 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 19:05:35 -0400
 From: Mr Blue <dltucker@access.mountain.net>
 Subject: Lolapalooza

 > Call me cynical, but I don't think the average Lollapalooza audience will
 really
 > warm up to the Ben Folds Five.

 I'm affraid you're right. They are alot of cool bands playing the second
 stage that the average Lola-audience won't "get".  I hope though they
 will win some new fans. I think it would be worth their time if they can.

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 19:11:38 -0400 (EDT)
 From: D-Tox Records <d-tox@binary9.net>
 Subject: bff/geezer lake dates

 Frank -

 I don't know if you have them or not, but these are the dates for the
 bff/geezer lake tour. Note that there are two dates that geezer lake
 are without the bff. I'm not sure what bff are doing on those two days.
 This list is from the William Morris agency, so it should be official.

 Thx,

 Adam

  thu may 30      charleston      music farm
  fri may 31      columbia        rockafella's
  sat jun 01      jacksonville    milk bar
  sun jun 02      jacksonville    moto lounge (without BFF)
  mon jun 03      orlando         sapphire supper club
  tue jun 04      miami           carefree theatre
  wed jun 05      gainesville     covered dish
  thu jun 06      off
  fri jun 07      birmingham      five points south
  sat jun 08      memphis         omni new daisy
  sun jun 09      memphis         newby's or barrister's (tent. & w/o BFF)
  mon jun 10      nashville       328 performance
  tue jun 11      cincinnatti     club gotham
  wed jun 12      cincinnatti     sudsey malone's (tent. & without BFF)
  thu jun 13      pittsburgh      graffiti

 --
 d-tox@binary9.net
 http://www.binary9.net/d-tox

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 19:14:36 -0500
 From: Opus <opusmo@tiac.net>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Live

 Yo,

         I was blundering through some on-line CD stores the other day, an
 lo and behold, I see something called "Ben Folds Five Live" at
 http://www.musicbyemail.com. I don't have a clue what it is, only that it
 was released in Germany. My wallet can't handle the $30 price tag, but I
 thought some of you all might like to know about this boot and tell me if
 it's worth it or not once you get it.
         love and cheeses,

                                 opus

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 20:17:05 -0400
 From: Benjamin M Gramig <gramfam@thepoint.net>
 Subject: RE: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #92

 regarding this message from bf5Digest#92:

 > Now here's my suggestion:
  >              GIRLFRIEND -- Matthew Sweet
  >Does anyone second the notion?

 i'm a bf5 fan who totally loves matt sweet and girlfriend just happens to
 be my favorite ms song!!

 i hadn't ever thought about bf5 doing a matt sweet cover, but the notion
 is a good one.

 i wonder if any of the band members are fans?!?!?

 yours forever in music,
 BMG

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 20:51:37 -0400 (EDT)
 From: pprociss <pprociss@tir.com>
 Subject: bf5

         Will Ben Folds Five ever come to MIchigan? I'm thinking no.
        Whomeeve suggested bf5 covering Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend", that is
 an excellent idea!! I think with all these suggested cover tunes someone
 should give the suggestons to the band eh?

 shannon
 "If i had a million dollars..some son of a bitch would die"

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 21:07:55 -0400
 From: Fingerjazz@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #91

 Hi,

 I first heard BF5 sometime last November.  They played "Summer B."  on Album
 88 here in Atlanta.  It was a coincidence because I had just read a positive
 review about them in The Creative Loafing.  I asked for their album as a
 Christmas present, but nobody had heard about them, so I fished it out of
 Blockbuster Music. Then, about a month later, they start playing
 "Underground" on 99x.

 I saw their concert at the Roxy on Freaknik weekend.  Great show.  They
 played "Video Killed the Radio Star," they improvised a Freaknik song in
 which Ben sings "I don't know what the f--- Freaknik is,"  Ben took a picture
 of the crowd, they mooned the audience after being requested for an encore,
 and they played all their usual great stuff.  After the show, they came out
 and talked to us.  I think they had some time to kill before going to the U.
 K.

 So they're going to release "Summer B.??"  Or is that just in Great Britain?
  Someone fill me in please.  I still don't have MTV.  I hope they do it.
  Great song.  So who is Summer B?  Is she still Darren's girlfriend?  Is she
 doing well?

 Daniel "Fingerjazz" Padron  (http://members.aol.com/fingerjazz/daniel.html)

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 22:01:27 -0400
 From: Andrea Merrifield <hapfield@commdesign.com>
 Subject: BFF : COVERS

 Hey gize ,
         I second Bethany's notion for a Matthew Sweet cover , although
 maybe not GIRLFRIEND i wuz thinking more along the lines of THE UGLY TRUTH
 or NOT WHEN I NEED IT. just a thought. I'd also like to see them cover
 Suddenly Tammy , they're a great band or maybe Dave Matthew's Band (that
 would be fun to hear). anyhoo , keep up the good work :)
                                                                 SPOT

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 22:01:31 -0400
 From: Andrea Merrifield <hapfield@commdesign.com>
 Subject: ? 4 BFF

 hey Joe ,
                 heres a question 4 the boyz...... "did you expect to be
 exepted? or did you just say , like , to hell with it i'm gonna do what i
 damn well please and have some fun" ok that's all.....

 thanx

 SPOT

 Date: 2 Jun 1996 21:15:18 CST
 From: rosaliem@bbs.exoticomm.com
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #92

 I wanted to "second" someone's suggestion that BF5 cover "Crocodile
 Rock." Can't you just hear it? That is so great!

