 Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:24:32 -0600
 From: Adam Metz <ajmetz@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: new Built To Spill - "Perfect From Now On"

 Since I'm a fancy-shmancy music writer for the Badger Herald, I snatched the
 copy of the new Built To Spill disc of the editor's desk as soon as it came
 in.  I bet Ben F***in' Folds doesn't even own this one yet.  It's quite a
 bit mellower than their previous releases.

 Lots of cellos and emo-type guitars make it kinda like an indie-rock-wimp
 version of Mazzy Star.  I'm not sure whether I like it yet, but I love their
 first two albums.  Hmmm.  I'll post a review soon enough..  Give me a few days.

 -->A.J. Metz

 Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 03:30:21 -0500
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: Playing by ear

 >> And then loud bloke
 >> shouts "Can you play the theme tune of Jonny
 >>  Briggs?" which is a well-known british kids show. Ben asks how it goes
 >> and loud bloke shouts/sings it. Ben instantly, I mean instantly, plays it
 >> back perfect, note for note! Half the crowd fainted at this point.

 >What a guy, I am soooooooooooooooo  excited now.

 Come on, people, this is NOT that hard!  Playing that bit at the end of
 "Uncle Walter", now THAT's hard.  Heck, my band will play entire SONGS we've
 never played before when people request them during a show.

 But, now that I see how impressed you all are by melody parroting, maybe I
 should buy a Melodica and solicit the audience members to hum unfamiliar TV
 show tunes. :-)

 -- Michael Bluejay  (Austin, TX)

 Date: 23 Nov 1996 13:23:00 +0100
 From: Daniel Rodrigues Parreira <parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl>
 Subject: Re: A Plea for Tour Dates

 Jed Gilchrist <jed@keck.whittier.edu> wrote:

 >  I too, would love to see Ben Folds and crew hit the states once again.

 Now that we Europeans have had BF5 for a couple of weeks I think you can
 have them back for a while. :)))

 But please return them when they'll promote the new album! :+)

           _        _           _
  _       | \      |_)         |_)             parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl
 (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira          parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl
                                                         parreira@tmbg.org
 amsterdam, the netherlands, europe

 Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 16:34:52 +0000
 From: K.J.Smailes@durham.ac.uk
 Subject: first try

 hi, this is the first one of these i've written so i'm not sure how to
 start.  first of all to chris, the song that goes "give me my money
 back" is called "song for the dumped", bff played it at the reading
 festival in august.  does anyone know if it'll be out before the album
 comes out or if it'll be on the album, as it was a bit of an anthem for
 that weekend for my friend and i.  i don't know if anyone has written
 about reading before on here, but it is one of the major uk festivals
 and holds about 50-60,000 people.  bff played saturday afternoon to a
 packed tent, which was unusual given their starting time of 2.30pm and
 the relatively small amount of attention they'd received in the press.
 it was a brilliant show and the crowd cheered for ages at the end, even
 going round to the side of the stage to wave at the band through the
 wire fencing.  they were the band of the weekend for me, better than the
 stone roses (not difficult, admittedly, they were very out of tune),
 garbage, prodigy, gene etc etc.  i'd been looking forward to the show as
 i worked in a record shop and we played the album all the time.  we were
 sponsoring the festival too, so at one point there was a rumour that bff
 would play in the shop, sadly it never happened (we got rocket from the
 crypt instead).
 	to anyone who got to see bff this time round, i am SO jealous of you!
 they are playing on my birthday in london, which would be cool if i was
 at home (reading) but as i am at uni in durham (about 350-400 miles away
 for those not familiar with british geography) it's not possible.  does
 anyone know if they are coming back next year?
 	anyway, i'd better finish it for now,
 		love from katherine (new girl)
 my address is k.j.smailes@durham.ac.uk if you have the answers to any of
 my questions or if you want to write about bff related stuff.

 Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:56:38 -0500
 From: RnRinDC@aol.com
 Subject: BFF & Alagia & Derryberry?

 I saw an ad in Friday's Washington Post weekend section for a John
 Alagia/Doug Derryberry show.  For those of you who are not familiar with
 Alagia/Derryberry, they are fairly big names in the local (mid Atlantic)
 music scene.  In addition to being in several local bands together, they
 produced Dave Matthews Band's first album (Remember Two Things) and have
 worked with Hootie & the Blowfish among others.  The ad for their January
 shows says something about "when they are not working with DMB, Hootie, & Ben
 Folds......".

 So here is the question - what work has Ben Folds or BFF done with Alagia &
 Derryberry? Are Alagia and Derryberry producing the upcoming Sony release?
 Frank, do you know how they are related?

 Any info would be great.....Thx!

