Issue #186 - February 19, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #186

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.

Topics for Today:

      the smiths
      Massachusetts.
      Re:taping policy
      Fair go
      Ben Folds Five UK tour cancelled
      Indie Kids - Who cares??
      The new album
      Anyone else in WV?
      Thank you to all of you gracious folks!
      BEN FOLDS FIVE ON MAMMOTH COMPILATION!!!
      New Album...song favorites?
      BoWCCL Single in US
      More about the New Orleans show
      The New Singles!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Question and stuff
      BF5 in Musician/on KCRW CD
      BFF - Astoria Gig
      1-888-BENFOLDS5
      BFF Dallas Airplay
      Ben Fold fans...please read! =o)
      Ben Folds Five

 Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:08:23 -0500 (EST)
 From: PhairTwo@aol.com
 Subject: the smiths

 to leah:  yes, i like the smiths and morrissey. they are very cool. and i
 love paul simon's "graceland."  that's all for now.

 -bess

 Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:06:37 -0500
 From: Fred Antonangeli <fantonan@bcn.net>
 Subject: Massachusetts.

 Well, it's been quite some time since I've posted here, mostly just
 reading everything being said. Actually, today, because I've been at
 school for the past three weeks I had quite a bit o' catching up to do,
 I think I had to read like 10 Armchairs. Anyhoo..I digress from the task
 at hand. First, a little story..the other night, Thursday to be exact,
 my roommate and I were getting ready to go out, and both of us were
 quite glum, it being V-Day the following day and neither of us having a
 valentine...I popped in some BF5 and presto...smiles abounded in the
 room and we were just hopping around singing our little hearts out.
 Moving on..I was just wondering if anyone from the Amherst,
 Massachusetts area subscribes to this thing or if I was the lone Amherst
 person. It would be nice to talk to people about BF5 for a change and
 not have to face puzzled looks from people. Also..is anyone here going
 to the BNL show at Pearl Street on Wednesday, Feb. 19th? I was going to
 go, but none of my friends would go with me, so I kind of decided not to
 go..I just want to know how the show turns out..so if anyone is, you can
 drop me a line at santonan@student.umass.edu.

 -Sarah :)

 Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:26:34 -0500
 From: Shaun Gilmour <sgilmour@pgh.net>
 Subject: Re:taping policy

 >Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:03:18 -0500
  >From: Jon Lax <jon_lax@grey.net>
  >Subject: Taping Policy
  >
  >I see a lot of grovels for tapes of BFF shows. I have been taping     (only
  >with band permission) live shows for 5 years. I would love to tape BFF
  >and seed a tree for this mailing list but what is the band policy for
  >non-commercial taping of their shows? Does anyone know?

 They allow taping at any of THEIR shows. Meaning if they are headlining. I asked Darren about
 this when they played here in Pittsburgh last year. They don't allow board patches but they
 do allow mic set-ups and decks into their shows.

 Later,
 Shaun
 sgilmour@pgh.net

 visit my tapelist on the web at
 http://www3.pgh.net/~sgilmour/tapes.html

 Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:10:04 +1100
 From: Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>
 Subject: Fair go

 > band, radio guest spots, live shows, BF5 rarities...ect...do we get a turn
 > to show our enjoyment of the band?...i buy the records, i join the mailing
 > list, i would most definatly buy a ticket to see a gig...

    Here here Alex.  I think someone needs to do something about this great
 injustice!!!  We support the band soooo much and get nothing in return!!!
 Not even a mention on the radio...  Except for that unexpected no.3 in JJJ's
 hottest 100.  JJJ better start playing that new single.  If not, BFF maybe
 lost in Australia forever!!!

 Ad.

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 %      Ad      %
 %Yeah and stuff%
 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:32:08 -0800
 From: Ian Smith <ian@elision.demon.co.uk>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five UK tour cancelled
 The guy that ordered my BFF tickets told me that the tour had
 been cancelled over here - do you know anything more?

 Date: Mon, 17 Feb 97 9:29:05 -0000
 From: Simon Burrows INF-KB <sburrows@madge.com>
 Subject: Indie Kids - Who cares??

 Please,

 Lets not let  the excellent Magical Armchair degenerate into stuff like
 this:

 " I have not  met ONE person who likes Radiohead and not MSP/ Stone Roses
 - NOT overrated at all!"

 Souns like 'my groups are better than your groups..na-na-na-na.' Tell us
 who you like and leave it at that!

 Ceddy
 sburrows@madge.com

 Ps For the record, I thought all Ben Folds Five Fans liked old Queen,
 Billy Joel, and Dean Friedman? (And Andrew Gold, he of 'Lonely Boy'
 fame).

 Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:32:01 +0100
 From: Xander du Bois <iksman@pi.net>
 Subject: The new album

 So finally, last Saturday, I bought the new album. Having so much looked
 forward to it, I must say I am a little bit disappointed. I think the
 production is a little bit weak. It all sounds to ‘over-produced’ and soft
 to me. I loved the sound of the first album, it was much more honest.
 Especially Ben’s piano sounds much more dynamic on it. Last week I saw BF5
 on TV (‘2-meter sessies’ on Dutch national television). They played ‘Song
 for the dumped’. I thought that was really fantastic. Now I hear the same
 song on their new album and it sounds not half as good. That’s a pity,
 because it’s really a great song.  I also think there are to many slow
 songs on the album. I don’t really like ‘Brick’, ‘Smoke’ and ‘Evaporated’.
 There are also a lot of great songs. I really love "One Angry Dwarf….’,
 "Stevens Last Night….", "Battle of Who……", "Kate" and "Song for the
 Dumped".  I think it’s a good album, much better then almost everything
 else that is being released, but I just think they can do better than
 this. I think the biggest problem is that there is not a song as good as
 'Philosophy' or 'Underground' on it. Maybe if I get to know it better it
 will grow, but I loved their first album from the first time I heard it. I
 hope their next album will live up to my expectations. Until then I will
 enjoy this album a lot, but their debut-album even more.

 Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:52:04 -0500
 From: crussel4@wvu.edu
 Subject: Anyone else in WV?

 Hello all! This is my first time writing to this list, but I have been
 reading for several months. Just wanted to say how appreciative I am of this
 list to keep me up-to-date on BF5 issues. Just curious if there is anyone
 near the beautiful state of West Virginia (WVU in particular) listening to
 Ben and Co.'s phenomenal sound? Everyone I play the old album for loves it,
 and most ask where they can pick up a copy. Can't wait to hear the new
 album, and find out if there are any dates for the East Coast (Pittsburgh,
 D.C., etc.)! Later...

 Quote of The Day:
 "I'm not taking my clothes off for anyone... even if it is artistic!"
      -The Muppets Take Manhattan

 Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:46:10 -0500 (EST)
 From: berlinme@student.lansing.cc.mi.us
 Subject: Thank you to all of you gracious folks!

 	I just wanted to say a hearty "thanks" to everyone who helped to
 clear up the whole confusion over the Majosha/Pots and Pans fiasco.  You
 are too kind!  I will now be able to sleep at night.
 	Btw, I just got this month's CMJ and the new song whups!  I love
 it!  I can't wait until the new album comes out.  But in the meantime, the
 new Michael Penn comes out tomarrow(finally! after 5 long years!), the new
 Freedy Johnston(spelled Freddy Johnson at the local Tower Records) comes
 out next Tuesday, and the new Morphine is supposedly coming out March 11.
 This is bliss!

 Melanie Berlin

 "What modern man is a man of the sea?  Only Fabio."
               ------Lisa Carver

 Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:06:12 -0500
 From: Andrea Merrifield <hapfield@mix-NET.net>
 Subject: BEN FOLDS FIVE ON MAMMOTH COMPILATION!!!

 ben folds five appears on a compilation of live trax called "KCRW Rare on
 Air Vol. 3" (released by mammoth records) .all the songs were recorded at
 an LA radio station. other contributers include fiona apple (YEAH!!!!) and
 patti smith...... oh yeah the track out boyz do is "alice
 childress"........

 Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:50:49 EST
 From: john_oc@juno.com
 Subject: New Album...song favorites?

 Hi to all...just posting again...I am going to play the entire album on
 my next radio show on 101.5 the Rock in Columbus, Ohio...I  just got the
 import version of the album from Japan today(Monday).  My show is Sunday
 at 9, so if you are in the Columbus, I will be playing BFF for the whole
 hour.

 To the Cleveland post...I call Hudson, Ohio my home when not at College
 here at Otterbein...Hudson is 30 min south of Cleveland.

 On to the new album.  Two words...rock on.  The song that is my current
 favorite is Steven's Last Night in Town...but that will surely change.  I
 like Brick alot, Smoke and Battle are also early favorites...and the
 Japanese version of Song for the Dumped is quite cool.  Once
 again...Ben's masterful keystrokes amaze me.

 Yours in Ben,

 John Boyer
 Otterbein College
 101.5 the ROCK DJ and News Director
 Columbus fans...email me...we can set up a listening party.

