Issue #143 - September 30, 1996

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #143

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.

 IMPORTANT WEB PAGE NEWS:

    The Ben Folds Five web page has changed URLs slightly. The new URL is:

              http://oeonline.com/bff

    You no longer need to include "/~maynard" before /bff. Please adjust
your bookmarks accordingly.

    If you link to the old address, you'll get a reminder of the new
location and a link to it. If you find that any links don't work, please
e-mail me. I think I checked everything out, but something's bound to
fall between the cracks.

    The list archive, however, has not yet moved. It is still at

              http://oeonline.com/~maynard/bff/list/

    It's going to take some time to move 142 digests and all the
directories involved, but they should be moved over by the end of this
week.

Topics for Today:

      BF5 distortion
      Bootleg CD's
      built to spill...bff
      Re: Boots
      A common thread.
      I NEED SOME BOOTS!!
      I've seen a bootleg CD here in Japan
      attn Ed"van"Halen
      BFF

 Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 23:34:31 -0500 (CST)
 From: Ethan Book <eb10996@www.cedarnet.org>
 Subject: BF5 distortion

 Ethan Book, but you can call me Benny <eb10996@cedarnet.org> SMILE :)

 Does anyone know what kind of pedals they use on the bass.  Because I
 really love the sound they get and I want to do that too.  Also anyone
 with good copies of concerts please mail me.

 benny =)

 Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 00:37:55 -0400
 From: sgilmour@pgh.net
 Subject: Bootleg CD's

 on 9/27/96 Kate wrote:

  >hi all!
  >
  >      I'm hoping i'm not the bajillionth person to say this, but buying
  >bootleg CD's is a *really* bad idea.  It's a privilege when we are allowed
  >to tape and those who tape and make a profit from it are (a) stealing from
  >the artists, (b)making it so that we will eventually not be allowed to
  >tape, and (c) working up some wickedly bad karma.
  >       Thanks for reading!
  >

  > kate

 As a taper I have to agree with you 100%. You are correct, buying bootleg
 discs is a stupid thing to do. All it does is encourage those who make
 these things to make more of them. This just makes for more of a market
 for those kinds of idiots. As fans we need to avoid these things. There
 are plenty of people who are reliable traders who enjoy the practice of
 taping music for the pure enjoyment of spreading it around for free, I for
 one, am one of those people.  Now I haven't seen any "Bootleg" so to speak
 CD's around by BFF, and I don't tend to frequent those pseudo-record shows
 where they allow selling of live tapes. In fact, why isn't it against the
 law for those people to even set up their wares at record shows like that?
 I went to one a few years back and remember seeing all these live Dead
 tapes that someone was selling. I couldn't believe it. They were the
 ultimate free live tape band and here are people selling those shows for
 profit.

 When a band takes a stance to allow taping at shows they take a big risk
 that those tapes will make it to CD. But, if enough of the right people do
 it, then the music is made so readily available that there is not a need
 for someone to make CD's. Look at Phish. I don't think that they have too
 big a problem with people making CD's. Now I have seen some boot CD's at
 record stores, but who in their right mind would buy one when all of their
 shows are so freely traded?  Most of the time those CD's are worse than
 some of the 3 or even 4th generation tapes that I have heard. There's just
 no point to that whole process.

 Anyway, I said it before and I'll say it again. If you've taped a show and
 it's of decent quality, how's about making it available to the group.
 Let's do a tree and get the music around.

 --
 Later,
 Shaun

 Shaun Gilmour
 sgilmour@pgh.net

 Quote of the week "Shut up man...I've been in the music buisness for 25
 years and Andy here's gonna tell me what's gonna happen....I've gotta hear
 this!" Johnny Banana

 Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 01:09:50 -0500 (CDT)
 From: Nina <nlhays@bayou.uh.edu>
 Subject: built to spill...bff

 BFF covering BTS!!!!!!I must know what song...I must know where to find this
 gem!!!  Built to Spill is one of my all thime favorite bands....right up
 there with Ben Folds Five....  someone help me!!!!   aaahhhh....time to
 bring out the bts cds and think of what tune it could be.....I dont care
 which one all of them are great!

 cheers!
 nina

     [They have done "Twin Falls" at several shows. They've also said in
 interviews that BTS is one of their favorite bands to listen to in the
 Ryder driving between gigs. -fjm]

 Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 20:15:38 -0500
 From: DAN FRANKE <deerlick@execpc.com>
 Subject: Re: Boots

 > Subject: bootleg CD's
 > I'm hoping i'm not the bajillionth person to say this, but buying
 > bootleg CD's is a *really* bad idea.

