 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:57:06 -0400
 From: Benjamin M Gramig <gramfam@thepoint.net>
 Subject: memphis show!!

 i was planning on going to memphis to catch the show scheduled for
 saturday night the 8th, but i was told the show got cancelled!!

 totally pissed it was my only opportunity to see bf5 this summer-- i can't
 shell out $40 to see them at Lollapalooza!!

 anyone have any idea why the show has been cancelled??
 anyone form memphis on the list know anything??
 anybody else planning on going to the show??

 utterly disappointed and hurt,
 BMG

   [According to the info I have, it has been postponed, rather than
 cancelled, although there is no info as to when it might be rescheduled.
 So hang in there. -fjm]

 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 08:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Pete Butler <pete@supernet.net>
 Subject: BF5/ oops

 Ooops!

 My humble apology.  I incorrectly reported that the song BF5 opened with
 in Gainesville was the song from "The truth about Cats and Dogs."
 Sorry...I got bad info on that one.  I stand corrected...Liz Phair cover
 indeed.

 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:02:20 GMT
 From: Paul Teeple <bteeple@cyberdrive.net>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five covers, MTV's slow server

 hey guys, you all remember me, I run that wacky page at
 www.cyberdrive.net/~bteeple/benfolds.htm
 but soon that's all gonna be overhauled, and I'll keep yas updated, I just
 need to find a good background and a graphic to make a good imagemap with.

 OK here are some covers I'd love to see these guys do,

 Primus- Southbound Pachyderm (a lot of bass)
 The Verve Pipe- Photograph
 Smashing Pumpkins- 1979
 Anything by The Cure
 Candlebox- You
 OR
 Spacehog- In the Meantime (I'm partial to that cause I run their webpage)

 Has anybody else had problems with eMpTyV's server? because I have a 28.8
 modem, and when I tried to download the video clip for Uncle Walter
 (here.mtv.com/video/clips/b/ben.folds.5/uncle.mov) and the fastest it
 transferring the file is 0.5 Kb per second, and usually it only gets about
 47% done and then my server gives up on it.  If you can either tell me if
 that's happening to you, so I can tell if it's just my server, or if you
 know anywhere else I could find the clip for Uncle Walter, I would be grateful.

 -Paul
 -http://www.cyberdrive.net/~bteeple/benfolds.htm
 -http://www.cyberdrive.net/~bteeple/Spacehog/
              "She said Zero, Zero, Zero, Zero, Zero"

 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 08:40:24 -0400
 From: Seaforest@aol.com
 Subject: Hava Nagila?

 Hi Everyone.

   I'm de-lurking for a few moments to ask who the song "Hava Nagila" is by.
  A few people mentioned that the guys were covering it at the last few shows
 and I got kind of curious.  Thanks.

 -chris

 Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 10:56:32 -0400
 From: "Brian R. Kessler" <bkessler@btv.ibm.com>
 Subject: Barenaked Ladies...

 >    Thanks for the overview on BNL. I've heard them described as "joke
 > folk" as well. There's a WWW page at:
 >  http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~ludw1080/WWW.Barenaked/BareNaked.html
 >  and a mailing list as well.

 You are so modest, Frank.  I hereby expose you as

   "The King of Bedside Manor":  The founder of the Barenaked Ladies mailing
                                 list.

 Peace, skiing, & music,
 Brian

 --
 "Never seem to get far enough / Staying in between the lines..." - Son Volt
 --------

    [Not so fast, Brian. I can't take credit for that.  I am one of the
 charter residents of Bedside Manor, but the founder of that list is
 another Frank, Frank Novacek in New York City. (To differentiate us, Frank
 N. has dubbed me "TV's Frank" since I work in television. As with this
 list and many others, it got going after a few folks from Usenet and other
 lists started talking about the band with each other via e-mail. -fjm]

 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:57:37 -0400
 From: BNDVDSN@aol.com
 Subject: bf5 covers

 This is my first time to post, but I have been reading the digest for a
 couple of weeks. I agree with whoever said it that Girlfriend would be
 awesome, so woulod Echoes Myron by Guided by Voices, but i am convinced that
 the ultimate cover would be the national anthem in a Hendrix at Woodstock
 type manner. Watching Ben go crazy with that one would be incredible. Hearing
 all the talk about BF5 live is an incredible tease since I can't see them.
 They are coming to my home town of Birmingham AL, and although rumors said it
 was at our music festival called City Stages, it is actually at a club and it
 is 18 and up. Since there is no way I can pass, I will just have to listen to
 everyone rant and rave about how awesome they are live. That is unless
 someone would be willing to trade boots. I do not have any BF5 shows, but i
 have some other shows with other good bands. If anyone is interested, please
 either post here or e-mail me at BNDVDSN@aol.com.
                                               Ben Davidson

 Date: Fri, 07 Jun 96 14:53:03
 From: bminnick@locrscs.CMIC.STATE.PA.US
 Subject: "Ben Folds Live" Catalog #

 I obtained a catalog number for the "live" BF5 cd that was mentioned a
 couple issues back. It is, according to my source, ALTEO845260.
 Unfortunately, I have had no luck in finding a copy for myself, so if
 anyone knows where I can get a copy, I'd appreciate it if you'd email me
 with the info. Thanks!

