Issue #168 - December 18, 1996

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #168

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.

Topics for Today:

      Best album of 96?
      BF5 PROPAGANDA!
      Marriage & 10ths
      basking
      Unlucky
      Re: Ben Got Married
      Hand me my baseball bat !
      UK tour and album release
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #167
      Ben Folds Five and Canada
      BFF Homophobic?
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #167
      BFF & BDO in Oz
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #167
      BFF on CMJ
      Live Ben Folds Five On REAL AUDIO
      Pictures
      a few words from my friend julian
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #167
      Ed's Redeeming Qualities
      BFF on MTV
      singles
      comments on BFF
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #167

 Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:13:30 -0700 (MST)
 From: DMJ@ACES.COM
 Subject: Best album of 96?

 In the latest Magical Armchair, a couple people were talking about
 some magazine or something ranking BFF in the top 10 albums of '96.
 I was just kinda curious as to exactly when the album was released...
 'cuz I thought that the copyright date on the album said '95.

 I keep my own list of top 10 albums and top 15 concerts for each
 year dating back 4 or 5 years...  and I wasn't able to include BFF
 in this year's list because I thought it was released in '95.  So I
 cheated and gave it an honorable mention.  ;)

 Y'all are welcome to check out my lists on my web page at
 www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/2040

 All comments and suggestions are appreciated.  =)

 --Don

 Date: Thu, 12 Dec 96 20:35:34 -0600
 From: nancy <ndoodle@ou.edu>
 Subject: BF5 PROPAGANDA!

 HEY, I heard something about PIANO SCORE?
 a new repetoire of strictly ben folds five could get me out of this
 classical piano burnout. ;P!
 um, there's all other sorts of propoganda? (by the way, is it propO or
 propA?) oh, say STICKERS? ;) ha, I like them......

 later, guys, I just wanted to add also, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

 nancy doodle!  :P!

 Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:15:35 -0500
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: Marriage & 10ths

 As for this deal about playing a 10th with the left hand at the beginning of
 "Philosophy", and not being able to stretch your left hand far enough, why
 don't you just play that high E with your RIGHT hand (E-C with the right
 hand)?

 Alas, my hands are also too small to easily play 10ths.  You've probably
 figured this out, but you may be able to compensate by moving your hand
 almost completely off the keyboard (closer to you, playing the bottom part of
 the keys), playing "around" the keys between the 10th rather than playing
 "over" the keys between the 10th.

 Eubie Blake, the late, famed jazz pianist, had massive hands, and made use of
 them by playing 10ths, and I think maybe even 11ths & 12ths.  (I remember
 seeing him play on TV when I was a child, and I remember marveling at how big
 his hands were, and the range he was able to achieve with a single hand,
 although I don't remember specifically what his range was.  Gimme a break, I
 was just a kid!)  Incidentally, I remember on that same PBS program how Eubie
 was talking about how one style involved playing the 7th in a 7th chord at
 the bottom of the chord rather than the top, and I immediately ran over to
 the piano to see what it would sound like.  My mom witnessed all this, and I
 remember how later she was bragging to my dad how I understood the "highly
 technical" (yeah, right) stuff that Eubie Blake was talking about, and how
 evidently they were getting their money's worth for the piano lessons they
 were spending on their 11-year-old kid.

 Anyway, back to the reach thing, I've always thought it was ridiculous that
 they only make one size keyboard, considering that we all have different hand
 sizes.  I mean, they don't make us all wear the same size clothes, so why do
 they make us all play the same sized instrument?  Sure, you can get a
 "kiddie" keyboard with smaller keys, but try finding one of those that has a
 full set (88) and is touch sensitive.

 Back to BF5 stuff, Chepo, last week the bass player from Sincola, introduced
 me to Terri Lord, the drummer from Sincola, at a Ramones hoot night that
 Sincola and my band both played at.  Just like Chepo had told me, Terri is a
 huge BF5 fan and is into playing on the parody/tribute BF5 project I want to
 put together.  To my dismay, Sincola is determined to open for BF5 when they
 come back to Austin, which will likely nix my band's chance to open for them,
 unless there's a three-band bill AND nobody is touring with BF5 when they
 swing through.  Sincola, of course, has a better shot because they know BF5
 since they've played shows with them before, including SXSW in Austin and a
 couple/few in England.  (Both bands used to be on Caroline Records.)  Terri
 bragged about how she had Ben's address and home phone number, and it was all
 I could do to exercise enough restraint to not ask for it.  She also
 mentioned how Ben had just got married, and that he was married once before.
  I wasn't going to post about his wedding because I thought it might be too
 personal and tacky, but since somebody else already posted, I guess the cat's
 out of the bag.

