 Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 18:09:03 -0400
 From: ShulussJoe@aol.com
 Subject: Uncle Walter Video

 You're right.  Whenever I hear a song, I get a mental picture, sometimes
 like a video, but how I percieve it.  Then whenever I hear the song from
 that point out, I still remember my original mental picture, but the video
 is the first thing that comes to mind.  Allthough I always did kindof
 picture Uncle Walter as a kindof nosey jerk, the age suprised me a little
 bit.  They wrote the song though, I guess they're intitled to their own
 opinion. ;-)

 Well, see you later.
 "The kindest truths are often spoke and never heard."

 Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 02:52:12 GMT
 From: Toru Kurihara <tkuri@usa.pipeline.com>
 Subject: Lollapalooza or not?

 Hi Frank and everybody, how's it going?

 My question is, BFF's Lollapalooza appearance is true or just a rumor? I
 don't think I can go to see Lollapalooza anyway, though.

 My friend Azusa posted that BFF LP is available in U.K. Is it really
 available? Please let me know, U.K. friends!

 Thanks.
 Kuri

    [Truth on the Lollapalooza, just the first half. -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 00:28:43 -0500
 From: Iron Kong Productions <monkey@inf.net>
 Subject: That damn tiny shoe

 Dear fellow listies,
         Hey there.  My name is Greg and I live in Kansas.  This is my first
 post to the list...how is everyone?
         Someone asked about the SXSW sampler.  I have it, and it's got "Tom
 and Mary" live on it.  Now you know.
         I saw BF5 Feb 1 in Lawrence, KS at the Bottleneck.  It was a great
 show.  They covered "Video Killed The Radio Star" by the Buggles, as well as
 "Crosstown Traffic" by Jimi Hendrix.  It was very nice.  There were too many
 frat people (too many=more than none) at that show, but it was not dampered
 by the ignorant members of the crowd.  I was wowed and amazed and
 enthralled.  I bought a shirt...it's just navy blue, with the piano drawing
 from the CD in white on the front, and on the back it says "I was never cool
 in school...I bet you don't remember me".  I wish it was blank on the back.
 Not that I don't like that song, but it's so overplayed that everyone has
 embraced that line and it's become a bit tiresome.  So, I don't wear the
 shirt very much.
         I don't think I'm gonna go to Lollapalooza.  As much as I like BF5,
 (as well as GVSB) I can't see myself spending 50 bucks to see them, when
 they'll probably play close to me for 10 bucks or less soon after the tour.
         I have a feeling this list will blossom after/during the
 Lollapalooza tour.  A lot of people will probably find out about BF5 because
 of Lollapalooza, and this list will be jam packed.  Honestly, I haven't ever
 found out about a band because I saw them at Lollapalooza, except for the
 Boredoms.  That's just my 2 cents.
         I'm really glad this list is around.  I did an interview with Ben
 for my fanzine at that show in Feb.  If anyone wants to purchase a copy from
 me, email me and I'll give you my address.

 Love,
 Greg Monkey

 p.s.  ANyone know the story behind that damn tiny shoe on Ben's mic in the
 "UnCle Walter" vid???

 Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 00:34:44 -0500
 From: "J.J. Engel" <JJEngel@mail.utexas.edu>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #86

 > (Ben had to belly-crawl over the piano to get out for the couple of songs he
 > played on something that sort of jogs my memory is known as a 'concertina'
 > but I know that's the wrong name... an octave and a half keyboard with an air
 > tube)

 It's called a melodica.  It's a neat little instrument and they use it well.
 The song was Steven's Last Night.

 Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 12:10:38 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <MFP540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Re: Just An Idea

 > From: Tocadisco@aol.com
 >
 > Since we know BFF is destined for great things, lets do something that
 > will make us a part of BFF forever.  Lets come up with and agree on a chant
 > or slogan that we can call out at BFF concerts.  I don't know if there is one
 > already, but if not let us, the unofficial fan club, create it.  If anybody
 > likes this idea post a response on the list.  If its not a good idea, just
 > ignore this, I don't want to read a hundred messages on how bad my idea was.

 I think a word would be sufficient. In their earlier days, R.E.M.
 fans were to be heard shouting "Chestnut". It's pretty cool. It lets
 you know who's around. Someone shouts a word, you know there's
 someone else from the list there. A good way to find those people you
 know but haven't a clue what they look like.
        Having said that, I've no idea what sort of word. Something
 that BF5 might just get the joke on ("Chestnut" came from Michael
 Stipe's repeated introducing of songs as "Chestnut"). Any
 suggestions?

 Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 09:48:28 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Kate Cottle <kcottle@hopi.dtcc.edu>

 about "Stop the bus!"  It seems like it would be kinda fun to yell.

 Kate

 	....Everyone has talent.  What is rare is the courage to follow the
 talent to the dark place where it leads.  E. Jong
 	....There's so much comedy on television.  Does that cause comedy
 on the streets?    --Dick Cavett, mocking the TV violence debate

 Date: 22 May 1996 12:25:04 CST
 From: rosaliem@bbs.exoticomm.com
 Subject: New BF5 Fan

 Hi! I may be showing my age here, but the reason I enjoy the Ben Folds
 Five is because they remind me a lot of Squeeze, especially in the songs
 "Where's Summer B?" and "Alice Childress". I wish I could have seen them
 on the Jools Holland Show in England, since Jools is a former member of
 Squeeze. I know that a lot of people like Ben Folds Five because they
 remind them of another band they like.

 Also, as luck would have it, I didn't discover the music of BF5 until
 the week AFTER they played here in New Orleans. So, they need to come
 back and play here, just for me (g).

 Thanks for posting, everyone! I enjoy reading everything you guys write.

 Date: Wed, 22 May 96 15:48:01 -0700
 From: Fred Antonangeli <fantonan@bcn.net>
 Subject: Lollapalooza

 Does anyone know when the tickets for Lollapalooza in either Syracuse or
 Middletown, NY go on sale?

    [I checked the 'palooza webpage today and still no date. You will be
 able to buy them online three days before they go on sale over the
 counter. -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:16:41 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "d.p.w." <jgore@nrv.net>
 Subject: Geezer lake, June, And Squealer

 Hey, you guys should check out the Squealer Home Page.
 http://www.mal.org/~squealer.   Squealer is an incredible indie record label
 which has released albums by such bands as June, Geezer Lake, Rake, Yak!,
 Spatula, and more. Actually, I'm not sure about Spatula, but they do have a
 lot to do with them. Check it out.

 Go ahead and laugh all you want
      I got my philosophy
      And I trust it like the ground
      That's why my philosophy
      Keeps me walking when I'm falling down

             If my mind's somewhere else you won't be able to tell