 Date: Tue, 14 May 96 11:35:58
 From: bminnick@locrscs.CMIC.STATE.PA.US
 Subject: Underground promo

  Frank, the catalog number for the "Underground" promo CD (containing the
 album version and radio edit of "Underground") is BF5PRO1. I didn't know
 if you wanted to add promos to the discography or not, but there you have
 it. I failed to mention the other day that the Japanese import of "Ben
 Folds Five" contains a nice CD booklet with all of the lyrics, including
 "Tom and Mary" and the pre-amended lyrics for "Julianne" and "Boxing."
 Lastly, kudos to the group for their "Uncle Walter" video. Nice job, guys.
 See ya!

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:29:18 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <MFP540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Can't think of any more ways of saying "UK news", so, err.......

  Finally, BF5 got round to being on the Mark Radcliffe show. I'm
 chuffed because he got them to answer some questions I had emailed
 him. Anyway, three pieces of news for all you UK fans (And welcome to
 Darren in Bath by the way. What took you? >8)  ).

 1) The next single will be Where's Summer B.? . Don't ask me when
 it's out, because I don't know

 2) BF5 will be in full colour moving vision on Later With Jools
 Holland, I guess this coming Saturday (or maybe Friday).

 3) BF5, with any luck, will be back in the UK next month. Wahey! And
 Mark Radcliffe relayed my little moan to them about not playing
 Birmingham, so I hope they get round to me this time!

 So, err, there we are. Looks like they might be around a lot in the
 next few weeks. Superb!

 Mark

 Talked only on the phone 'cos I had nothing to do. Got rid of Axl by
 the afternoon......

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 15:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "d.p.w." <jgore@nrv.net>
 Subject: e-mail address?

 What is the e-mail address to request videos on MTV???? We should all e-mail
 them once on the hour, every hour........(only if you have that much free
 time of course, but otherwise e-mail them a lot!!!!) Yeah! MTV will have to
 bow down and take notice to BFF Fans!!!!!! :) cool :)

 jason

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 15:47:29 -0500 (EST)
 From: jpinkos@lakers.lssu.edu
 Subject: I OUT OF IT!!!

 	I have only missed one week and I'm totally lost on all this new
 material.  Here is my list of BFF CD's and 7".  Please mail me corrections
 or additions:
 	1.Ben Folds Five-The Album
 	2.Jackson Cannery-7" Single
 	3.Mr.Wrong-Soundtrack appearance(Song for the dumped)
 	4....Cats+Dogs-Sountrack apperance(Bad Idea)
 -----These are the ones I can't find up here, PLEASE HELP.------------------
 	5.Underground-7"+CD Single
 	6.Uncle Walter-7"+CD Single
 	7.Summer B-EP
 	8.SXSW Sampler
 	9.Japanese BFF CD
 Can someone tell me what's on #5-9 and help me get them.  I really need a
 hand.		-JRP
 	 "I'm not foolin' you, I don't know what to do"

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:45:36 -0500
 From: geomac <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #83

 in the last digest sara wrote that her little sister though that it seemed
 like the presidents of the usa.  my roomate said the same thing.  it has a
 little bit of a "peaches" *charm* to it, especially when they jump off of
 the fence in slomo.  i loved the video!!!  does anyone know if it got
 airplay on alternative nation the next evening (that's usually what they
 do...to test out a video before mainstreaming it...and it's how marilyn
 manson got mainstreamed into the number one spot on eMpTyV)?  perhaps
 there's a chance for us.  oh, and ps...my father (who's about 52) tried to
 steal my bf5 disc.  neat.

 xoxoxo

 geoffy

 Geoffrey McNulty             |
 Asst. Promotions Director    |  "...emptiness is lonliness,
                              |      and lonliness is cleanliness,
 UW Madison Student Radio     |      and cleanliness is godliness,
 gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu   |      and god is empty just like me..."
                              |                   --William Corgan
 (608) 264-2261               |
 Madison Student Radio -- "It's coming...are you?"

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 15:57:45 -0400
 From: Alan Wolmark
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #82

 As I am sure everyone is aware, the video for UNCLE WALTER debuted on MTV's
 "120 Minutes" on Sunday night May 12.

 I hope everyone likes it as much as the band and I do.

 If we'd like to see it get more plays, we need to encourage everyone who gets
 the digest and everyone who checks the MMC folder to get in touch with MTV
 and REQUEST it.

 Please put this out to the legions of BF5 fans.

 And thanks for everyone's support.  We are trying to get out on the road
 again so we can see everyone before the studio beckons.  We'll be playing
 east of the Mississippi from May 30 through June 16 and then out on the first
 half of Lollapalooza.

 See you soon.

