 Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:07:08 CST
 From: the big giant head <KARNOPPA@nsu001.northern.edu>
 Subject: Fleming & John and Ben Folds....

 Hey guys,

 The following was taken from Consumable Online.  I thought you might
 be interested:

 "Fleming and John have been busy in their home studio woking on their
 followup album to "Delusions of Grandeur."  Ben Folds plays piano on
 one track ("Laughing Out Loud") and the duo have added strings to two
 songs appearing on Folds' forthcoming album."

 I can't wait....

 Adam

 Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 20:07:36 -0500 (EST)
 From: Marc <mjt7742@is2.nyu.edu>
 Subject: Nice piano...

 Not necessarily so, Mr. MacEachern.  I've played many different pianos.
 They do range in key size and in pitch range.  Bosendorfer is known for
 this.  Not to mention electronic keyboards which range in every aspect.

 A good piano may be like a good pair of jeans.  Hence the title of this
 soliloquy.

 Go Patriots!

 Date: 20 Jan 1997 17:47:00 -0000
 From: Robert Mcgovern <mcrobert@hotmail.com>
 Subject: B-sides, live tracks and other stuff

 This is my first letter to The ArmChair even though I've been reading it for
 quite some time.  Anyway, on to business.  Living in England It has become
 very difficult for me to get my hands on any Ben Folds singles e.t.c.
 Recently though I have discovered a magazine that trades in imported singles
 and albums.  The point is I would really like to get my hands on these
 B-sides and live tracks such as "Satan is my master(live)".  I would like to
 know if are fans out there who have these B-sides,Live tracks or radio
 interviws and would be willing to copy them for me.  I'm not the type for
 person who have the album on every format( CD,Tape,Vinyl,8-Track and
 gramophone) But it would be great if I could just send someone a blank tape
 and they could copy the track for me.  A similar group has been set up by
 fans of the band "Toad the Wet Sproket".  If there Is anyone out there who
 owns any non-album recordings or agrees with me then drop me a line.

 Frank, What's your opinion on setting up some kind of scheme in which fans of

 Robert Mcgovern

 Blackpool, England.

 ****** Mcrobert@hotmail.com *******

 Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:15:44 -0500
 From: Steffen Donath <106270.3527@compuserve.com>
 Subject: Ben Folds Live tape

 Hi everybody!

 I have recently taped a BFF radio show from his concert in
 Stuttgart/Germany on Nov. 13th 1996. Then tape runs for about 43 mins and
 the sound quality is very good. The tracklisting is as follows:

 The last polka
 Uncle Walter
 Boxing
 One angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces
 (Every night out is) Steven's last night
 Jackson Cannery
 Video
 Underground
 Song for the dumped
 Video killed the radio star

 If anybody is interested in a copy of that show, I would like to swap
 against other BFF live tapes. Just contact me via e-mail at
 106270,3527@Compuserve.com and we work out something. Can't wait for the
 new album in February.

 Steffen

 "The girls don't understand it
  what you think is art
 my oh my we're all impressed
 how sensitve you are"

 Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:21:34 -0500 (EST)
 From: Mcbragg@aol.com
 Subject: Someone.....Anyone!!

 Out of all the BF5 fans that read the Magical Armchair there has to be a few
 that happen to posess some BF5 concerts on Video tape ( snuck in with a
 camcorder )  I'd love to meet these people over the Computer and set
 something up to trade to get these tapes. I got other shows on video to
 trade, just no BF5 - so please get back to me if this happends to be YOU!!!
   Thanx, John Lee        "McBragg@AOL.COM.

 Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:34:41 +0100
 From: George and Teresa Taylor <gtaylor@ols.net>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #170

 > From: kumquat <angjc@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU>
 > Subject: Musical training?
 (snip)
 > Does anyone know where Ben got his musical training?
 > was it at the School of the ARTS in NC?
 (snip)
 >    [Ben took a year of formal piano training when he was 9 or ten, I
 > believe, and picked up the rest on his own, and playing in clubs and with
 > other bands. -fjm]

 I took a jazz appreciation class at UNC-Greensboro in the summer of '92 and
 met Ben and Chuck's dad. We would spend time before the class talking about
 Bus Stop, Ben, and Majosha.
 He mentioned to me that Ben was gifted from the start and that one time a
 piano teacher quit (when Ben was pre-teen if I remember correctly) because
 Ben was teaching the piano teacher new things.
 He also talked about Ben and his short-lived studies at the UNC-G School of
 Music. Mr. Folds said that Ben left the program because 'the school was
 trying to break his style and was trying to make him compose classical
 music,' which he didn't want to do.
 Mr. Fold's was (is) a great guy who is obviously very proud of his two
 sons. I'm glad that I was able to meet him.

 If anyone is interested in trading boots, I have the "Shut Up and Listen to
 Majosha!" cassette that has some unbelievable stuff, including a song or
 two from the BFF CD.

 george
 ------

 ttfn,
 george & teresa taylor
 8(:-)          :}

 gtaylor@ols.net
 g_taylor@forsyth.lib.nc.us (George only)
 http://www.ols.net/~gtaylor

 Date: Wed, 22 Jan 97 17:11:00 PST
 From: Sanda Kurtz <sankur@aent.com>
 Subject: Am I the First?

 So, I've got in my hot little hands a copy of the new album:
 Sony/Epic/550 Music 67762
 "Whatever & Ever, Amen."

 Songs:

 One Angry Dwarf & 200 Solemn Faces
 Fair
 Brick
 Song for the Dumped
 Selfless, Cold & Composed
 Kate
 Smoke
 Cigarette
 Steven's Last Night in Town
 Battle of Who Could Care Less
 Missing the War
 Evaporated

  It's just wonderful. The Boys are better than ever. I can't go on
 enough. Our Sony Rep brought in one copy and we've already copied it and
 listened to it and worshipped it.

 Liner notes are non existent. The cover has pictures of the band looking
 like fugitives.

 You're gonna love it! 10.98 list cass & 16.98 list CD Street date is
 March 18,1997

 Thanks, Sanda

 Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 16:36:08 GMT
 From: "A GARBI REG:00263121" <GARBIA-U@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: New single and tour in the UK!

 Yes! 'Battle of Who Can Care Less' is out in the Uk on Feb 10th.

 Yes! Tour starts March 2nd, calling Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester,
     Norwich, London, Sheffield, Bristol and Wolverhampton.

 Yes! UK is also about to get Cake! I've blagged a copy of their
     Fashion Nugget album off the record company, and it is ace... Love
     that take on I Will Survive.

 No No No! U2 and Depeche Mode are back. Stop it now, old men.

     In ridiculous anticipation of new album,

                                             Andy.

 Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 02:54:28 -0500 (EST)
 From: PowerVegan@aol.com
 Subject: Bluejay's craziest post yet

 Contents:  (1) Clip from the Austin Chronicle
            (2) Not opening for BF5 in Austin
            (3) Last night's dream

 (1) CLIP FROM THE AUSTIN CHRONICLE.  Here's an exceptionally tiny reference
 to Ben Folds Five from this week's Austin Chronicle:  "[Dah-veed] Garza ...
 maintains he's found similar support and freedom in his Atlantic deal --
 which allowed him just last week to remix the debut record he'd previously
 completed with Philadelphia producer Stiff Johnson (G. Love, Ben Folds Five,
 Cypress Hill)..."

 (2) NOT OPENING FOR BF5 IN AUSTIN.  After sending two emails, one letter, and
 one postcard to Ben Folds Five or their manager over the last few months
 asking if my band could open for BF5 when they next played Austin, I finally
 received a reply from their manager, Alan Wolmark, which was basically
 "Absolutely NO".  The short, politely-worded letter started out with
 something like, "While the band and I greatly appreciate your relentless
 enthusiasm..."  Oh well, you can't blame a guy for trying.

