 Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 03:21:28 -0400
 From: Rahoolio@aol.com
 Subject: Punk Rock For Sissies: Further explorations

 I don't expect this to set of the firestorm of genuflection that the mere
 mention of Jellyfish once did, but I'd feel remiss in my duties as a BF5 fan
 if I didn't make mention of another piece of clever, catchy, and joyfully
 nerdy product out there that Armchair subscribers might appreciate.  There's
 this guy named Dylan Hicks, whose debut album "Won" features winsome tunes
 like "I Just Want You To Like Me," "You Make a Much Better Door," and "Don't
 Worry (Everything Will Turn Out Bad)" in a rollicking grab-bag of styles
 ranging from loungy to folky to mock-Springsteenesque.  I don't know how easy
 it would be to find in your average store--not very, I suspect--but I think
 most indie stores worth their salt probably received at least a promo copy.
  (Mine did.)  Bug the clerk to dig it up, listen to it, and maybe you'll want
 to order one of your own.  Hey, it's gotten ME through these long months
 waiting for Ben's major-label debut.  Anyway, I'd better go before y'all
 start wondering if maybe I'M Dylan Hicks...well, I'm not.  I'm Tori Amos...

 Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:26:49 -0800
 From: JGRIFFITH@JUNGLE.POMONA.EDU
 Subject: Uncle Walter and John S: Why MTV plays snippets

 Hi everybody!

 This is my first post to the Magical Arm Chair (but not similar
 groups...I was an old grandfather on the early Blues Traveler and
 Dave Matthews lists...)

 I wanted to write back because what someone said about MTV.  The
 reason that cool music gets played in the MTV seque background at all
 is because some shirt at MTV likes BFF and suggests/insists that it
 get played.  Often times it results in that band becoming a buzz
 clip.  Not always of course, but sometimes.  Bands that currently get
 played a lot in transition (or at least occassionally) include Self,
 The Wrens, BFF, etc...

 So it really isnt the brilliance of MTV that gets music we like on
 the air, but ratherthe subversive insistence of a few interns, etc.
 A good story eh? Guerilla warfare at MTV makes things interesting.

 A little personal note/plug.  I am a dean of admissons at Pomona
 College in LA (which means yes I dont get to see BFF all that often).
  I am also executive editor of an online music magazine called Jam!
 I am hoping to have a album review of the most recent album and
 interview with BF in the October  issue.... If anyone has suggestions
 for questions please let me know!

 Thanks,

 --JT Griffith

 p.s.  The address for the magazine is WWW.Jam-online.com

 Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:40:03 -0400
 From: ZDarrah106@aol.com
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #135

 I hope they dont play BFF on MTV...they ruined enough bands with their petty
 production methods...they have the tendency to label bands in their own
 little way and it ends up the complete opposite of what the band and the fans
 expect from the wholeness and true nature of music...people, kill your
 television...it's a mindless distraction...sorry for venting...zach

 Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:35:18 -0400
 From: DMedsker@aol.com
 Subject: Another Recruit

 Just a quick note. I run a tape chain in the Trash Can Sinatras list, and
 this is what one of the members had to say about my tape:

 >>I liked your tape a lot.  I have to say that it's not the usual stuff I
 listen to.  A bit more...rhythmic than I like.  I have, however, noticed
 that it makes EXCELLENT driving music.  The tape has been in my car the
 entire time I've had it.  I do really like the Moev tune.  I also really
 like the ones by Pulp, Ride, Godley and Creme (?), and Ben Folds Five
 (this one was particularly cool). <<

 I gave him The Last Polka.

 Spreading the gospel one person at a time,

 David M

 Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 13:18:26 -0500
 From: DAN FRANKE <deerlick@execpc.com>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #130

 > P.S.  As for that "sign of the devil" thing, I don't think that was the right
 > words...I don't remember what it's actually called.

 I think it is called the sign of the devil...or the international heavy
 metal symbol for "You Guys Rock!...dude.  (made popular by bands such as
 Ozzy's Black Sabath back in the 70's)  You make a fist in the air and then
 extend your index finger + pinky while pumping your arm to the rockin'
 rhythms while blurting out catch phrases like "You Rawk" or "Yeah!".

 > I have to agree with Robert Kochman's take on hearing BFF do a cover of "Lady
 > Madonna." I'd like to hear a very different song
 > covered:  "ABC" by the Jackson 5.

 Two great songs.  I'd like to add the Badfinger song "Without You" only
 because there has been soooooo many bad covers of this song...BF5 could do
 it real justice.  Plus they could do a little U2 type intro ..."This next
 song Parriah Carrey stole from Badfinger...and now we're gonna steal it back"

 Dan

 "I was cool in school...Still am...sorry"

 Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 13:50:49 -0500
 From: DAN FRANKE <deerlick@execpc.com>
 Subject: PoBF5

 >    [Party of Ben Folds Five: I was wondering if anyone would notice!
 > Guess we have more than a few Fivers on the list.

 I too love the show.  Now here is my really lame linkage to BF5.  The
 BoDeans play the theme song for Po5 and Sammy BoDean hangs out @ the same
 bar as I do... and my friends The Wooldridge Bros had *two* songs on the
 show last season "Star of Desire" + another one that I can't think of the
 title right now...because I'm @ work and it's Saturday of Labor Day
 weekend...and I don't have a computer @ home...and I can rarely get on this
 computer for just the fun of it.  Which leads to my appology about repling
 to post that are dated by the time I get to them.  (ie. The Devil Sign thing
 that had already been answered in a later post that I hadn't gotten to yet.)

 ps. Wouldn't it be cool if BF5 covered Piano Man? :)

 Sorry
 Dan

 "I was cool in school...but not anymore...sorry"

 Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 14:08:27 -0500
 From: DAN FRANKE <deerlick@execpc.com>
 Subject: Tenuous Connections

 > Subject: Tenuous Connections and that other thing
 >
 > 	I just wanted to point that this discussion connections is
 > somewhat pointless after you realize that Chuck Folds, receives, received
 > or at least posts to this list.  Now if anyone has closer connections
 > than his brother, let us all know...

 I thought that the point was who had the *lamest* link to BF5.

 > Besides all this I would never bother to watch it because I go to the gigs
 of this >one guy, Wally Pleasant every Wednesday night...

 I've got three words for you ...V C R

 Post-Happy
 Dan

 "The music that you listen to is the soundtrack for your life"

 Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 23:01:53 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "Marc J. Trachtenberg" <mjt7742@is2.NYU.EDU>
 Subject: MTV Sighting

 Wednesday... 1:15 pm... MTV's Power Play or something like that with
 people doing pushups and exercise things... In the background....none
 other than a quick piano clip from "Uncle Walter."  I remember some kind
 of contest, and I'm wondering if I win anything... If not, that's still
 cool.

 Love,
 Marc

    [I'll close the Party of Five discussion, at least until if one or more
 of the band members do a guest appearance, with a note I received from
 Ken Topolsky, Co-Executive Producer of Party of Five. Ken said:

          Sorry but BFF won't appear on the soundtrack.  The album was
          locked before we used the song.  Anyway...

     Oh well, there's always Volume II! -fjm]

             And I dragged you up the stairs and I told you to fly