 Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:05:41 -0500 (EST)
 From: AGNEND86@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU
 Subject: Uncle Walter - The meanest man in the world

 Welp, I'm not sure what to make of the Uncle Walter video.  The SONG
 paints a picture of an annoying, yet benevolent man, while the VIDEO
 depicts him as harsh and cruel.  Yeah, Walter looks like a real curmudgeon
 in the video. This is what I hate about music videos.  When you hear a
 song before seeing a video, you already have your own mental video in your
 head, whether it be the band members themselves, or the first place where
 you actually heard the song. After seeing a video of such a song, you from
 that point on probably think of the video, and only the video when you
 hear the song.  The video kind of wipes out the mental imagery you had in
 your head, up until the first time you viewed it.  Is this making sense?
 I know a lot of people who have said this kind of stuff before, and a lot
 more eloquantley I might add.  Better spelling too as well, I'm sure.  By
 the way, if that guy in the video is supposed to be 50, then I think we're
 all enteitled to subtract 5 years from our ages, eh?

 Those of you who like BF5, may also enjoy Papas Fritas, a band that
 recently came out with a debut album on Minty Fresh.  Most of it isn't
 piano driven, but it has a certain charm that brings BF5 to mind.  It
 actually might remind some people, as it does me, of Small Factory, but
 some of the songs, such as, "Lame to Be" would fit in quite nicely on the
 BF5 album.  See for yourself.  You should be able to pick it up in a used
 bin somewhere.

 Neal A.

 Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 00:32:20 GMT
 From: Randy Hall <rehall@usa.pipeline.com>
 Subject: (Fwd) Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #83

 aard wrote:

 >the only lolla show in arizona is going to be in tucson, 2 hours south of
 >metro phoenix.  anyone else in the phoenix area on the list?

 Yep.  Probably won't do Lolla (things pretty busy now).   I'd love to see
 BF5 do a club date around here.

 >i'm desparate, nobody in arizona has heard of, much less likes bff.

 Not true!  I actually picked up the disc based on a recommendation from
 another Todd Rundgren fan.  It's true that there are many similarities
 between
 current BF5 material and Todd material from a few years ago.  The disc
 hasn't
 left my CD player since I picked it up.

 >yet to hear it on the radio here.  thank goodness for east coast friends.

 Have you tried KZON yet?  If they'll play Todd, they'll certainly play BF5!

 Maybe time for an e-mail campaign.  Check out their web page at
 http://www.kzon.com.  BTW, Todd played several BF5 tunes on his syndicated
 radio show "The Difference with Todd Rundgren."  The show used to air on
 KZON at 6am on Saturday mornings, but I think they've cancelled it.
 Here's a rundown on the tunes/episodes as well as other related info if
 you want to check out the Difference....

 Jackson Cannery -- Aired on Broadcast #45 (recorded live for the
 Difference)
 Philosophy          -- Aired on Broadcast #64
 Underground       -- Aired on Broadcast #54
 Summer              -- Aired on Broadcast #36 & 52

 For more info, check out the Difference Companion at

 http://www.roadkill.com/cgi-roger/difference

 --
 Randy Hall
 rehall@usa.pipeline.com

 Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 21:16:58 CDT
 From: binky@clubhouse.email.net
 Subject: Lollapaloozers in Texas

 Just found out that BFF Will be playing Lollapalooza's stop in College
 Station, TX (not sure of the date). If ya gotta go to College Station, might
 as well have a good reason... (Aggies, don't flame... IT'S A JOKE!)

 Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 23:24:53 -0400
 From: jenn <jenns@voicenet.com>
 Subject: for bff: julianne

 hello bff fans,

      i just wanted to ask if anyone else out there likes the song Julianne
 as much as i do.  it's my favorite song on the CD i bought, but i haven't
 seen too much about it on this mailing list.
      another quick question:  where can i get more bff stuff?

 jenn
 I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're
 omnipotent.

 Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 00:23:42 -0500
 From: kirkwood duke <duke@charm.net>
 Subject: hello, and lollapalamo

 hi, i've been listening in for a few issues, but this is my first post.
 just want to say hi to all of you who appreciate bf5.

 re: lollapa-metal-fest.
 as far as i know, at least for my local version of lollapaloozer, bf5 is
 only playing the side stage, and is not part of the main billing. i won't
 buy a real ticket, but might show up just for bf5, essentially in the
 parking lot!

 that's all for now, and i look forward to conversing with you all in the future.

 --kirk

 p.s. if there's any xtc fans among you, check out my xtc site 'beatown'
 http://www.charm.net/~duke/xtc/beatown,html

 Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 18:41:45 -0400
 From: MANDEL ILAGAN <ilagan@husc.harvard.edu>
 Subject: West Palm Beach Concert Info?

 Much to my delight, I've discovered that Ben Folds Five is playing in West
 Palm Beach on June 4 just in time for my return home from college!  I
 missed their Boston show a few weeks.  Well, to tell you the truth, I
 hadn't even heard of them until last wee k!  Anyhoo, I have a few
 questions regarding the show:

 * Does anybody out there know what kind of a venue the Carefree Theater
 is?  Is it a small music hall?  Is it a nightclub?  Are there any age
 limits to get in?  (I hope if there is one that it's not above 19!!)

 * Does anybody know exactly where Carefree Theater is located?

 * Does anybody know how much the tickets are and if how long I can safely
 wait to get tickets before they sell out?  I'm still awaiting word from a
 couple of friends if they're going to be available to come along with me
 to the concert.

 * How much are the tickets going to be?

 * What time is the show going to be that night and how long is it?

 Thanks!

