Issue #176 - January 30, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #176

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.

Topics for Today:

      Bit of this, bit of that
      Re: Ben Folds Five Music On The Web
      new single
      UK Tour
      How can I get a ticket in Belgique ?
      Re: Ben Folds Tour
      Sorry
      "Underground" at the ball
      Try not to think about it, Adam Duritz
      Some excellent guitar chords
      space ghost
      Transciption of Philosophy
      Ben Folds on Spaceghost
      I love it! Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #175
      address
      Midwest tour dates...
      The Upcoming Tour
      Ben Folds on the TV
      A plea To Ben Folds Five
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #175

    [Couple notes from the moderator first: Welcome to all the new
 subscribers. We've had a flurry of adds in the last few days, probably
 due to the volume of discussion on alt.music.alternative and
 alt.music.chapel-hill as well as the info pointing to us on  Sony's
 website. Please remember to keep posts on-topic and change the subject
 line when replying.
     Speaking of websites, there are some discrepancies in things like
 release dates and tour dates between various websites. The information on
 http://oeonline.com/bff on release dates and the UK tour dates is from
 the band's management. Sony's information differs in some areas. As far
 as who's right, time will tell.
     Again, due to the volume of posts, this issue is split. #177 will
 follow this one.
     Now, lean back in your Barcalounger, here come the posts:  -fjm]

 Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 14:48:11 -0000
 From: Baldwin M <M.Baldwin@rhbnc.ac.uk>
 Subject: Bit of this, bit of that

 I wrote this article for my University newspaper(it gets published on
 Monday) of the Astoria2 gig. I know its a bit late, but i thought
 someone might be interested.
 If anyone wants to chat about Ben Folds with me, my e mail address is
 M.Baldwin@rhbnc.ac.uk

 (Taken from The Orbital- Royal Holloway University Newspaper)
    Ben Folds Five don`t play guitars. They bring them on to smash them
 up. Rock n roll cliche? Nah mate, BFF are a breath of fresh air in a
 music industry that is distinctly polluted. Ben Folds complete with
 Spinal Tap style wig destroys them to the delight of the crowd, dances
 on his baby piano and leads his band into Satan is my Master. It`s a
 conduction that walks the fine line between Billy Joel and Green Day.
 Welcome to 'punk rock for sissies'
    With songs like Julienne about a girl who looks like Axl Rose and
 Boxing written about an imginary conversation in the head of Muhammed
 Ali it`s fir to say that BFF have a sense of humour. Tonight they are on
 fabulous form. This is not just a live band, its a full cabaret musical
 experience. They have the stories, the songs, a clown and intermixed
 comedy. They are complete entertainment. "This is a song we first played
 up North" quips Folds before a hilarious cover of 'Champagne Supernova'
     Unsuprisingly, there is no 'Uptown girl', but they do tease into
 their equivalent classic, a rollicking 'Underground'. These guys may
 never have been "cool in school" but the college geeks have made good
 and are a revelation. Catch them at the Astoria in late February.

 Matthew Baldwin

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 9:34:35 -0000
 From: Simon Burrows INF-KB <sburrows@madge.com>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five Music On The Web

 eric weiss wrote:

  yeah, what's the spiel on the bf5 sheet music? I'd absolutely love to
  find a copy. Please someone help us pathetic ivory tinklin' fools out.
  I'm one of those that can't play by ear, but can certainly READ. Thank
  you and have a great day!

 As a (crap) guitarist, I'm more used to playing Billy Bragg. But I did
 find some Ben Folds Five chord progressions on the web. The featured
 songs (Alice Childress, Best Imitation, Jackson, Julianne, Where's Summer
 B) have been transcribed for guitar, but you could use the chords as a
 starting point.

 The URL is http://www.lsds.com/lsds/guitar/b/ben_folds_five/

 Its a cracking music resource, with songs from pratically everygroup you
 can think of.

