Issue #177 - January 30, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #177

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.

Topics for Today:

      New to the Armchair
      The exact date???
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #173
      BF5 fakebook
      Thelonious Monk
      BF5 @ SxSW in austin
      Questions, questions, questions.
      Champagne Supernova
      Power ballad fans unite
      Big hands, small hands, break-them-punching-the-wall hands
      NEW ALBUM
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #173
      i wanna be bennated
      UK tour dates!
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #175
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #174
      Crows concert
      Along the same lines as BFF
      Probably usless information........

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:05:07 -0500 (EST)
 From: Antigone19@aol.com
 Subject: New to the Armchair

 Hello there.  I'm new to this list, but just wanted to introduce myself.
  I've been a BFF fan ever since I saw them open up for Heather Nova in
 November 1995 (my interest in Heather waned, but I kept on loving BFF - and I
 think I saw the Dumped song one of the first times they performed it, maybe?)
  I saw them again in March (I think?) in Boston.  But now I need to ask a
 favor - all I have is the album, Tom and Mary (Live), and Bad Idea (and I
 don't know where thats from - I got it on a mix from a friend) - can anyone
 help me out in getting some B sides or live stuff?  Even though I have no Ben
 Folds Five to trade with, i have TONS of Tori Amos boots (I'm a rabid Tori
 fan), and some other random stuff to offer.  Or I would do a 2:1 trade (I
 send you 2 tapes, you keep one) as I sometimes do for Tori fans.  But I need
 MORE Ben Folds Five and I can't wait for the new album.  I have my cute
 little "handwritten" postcard up on my computer desk, another postcard on the
 wall, and some sort of promo card thing on my dresser.  So I hope I'm welcome
 in the comfy armchair.  Hi.

 - Marla
 (I would ESPECIALLY love a copy of "Chopsticks", the Liz Phair song they
 covered when I saw them)

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 18:16:46 -0600
 From: Chris Barszcz <barsz_ca@students.uwlax.edu>
 Subject: The exact date???

 I just love this publication, I love BFF.  I have no idea what the exact
 date is of their new release??  If any one could help, it would be much
 appreciated!!!!

 The Pack is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 ***Sports &  Wine***

 Chris Barszcz
 barsz_ca@students.uwlax.edu

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:34:14 -0500
 From: Jennifer Delamar <47km67nb@coastalnet.com>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #173

 I love Ben Folds Five, and I have already worn out my new tape in my car.  I
 think it is awesome that they are from Chapel hill, NC, because North
 Carolina gets such a bad rap.  I mean, Jesse Helms doesn't boost any state,
 but you get the picture.  Anyways, I love them and want to see them in
 concert.  I would absolutely die.

 Jennifer Delamar aka Karaoke Queen

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 21:06:27 -0800
 From: Stephen Clay <fender@grove.ufl.EDU>
 Subject: BF5 fakebook

 Frank,
   After receiving the postcard about the new album being done, I decided
 to finally send in my almost-complete fakebook of their debut.  I've
 included it here as an attachment, but if it doesn't get sent right, you
 can DL it from http://grove.ufl.edu/~fender/benfolds.txt
 Whatever you want to do with it, that's fine.  Thanks

    [I won't reproduce it here since it's so long. You can either go
 directly to the url above, or if you have the Ben Folds Five site already
 bookmarked, it's on there in a new section called "Tabs, fakebooks and
 transcriptions". -fjm]

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:05:24 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Marc T." <mjt7742@is2.nyu.edu>
 Subject: Thelonious Monk

 Bluejay is pretty weird,  but that's okay.  I dig what he said
 about the piano and the basketball analogy.  Spud Webb wasn't very tall
 but sure made something out of a pitbull sized player like himself.
 You guys ever heard of Thelonious Monk.  If you haven't I suggest you
 check out the video "Straight No Chaser." Any music fan or musician would
 love it.  This man was unbelievable.  His hands were not very big,
 probably the size of MacEachern who thinks he's got problems, but no
 matter.  He made his own style and at first the critics blew him off, but
 he developed a crowd and they spread the word.  Both his playing and his
 compositions are unique.  No Ben Folds fan should die without having heard
 at least one song of his.  You may even hear some Monk in Ben.  I do.
 Congrats to Bluejay.  It's never too late to gig.
  My band is kicking some major ass of its own here in New York.  Five/8ths
 is the name.  We've been playing the village area and are looking at some
 big labels.

 If anyone on this list is from New York and wants to hear some great music
 come to the NEW MUSIC CAFE on Feb. 8th or write me for more info.

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:01:43 +0000
 From: nancy <ndoodle@ou.edu>
 Subject: BF5 @ SxSW in austin

 hey, just wondering if anybody would happen to know if Benny and
 the guys will be playing at South by Southwest this year. I know last
 year they did, and this year, I most possibly will have the chance to
 work there and would like to know! any help would be appreciated as I've
 not heard from the guys about anything playing there yet!

 thanks all! hope you all had a great holiday!

 nancy doodle!

 Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:40:10 GMT
 From: Gav 'Bob' Parkin <gnp101@york.ac.uk>
 Subject: Questions, questions, questions.

 Hi.
 Just a few questions if anyone can answer them.
 1. How much are tickets to see BFF in England?
 2. Are Barenaked Ladies playing in England at all this year?

 3. Don't y'all think that 'Video Killed the Radio Star' is one hell of a
 song and should be released as a single (even if it is a cover)?

 4. Don't you think that time is dragging waiting for BFF's new album and
 singles?

 Any answers welcomed, Gav.

 +----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 If I had a million dollars, we wouldn't have to walk to the store.
 If I had a million dollars, we'd take a limosine 'cos it costs more.
 If I had a million dollars.
 I'D BE RICH.
                        'If I had $1000000'- Barenaked Ladies

 Date: 28 Jan 1997 16:28:46 -0000
 From: Robert Mcgovern <mcrobert@hotmail.com>
 Subject: Champagne Supernova

 Two People have now mentioned the cover version of Champagne Supernova
 that BF5 have done. A few Questions....

 1)  Is this true?

 2) Will it be released as a b-side?

 3) What single will it be the b-side to?

 4) And where the hell can I get my hands on a bloody copy of it!
 *****Rob McGovern******

 *****McRobert@Hotmail.com*******

 PS. Thanks To People who replied to my letter about B-sides.  They know who
 they are!!

 P.S.S   If any one out in the States is an Oasis fan then Please let me Know I
 have all the singles with B-sides, a bootleg, a documentry from Radio 1, and
 other unreleased material.

 Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:46:48 -0500 (EST)
 From: Rhubarbguy@aol.com
 Subject: Power ballad fans unite

 << Maybe Frank could confirm this-did the "Risky Encore" from Ziggy's make
   the disc?  (ANy body from the 8/18 Ziggy's show know the name of the
   song-sounded kinda Jackson-Brownish at points and the chorus contained
   the line "I lost my heart"

 It is called "Evaporated" and it is the last song on the US version of the
 new album.

 Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:52:47 -0500 (EST)
 From: Brad654@aol.com
 Subject: Big hands, small hands, break-them-punching-the-wall hands

 << I don't think the skill of a person is dependent on how big their hands
 are.
   I don't think Ben Folds is a good piano player because he can play 10ths.
   All that means is that his hands are big enough.... I can understand that
 one
   might want a smaller size keyboard so that they can play 10ths or whatever
   that they can't do on a regular keyboard.... But I don't see 10ths popping
 up
   in music all that often.... So don't play tenths. >>

 Maybe this is from left field, but tenths DO show up. Elevenths and twelfths,
 too. Not to step on Daniel H's toes, but I say DO play tenths. Roll them if
 you have to. Franz Listz is rumored to have been able to play 16ths, and his
 music reflects that-- HUGE reaches. I can't play them, and my concert-pianist
 wife CERTAINLY can't-- she has little, petite, wife hands. So we roll them.
 Sure, it doesn't sound like it would if Lizst or Chopin or Rachmaninoff
 played them, but so what? I'm not Lizst or Chopin or Rachmaninoff.

 And if I may digress here, I believe that the music should be an expression
 of the performer, not the composer or Ben Folds. When I play "Boxing," while
 I am expressing what Ben expresses through the lyrics, my playing is
 different, because I'm not Ben. Sometimes I wish I were, but I'm not. So
 trying to play exactly like him is impossible, and I think, an exercise in
 garage band aping.

 I've always hated cover bands who play it exactly like it was on the record.
 note Ben's "Video Killed..." It doesn't sound like whoever the original
 artist was, because Ben and Darren and Robert have done heir own thing with
 it.

 Didn't mean to rant. Just my opinion.

 brad

 Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:49:54 +0900 (JST)
 From: ISHIMORI <ishimori@cauchy.nslab.ntt.co.jp>
 Subject: NEW ALBUM

  Hey guys,

 I am sending this mail from Japan.  The new album with bonus track
 will be released only in Japan on 5th Feb .  I am surprised with such
 a good information.  But Japan tour is not decided, yet.

    Does anybody know when the band comes to Japan ?