 I'll have to disagree.  Although I'm not generally a fan of most of these
 inferior quality recordings, I still think that anyone who seeks them out
 already has the legit CD and is just a super fan.  These people are the same
 people who have friends who ask them "what's Cool" and generally do a lot of
 *free* promotion for a band.
 Just my viewpoint.
 Dan

 "The music that you listen to is the soundtrack for your life"

 Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:44:04 -0600
 From: Adam Meyer <admeyer@wolf.co.net>
 Subject: A common thread.

 I first heard Ben and his druges on the CMJ issue.  I was listening to
 underground,  And a the part past half way through when the distortion for
 the bass gets turned on, I can remember saying, "These guys are so
 unbelivably cool. My brain can not take much more.  Argh, this is the
 coolest song ever!  No, this song doesn't exist.  No one is this cool.
 What next, at the end of the song is Ben going to give the the chemical
 formula to cure cancer"  Since, I have made my music theory class listen to
 them, gotten a couple of my friends to buy the disc and buy CMJ regularly.
 That Issue had to be the best I have ever heard.  Any way, I also want a
 shirt, cap, unwashed leiterhousen with Ben Folds Five writen all over it.
 Any thing, I will wear it daily for at least two weeks with out washing.

 Willie

 Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 10:07:05 -0400 (EDT)
 From: aiaffal1@ic3.ithaca.edu
 Subject: I NEED SOME BOOTS!!

 Please!! Please!! If anyone has ANY boots of BFF, could you e-mail me. I
 got into them over the summer, and got the first album, but I want to
 hear more of their lesser known stuff.
 	Also, does anyone know if BFF is planning any sort of new release
 any time soon?

 							Peace,
 							Anthony Iaffaldano

 	"I feel like a quote of context..."

 		              -=AnThonY IaFfaLdaNo=-
 		           Corporate Communication Major

     [Currently recording; new album due out late next winter. -fjm]

 Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 01:35:00 +0900
 From: <LDX00567@niftyserve.or.jp>
 Subject: I've seen a bootleg CD here in Japan

 Hello!

 I'm a Ben Folds Five fan in Japan.

 The other day,I saw a bootleg CD of them,titled "There's Spring Of Myself"
 at a Japanese underground shop.

 The cover says it contains 2/26/96 Tokyo show. As I haven't got it,I don't
 know its sound quality,running time and so on.This may be a
 Japanese,anyway.

 By the way,I saw their show on 3/1/96 at Tokyo.It was Really great-- Ben
 holds a guitar(!) with a long-haired wig after the last song of their
 encore["Video killed the radio star"],then he crashed it! And he throwed
 the crashed guitar and wig to audience saying "See You Next Time" It was a
 very nice experience of me.

 --
 Toru Oomura(LDX00567@niftyserve.or.jp)

 Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:39:47 -0400
 From: sgilmour@pgh.net
 Subject: attn Ed"van"Halen

 Would the person on this list who calls himself Edward "van" Halen please
 get in touch with me.  The address that you used as your "reply to" e-mail
 address doesn't work. At least the one you sent ME didn't work. Please get
 in touch with me so we can exchange lists.

 --
 Later,
 Shaun

 Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 23:56:32 -0600
 From: Steven Sparapani <s-sparapani@nwu.edu>
 Subject: BFF

 	I am a fan of the band and have been for quite a while.  I'm
 interested as to whether the album is somewhat of a "concept" album or
 whether it is a bunch of isolated songs.  If possible please post yours and
 others ideas.
 					Every night is my last night out,

 --
 Steven Sparapani
 Northwestern University

   [From the alt.fan.liz-phair newsgroup, this quote:

 Yes, Liz Phair is too classy for Lollapalooza. Then again, so was Ben
 Folds Five this year. But it was my only chance to see them so I guess it
 was worth it.

    Remember the new web page URL! -fjm]

             There goes Joe Caparo again with Darren's girlfriend