 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 00:49:40 -0500
 From: Greg Monkey <monkey@inf.net>
 Subject: The SONY Deal...

 > I worry a bit about that for BFF...Caroline aren't big enough to give
 > the band the push it really needs in the UK.  A good video will get
 > you heavy rotation (see, I have been practising :-)) on MTV but over
 > here everything is radio-led and the release of 'Where's Summer B'
 > has been too low profile.

 Well, I don't know if anyone else knows about the deal with Sony/550 Music,
 but Ben Folds Five's next album will be out on Sony/Epic/550 music, and NOT
 Caroline.  They've already signed the deal.  From what I know, Caroline is
 responsible for press and such right now, but when the biggest surge of
 hype/sales is over, that's when Sony takes over promotion and such.  Had
 anyone heard this before I talked about it here?  I mean, the little details
 I gave could be wrong, but I know for sure (from good sources...their
 manager) that they are property of Sony now or in the near future.  Hope I
 don't bring a damper on anyone else's day...but I posted this to say that
 you shouldn't need worry about the future of the band.  Sony has enough
 clout to get heavy rotation of whatever they want, so Ben Folds Five will be
 supah huge one day.

 Greg

 (P.S.  Congratulations, everyone...this is the 100th issue!!!  Start the
 chanting..."Frank...Frank...Frank..")

     [It was announced in January that the band signed with Sony 550 for
 the next album, but this has not stopped Caroline from aggressively
 promoting the band and the album. Caroline doesn't have the resources
 that the other companies do, particularly in Europe, but they are doing
 the best they can and they don't seem to be giving up. -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 23:52:49 -0700
 From: Ken Coleman <kcoleman@deltanet.com>
 Subject: BFF haven't heard Jellyfish material

 After BFF played the Hard Rock Cafe out here in Newport Beach last
 December, my friend and I spoke with Ben between his set and Barenaked
 Ladies' set. Being big Jellyfish fans, we asked him if he listened to
 Jellyfish. He said he hadn't heard them, but people had told him that they
 are similar in style and that they were probably both influenced by the
 same groups.

 So what groups influenced BFF and Jellyfish? Any suggestions?

 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 08:49:46 -0400
 From: Dan B... <dan@itre.itre.ncsu.edu>
 Subject: At concerts: hello, my name is...

 David A Meyerson wrote:

 > we get those "hello" stickers and write underneath the hello:
 > "I'M ON THE MAILING LIST, FOOL"

 I read this, and a little sinister grin came over my face when
 I pictured all of us walking around concerts with stickers
 that say "hello my name is...FRANK" ...Then I thought, let's
 not harass the man who so generously provides us with a BF5
 lifeline.

 So, we change it a little... "hello my name is FRANCO"
 It would be great to see ten or twelve people walking
 around with stickers all proclaiming to be named FRANCO!
 Of course, it could be Pedro or Pablo or JackieO for
 that matter. I don't care, but I do second the nomination
 for name stickers.

 Can't wait till the boys come home to the Cradle...
 From sunny Carrboro, NC
 Dan

 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:45:55 -0400
 From: LunaGurl@aol.com
 Subject: more stickers

 i think the sticker idea is
 neaty keen

 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:13:51 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <MFP540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Cool's out for summer

 Hi everybody,

 In case those in the UK hadn't realised, the release date of "Where's
 Summer B?" is now this coming Monday, the 17th. Sob. Better news is
 that those who returned the mailing card to Caroline should receive a
 Where's Summer B? postcard, to which is attached a small black button
 badge, with the stick piano on it. Cool. A collectors item.

 Anyway my dear chums, I must now leave you for the summer. Think of
 me whilst I am away in the wilderness, but safe to say I shall return
 to the flock as soon as possible. So, Frank, I hate to say it, but
 can you please unsubscribe me from the list for now. BTW, is anything
 happening about a FAQ? Not that it matters, because I won't be here
 to hear the answer.....

 Mark
 "I think about my friends, sometimes I wished they lived out here"

 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:24:16 -0400
 From: Shan111111@aol.com
 Subject: BF5 in Rololing Stone

  > * What exactly was the rating that they received in Rolling Stone?

 I didn't see a review in Rolling Stone, but I do remember an article last
 summer (?)  featuring several new bands, BF5 being one of those.  I don't
 know if I'd trust a Rolling Stone review, anyway.  It's all opinion :)

 shan

    [They called it "the debut album of the year" or something like that.
 -fjm]

 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:44:32 -0400
 From: Andrea Merrifield <hapfield@commdesign.com>
 Subject: IS BF5 EVER COMING TO MAINE?!

 hi gize
         ARE BF5 EVER COMING TO MAINE?! i've gotta see them live!!!!

 thanx

 SPOT

 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:52:54 -0400 (EDT)
 From: ecmarm@harborcom.net
 Subject: <no subject>

 > From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" <davidmey@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
 > Subject: an idea to recognize each other at concerts.
 >
 > we get those "hello" stickers and write underneath the hello:
 > "I'M ON THE MAILING LIST, FOOL"

 "I'M ON THE MAILING LIST, FOOL" woud be good,
 unless they would happen to read:
                         HELLO MY NAME is
                    I'M ON THE MAILING LIST, FOOL
 be wise

 Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 22:20:05 -0400 (EDT)
 From: the inevitable me <jomuelle@MailBox.Syr.Edu>
 Subject: 3 Chairs 4 Frank

 	We have seen this list reach issue #100 and an increase in
 membership to beyond 500 devoted fans.  All wonderful!  I just want to take
 the time to thank Frank on behalf of all of us (if I may be allowed to
 speak for all of us...)  But just who is Frank Maynard???   Who is this
 man who makes our fandom just a bit kooler and stuff???  I guess it
 doesn't matter.  What is important is that he does this.  Alright, so I
 guess I'm not so much a spokesman but who cares......thanks Frank!!!

 			"Frank is my Satan!"......just kiddin'

 						-the inevitable me....josh

 Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:33:18 +0000
 From: John Wroton <jwroton@nando.net>
 Subject: Re: Joe Jackson similarities

 The first time I listened to the BF5 album I said, "Self, you know he
 really sounds like Joe Jackson used to sound."  I'm glad other people
 hear that too.  I love almost everything by Joe.  BF5 should cover
 his classic "Is She Really Going Out with Him?".  That would be a
 good concert tune.

 By the way, I live in Chapel Hill, but have only
 gotten to see Ben once - that was in January the night of one of the
 big ice storms we had this past winter.  Despite the ice and the
 cold, the boys played an awesome show.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get
 anybody else to go with me that night because of the weather.  I'm
 sure I could have created a few more new fans!

 Thanks for listening.
 John Wroton
 UDI Community Development Corporation
 P.O.Box 1349