 ISHIMORI

 Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:55:47 +0100
 From: George and Teresa Taylor <gtaylor@ols.net>

 > Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 00:45:14 -0500 (EST)
 > From: THE YANKEE <mcdonpj3@wfu.edu>
 > Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #172
 ...snip...snip...snip...
 > >               How many of me would it take to screw up your life?
 > Frank-which song is this from?
 >                                 Patrick J. McDonough
 >
 >    [It's from an unreleased song called "Kalamazoo". And I don't believe
 > "Risky Encore" is on the new CD. -fjm]
 Yup, Kalamazoo is from the Majosha tape "Shut Up and Listen to Majosh" Ben
 played almost everything on that tape. Evan from Bus Stop played guitar on
 a few tracks and sang on a song or two.

 george

 ttfn,
 george & teresa taylor
 8(:-)          :}

 gtaylor@ols.net
 g_taylor@forsyth.lib.nc.us (George only)
 http://www.ols.net/~gtaylor

 Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 02:31:51 -0500 (EST)
 From: JBecervza@aol.com
 Subject: i wanna be bennated

 ben folds five kept me happy while my girlfriend was in russia in july-sept
 of 95. i heard them on the cable music satellite station DMX and tried to buy
 the cd at several music stores in tucson. I ended up having to drive to
 phoenix to get the cd in early august. i saw ben folds play live at our own
 club congress here, and even met the band. i had ben sign my little sister's
 cd case because it was a 21 and over show. Ben was so cool and wrote
 something about wishing she was there.... but he seemed really intimidated by
 me. i told him how me and my brother, who i introduced, played music and
 really admired his songwriting ability.he thanked me as he got his shirts and
 stuff out of the way, and just kind of disappeared after that. that  was my
 little brush with ben greatness...just got the postcard and a computer last
 month(by my own, mind you, mi own feliz navi dad) so i thought i should join
 this.

 Date: Wed, 29 Jan 97 9:35:10 -0000
 From: Simon Burrows INF-KB <sburrows@madge.com>
 Subject: UK tour dates!

  Yes! 'Battle of Who Can Care Less' is out in the Uk on Feb 10th.

  Yes! Tour starts March 2nd, calling Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester,
      Norwich, London, Sheffield, Bristol and Wolverhampton.

 Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:24:45 -0500 (EST)
 From: Hacky33@aol.com
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #175

 Does it just really suck that alot of people have B-sides that i can't get my
 hands on because I havn't a thing to trade if someone wants to help a really
 big BBF fan and send me some live tracks (i.e. Video killed the radio star) I
 would love you forever.
 Whatever and Amen is just waiting to get to me. bye bye Hacky33@aol.com.
 p.s. BBF live just rules, they are good at shows.

 Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 02:01:36 -0600
 From: "Ryan D. Elder" <relder@macalester.edu>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #174

 I would like to congratulate the people of Australia on their excellent
 taste.  At least one country on this wretched planet knows what's up.
 Thanks again.

 _______________________
      Ryan Elder
 relder@macalester.edu
 _______________________

 Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:43:17 -0600 (CST)
 From: Cool Hand Luke <gb0709@broncho.ucok.edu>
 Subject: Crows concert

 I recently (last night) went to the counting crows concert.  It was
 counting crows alright.  Halfway through I wish they would play Uncle
 Walter or some Ben Folds Five song or even a Flaming Lip's song (to who
 they give special thanks to on their new CD).  I am ready to see Ben
 Folds Five in OKC.  PLEASE!

 Gregor Brown

 Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:21:19 GMT
 From: Andy Hewitt <mbcx6adh@mh2.mcc.ac.uk>
 Subject: Along the same lines as BFF

 It has come to my notice that Ben Folds Five , despite being my
 favourite band , are rather alone in a category in my music
 collection . In other words I normally like bands such as Live and
 Bush . I like Counting Crows and Dave Matthews Band too , and they
 are the closest that I can find to BFF that I like and have the
 albums to .
 So , the question is :
 Can anybody recommend bands along the same lines or in a similar
 style to Ben Folds Five as I love BFF so much that I will probably
 like the others too ?

 I know BFF have a style all of their own , but I'm sure you know what
 I'm on about .

 Andy Hewitt

 Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 06:18:53 -0800 (PST)
 From: Robert Mcgovern <mcrobert@hotmail.com>
 Subject: Probably usless information........

 Hi there,  just some info I just thougt you might like to know.

 In the January Edition of NME(New Musical Express) on the charts lists, Ben
 Folds Five Sneeked into the Indie  Charts at Number 30 below artists such as
 The Bluetones, Placebo, Ash and Oasis. **Excellent Job Fellas**

 Also In the Febuary issue of the NME in the section called Record News. The
 following was said about the new album.
 _________________

 BEN FOLD FIVE: Whatever and Ever Amen(Sony) Depending on how you look at it,
 more miserable faffing around, or another LP of witty tunes from this North
 Carolina-based trio-out Monday

 What the Hell is that supposed to mean? miserable faffing about? I don't think
 I could describe any of their music as miserable.

 Anyway Looking forward to the New single and the Manchester Gig. Hopefully,
 I'll try and give some kind of review of the show.

 Later,
                       Rob

                   I wish I hadn't bought you dinner