 Sorry for the long post.  I know, I suck.  Sorry.

 -- Michael Bluejay  (Austin, TX)

 Ben Folds Five -- punk rock for sissies
 Green Day -- punk rock for the masses
 Presidents of the USA -- punk rock for teenagers
 They Might Be Giants -- punk rock for reactionary, defensive gays with email
 Weird Al -- polka rock for sissies
 Fugazi -- punk rock for vegetarians
 Sex Pistols -- punk rock for purists
 Butthole Surfers -- punk rock for connoisseurs
 Archers of Loaf -- punk rock for members of Ben Folds Five

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:24:38 -0500 (EST)
 From: jenn halter <jenno@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: basking

 >  Plans include a January promotional trip to Europe and Japan.  Then a
 >  European and UK tour starting on February 23.  The US tour will start on
 >  April 1 and there will be another Japan tour in May.

 hhmmmm...april 1, april fools day....maybe a show in chapel thrill?

 >  I don't think Carolinians like the cold.

 aaahhhh...today in nc it was a beautiful 70 degrees.  i wore shorts and a
 tshirt.  it's almost xmas for goodness sake!

 jenn
                               jenno@email.unc.edu
                            http://sunsite.unc.edu/5e
         "Controlled insanity is necessary for the survival of the human
                                 spirit."-LAHjr.

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:32:53 +1100
 From: Very Fruity Indeed <custer@ros.com.au>
 Subject: Unlucky

 > Also, surely they would not
 > come all the way down to Australia to do just one gig. Has anyone any word
 > of extra tasty morsels of BF5 while they're here?

    OK, I heard on JJJ the other day the full line up for the Big Day Out.
 They mentioned the bands that would be in every city and the bands that
 would be only travelling on part of the tour....  Anyway, BFF were not
 mentioned at all, which leads me to believe, we've all been CONNED!!!  Yep,
 I reckon we've all been conned by Drum Media, that heap of crap Sydney
 paper...  Hmm...  Actually, I like Drum, but I won't if they lied to me.
    But WAIT!  Just this week, drum printed this:

 UP & COMING

 blah, blah, blah

 THE OFFSPRING (US), PATTI SMITH (US), SEPULTURA (Brazil), SUPERGRASS (UK),
 THE PRODIGY (UK), SOUNDGARDEN (US), SHONEN KNIFE (Jap), BEASTS OF BOURBON,
 BEN FOLDS FIVE (US), YOU AM I, POWDERFINGER, TIDDAS, SNOUT, THE SUPERJESUS,
 FRENZAL RHOMB, OMC (NZ) (oh yeah):  Jan Mon 27 Sydney RAS Showgrounds.  Big
 Day Out `97.

    Anyway, I'll be going.  It'll be a great day even if BFF aren;t there,
 but would be ultimate if they were.  I'd be waiting for a coupla hours so I
 got the best spot.  Like, I think I'd just stand there in amazement...
    So, I got my ticket...  Who else has theirs?  :)

 Bye,

 Ad.  A very confused lover of music that makes the body tingle in the places
 that are worth tingling.

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 %      Ad      %
 %Yeah and stuff%
 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 Date: 13 Dec 1996 02:35 EST
 From: Alan LaFleur <lafleur@nortel.ca>
 Subject: Re: Ben Got Married

 I heard Ben got married today, the 12th.  Also heard he's moving away from
 'da Hill to Hollywood.  Maybe they'll practice together over the phone :) ,
 heck, there's no where to practice in Chapel Hill anyway...

 Al

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:25:11 GMT
 From: Andy Hewitt <mbcx6adh@mh2.mcc.ac.uk>
 Reply to: mbcx6adh@stud.man.ac.uk
 Subject: Hand me my baseball bat !

 Yes , the magazine Vox did rate Ben Folds Five as one of the worst 5
 albums of the year . They're entitled to their opinion , however
 wrong it may be . What puzzles me is that they gave it nine out of
 ten when they reviewed the thing earlier in the year . The affiliated
 weekly , the NME , also gave it a similar score and made Underground
 their single of the week . I think that maybe they're all too dumb at
 the magazine and didn't understand how to fill in their voting forms
 properly . Still , the people at Q are infinitely less up-themselves
 and rated it highly .