 I don't know what to vote on for the "official chant"...I'm just worried
 about getting to see them in concert at all! :)

 Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 22:11:18 CDT
 From: binky@clubhouse.email.net
 Subject: That whole silly cover tune thing...

    Hate to be a downer folks, but this whole cover song suggestion thing
 seems to be mostly besides the point. This is a band with great songs built
 in. Covers just take stage time away from great *new* songs the band could be
 performing. Why would you want great songwriters to do the songs of others?
 Am I wrong in pointing out that some of the weakest tunes the Beatles ever
 recorded were not written by them? (Twist and Shout? Neat, but ultimately
 pointless.) I say screw the covers (or keep them for a smart-aleck encore...
 after the *real* tunes are done) and scream for *new* tunes. Irony is a great
 thing, though. Straight covers just wouldn't cut it with these guys...

 Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 08:46 -0400 (EDT)
 From: armbr003@mc.duke.edu
 Subject: Re: Frank vs. Satan Controversy

      My vote for "list chant" would be a compromise: "Satan....is my
      maynard".  If this isn't obscure enough, I don't know what is.

      -Mitch

    [As long as you don't holler "Maynard is my Satan". -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:46:48 +0100 (BST)
 From: Stanford Chiou <stanford.chiou@university-college.oxford.ac.uk>

 No no no no no no no.  Why hasn't anyone mentioned "The Logical Song" by
 Supertramp?  It seems kind of like an obvious cover.  The ultimate song
 for bf5 to cover entered my mind a couple of days ago, but now it's
 slipped it.  I'll tell you when I remember.

 Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:58:08 +0100 (BST)
 From: D W Logan <bs5dwl@bath.ac.uk>
 Subject: British Press Coverage

 Mark Piper wrote:

 >  Where was this? I didn't read this. Possibly let me know. I know
 >  they were in the "New" section, and also in the News. Anywhere else?
 >  BF5 can also be found in this weeks Melody Maker with what I can only
 >  assume to be a very flattering live report (only, like, three weeks
 >  after is happened......) from the Splash Club.

 BFF were also mentioned in the Indie chart section. And there is an
 article on them in "Q" magazine in the "NEW TO Q" section. There is a lot
 of interesting quotes from Ben. Well worth a look. If anybody wants it i
 could post a transcript personally or to the list.

 The cover of Where's Summer B is very minimalist. It is yellow with the
 piano motif and heart in a whilte line drawing over it - it is released on
 Monday 10th June. (God, i'm sad - describing the cover of the next
 single!)

 BTW, what is all this Bare Naked Ladies business about? The seem to be
 very popular among american BFF fans. Sould i be seeking them out for a
 listen?

 Darren.

 Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:45:01 +0100 (BST)
 From: Stanford Chiou <stanford.chiou@university-college.oxford.ac.uk>

 >  D W Logan (bs5dwl@bath.ac.uk) wrote:
 >
 >  > Also reported is that BFF will be returning to Britain at the end of June
 >  > to play a few more dates and that the album has jumped from 23 to 9 in the
 >  > British indie charts. Good News.
 >
 >  Where was this? I didn't read this. Possibly let me know. I know
 >  they were in the "New" section, and also in the News. Anywhere else?
 >  BF5 can also be found in this weeks Melody Maker with what I can only
 >  assume to be a very flattering live report (only, like, three weeks
 >  after is happened......) from the Splash Club.

 Yeah, where'd you hear about this?  I'd love to see them again.

 Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 14:13:43 -0400
 From: MHellhound@aol.com

 BFF combines the best of Billy Joel, Elton John and Joe Jackson.  And
 franklly it's a big relief to hear new music that has respect for what came
 before, has interesting lyrics, isn't guitar-based, and isn't about being
 angry and sloppy all the time.

 I first heard the band when I was working for a personal management
 company/small record label in Hollywood - our A&R people were trying to sign
 them, we were a sub-label of MCA.  I got into them because I heard their CD
 being dubbed a million times to send out to various people!

 I used to be able to get the national radio tracking reports and was glad
 when BFF got airplay.

 Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 14:15:43 -0400
 From: Tocadisco@aol.com
 Subject: Tchakovsky (wish i could spell) and "Maaaaay-nard"

 >  Been a while since I last posted so I thought I'd include myuself in
 > some conversation.  To repeat what someone said, sorry Frank, but I love
 > the "Marco Polo" idea with "Maaaaay-nard"  "Fraaaank".  sorry, dude,
 > you've become a cult fave! Also, it's been said many a time that Ben
 > samples some Tchakovsky (wish i could spell) on "philosphy".  What does he
 > sample and where on the song is it? I'd like to compare it to my new
 > Tchakovski disc.  'til we meet again.