 Alan Wolmark

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 22:55:46 +0100 (BST)
 From: D W Logan <bs5dwl@bath.ac.uk>
 Subject: Punk or not?

 All,

 Unfortunately i cannot comment on the Uncle Walter video since it is not
 on MTV Europe (as far as i know). I can discuss whether BF5 can be
 classed as punk or not.

 I think Julianne is definately "punk-with-piano". The raw, bass heavy,
 mock-garage sound suggests it is meant to to sound punkish. The lyrical
 content, too, is typical with so called New Wave punk. Having said this i
 think BF5's collective tongues are firmly placed in their cheeks and that
 they are gently poking fun at the genre in much the same way that
 Underground is mocking the alternative scene.
 They rest of the album cannot be really classed as punk and i personally
 think it sounds like early Billy Joel!!

 As a matter of interest, there is a British group called Supergrass who,
 though not sounding musically much like BF5, have a very similar sense of
 humour, lyrically.....

 Darren (looking forward to british release of next single)

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 18:22:18 -0400
 From: John Fail <fail@llama.com>
 Subject: tour dates (for the list)

 Ya-hoo!  Ben Folds at Graffiti in Pittsburgh, June 12!!! Any other
 Pittsburgh folk who plan to attend?

 I missed them when they came in January, this is my chance to make up
 for it.

 Unfortunately, my two friends are graduating that night and they can't
 miss commencement.  I know that I would .... Ben Folds is definitly far
 better than graduation.

 sigh ....

 -john

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:59:59 -0600 (MDT)
 From: James Robert Campbell <jrcampbe@mines.utah.edu>
 Subject: More on the Summer EP

 Just got my hands on it today.  Thanks to the voice of Caroline Records
 for posting all of the relevent info.  I just wanted to point out, though,
 to all that may be drooling (as I was) at a second version of Summer B.,
 that the edited version is simply the album cut with the word 's***'
 muted out.  Big bummer, but the picture disc is pretty cool!

 Cheers,

 --James

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 17:31:19 -0700
 From: edahn@sprynet.com
 Subject: rare/live tracks

 Does anybody want to make me a tape of rare or live recordings.  I had to
 did to find the CD, so I'll never find any singles around here.  I'm
 interested in any non-album tracks, bootlegs (but only if the band doesn't
 mind bootlegers) or demo versions.  anyways, pleeze help!
              Curtis

 Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 21:24:08 -0400
 From: "Brian T. Moore" <bahmo@atlantic.net>
 Subject: BF5

 They're coming to Gainesville!  They're coming to Gainesville!  They're
 coming to Gainesville!  They're coming to Gainesville!  They're coming to
 Gainesville!  They're coming to Gainesville!  They're coming to Gainesville!
 They're coming to Gainesville!

 Looks like I'll be traveling the State of Florida in early June.  I guess
 not finding a summer job has worked out for the best. :)

 Brian Moore
 bahmo@atlantic.net
 or
 bahmo@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
 goo goo gajoob

 Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 06:29:59 GMT
 From: Jason Pilon <jason.pilon@teor.com>
 Subject: New to the List; a few questions

 Greetings from the edge of winter!  (Still, dammit!)

 How's everyone doing?

 Well, I found out about this list a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd
 say hi to everyone.  I'm posting from the fine city of Toronto, on the
 north shores of Lake Ontario.  Where it's still too damn cold.

 I first heard about BFF in January thanks to a friend of mine in St.
 Paul, MN (are you out there, fruitbat?) who has had more of an impact on
 my CD collection (hence, on my bank balance) than any other source that
 I can think of.  So this guy phones me up and starts rhyming off a bunch
 of bands that I should check out, as he does every couple of months.
 The only name that stuck out was Ben Folds Five, because it sounded so
 cool.  But that was the end of it... until about two or three months
 later, when what should I see staring me in the face in the new arrivals
 rack of my favourite used CD store but the BFF CD.  I knew fate was
 talking to me, so I bought it, never having heard (and barely having
 heard OF) the band.  What the hell, right?

 Well, I was hooked right away.  The biggest reason, I think, is because
 BFF is reasonably similar to a band that I got hooked on in '95 called
 the Inbreds.  The major difference was the addition of the piano to the
 mix.  (Yes, the Inbreds are a bass and drums duo.  It works!)  The
 second thing that struck me right off was the fact that I had not heard
 the piano used in pop music in years and years.  (To this day, I can't
 think of anyone in the past fifteen years to use it as an integral
 component of the music, as opposed to simply accompaniment to a
 vocalist.  Anyone have any ideas about that?)