 Rich

 Date: Sat, 23 Nov 96 17:02:16 -0000
 From: Charles D Folds <4rachuck@concentric.net>
 Subject: Snuzz/Bus Stop

 >For those of you who don't know Bus Stop, if you can find any of
 > their CD's, BUY THEM!! They are great.  I kept hoping they could stay
 > together long enough to maybe ride Ben's coattails to success, but
 > alas.
 Thank you very much, John!!!!
 We will continue with a new project called 'Snuzz' which is the name of
 the guitar player in Bus Stop. Ben just happens to be a big fan of Snuzz
 (and in fact, Ben played drums and piano on some of Snuzz's early
 recordings, dont know if there are any around or not) so I hope that BF5
 fans will check it out. We wont be playing out live til the beginning of
 the year and I will be pestering Ben to let us open for him.
 >(See ya' at the Brewery, Chuck!!)
 I hope you came out last night, I believe it was a good show.
 And thanks again for the nice words.
 see ya
 chuck

 oh yeah, just to toss in my 2 cents on the band list, everyone must check
 out Nil Lara from Miami.

 Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 14:36:04 +0000
 From: Darren / Tara <scuzz@globalnet.co.uk>
 Subject: Diggin' The Diggers

 > Sorry for the non-BF5 content;I'll keep it brief. I've seen numerous
 > comparisons of Ben's music to both Jellyfish and Built To Spill, and am
 > interested in checking out both bands. But I don't know which CD's to buy.
 > Can anyone recommend their choice for best album from either of these?
 > Rod

 Rod, I love Jellyfish (and Imperial Drag!)... it's hard to decide between
 Bellybutton and Spilt Milk though, so I'd have to recommend that you buy
 them both!

 > I really disagree with you. I went to the gig thinking "Oh well, another new
 > Creation band that'll go away after 2 records", but I was wrong. these guys
 > can really play and sing. And they could REALLY sing. The 3 part harmonies
 > were spot on.

 Jay, thank you for sticking up for The Diggers! I was reluctant to step in
 as it seems we're supposed to keep non-BFF comments to a minimum, but I've
 been a huge Diggers fan since I saw them supporting Heavy Stereo in August.
 So I was thrilled to find them supporting BFF, and I wish I could have got
 tickets for the first Dingwalls show. If anyone wants to know more about
 The Diggers, check out their page in Scuzz at http://www.scuzz.com/ -
 complete with two RealAudio song clips.

 See all you Brits at the LA2!

 Cheers - Tara

 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:49:44 GMT
 From: Mark Piper <pipermf@ugs1.ph.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #163

 Me old mucker Jay wrote:
 >  Woah, seems like there was a few of us at the Dingwalls show on Monday.
 >
 >  They were incredible and how much does Ben make me laugh? The guy is just so
 >  entertaining. I think the new song they played was _Battle of who could care
 >  less_. It was great. I think he may have muttered something about the new
 >  record being called _Cigarette_. Did anyone else here that?
 >
 >  Just wanted to comment about this :
 >
 >  > The show opened with a band called the Diggers, who were Britpop. Nuff
 >  > said. They trudged thru some tunes that sounded like the Beatles songs
 >  > no-one remembers. They left after half an hour.
 >
 >  I really disagree with you. I went to the gig thinking "Oh well, another new
 >  Creation band that'll go away after 2 records", but I was wrong. these guys
 >  can really play and sing. And they could REALLY sing. The 3 part harmonies
 > were
 >  spot on. OK they may have got a little samey towards the end but there were
 >  some really cool pop songs amongst it. And they sounded more like the
 Monkees
 >  than the Beatles...to me anyway....
 >
 >  Sorry, I've gone on a bit.

 Yep, have to go with Jay there. I thought the Diggers were cool (Robert
 was wearing a Diggers T-Shirt at the Brum gig). But, two words:

 TEENAGE FANCLUB

 Okay, yeah, maybe TEENAGE FANCLUB MEETS THE BEATLES. The fat guitarist
 even had that old McCartney shuffle.

 I would spout on about how great BFF were last night, and how I can't wait
 to go to the Astoria 2 tomorrow and how I was dead chuffed that I made
 Robert go and fetch me the setlist and how the crowd cheered when Robert
 was told to say "S*** On The Villa"  (much to their bemusement), but I
 guess you all know anyway.... >8)

 Mark

 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 96 15:55:31 PST
 From: Derek Ebbrell <dse@postman.sabwabco.co.uk>
 Reply to: derek.ebbrell@sabwabco.co.uk
 Subject: Leadmill

 I now I wont be the only one to write but here goes,
 basically the same as London but with out the Johnny Briggs theme,
 We got Champagne Supernova and Saturday night fever instead,
 even little bits of Rage against the machine, F@~k you and all that,
 A bit of piano dancing from Ben and some one dragged from the crowd,
 not to much to her disappointment,

 Much more will be written, and a lot betterer,  so I will leave it here,
 Just waiting for the bares to do a joint tour next year, hope hope

 Derek Ebbrell
 derek.ebbrell@sabwabco.co.uk

 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:15:31 GMT
 From: Mr Benjamin R Day <ph41bd@surrey.ac.uk>
 Subject: lyrics

 Hi.

 does anyone have, or know where to get, the lyrics to the BFF album?

 ta muchly, spinach.