 On to lighter subjects , and it's nice to see that there is a British
 following to BFF . I thought that I was alone in the appreciation of
 them , but the recent amazing gig at the Manchester Hop&Grape showed
 me that perhaps the state of the country's music taste is not beyond
 repair . I'm extremely happy to see that BFF will be touring the UK
 again soon , and hope that they will play more shows .

 Mark Piper .
 Love the web page . I'm not sure if your list of their cover versions
 included the song "When I think about you I touch myself" or whatever
 it is called that they played at the aforementioned Manchester gig .
 I think that the song was done by a band with a name like "The
 Divinyls" or something . I hope you know what I'm on about as I don't
 myself , but I recognised the song .
 (Actually I hope that it is your web page that has the list . I went
 to them all and think it was at yours . My computer won't access your
 page at the moment so I can't check)
 As for the Diggers , I thought that maybe they sounded a bit like
 Cast meets the Longpigs (without the attitude) with a bit of the
 Bluetones thrown in . My sister agreed , but we thought that they
 were okay .

 That's all .

 Counting the days 'til new material .....
 Andy Hewitt

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:30:47 GMT
 From: Andy Hewitt <mbcx6adh@mh2.mcc.ac.uk>
 Reply to: mbcx6adh@stud.man.ac.uk
 Subject: UK tour and album release

 I see that the album will be released on March 18th in the US . I
 also see that the UK tour starts on the 23rd of February . My
 question is : When will the album be released in the UK ?
 Will it be out here before the tour , as it always helps to know some
 of the songs when seeing a band live . I loved the new songs when
 they were played at the gig I saw last month , but knowing them well
 would certainly improve a gig of what I expect to be a lot of their
 new stuff . If you could give us a date I would be eternally grateful
 (Or at least like you for a bit)
 Cheers
 Andy Hewitt

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:43:43 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Donna L. Hokanson" <hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #167

 Congratulations Frank on the 1st anniversary of the list.  You have done
 a great job!  I enjoy reading the posts and keeping up to date on Ben and
 the Boys.  Thanks for providing a forum for all us fans!

 Donna

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:21:23 AST4ADT
 From: Kevin Hubert <EKH3854@UMoncton.ca>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five and Canada

 To add to what said of Ben Folds Five in Canada, they did
 Lalapallooza in Quebec City last July!!!

 I saw the movie Truth about Cats and Dogs last night and the song Bad
 Idea is really good in th emovie and is placed in the right spot...

 I can't wait for the next album...

 a fam from Canada (there are some...)

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:36:25 -0500
 From: jonathan roy hunsberger <jrh@pobox.com>
 Subject: BFF Homophobic?

 >  Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:22:18 -0500 (EST)
 >  From: John Fagan <john17cd@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>
 >  Subject: Frank and Ross
 >
 >  Ben Folds Five- Homophobic ?  I doubt it.
 >  Remember in Where's Summer B, Frank and Ross are holding hands.
 >
 >  John Fagan
 >  john17cd@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

 My roomate was in a band with Darren Jesse and still talks w/
 Darren every now and then.  He said Ross and Frank are the
 managers of a local radio station and a local club.  They
 screwed Ben over somehow so he wrote them in the song as gay.

 Date: Fri, 13 Dec 96 18:04:46 -0500
 From: Jill Hodgeman <hodgemj@alleg.edu>

 hi you all - this will be my first addition to the magical armchair but my
 question goes out to anyone on the list from Australia.  I love BFF, and
 have never had the chance to see them since i am stuck in pennsylvania in
 the middle of nowhere without a car. but, i will be going to australia
 feb. 6, to spend a semester at the Univ. of Sydney, and i was wondering
 what this "Big Day Out" deal was all about; who's playing, where it
 is,where to get tickets, and when it is, etc..  - if anyone could let me
 know all this so that i could possiby get a chance to see Ben play, i
 would really appreciate it.  thanks - Jill

 Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 11:43:21 +1100
 From: Rebecca Gorrell & Lance O'Brien <lotto@netspace.net.au>
 Subject: BFF & BDO in Oz

 Hi everyone,
         This is my first correspondence but I've been reading for about 3
 months now.  Regarding BFF and the Big Day Out, I contacted James Young who
 is program manager at the alternative music radio station RRR in Melbourne
 to try to get some explanation as to why they are not being promoted.  His
 reply was "BFF are coming nowhere near Australia as far as I know"!!  So go
 figure that one! :(
 For any Melbourne RRR listeners, he promised to play some BFF at the Fast
 Fictions Xmas bash.

