 Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 02:11:39 -0400
 From: SHEBASS1@aol.com
 Subject: BFF - The Jellyfish Thing

 >  I've heard Jellyfish mentioned a few times, who exactly are they?  Do they
  <
 >  sound like Ben Folds Five?  How many people are in the band and what     <
 >  instruments do they play?  Most of all, is it worth buying?
                           <

 Jellyfish is (was) a 4 piece band from the San Francisco area, who can
 easily be labelled as the quintessential pop band.  They were made up of
 keys, guitar, bass and drums, but their stage set-up was quite unique.
 The lead vocalist was the drummer, but he fronted the band while playing a
 stand-up drum kit.  I wouldn't say they sound like BFF (or that BFF sounds
 like them), but both bands have great hooky songs, incredible vocals,
 great musicians, and a great sense of humor.  If you like bands like BFF,
 XTC and Squeeze, run out and buy both "Bellybutton" and "Spilt Milk" by
 Jellyfish.  Besides the quality of the songs and the band, the production
 is pretty impressive.
  Unfortunately, Jellyfish is no longer a band, but there are a number of
 offshoots:  Imperial Drag, Umajets, The Grays (though The Grays aren't
 together anymore either).  Check 'em out.  You will not be disappointed.

 Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:37:16 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Odds <oddsman@wam.umd.edu>
 Subject: BFF Opening for Neil Young?

 I just heard (I think) that BFF is opening for Neil Young at a pavilion
 concert in Northern Virginia...is this correct?  It also said Jewel would
 be playing as well...The radio was kinda fuzzy so I couldn't be sure if I
 heard it correctly.  Anyone know if BFF will play solo this summer as well?

 kev
 *  Kevin Gandel                         *           Maintainer             *
 *  Criminology and Criminal Justice     *             of the               *
 *  University of Maryland, College Park *    Unofficial Odds Home Page     *
 *  Oddsman@wam.umd.edu                  *     http://www.wam.umd.edu/      *
 *  http://www.wam.umd.edu/~oddsman      *       ~oddsman/Odds.html         *

 Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:27:46 -0400
 From: LunaGurl@aol.com
 Subject: hello my name is...

 um, stupid?
 no just kidding.
 but i actually think "i'm on the mailing list, fool"
 is far funnier underneath, "hello, my name is"
 than just any old sticker
 well, that's all
 just wanted to add my vote

 kristen

 Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 20:22:08 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "d.p.w." <jgore@nrv.net>
 Subject: Wow!!!

 I am not going to have to go to Lollapalooza now!!! Word! Tomorrow morning I
 am going to go buy tickets for Jewel/ Ben Folds Five/ and Neil Young at
 Walnut Creek on Aug 12th. The same show will be at Charlotte on the 13th.
 Wow!!! I can't believe this! This is going to rock my world upside down.

 Go ahead and laugh all you want
      I got my philosophy
      And I trust it like the ground
      That's why my philosophy
      Keeps me walking when I'm falling down

 ************** jason *****************************

 Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 21:14:07 -0400
 From: Ruprecht76@aol.com
 Subject: Jackson's Cannery, my new Bf5 page...

 About a month ago I said I would make a Ben Folds Five page.  Now that I've
 moved to a new server, and have actually put some work into it, I have made
 one.
 The URL is http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/bf5/   I have named it Jackson's
 Cannery because there didn't seem to be any other "locations" in any of their
 songs. If you have any suggestions as to what to rename it, I'd be glad to
 hear them.  Anyway, right now it is basic information about the band and a
 picture archive of sorts.  I would like to make an interpretation archive and
 maybe a FAQ, if no one else has started one.  Well, if you have some free
 time, take a look.

 I have been on here for a while and I have been wondering if there is a
 particular telnet place or IRC channel that Bf5 fans go to... if there is not
 one, I have one to suggest...

 a spooky man named Ike

 I wish that I could jump out of my .sig

 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 00:07:47 -0500
 From: Hopalong Cassidy III <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: Re: Just who are those Jellyfish people?

 Jellyfish is a great British band, perhaps best known commercially for
 their song "The King is Half Undressed" which is pretty much now only
 played as a video clip on one of the episodes of Beavis & Butthead on
 eMpTyV.  There are some definite similarities to BF5, and both are great
 pop acts.  I remember when I first heard BF5 I wondered if Jellyfish had
 gotten back together or if the lead singer formed a new band.  Jellyfish's
 first album is called "Bellybutton," and is definitely worth buying.  The
 second album "Spilt Milk" is also a great record, and both are worth
 buying, in my opinion.  Oh, and if you've heard the new single "Are You a
 Boy or a Girl?" by Imperial Drag, that sould give you a slight sense of
 the Jellyfish sound, given that Imperial Drag features the lead singer of
 Jellyfish as well as one other member.  One more thing, if you've heard of
 "The Moog Cookbook," it too is put together by the lead singer of
 Jellyfish.

 And just so I don't piss off anybody by not concentrating this posting on
 BF5, BEN FOLDS FIVE RULE!!!