 Now that Ben Folds is so cool (and deservedly so), does this mean I'm
 allowed to dig out my old Billy Joel albums? Have BFF covered any of Mr
 Joel's songs? I wonder what BJ makes of Ben Folds success?  I'd be quite
 interested in a definitive list of tracks covered by the band, and what
 an LP that would make.

 Laters. Stay fresh.

 Ced Burrows
 sburrows@madge.com

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:45:10 +0000
 From: Nev Jopson <nev@foresight.co.uk>
 Subject: new single

 I heard "The Battle Of Who Could Care Less" on Virgin FM in London last
 night... it was great to finally hear something new.

 I don't reckon it will get much daytime airplay in the format I heard tho',
 due to the lyric about "scoring some weed"... I guess the conservative BBC
 & independent "pop" stations would have a big problem with this prior to
 evening schedules (look out for the "radio edit" version).

 Nev

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:05:24 +0000
 From: Chelfyn Baxter <Chelfyn@b422.demon.co.uk>
 Subject: UK Tour

 BFF are playing Bristol on the 22nd March. Good news, as I live in
 Bristol, but I'm afraid that most (read all) of my friends in Bristol
 are ignorant of BFF's level of musical genius, so I'm stuck for company
 for the gig. Any mailing list members from the South West want to sink a
 few beers & come and see Ben ? Mail me if you do.

 BCingU,
     Chelfyn
 ------------------------------------
 "I like beer, and I like cheese...."
 ------------------------------------

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:54:00 +0900
 From: Azusa Motohashi <EZC00110@niftyserve.or.jp>
 Subject: How can I get a ticket in Belgique ?

 Hi everyone,

 In last Magical Armchair,there were tourdates in Europe.
 I want a ticket and information for Ben Folds Five show in
 Brussells, Belgique on Mar.20th. Searching my memory,though,
 nobody who lives in Belgique is in this mailing list ,
 If someone knows how to get a ticket ,please e-mail me.

 I have a friend who studies in Belgique and I intend to go
 there to meet her.And now I know the Ben Folds Five tour dates,
 and add the show on my travel.She isn't familiar with the system
 about music ticket agency,so I depend on you.

 Azusa Motohashi
 EZC00110@niftyserve.or.jp

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:28:56 GMT
 From: Chris Butterworth <cb128@york.ac.uk>
 Subject: Re: Ben Folds Tour

 Can anyone confirm the date for Ben Folds Tour in Sheffield? The date in
 question is a Sunday??? This seems quite strange as generally live bands
 play at the Leadmill on Saturday or Monday. Besides that has anyone else
 spotted the similarity between Robsert Sledge and Jesse out of Home and
 Away?

 A sad Australian soap addict, aswell as Ben Folds

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:03:26 GMT
 From: Andy Hewitt <mbcx6adh@mh2.mcc.ac.uk>
 Subject: Sorry

 Apologies for filling up the Armchairs with questions last time . It
 looked worse than it was as I did send the answers to my own
 questions after and not before the questions .
 If you follow that then you're a better man/woman/neuter than me .

 Oh , and the person who sent in a posting saying that they had the
 lyrics to most of the new album . Do you have the lyrics to the
 single "Battle of who could care less" as I'd really like those .

 That's all .

 Yours tired from the horrendous exams
 Andy Hewitt

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:14:41 -0400
 From: Daniel MacEachern <dmaceach@is2.dal.ca>
 Subject: "Underground" at the ball

 Last Saturday (Jan. 25) I attended the annual formal held by the Young
 Alexandra Society at my university here in Halifax. Music was supplied by a
 large swing band, with recorded popular music whenever the band took a
 break. At one point, Underground was played, and it was the first time I'd
 heard BFF coming from somewhere other than my own stereo, it was such a
 treat! In fact, since it was out of context like that, it took me a few
 seconds to recognize the song, kind of "hey, I know this song, what is
 it?...It's BEN FOLDS!" Later on, one of my roommates told me he heard the
 song come on and said to the girl he was talking to, "somewhere on the
 dance floor, Danny's going nuts."