 Best wishes to all for a safe and outrageous festive season,
         Rebecca. :)

 Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:16:40 -0800
 From: gillet <gillet@pi.net>

 >  Plans include a January promotional trip to Europe and Japan.  Then a
 >  European and UK tour starting on February 23.  The US tour will start on
 >  April 1 and there will be another Japan tour in May.

 for all the dutch fans on this list: they will play the melkweg, amsterdam
 the 2nd of march 1997.

 met vriendelijke groet		listen every mondaynight 9-10 to
 joris gillet			SUBBACULCTHA my weekly 'alternative'
 uitgeest, the netherlands	radioshow on the local radiostation
 gillet@pi.net 			here in uitgeest, the netherlands !!

 Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 16:09:30 -0200
 From: Daniel MacEachern <dmaceach@is2.dal.ca>
 Subject: BFF on CMJ

 Hi,

 somebody from the last digest indirectly reminded me of another band that I
 have been interested in locating.  On the same CMJ disc as BFF's
 "Underground" there was a great song called "I Will Wait" by a band called
 Ed's Redeeming Qualities but like the last poster, I haven't been able to
 find them anywhere.  Does anyone out there know anything about them?  Could
 you let me know?
 Happy anniversary to the list, I was somewhat shocked to learn that there
 are now almost a thousand members.  I remember when it started, I think
 it's fabulous that more and more people are finding out about this band.
 About the new album.  I'm glad "Song For the Dumped" is on there, because
 it means that I don't have to get that soundtrack.  But isn't there another
 soundtrack with a BFF song on it?  Is that song on the new album?
 Psst - Ben.  Halifax has a great music festival every fall called the
 Halifax Pop Explosion (refers to an explosion in the Harbor 75 years ago
 that destroyed a lot of buildings and killed a lot of people).  Actually,
 now it's called Halifax On Music.  Whatever, it's still a perfect place for
 you guys to play.  Unless of course, the major-label push behind the bew
 album turns you into arena superstars.  But then you could play our Metro
 Center.
 wishful thinking...

 Daniel
 Halifax

 Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 21:19:20 -0500
 From: Tocadisco@aol.com
 Subject: Live Ben Folds Five On REAL AUDIO

 If you have Real Audio and want to here a live performance of Underground,
 look up spin college radio and their should be a list of broadcasts.  I think
 the site is http://www.premrad.com/music/spin/.   Choose shows 5 and 6.  Ben
 Folds is on about fifteen minutes into the broadcast.

 eric

 Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 12:12:27 -0500 (EST)
 From: THE YANKEE <mcdonpj3@wfu.edu>
 Subject: Pictures

 Dear Armchairites,
 	I know I said I would be working on making copies of my BFF
 pictures, but this semester was a doozy, and it was something I did not
 get around to.  Therefore, I apologize.  However, I have devoted a folder
 on my drive to every piece of mail I have received regarding the
 pictures, and will do my best to get them out when I get back to school
 in the spring and get email back.  Thanks for your patience.

 Merry Christmas and Happy Holdiays to Everyone!
 In BFFandom,

                                 Patrick J. McDonough

 Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 13:39:08 -0400
 From: - Steady Eddy - <bartok@cycor.ca>
 Subject: a few words from my friend julian

    Dear Ben Folds, congratulations on some really great music not to
 mention a cultivated sense of humor, something sorely lacking in rock
 music today.  I recently arrived back in Canada after five years in the
 states( new york) and having heard you for the first time there am finding
 that your name doesnt resound with the same clout here.  I think a tour
 through Canada would be great as your sound, being quite "Yank" would
 reconnect all these canadian depressed folk guitar people with genuine,
 neighborhood rock'n roll. Keep up the good work, it's a lot of fun and it
 makes me happy. take care- Julian Molitz
  P.S.  My room mate from NYC is spending a year in Budapest and is no
 doubt playing your music to the local Hungarians, I'm sure they love it !

 #########################
 "THE VELVET MUFFIN LIVES!"