 (3)  LAST NIGHT'S DREAM.  I'm known among my friends for having weird dreams,
 and I've had several about Ben Folds Five (more than about the Beatles, in
 fact, which surprises me).  I think I've only posted one here, if I even
 posted that one, because usually they're short and boring and who cares?  But
 after last night's dream, I wanted to share it with somebody, and who better
 than you folks, right?  (If this doesn't interest you, please avoid reading
 it rather than flaming me.}

 So, the boys were playing here in Austin.  At one point in the show, Terri
 Lord from Sincola played a second drum kit along with Darren, matching him
 note for note.  [This makes it obvious what the source of this dream was,
 because earlier in the day I had called Terri to see about getting together
 to work on the BF5 tribute project.]  I think it was on "Philosophy" that she
 did this mirrored drum part.  A song or two later, Terri and Ben were singing
 "Alice Childress" together near the front of the stage, with Terri providing
 one of the harmonies.  (Don't know whether it was Darren's or Robert's
 harmony -- sorry, the dream wasn't THAT detailed.)  No piano for this part of
 the song.  I was in the audience near the piano, where I usually am at BF5's
 shows, hoping to glean some playing tips from watching Ben.  As they
 approached the bridge of the song, Ben suddenly looks back toward the piano,
 seeming to realize that he was supposed to have headed back to the piano a
 few measures back so he could be ready to come in with the piano part on the
 bridge.  [This part of the dream was probably partly inspired by the drummer
 for my band, who is supposed to retreat from the front of the stage back to
 his drum kit during some of our songs, but frequently forgets and then has to
 scramble to make it in time.]  So, there I am, by the piano -- this is my big
 chance.  So, I jump up onto the stage to play the song.  The bridge is
 distinctive, easy to play, and I've played it a bunch of times.  I know I can
 do this, and here is my chance to get on Ben's good side by saving the show
 while fulfilling my dream of playing with Ben Folds Five.  But I'm wearing a
 jacket and the sleeves extend over my palms, tripping me up, and my pants are
 too long and they extend slightly over my shoes messing up my pedaling.  You
 ever have a dream where you're trying to run but you can only run in slow
 motion?  Well, that's what it was like when I was trying to play this bit.  I
 was PLAYING in slow motion.  It was a sickening sensation.  After a while,
 somehow I managed to play okay.  But then after the show Ben was totally
 pissed at me, not for flubbing up the song, but because (he said) I wasn't a
 union musician and that meant that the band was going to lose all their food
 stamp privileges.  (This is a dream, it's not supposed to make sense.)  I
 said, well, Terri played with you and SHE's not a union musician, either.
  Ben said that that was different because Terri was popular and everyone
 liked her.  (I didn't take this as a slam because Terri is definitely more
 well-known in Austin than I am.)  I told Ben, yeah, but what does that have
 to do with the fact that she's not a union musician either, which would have
 soured your food stamp deal well before I started playing?  He didn't have an
 answer, he was just still mad.  I told him, look, I can cover the cost of the
 food stamps, how much were they worth?  And in my mind I'm trying to think of
 how much I could realistically afford to put on a credit card.  But Ben won't
 take me up on my offer.  Although I've alienated my idol somehow I don't feel
 bummed.  Actually, I'm thinking, look, I didn't know about this food stamp
 deal, Terri played before I did anyway, and I offered to cover the cost of
 the food stamps.  I hardly feel like the big perpetrator.  I go outside and
 run into Frank.  I tell him the story and he listens politely but doesn't
 take sides.  [Sign of a good moderator, I guess. :-) ]  My bandmate Lee comes
 up, oblivious to the fact that BF5 just played, and is bummed that he missed
 the show.  Frank mentions that BF5 is playing in Houston the following night,
 and Frank will be there because in fact he's following the band around the
 country like a Deadhead.  Lee suggests that maybe we should go.  This is
 interesting because Lee recently was reluctant to go to Houston to have us
 play a show with El Flaco because he was worried that his car wouldn't make
 it.  I decide not to go.  I start to bike home, and then I see BF5's tour bus
 inside an automated, three-lane car wash.  (I know, such things don't exist.)
  I ride my bike into one of the empty lanes next to the bus, so I can get a
 look inside, worrying that the car wash will start once I get my bike inside,
 but considering that it could be a lot of fun, providing that the water is
 not so hot that it scalds the holy living mortal bejeezus out of me.  Their
 tour bus is red, and double-decker like those in England, and filled with
 vending machines.  Then I had another dream, in which I thought I had woken
 up, but in which I remembered the dream I had about BF5.  I ran into Frank
 again and told him about my dream and about how he was in it.  Then I had
 another dream, in which I realized I had the previous two dreams, but thought
 I was awake now, although I was just dream number three.  This sequence
 continued a few more times.  This happens to me a lot.  When I wake up for
 real, what I feel is that that whole loop was just really annoying.