  >>I've heard Jellyfish mentioned a few times, who exactly are they?  Do they
  >>sound like Ben Folds Five?  How many people are in the band and what
  >>instruments do they play?  Most of all, is it worth buying?

 dj geomac IV

 Geoffrey McNulty             |
 Asst. Promotions Director    |  "...emptiness is lonliness,
                              |      and lonliness is cleanliness,
 UW Madison Student Radio     |      and cleanliness is godliness,
 gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu   |      and god is empty just like me..."
                              |                   --William Corgan
 (612) 688-0973               |
 Madison Student Radio -- "It's coming...are you?"

 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 06:43:02 -0700
 From: Richard A Kochman <rkdc@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five

 hey now......

 I just heard BFF for the first time a week ago on a radio station in
 Florida - Underground.  I ended up calling the radio station to ask the
 name of the band that they had just played and found out about BFF. 3
 days later I had the disc and now I'm addicted. Who are these guys?
 Where can I find out more about them? Can I get on a mailing list -
 internet or snail mail.  Any info would be great - thanks.

 Rich

 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:44:32 -0400
 From: TOM_CRIMMINS@yr.com
 Subject: BFF Review in NME

           The following quote was found in the latest issue of NME in the
           U.K.:

           BEN FOLDS FIVE
           Where's Summer B?
           (Caroline)

           "... Ben Folds Five are infinitely more dodgy than Dodgy, 'Where
                Summer B?' is a mere mumbling mongoose next to the
                piano-slamming goliath that was Andrew Gold's 'Lonely Boy',
                and - even more crucially - I claim my Eagles 'Greatest
                Hits'. Inexcusable.

           Can somebody tell me what the hell this means?!?  Who the heck is
           "Dodgy" and what does a mongoose have to do with anything?  If
           this reviewer thinks Andrew Gold has more talent than BFF, well I
           don't think he's qualified to make any judgments.

           "Inexcusable," I say!

           tc

 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:32:42 -0700
 From: Richard A Kochman <rkdc@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: BFF

 Sorry to make my first post a grovel, but - does anyone out there have
 live recordings of BFF? If so, please get in touch with me.  I've got
 lots of other live stuff to trade and I'm sure we could work something
 out.

 Does BFF allow sbd patches at their shows? A lot of the indie bands are
 allowing people to tape and trade tapes of their shows in order to gain
 more exposure.  Does anyone know if BFF falls into this catagory?

 Also, other than the cd I bought this week - are there other BFF
 recordings that are commercially available that I should be on the
 lookout for?

 Finally, I'm compelled to tell my BFF story.  I was in Florida at my
 cousin's wedding 2 weeks ago and was running through the radio stations
 hoping to find something off the beaten path when I hit a station
 playing "Underground".  My first reaction was - "No s**t - Jellyfish
 got back together!".  By the end of the song, I had told my wife that I
 was determined to find out who that was beacuse the disc was going to
 be unbelievable.  I actually called the radio station to ask the artist
 and the song.  When I got home, I headed out to Blockbuster Music to
 check out the rest of the disc.  I already knew "Underground" from the
 radio....about 4 seconds into the first track I knew that I was buying
 this disc.........it hasn't been out of the disc player since.

 Okay, I lied - one more quick BFF related story. I've been listening to
 this disc incessantly for a week and a half now.  Last night I went to
 the Bayou in Wash, DC to see my friend's band open for two other bands
 that I never heard of.  After my friend's set, we stick around for the
 next band - some group that I've never heard of called Bus Stop.  By
 the third song, I was looking around to see where I could sign up on
 their mailing list...........this morning I found out that the bass
 player in Bus Stop is Ben Folds' brother.

 Life has a weird way of sneaking up on you sometimes.

 Thanks for indulging the long post.

 Rich

 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:31:32 -0400 (EDT)
 From: harvey Cohen <harvman@wam.umd.edu>
 Subject: BFF, Neil, and the original demo tapes (?)

 Hello Folders:

 There was in an ad in this week's Washington DC City Paper, for an
 appearance by Neil Young at the Nissan Pavilion this August, with opening
 acts the Ben Folds Five and Jewel.  Sounds quite excellent, except for the
 latter of the three.  Is this part of a national tour?  Anyone know?
 Neil has a history of picking cool opening acts for himself--I wonder if
 he is a fan of BFF.

 This is my first time contributing to the list, and I would like to see
 if anyone can confirm a rumor that I heard this last March.  I was
 visiting a friend who used to live in North Carolina and knew (more
 accurately, hung out a couple times at a house with and saw live once) the
 Ben Folds Five way before the album on Caroline.  This person told me
 that the great majority of songs on the debut album had been recorded
 previously in a more commercial and slick manner, but that the songs were
 re-recorded to take advantage of the more lo-fi indie college radio kind
 of market that they would be aiming for on Caroline Records.  This person
 implied that they "roughed up" their sound to have a better chance at a
 deal on an indie. This person also inferred that other bands in the North
 Carolina scene thought this amounted to a smarmy calculated sell-out.

 If this has been discussed previously on the list, I apologize (only been
 on it for a couple months), but I was just curious if anyone could
 confirm this fact.  And if it's true, has anyone heard these tapes?

 the Harvman

 Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 16:50:01 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Jenn Halter <jlh4935@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: more covers

 I have it!!  BFF should cover these great Beatles tunes:

 Golden Slumbers
 Here comes the Sun King
 Old Brown Shoe

 OR "Alex Chilton" by the Replacements!!

 jenn

        Now your phone is disconnected and your sh*t's out on the lawn