 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:56:33 -0400
 From: Freakboy69@aol.com
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Digest, Issue #95

 I really want to see BFF in Cincy but I don't know how to get to the club
 they're playing in.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

 FB69

 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 18:17:06 -0400 (EDT)
 From: allison <allison@servtech.com>
 Subject: t-shirts, BNL, yadda yadda yadda

 hi guys!  well here's my story - in art class, i had to decide on a design
 to screen print, and i decided to do BF5 t-shirts!  they turned out looking
 pretty awesome, imo, and i was wondering if anyone else wanted one...  i
 know someone posted before about making t-shirts (we must have read each
 other's minds!), but i just wanted one because they haven't come around NY
 yet that i've been able to see them, and i needed a shirt to show my
 loyalty!  so anyway, if anyone else was in my predicament and wants a shirt
 (it says "ben folds five" on the top like it does on the cd, and has the
 stick piano underneath it), mail me and we can make arrangements...  i'm
 hoping this is okay legally (i'll probably only make like 10, not a big
 deal)- on the BNL mailing list, we're making t-shirts, and i talked to steve
 (lead singer) and he said that was fine, and nobody would care - i hope ben
 feels the same way!  (maybe i'll send the guys one).  so whoever is
 interested, let me know.

 on the subject of chants, i'm not sure if it's just me, but we may come up
 with the most perfect chant, but i personally will feel like a jerk just
 screaming something out at a concert...  this is just me, though...  i'd
 LOVE to find a way to identify other computer people...  for the BNL
 mailing list, a long time ago i proposed that we wear macaroni necklaces
 (like you made when you were a kid) because it has some BNL significance,
 and now it's a pretty standard thing to see atleast a few necklaces at
 concerts - the guys in the band even know what it means and stuff...  so
 maybe something other than a chant...  (boy, i sure am a jerk for
 proposing this now...  sorry!)

 also, i don't think anyone else has mentioned this here regarding barenaked
 ladies - on their latest tour, they have been playing the BF5 cd before they
 come on, it's great!  i know a few people have converted by just hearing it
 then - NOBODY can hear them without loving them!

 :)
 al

 Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:55:12 -0400
 From: Hotdoglove@aol.com
 Subject: Alanis...

 Now folks, this is JUST a rumor I heard from someone, but is it true that BFF
 is going to be touring with (gulp) Alanis Morrisette?  I heard that they were
 going to open for her in Atlanta at the Chastian place, but it's not
 confirmed, and I was wondering if anyone (especially the guy at Caroline
 records) knew anything about this rumor.

 Things to shout:
 "Swamp witch!"
 "Nice face...you wish"
 "Buckle up mortal"
 These are all lines from some of my favorite Kids In The Hall sketches.  They
 were just thrown off the top of my head...

 Sara

 Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 18:33:28 -0400
 From: Shan111111@aol.com
 Subject: covers

 >I say screw the covers (or keep them for a smart-aleck encore...
 > after the *real* tunes are done) and scream for *new* tunes. Irony is a
 >great
 > thing, though. Straight covers just wouldn't cut it with these guys...

 Have you heard them perform any of the covers they are doing now?  I do
 agree that BF5 has great material on their own, but the covers add even
 more fun to the shows.  They covers at the shows are usually reserved for
 encores, I would assume, so let us have our fun!  I agree with Matthew
 Sweet covers, I love MS so any song will do :) btw....I saw the Presidents
 of the USA do a cover of Video Killed The Radio Star......the BF5 version
 wss MUCH better!

 shan

 Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 13:03:55 -0400
 From: Shan111111@aol.com
 Subject: Another interview

 I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but I ran across another BF5
 interview.  It is in a zine callled You Could Do Worse.  Not a really long
 interview, but that's OK.  Good review of the album.  The e-mail address is
 YCDWorse@aol.com  and it's issue #6 Spring/Summer 1996.  Anyway, check it out
 if you get a chance.

 btw...I like the idea of the frank....maynard chant idea.  I dislike the
 satan thing.  More ideas wouldn't hurt :)

 shan

 Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:05:27 -0400
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BF5: No karaoke in NC?

 (Sorry for a post that is barely on-topic, but I have to warn everyone who
 was planning on coming to our show...)

 To everyone who was planning on coming to see my band (King Cheese) play at
 The Grove in Raleigh NC this Thursday (6-13) where I promised we would do
 some BF5 karaoke on request:  THE CLUB CLOSED DOWN!  Four days before we were
 supposed to play there, The Grove is closed!  Sorry. :-(

 So, can anyone in the Raleigh area help us get a gig for Thursday night?
  We're also free in Nashville on Wednesday.  (I didn't mind not playing in
 Nashville since we were planning to play in Raleigh, but now that the Raleigh
 show has been canceled, I don't want to be stuck BOTH nights without a gig.)
  Send me an email if you need more info on my band.  I'll be checking my
 email while I'm on the road.  Good news is that we ARE still playing at White
 Water Tavern in Little Rock on Tue 6-11 at 8:00, and at The Underground in
 Birmingham AL at 10:30.

 In other news, it looks like the Lollapalooza show in Bryan TX on 7-25 (where
 BF5 was supposed to play) has been canceled.  The show date is no longer
 listed on the Lollapalooza site.  I sent them an email asking for
 clarification, but I haven't heard back from them.  I called the 800#, but
 the operators were clueless.

 -- Michael Bluejay  (Austin, TX)

 Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:40:39 -0400
 From: Kymberleyh@aol.com
 Subject: i think this is my first post in here...

 > Does anybody know
 > the title of the song which has the "Chopsticks"-like piano backing to it?

 wouldn't that be by liz phair?  they opened up with that in dc.

 as for my choice for a cover i think maybe i would like to hear a jellyfish
 or redd kross song.  i havent decided which songs yet..i'll ponder it some
 more

 kym

    [Well, here I was all set to have a contest, as previously suggested,
 to guess when the list membership hits 500, and checking tonight after
 adding the most recent requests it is actually at 501! So I'll have to
 think of something else.  Rest assured though, we'll have voting on the
 list name real soon, and there will be prizes involved, so stay tuned. -fjm]

                 Bearing teardrops that shatter in slow-motion