 -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)     http://www.koop.org/bikelane

    [Yikes, this is scary. Now I'm showing up in his dreams... -fjm]

 Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:59:14 GMT
 From: Andy Hewitt <mbcx6adh@mh2.mcc.ac.uk>
 Subject: Excellent news

 Glad to hear of the UK single release on the 10th of February , but
 still wish the album was released before the 3rd of March .
 Sympathy to all the American fans who won't be getting the stuff
 released until later , but you get most other stuff  before us here in
 England so it makes a refreshing change .
 Looking forward to the 10th , the 3rd and the 5th (when they play
 Manchester) .
 Andy Hewitt

 Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:28:37 -0500 (EST)
 From: FineExampl@aol.com
 Subject: Re: whatever and ever amen

 in case any of you are interested i have compiled all the lyrics on one of
 the web pages into one text file!    it has all the first album, most of the
 new album, and many more!   i will send it to anyone who wants it!   let me
 know!!!!!

   [As mentioned above, Fleming & John have collaborated with Ben on their
 upcoming album. Here is the press release:]

     NEW YORK--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--January 6, 1997--Just when
 Fleming & John thought it was safe to head back into the recording
 studio and begin work on their second album for Universal Records,
 things started popping again.
     First John Painter, a noted studio musician when not on the road
 with his wife Fleming McWilliams and their band, got called to duty
 with Jewel.  He did string arrangements on her new record, to be
 released in early `97.  Shortly after, longtime friend Ben Folds
 invited John to add strings to two songs on Ben Folds Five's
 much-anticipated follow-up album.  Then NBC began running a national
 TV spot promoting the network's Saturday night "Thrillogy" line up,
 featuring Fleming & John's song "I'm Not Afraid."  The spots, promos
 for their shows "Dark Skies," "Pretender," and "The Profiler" backed
 with the upbeat tune, began airing during the NBC broadcast of the
 movie "Jurassic Park" and have exposed the band nationwide to a
 diverse audience.  At the beginning of each spot, NBC gives screen
 credit to Fleming & John, which is being shown 15 times each week to an
 estimated audience of 30 million people each time.  "The music of
 Fleming & John gives a hip and youthful image to our programming and
 the demographic response for the three shows proves that," says
 Vince Manze, senior vice president of Advertising and Promotion, NBC
 Television.
     Large groups of people have also been hearing "Love Songs,"
 Fleming & John's second single from their debut CD, DELUSIONS OF
 GRANDEUR, on radio stations in areas as diverse as Los Angeles, New York,
 Atlanta, Charleston, Nashville and Springfield, Mo.  Recently,
 Fleming & John made an in-store appearance in Springfield with over
 500 people requesting autographs and the next day, they performed at
 Channel Z's Dare To Care show in front of 5,000 fans who sang every
 word of "Love Songs" with Fleming & John.
     Looking ahead, Fleming & John are back into their own home
 studio to work on their own follow-up album.  Produced by Fleming &
 John themselves, they have completed many songs including "I'm So
 Small," "Don't Let It Fade Away," "Suppressed Emotions," and
 "Someday."  Even Ben Folds gets in the act, returning the favor by
 playing piano on "Laughing Out Loud."  Look for Fleming & John's new
 Universal Records album in the Spring of 1997, followed by a world
 tour including Japan, Europe and North America.
     --30--hk/ny+

    [Thanks again for everyone being so patient. I promise it won't take this
 long to put out the next Armchair! -fjm]
   When money talks I hate to listen but lately it's been screaming in my ear