 So, now I'm hooked.  And with the summer concert season coming on, I
 want to see these guys in concert.  But looking around, it appears to me
 that Ben Folds Five has never come to Toronto?  Is this true?  If so,
 what can a quality-music-deprived soul such as myself do to rectify
 that?  (They *are* on the Lollapaloser stop here, but there's no way on
 earth I'm spending that kind of money for the exactly ONE band on the
 bill I have any interest in.  I'm not that depraved.)

 Well, that's all for now.  Sorry for the rambling; I feel much better
 now!

 Jason

 Date: Wed, 15 May 96 09:55:09 BST
 From: Jay <jmg@pasture.bt.co.uk>
 Subject: London Splash Club gig (BF5)

 Hi,

 I haven't seen any UK reports so I'm gonna post a few comments about the
 London Splash club gig last Friday. I just wanna say what a wonderful gig
 this was and probably one of the best shows I've seen in the past couple
 of years. The place was absolutley packed and the crowd was great. I was
 totally blown away by the way the BF guys played and performed. They went
 down just great.... They even did a cover of Crosstown Traffic in the
 encore which was errr, unusual but interesting :)

 Also, thank you Caroline for releasing another single here (Summer is my
 fave BF song aswell :) Let's hope it's a huge hit.....

 I have this feeling that next time I see BF5 it may be in a much larger
 venue so I'm gonna treasure the Splash Club gig deeply :)

 OK, bye for now,

 Jay.

 Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 07:37:31 -0400
 From: MARK400@aol.com
 Subject: "Uncle Walter" and Lollapalooza!

 "Uncle Walter"
      Everybody on this mailing list has the responsibility to call your
 local radio station and request this song to be played as well as drop
 Alternative Nation some email every three or four days requesting the
 video.  Exposure!
  You can email Alternative Nation at MTV SLAVE@AOL.COM.  If they don't play
 it early and often they can just go to hell in a soapbox

 Lolloapalooza
      Ok, Ben Folds Five is playing the first half of Lollapalooza.  What
 does that mean?  I want to know what dates and cities that will be.  I
 don't think they will be playing Texas so I want to know my closest drive
 to see them.  I might go see them in Missouri next month but I don't want
 to drive that far if I don't have to.  Somebody help me out and get BF5
 dates for Lollapalooza!

 MARK400@AOL.COM

    [Mark: Dates thru July are posted on the Lollapalooza web site, which
 you can link to from the BFF page. Presumably it's the first half of the
 tour so it's likely that BFF will be at many if not all of those shows. -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 13:31:19 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <MFP540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Everything......

 Jenn Halter wrote:
  > Anyway- I enjoyed the video very much and then this morning i got a card
  > in the mail from the fan club encouraging people to request it!
  > I certainly will...

 Is this a proper fan club, or just Caroline Records distribution? I
 got a card with the Underground single (I really should send it). Is
 this the same thing?

 Caroline Records said something like:
 > The Summer ep was made for Triple A radio stations. It's got a picture disk
 > and lyrics printed on the bottom tray card. The catalog number is PSR
 > BF5PRO2, but it's not for sale.
 >
 > 1. Where's Summer B.? album version (4:06)
 > 2. Where's Summer B.? edit (4:06)

 That's not a very good "edit" then, is it? Perhaps they should say
 "remix".

 > The next UK single is "Where's Summer B.?"   The b-side on the 7" single is
 > a live version of "Tom & Mary".  The CD-single will also have a live
 > version of "Emmaline" which has never been heard anywhere ever.  Except, of
 > course, live.

 Caroline, I love you! >8)

 aard@rup.com fumed:
 >  many early punk acts had something to say and, in my
 > opinion, used loud, rebelling music to make waves (and start things like
 > the tipper gore censorship affair).  this new-school punk rock is
 > completely meaningless in that political perspective <opinion off.

 Good point. The Sex Pistols used songs to attack things they didn't
 like, even their (ex-)record company (EMI). Green Day just talk about
 wanking. (Can I say that? Is this a family show?).
     But I wouldn't class Ben Folds Five as punk, anti-punk, or
 anything. I think they belong in a rare genre known as "Unique".

 I guess that's all I have to say on the matter. Thanks.

 Mark
 http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430

    [The postcard came from Caroline Records and if you send in the card
 that came with the CD, you will be on that mailing list. -fjm]

 Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 12:14:12 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Jenn Halter <jlh4935@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: summer b

 hello there!

 hope everything is well in your worlds--it's rainy and cold here :(
 hopefully this weekend will be nice.  Anyway- I was at Pepper's Pizza
 last night and these guys standing behind me in line were talking about
 Summer Burke and how she is moving/lives in San Fransisco now.  Thought
 that was interesting.  It's a very small town...but i love it!! :)

 jenn  "How do we know what beauty lies inside of people, and the strange
        ways this world works to lure that beauty outward?"--MICROSERFS
                                                            Douglas Coupland

                    And I sang and danced about a high-rise