         --Laurie Reifel, 1996
 #########################

 From the-concourse-on-highWed Dec 18 07:37:04 1996

 Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:56:19 -0500
 From: James A Harton <jaharton@csrlink.net>
 Subject: Ed's Redeeming Qualities

 > From: holmstd@ssu.southwest.msus.edu
 > Subject: First Post To 'Magical Armchair'...request & plea
 >
 > I got into BBF shortly after the CMJ disc featured Underground.  It was
 > unlike anything I was hearing at the time.  (It also featured Ed's
 > Redeeming Qualities, a band I could NOT find anywhere and still can't.)  I

 I also got into BFF with that CMJ issue, but I've found Ed's.  Great band. I
 work at a record store and we have some of their albums, most stores that
 deal with a one-stop distributor should be able to get one of their albums
 for you.

 some titles for ya....

 Big Grapefruit Cleanup Job
 It's All Good News (Flying Fish 90579) Cassette Only
 More Bad Times (Flying Fish 70549)
 James A. Harton
 jaharton@csrlink.net
 don't forget to check out the Busload of Faith website
 http://www.personal.psu.edu/als164/busload.html
 "it's got organic soul, man"

 Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 17:07:17 -0500
 From: Darryn Fessel <dfessel@one.net>
 Subject: BFF on MTV

 Hey everyone, I just thought I'd mention I was watching the Beavis and
 Butthead Movie Preview Special on MTV and during the host's intro, they
 played Uncle Walter.  Most that they played was teh bass solo, but it
 was kind of suprising to be laying in bed half asleep and here that on
 MTV of all places.  At least we know SOMEONE at MTV has some taste.  See
 Ya'!

 --
 The Roswell Incident
 *Joel Camins,Guitar * Darryn Fessel,Bass * Ben Sherman,Sax * Yoni

 Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 12:01:19 -0500 (EST)
 From: Alexander Jay Timin <ajtimin@freenet.scri.fsu.edu>
 Subject: singles

 If anyone can find BF5 cd singles for a relatively cheap price (like less
 than $10 per cd) please let me know!

 Thanks,

 Alex Timin

 Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 22:25:41 -0500
 From: MCBleiler@aol.com
 Subject: comments on BFF

 JUST TO INTRODUCE MYSELF TO YOU MUSICALLY I WOULD FIRST LIKE TO SAY THAT BEN
 FOLDS AS A MUSICIAN AND SONG WRITER RANKS UP THERE WITH THE LIKES OF FRANCIS
 DUNNERY, ADAM DURITZ AND JAKAB DYLAN OF THE WALLFLOWERS.  YOU SHOULD KNOW
 ADAM DURITZ FROM THE COUNTING CROWS BUT FRANCIS IS RARELY KNOWN WHEN I SPEAK
 OF HIM.  DOES ANY OF THE BEN FOLDS FIVE FANS OUT THERE KNOW FRANCIS DUNNERY?
  IF NOT CHECK HIM OUT.  I FIRST HEARD OF BEN FOLDS FIVE WHEN ADAM DURITZ
 REFERS TO HIM IN A SONG OFF HIS SECOND ALBUM ENTITLED "RECOVERING THE
 SATTLELITES"  THE SONG TITLED "MONKEY" IS ABOUT ADAM WANTING TO BE UNKNOWN
 AGAIN.  AS YOU PROBABLY HAVE NOTICED COUNTING CROWS HAVE GROWN TO BE QUITE
 POPULAR- ISNT THAT A SHAME.  EVER SINCE WE HAVE PICKED UP THE DISC WE HAVEN'T
 BEEN ABLE TO TAKE IT OUT OF MY CD PLAYER.  EVERY SONG STRAIGHT THROUGH IS
 SOLID THE ONLY ONE THAT MIGHT BE A BIT WEAK IS JULIANNE, BUT STILL ONE OF THE
 GREATEST SONGS WE HAVE HEARD IN A WHILE.  GROWING UP WITH SUCH GREATS AS BOB
 DYLAN , AND TOM PETTY I FEEL THAT MY ASSESSMENT OF LYRICAL GENIUS IS QUITE
 ACCURATE. WE CONTINUE TO LISTEN TO BEN AND ARE EAGERLY AWAITING THE NEW DISC.
 MEGAN AND BRIAN

 Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:29:56 -0500 (EST)
 From: Tucker Linda Lorraine <tucker5@server.uwindsor.ca>

 heh there fellow BF5 (or BFF) fans!!!
 My name is Linda and I am here in the GREAT country of Canada!
 Unfortunatly, the Ben Folds Five single to Uncle Walter isn't available
 here in Canada.  I realize it is available in Europe though...hmmm.
 anyone out there want to help me get a copy of this???
 It would be greatly appreiciated!

 Merci !

 -Linda Tucker
 tucker5@uwindsor.ca