 I'm not 100% sure but I think Ben samples Gershwin, not Tchaikovsky (wish I
 could spell it also).  In the Philsophy piano solo, Ben plays a chopsticks
 version of Rhapsody In Blue.
 As for the slogan controversy that I unwittedly started, I personally think
 that Maynard is better than Satan, yet I'm not exactly sure that's the best
 idea either.  We should respect Frank's wishes, if he doesn't want his name
 shouted at every BFF concert than we shouldn't shout it.  Let's try to get
 some more ideas posted on this list so that I can hold a vote on what the
 call should be.

    [Thank you. -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 15:47:23 -0700
 From: Phipps Conservatory Development <development@phipps.pgh.pa.us>
 Subject: pittsburgh date

 I just called graffiti, and they said that the pittsburgh show date is
 thursday, not wednesday.  Just thought you'd like to know this to update
 the list.

 Stacie Slotnick
 sesst38@pitt.edu

    [This seems to be confirmed by what Adam sent in above so I've changed
 the tour dates page. -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 03 Jun 96 17:00:08 -0500
 From: Louie Nash <purplebo@Onramp.NET>
 Subject: BFF newsletter

 Hate to disappoint whoever it was that wrote in about the Tchaikovsky
 samples on "Philosophy," but I believe that whoever told you about that
 was referring to the samples of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" towards the
 end of the song. It's the big loud pian o fill/solo. I'm sorry I can't
 tell you the exact spot, the CD's in my car. But anyway, that's a definite
 sample. If you've ever listened to "Rhapsody in Blue" you'll pick it up
 right away. And FYI there's a piece of the Doobie Brothers' "It Keeps You
 Run nin" in BFF's "The Last Polka." It's in a couple of the bridges. I
 don't know if it's intentional or not, but it sounds pretty cool.

 I also wanna put in another vote for the "Maynard" call. I just hope that
 there are other people in Dallas, TX who have heard of BFF. About five of
 my friends are big BFF fans. With the exception of ourselves, we don't
 know anyone else who has heard of th em. And I've NEVER heard it on the
 radio. Of course, the radio stations here are trying to make Dallas the
 next Seattle, so we get too much local garbage for them to make room for
 BFF. I think I'll move to Rhode Island where apparently it seems like
 radio stations have some taste.

 And how about a cover of the Beatles "Revolution"? I can just hear the
 back up shooby-doo-wops now.

 Bo
 purplebo@onramp.net

 Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 01:40:15 -0700
 From: Andrew Wright <wrighta@caedm.et.byu.edu>
 Subject: Posters and Chants

 Here's a bit of info perhaps.

 I know of the picture that was seen on a UK 7".  I have the same picture of
 Ben diving shoulder first into the piano hanging in the form of a poster on
 my living room wall, as well as a few other copies of the poster in my
 room.  A friend of mine got them directly from Caroline Records (as I
 recall), as a promotional effort because at the time he operated a record
 store.  Perhaps someone could write to Caroline for such goods.  It is a
 cool poster and worth the effort.

 Also, since it is apparent that Ben is endorsed by Converse, maybe the tiny
 shoe on Ben's mike in the Uncle Walter video somehow relates to this
 arrangement.  Perhaps as part of Ben's good humor. I don't recall what the
 shoe looked like.  Just speculation.  What do you think?

 Also, I love the idea of chanting  MAAY-NARD, responded to with FRAANK.
 Very distinguishable and clever.  It's definitely what I will be doing at
 any BF5 shows.  The call and response allows you to know that the inside
 joke is connecting or not.  Kudos.

 Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:07:47 +0100
 From: John Allison <JOA95JWA@sheffield.ac.uk>
 Subject: BFF: Goddamn Gotta Be Big!

 I'm new to this list so please, forgive any gross repetition of what
 has gone before...I mean no harm!

 Its brilliant at the moment how BFF are getting only positive reviews
 here in england, it sort of vindicates my trawl around the smellier
 record shops of Sheffield on the day it came out.   I've yet to find
 anybody who doesn't like them either, which is very surreal.

 Does anybody know if they have plans for a proper UK tour, as in, not
 just ruddy London!  I hear they're moderately okay live :-)))

 Ben says he's frightened of turning into Billy Joel with his songs, I
 think they should cover 'We Didn't Start The Fire', it had about
 three hundred different instruments on it and BF widdles all over
 Billy anyway.

 Gotta skeedaddle
 JOHN ALLISON

 "It gets on my ne-e-e-e-e-rves"
                     -Our Man Neil

     [Another cover idea: How about "Punk Rock Girl" by the Dead Milkmen?
 It could be done in much the same style as Julianne, about twice as fast
 as the original, with Darren and Robert shouting "punk rock girl" in the
 chorus. It's good because it's short and can be jammed in between songs
 in a set.
      Also at the Barenaked Ladies store show the other day, someone
 inevitably shouted out "Free Bird", which reminded me of what Ben said:
 When someone shouts Free Bird, just play it. That will shut them up. -fjm]

                             Hand me my nose ring