 "So much time, so little to say" - Ben Folds

 Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:58:48 -0500 (EST)
 From: Ned Norland <nnorland@eden.rutgers.edu>
 Subject: BoWCCL Single in US

 I just wanted to mention to all of the US folks that haven't heard the new
 song that all the radio stations in the nation should have recieved the
 promo single for BoWCCL this past week, containing the album version and a
 "fuckless version"...so everyone can call and request it...

 as for the song itself, its a groovy song, but there's very little chance
 that it'll be a hit :/ too VH1

 -ned

 -nednorland           nnorland@eden.rutgers.edu
 http://members.tripod.com/~nnorland/index.html
 julie christie the rumours are true-yo la tengo

 Date: 17 Feb 1997 21:27:08 CST
 From: rosaliem@bbs.exoticomm.com
 Subject: More about the New Orleans show

 At the show in New Orleans 2/13, the band sang a song called "Gimme my
 money back, you bitch," which I assumed was a cut off the new album.
 Turns out, that according to this New Orleans music magazine called
 Offbeat, "Gimme my money back, you bitch," is a traditional Mardi Gras
 song by the Treme Brass Band.

 This was interesting to me because 1), I had never heard of it, and 2),
 when Adam Duritz of Counting Crows was down here 3 weeks ago, he went to
 the Treme Jazz Hall to listen to some of the bands there.

 The band's version of this song was hilarious :)

 I also forgot to mention that they did a cover of "Vaseline," the
 Flaming Lips song...Darren sang it!!!

   ["Gimme my money back" is Song For The Dumped, which is on the new
 album. I doubt that it's a traditional Mardi Gras song... -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:21:01 -0800 (PST)
 From: Robert Mcgovern <mcrobert@hotmail.com>
 Subject: The New Singles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 Thought i'd send you all(especially any non uk readers) a run down of the tracks
 that are on the new singles.
 I'm not sure which is CD1 or CD2 since there is no indication on the covers.
 Anyway here are the track listings for both.

 1)Battle for who could care less
 2)Hava Nagila(Live)
 3)For those of ya'll who wear fannie packs

 1)Battle of who could care less
 2)Champagne supernova(Live)
 3)Theme from "Dr. Pyser".

 "Battle of who could care less" is pretty much the same as the one played
 on the radio except for the line " I've got this great idea/why don't we
 pitch it to the Franklin fuckin'....(Something).  [Mint. -fjm]

 "Hava Nagila" is taken from a recording taken at The Marx in Hamburg,
 Germany, November 5, 1996. It's a jewish song and is sung by ben in
 hebrew(Is Ben from a Jewish background?).Length (1.33)

 "For those of ya'll who wear fannie packs" is........well what can I
 say......Hilarious and Mental. This track is (6.05) long and is best
 described as "A ben folds five rap song". I begins with someone stepping
 on Bens hand(?) and ends with the the recording staff abandoning the
 studio and leaving the guys in fits of laughter. There's lots of swearing
 and stupid rap terminology like"I'd like to give a shout out to my main
 man in LA","My boy sledge on the bass, MotherF***er"and"Gimme some of that
 tasty HI-hat". One of them even does a rap pretending to have no teeth and
 one band member does an impression of someone called Bernie("I'm sorry I
 can't give you anymore monitor than that...")In some parts it even sounds
 similar to some Beastie Boy tracks.

 "Champagne Supernova" is (Unfortunatly) only (1.33) long but is still
 great fun. One of the band members describes it as "An old American
 standard". It's sung in a southern accent with a real twang.

 Finally "Theme from 'Dr.Pyser' " is a great little instumental number.
 Very jazzy with some nice harmonies. It's (2.02) minutes long. These last
 two recording were recorded live from LA2 in London on 26th of November
 1996. (By the way does anybody know what 'Dr. Pyser' is?Film or Television
 show?I haven't got a clue)

 Anyway thats it really these will keep me going until March 3rd. Hopefully
 I'll try to learn most of the words from the album since i'll be seeing
 them live on the 5th.

 Till then........Peace.

 P.S. Each single has on it the symbol of two hands pointing their fingers
 making the letter "W". Is this a refernce to the new album?Anyone?

 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:34:53 -0600 (CST)
 From: samuel jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
 Subject: Question and stuff

 Hi, my name is Sam and I'm from the suburbs of the Chicago.  I was once a
 depressed music fan moping over the loss of Freddie Mercury and the break up
 of Jellyfish until I heard Ben Folds Five on the listening station at
 Best Buy.  About 30 seconds into Jackson Cannery, I just knew that this
 was my new favorite band and from that moment on, I have been as giddy as
 ever.

 I have been reading this digest since September but I haven't posted for a
 while but I have been making some serious trades with fellow
 Armchairers.  Thanks to this digest, namely Frank and to the kindness of
 fellow Ben Folds Five fans, I have been able to put together a collection
 of great music, including live shows, demos, and various other rarities.
 I guess I just wanna say thanks to all of you for helping me out.  Long
 live the Armchair (and Ben Folds Five too).

 So on to my question...
 I was listening to one of my bootlegs (Hoboken, New Jersey 1/18/96) last
 night and at the end of the Freebird jam, Ben sings "Forever and ever,
 amen".  Is this a part of the real Freebird song?  Did Ben get the idea
 of the album title from "Freebird"?  All you Skynard fans out there, it's
 time to speak up (that's not me as you all can tell however,
 "Tuesday's Gone" is a great tune).