    [Look on the web page, under Discography. -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:35:01 GMT
 From: "A GARBI REG:00263121" <GARBIA-U@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: BF5, Birmingham, England

 Jesus!

 Arrived at the venue to find what was surely the longest queue in its
 history. Stuck down near the bottom of the queue, I bumped into Mark
 (regular Armchair contributor) and we stated our determination,
 despite being about 200th in the queue, to be right at the front of
 the pit. Turned out to be dead easy. I sat upstairs in the bar until
 the end of the Diggers (my vote - they were s***), and came down to
 find it surprisingly simple to push through the mob. Must be that
 British trait - too polite to complain, but nobody said a word to me.
     So there they were, B,R & D looking totally un-rock'n'roll. A
 couple of hellos, then into Jackson Cannery, and the crowd was
 instantly activated. I did expect a few die-hards, but it seemed that
 everyone knew all the words, and were totally into BF5. The whole gig
 was amazing, even though I think I almost had my legs broken a couple
 of times by the masses pushing me harder against the stage. Piano
 playing by arms, arse and stool, piano-vaulting to get across the
 stage, a truly magnificent extended drum solo on Sports & Wine, the
 whole album plus excellent new songs, and still Ben and Robert found
 time to indulge in a little conversation with the crowd. Well done to
 Robert for proclaiming 'S*** on the Villa' (you have to be in
 Birmingham to really appreciate that one).
     Still can't really get my head round it. Might post again when I
 remember it a bit more clearly.
     Anyway, the set list, as abbreviated on Darren's list (complete
 with Darren footprints) :

     Jackson
     Summer
     Battle
     Polka
     Uncle Walter
     Alice
     Steven (can anyone who was there tell me if it was out of tune,
 or whether it was meant to sound like that?)
     Kate ?
     Dwarf ('about a kid, certainly not me, who got bullied at
 school', then something about putting people in cupboards and 'doing
 naughty things to them')
     Best
     Video
     Chopsticks
     Dumped
     Sports
     Underground
     Philosophy (introduced as 'hand me my falafy (or something)
 please')
    ----------
     Boxing
     Julianne

     This is actually wrong. Julianne came earlier, Sports & Wine came
 after Underground and was followed by Video Killed The Radio Star
 ('it's in C#, which is a pain in the ass').

     Anyway, that's that. Best gig ever? Oh, alright then.

     Andy.

 Date: Tue, 26 Nov 96 09:56:37 +1100 (EST)
 From: thompson@mpx.com.au
 Subject: Re: Australian Tour Dates

 Hi People...... I'm just enquiring quickly as to whether anyone, including you
 Frank, knows whether BF5 are playing any other gigs while out here in January,
 apart from the Big Day Out, in either Melbourne or Sydney......please help
 me.....

 PS I went to the final Crowded House concert on the steps of the Sydney Opera
 House last night...and with a quarter of a million people packed in the area
 it was amazing.....i just mention this because I've seen other people make
 reference to them before on here..

 Erika

 Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:27:17 +0000
 From: Kare Kare Man <JOA95JWA@sheffield.ac.uk>
 Subject: I spoke to...BEN!

 I interviewed Ben on Saturday before the Sheffield Leadmill gig and
 he's a really nice guy...he talked for ages on all sorts of topics
 and, ooh, it were smart!

 Darren Jessee decided to leave the band during the course of my
 interview, citing a need for cheese. Ben was undisturbed and said
 that a drum machine would be better anyway.  Ben said the album title
 was between two things, the Little Girl With Teeth or Cigarette.

 The tour manager, as said before, was a really sound bloke as well.
 The high point of the soundcheck was when he took over on vocals for
 Where's Summer B?, including the immortal line 'What about the
 winter?'

 The gig was absolutely awesome...the whole of the first album bar
 Boxing, five new ones at least, the Liz Phair song about f***ing from
 behind plus Champagne Supernova (country-style), Killing In The Name
 Of, a shambolic Staying Alive, Video KIlled The Radio Star.  Other
 high points were a girl dancing on the piano, serenaded by Ben.

 I will post the interview if people want it...I have to say that it
 was my first one ever though so I may not have reached the skilled
 levels of Lester Bangs yet.

 Oh, and off topic, have any UK listies seen the Jason Falkner album
 in this country in record shops?  Is it only on import?  Oh, and
 what's it called?  Please send helpful, glowing e-mails to moi.

 JOHN A---------I'm leeeeeeeeeeaving this factoreeeeeeee-----------

 Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 08:12:36 UT
 From: Bruce Herrier <BHerrier@msn.com>
 Subject: Who are the Klezmatics?

 Who are these Klezmatics that Ben & Co. are hanging out with?  (See Rolling
 Stone blurb)  Has anyone heard of them, or more importantly, heard their CD?
 If so, please post a review to either warn us off or encourage us to run out &
 buy the thing.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a Folds-like album to
 bide the time until the new album.

 Bruce Herrier

 "The whole thing smacks of effort."
 			-One of Lisa Simpson's "beach friends"

               No it didn't work out the way we thought it would