 Mandel Ilagan ilagan@fas.harvard.edu UNTIL MAY 24!!: AFTER MAY 28(?):
 (617) 493-4760 (954) 434-4894

 "In a USA Today interview, Vanna White said since her son has been born
 she wants to work less. Vanna.. you turn tiles for a living.. if you
 worked any less you would be the triangle player in the K.C. and the
 Sunshine Band."
 	- From the genius mind of Dennis Miller (1996)

 Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 19:26:39 +0900
 From: Motohashi Azusa <st31285@srv.cc.hit-u.ac.jp>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five LP

  I saw Ben Folds Five LP for the first time today. In Japan ,there are little
  record for LP and EP . Have CD and LP been sold since last summer in U.S.A?
  Almost all rock and pop music are released on CD now here.
  The LPs we see in stores are usually made in U.S.A. or U.K..

  The prices are very much more expensive here than any other country.
  for example, Ben Folds Five ticket was
  6,000 yen(600 dollars), Ben Folds Five cd is 3,000 yen (300 dollars),
  (I'm sorry. It costs 2,500 yen.), a cup of coffee costs 250 yen at least.
  So we buy import goods - cd or video.But there is a problem. Imports has
  no lyrics cards . We have to decide which we buy - 1500 yen but no lyrics
  cards  or  3000 yen with booklets.

  Oh,I have a topic about Ben Folds Five in Japan. Ben Folds Five's songs
  are used in a TV drama ,"Long Vacation". The program has been the most
  popular, and Takuya Kimura- a member of SMAP, actor -is
  very popular among young women.  If their songs are only used for back
  music on the drama,it is not a special thing in Japan. The reason that
  I am writing about it is characters said the words "Ben Folds Five" or
  "I love this song. What group is it?"- or "I have Ben Folds Five show
  tickets. Shall we go to the show?" and so on. Main character (Mr.Kimura
  plays) who is an unpopular classic pianist loves younger good pianist.
  But he began to feel their diferences. And the thing which exemplifies the
  differences is BEN FOLDS FIVE.She loves their music and the man who
  has something wild. There is a woman who lives with the Main character.
  She was a fiancee of a man who lived
  with Mr.Sena(The name is main character's name.Mr. Kimura plys him).
  Unlike "The graduate", the husband-to-be ran away,
  the bride-to-be was left behind. [Jilted.] And she (Ms.Minami) had no place
  to live after that.So Mr.Sena
  gave her a room to live . Mr. Sena and Ms. Minami are always fighting
  but their relationship is getting better.

 Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 15:55:42 -0700
 From: edahn@sprynet.com
 Subject: tour

 Boo Hoo..I'm crying.  I just found out that the bf5 aren't going to be in
 lollapalooza by the time it comes.  They were the only band I wanted to
 see there.  Them and GVSB.  Maybe I'll go to see Soul Coughing, but I
 already saw M.  Doughty do a solo accoustic set in a really little club
 (there was about 12 people in the audiance).  Anyways, do you know if
 they'll be going back out on tour after lolla, and if so, will they be
 coming to Syracuse.  I've started a little cult fanbase around here that's
 growing quickly.

 Curtis

 Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 18:27:02 +0100 (BST)
 From: D W Logan <bs5dwl@bath.ac.uk>
 Subject: TV appearance

 Hi All,

 Ben Folds Five appeared on British terrestrial TV for the first time
 yesterday.
 They played "Philosophy". The show was "Later With Jools Holland"
 and they appeard with Hootie and the Blowfish (pretty good set actually),
 Pete Townsend and Manic Street Preachers.
 Ben gave his piano the full treatment, using his feet and fists to good
 effect!! I don't know if they chose the correct song to play but it was
 pretty impressive all the same. Jools seemed very impressed, being a bit
 of genius on the piano himself.

 I have also been in contact with the administrator on CIN charts who told
 me that "Underground" only sold c.500 copies on its first week of
 release here, though the album is doing a better. Hopefully Radio 1
 will playlist the next single and it will go to No 1 for 16 weeks!!

 Bye,

 Darren

 Date: Sun, 19 May 96 14:49:45 -0700
 From: Fred Antonangeli <fantonan@bcn.net>
 Subject: BF5

 I was just wondering, if you knew off hand, if BF5 have released any
 singles? Also..out of curiosity, do you know like if Bus Stop's cds are
 released to like major music chains, because I"ve been looking all over
 the place for them. Thanks...and the BF5 page is lovely, thanks for the
 tour dates for Lollapalooza..

 Sarah

    [There are singles but I don't think any have been released in the US
 except as promos. I don't know how widely distributed Bus Stop's releases
 are. Chuck Folds is here - maybe he can provide mail-order info. -fjm]

    [Eavesdropping on Usenet:]

  Newsgroup: rec.music.christian
  From: gershbei@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu (Michael Gershbein)
  Subject: Re: FLEMING & JOHN in US Today!

   The two most annoying band descriptions that I've seen have come from Ben
   Folds.  Describing his own band: "punk rock for sissies".  Uh, no, I
   don't think so.  Nothing punk about it.  How about "piano rock"?
   And regarding Fleming and John - "The Carpenters with Led Zeppelin's
   rhythm section".  I haven't heard them, but it doesn't sound too
   interesting.  Actually sounds like he's trying to get some kind of
   geek-rock/seventies rock dichotomy, so that he can sound cool.
   I like the Ben Folds Five album, but I think that his band descriptions
   are stupid.
   --
    Mike Gershbein          "I've got nostalgia for an age yet to come!"
    Librarian                               -Buzzcocks

  [Also, Glenn Macdonald wrote a great review of Ben Folds Five in the
 electronic review publication "War on Silence" which gets posted to
 rec.music.reviews. I've asked for his permission to repost it on the web
 page.
   Watch your e-box this week for details on how to vote for the list
 name. Coming soon! -fjm]

          She said, "You've been pushing me like I was a sore tooth."