 Daniel
 Halifax

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:41:43 -0500 (EST)
 From: Rahoolio@aol.com
 Subject: Try not to think about it, Adam Duritz

     Interesting point a lot of subscribers have brought up, that of Counting
 Crows' "A Long December" (what a great record!) sounding a little BF5-ish.
  It certainly sounds like the work of a man who enjoys "Alice Childress,"
 come to think of it.  The FIRST song it reminded me of, though, was the
 Stones' "Winter," from "Goats Head Soup".  Both songs have a melancholy
 winter-in-California theme.
      So the promo copies of "Whatever and Ever" are out, are they?  Being a
 record store employee, I feel somehow cheated.  I'll have to call up our Sony
 rep today, 'cause I don't wanna wait for March 18!

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:57:23 +0000
 From: Steve <s.d.poyer@durham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Some excellent guitar chords

 Hello and 'hope you had a great Burns night' to all Scottish BBF fans...

 I've been searching all over for some half decent scores to the songs
 off the first album...and was giving up hope until i found this address:

 http://www.lsds.com/lsds/guitar/b/ben_folds_five/

 Okay, i know it only gives the guitar chords (i play piano myself); but
 if you sit down with the album its easy to work out the bass parts, the
 timing of the chords, and the solos.

 Over Christmas i gave a friend of mine the BBF album...and it took her
 just one afternoon to work out Underground (all the way through, almost
 perfect), so i know it can be done. So she does happen to hold a grade 8
 distinction in piano...but i'm sure thats got nothing to do with it
 (maybe that's wishful thinking).

 Anyway, if anyone has any scores or info as to how i can get them, then
 mail me.

 Cheers,

 		Steve.

 	(No fancy quotes from me i'm afraid).

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 13:39:57 -0500
 From: benjamin c salmon <bcsalm00@mik.uky.edu>
 Subject: space ghost

 has anyone (or everyone) on this list seen Ben Folds on Space Ghost Coast
 To Coast?  He's on for about 2 seconds when Zorak is hosting.  He says,
 "You're Zorak." and Zorak blasts him.  its pretty funny.  if this has been
 covered a million times, i'm sorry, i just subscribed.  it was pretty
 cool.

 ben

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 13:53:05 -0500
 From: Michael Rolli <rollim01@mchip00.med.nyu.edu>
 Subject: Transciption of Philosophy

 A while back someone mentioned that a magazine had printed a note-by-note
 transcription of Philosophy.  Does anyone know the name of the magazine?
 What about the issue number?  Thanks.

 --M
 rollim01@popmail.med.nyu.edu

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:59:36 -0500 (EST)
 From: J6780@aol.com
 Subject: Ben Folds on Spaceghost

 I think it was on Saturday night, I was on the phone with the television on
 mute. When I looked up, the credits for  "Spacegost: Coast to Coast" were
 rolling. Under "Special Guests", it read " Ben Folds" about the 7th person
 down.. Anyone else see this or kno what it's about?
  And any tour dates coming to Connecticut, or even on the East Coast? We're
 starving over here for some good ol piano, Ben!

  Jess

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:19:14 -0500
 From: Mike Piccuirro <mikeman@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
 Subject: I love it! Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #175

 I heard Who Could Care Less on 92.3 KROCK here in NY last night. It is
 COOL!  I was dancing in my car!  This is the first time I've heard
 anything new from BFF since I bought the first CD a year ago.  It was
 worth the wait.

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:45:53 -0500 (EST)
 From: UFOPhiler@aol.com
 Subject: address

 A while ago, someone had said that they got posters of BFF by writing into
 the record company.  I wasn't sure if I should of written in the Caroline or
 not cause aren't they on Sony 550 now?  If anyone knows anything about this,
 please email me.  I also strongly suggest hearing if you have not already,
 the Duncan Sheik album, I think it is really amazing.

 kate

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:45:30 -0500 (EST)
 From: Michele <mmenuck@umich.edu>
 Subject: Midwest tour dates...

