven's List Night," but I do
 believe that may be too lame.  We'll see.

 I've ben thinking about the concern over whether the list is a good place to
 discuss other bands that we Ben fans enjoy (the Fruvous controversy rages
 on...) and I've got this to propose.  If any interested list readers care to,
 they may e-mail me with a list of their top ten favorite bands, and after a
 given time (two weeks or so), I'll tally the whole mess up, and put it on
 here for all to see.  I'm not sure what kind of response this offer will get,
 but hopefully I'll end up with a nice list o' fun music.

 Take care,

 Adam Kline
 akline@disneys.oro.net
            You can't respect me 'cause I've done so much for you.