 As a person stuck "somewhere in middle America," (well, Michigan isn't
 exactly in the middle, but you know what I mean), I'd like to know when
 BFF is coming around here.  It's enough that they won't be supporting CC
 in the MW- don't tell me they're only doing the West Coast...
 Please post a list of tour dated other than those in Utah and the like...

 Thanks.
 Michele

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:11:15 -0800 (PST)
 From: Michelle <mms@wolfenet.com>
 Subject: The Upcoming Tour

  4/1	Seattle		Paramount Theater

 So, the bad news is I'm gonna' have to go to a Counting Crows Concert.
 (Sorry, all I'm not a fan)

 But good news abounds:
 Ben Folds Five Opens, so I can always skip out of the show early
 It's on April Fool's Day, so hopefully that will lead to fun and hijinx
 during the show
 It's 2 days before my birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
 If friends were unsure as to what to get me for my Birthday (Matt, pay
 attention here :}) I think BFF tickets would be a lovely present,
 ESPECIALLY if the friend were to somehow able to arrange for backstage
 passes or a chance to meet the band.

 Seeing Ben in a theater rather than a club I'm afraid it will lose
 something, but at least I'll get to see him again!  :)

 65 days and counting....
 Michelle

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:34:29 -0500 (EST)
 From: Shannon McCarthy <semccart@Oakland.edu>
 Subject: Ben Folds on the TV

 Yes..ya now there's this new satellite channel from MTV called M2, who
 incidently shows 24hours of music videos (hey didn't mtv used to do that?)
 well anyways MTV shows an hour preview of M2 on MTV everyweekdat from
 2pm-3pm adn last week, they played the "Uncle Walter" video!!!! I started
 screaming! It was one teh cutest and best videos I have ever seen. So now
 i've seen Undergournds and Unlce Walter's videos each once. I would
 imagine they woudl repeat it sometime on MT,but i don't knwo abut he MTV
 preivew of it.
 	Also, we've all taken notice to my posts and others abut the
 Barenaked Ladies playing the BFF album at their concerts right? Well yet
 another band has done the same, a CAnadian one also in fact. The most
 amazing band i've ever heard called the Rheostatics played the BFF album
 before their show last week. I was so excited, i couldnt' control my
 singing. So after i'm wondering..hmm, i wonder who's the BFF fan, i've got
 to find out. So there i was waiting to talkd and get stuff signed by one
 of the Rheostatics' singers and i over heard him saying three
 words w/in the same sentace.."March 18, Lollapalooza, and the
 Klezmatics..."sooo i of coruse interrupted him and said "excuse me are you
 talking about  Ben Folds Five?" And he said "yes, we are, their great".
 And
 i said yeah they rock.adn let him finish their convo. so i talked to DAve
 (the singer)after about BFf, i guess he saw them at Palooza this summer
 fand really enjoyed it,and gave Ben some of the Rehsotatics cd'sss BEN?
 YOU STILL HAVE THOSE?????? WEr not sure what he did w/ them? DAve also
 said BFF started off w/ a song that went "Love is like a rock show.." soes
 anyone know what song that is???
 	It's just great, so hear adn read and now that BFF is getting a
 lot of recognition by other musicians all over the world.And it's also so
 odd to be talking to one of your favorite bands ever about another fav
 band you both like..that's happened a lot. I'm just so cool that way,
 right Linda??? it is too
 bad they don't get the recognitno they deserve,but often the best bands do
 not.

 take off,
 shannon

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:38:47 -0500 (EST)
 From: Shannon McCarthy <semccart@Oakland.edu>
 Subject: A plea To Ben Folds Five

 oh, and incase thier managment does read this or ben or whoever, if the
 band ever does a headlining U.S. tour!!! BFF must return to play at the
 7TH HOUSE in Pontiac, Michigan.......that is the best place in town! woo!

 shannon

     [I agree! -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:40:31 -0500 (EST)
 From: Kristaffer@aol.com
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #175

 I was just wondering if BFF was planing on coming up here to Rochester, Ny in
 say... the next 2 years?

        I tell you what - really shouldn't sit here and whine