 Also, whoever wants to help me out, I'm looking for some Majosha to add
 to my collection.  If you're interested in trading, drop me a line.

 Lastly (I promise): Chuck, I've been looking for copies of Bus Stop
 recordings and I haven't been able to find sh*t.  Any tips on where I can
 get my hands on some of your stuff?

 Thanks for reading all...

 Sam Lewis

 No quote, just a prayer:  Come to the Midwest Ben, Darren and Robert.
 			  Halleluyah, whatever and ever, amen!

 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 14:57:47
 From: bminnick@locrscs.LEGIS.STATE.PA.US
 Subject: BF5 in Musician/on KCRW CD

  I saw the other day where Musician magazine is going to do a feature on Ben
  Folds Five in its April issue. Also, on Feb. 25, KCRW Rare on Air Vol. III is
  to be released and contains BF5 doing Alice Childress, about which producer
  Chris Douridas is said to have remarked: "Their session was great. They did a
  lot of rockin' stuff, which for some reason sounded better in our one-room
  studio than other rockin' bands."

     [Any Santa Monicans: is there an address, phone or net contact for
 KCRW to order this? -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:37:45 GMT
 From: Nia <and196@soton.ac.uk>
 Subject: BFF - Astoria Gig

 Hi there everyone,
 	I'd say well done & keep up the good work & I love
 knowing I'm not the only one in this country who's into the
 best band ever & its my 1st ever posting as I only just got
 to know about M.A. & the BFF websites but instead I'll just
 get straight to the point:
 1)Is anyone supporting them @ the March 7th Astoria gig in
 London?
 2)Can I get posters there or elsewhere?
 3)Whoever got the sneak preview of the W&EA album can you
 send me a copy?
 4)Are Chuck Fold's band's CDs available in the UK?
 		well bye
 			Nia.
 4)What're my chances of meeting the band?

 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:06:29 -0400
 From: Dylan Tisdall <dtisdall@mv.igs.net>
 Subject: 1-888-BENFOLDS5

 Hi,

 I just dialed 1-888-BENFOLDS5 to order and received a "this number cannot
 be reached from your calling area" message. I know I'm in Canada, but don't
 we deserve SOME service up here?

 Anyway, I don't want to send a cheque in the mail if I don't have to, so
 does anyone know if there is an order number that can be dialed from
 Canada? I don't mind if its long distance.

 Thanks!

 TTFN!
 Dylan

 --
 I'm pleading the 5th on the grounds that a signature might incriminate me.

 Email: dtisdall@mv.igs.net
 WWW: http://mv.igs.net/~ptisdall/Dylan/

 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:55:42 -0600
 From: Christopher Machart <cmvox1@airmail.net>
 Subject: BFF Dallas Airplay

 I know this is probably old news but I heard "Battle" for the first
 time  on the radio.  Redbeard played it on the Q102's New Rock Preview,
 a radio show I tape every time it's on to keep up with the new tunes.
 Well,  completely by accident,  I ended up getting the song on tape and
 have listened to it a few times now.

 They're sound is amazing.  It's a little more polished and tight,
 stacked vocals on the chorus'.  None of the instruments truley stand
 out, it's more of a combined sound.   What a great song.  I can't wait
 'til the CD comes out, I can't wait 'til the Band comes to Dallas and
 plays for us live,  "Oh what fun, I can't wait 'til the future gets
 here."

 Christopher

 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 02:37:32 -0500 (EST)
 From: FineExampl@aol.com
 Subject: Ben Fold fans...please read! =o)

 Hi everybody!
 i wanted you all to know whats been going on!
 I recently have posted a web music related site for myself that is going to
 be updated with all the info i come across!  I WILL POST ALL BF5 RUMORS AND
 FACTS I FIND!  i already have posted the BF5LYRIC.TXT file that many of you
 have asked for! it has all the lyrics from the first CD and most of the songs
 from the second CD and MORE!!!!!!!!  no, i didnt compile it completely by
 myself....i found it on the web!  but stop by and get the thing or look at it
 anyway!  i have lots of interesting things that will be posted shortly! hell,
 what i already have is pretty good!  Look for a Whatever And Ever record
 review by the end of the week!  i will even have the rest of the lyrics as
 soon as i figure them out!  i also will have my collection of rock photos
 scanned and web ready ASAP including my whole roll of BF5 pics!!!!  i might
 even for the heck of it scan the song list Ben gave after the show!

 anyway, email me anytime or drop by the Web Site!
 always,
 JOhn Hartman   NJ USA

     [How about a url? (No, I didn't clip his .sig!) -fjm]

 Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:28:03 -0500 (CDT)
 From: EBERT@cpg.mcw.edu
 Subject: Ben Folds Five

 I just recently stumbled upon the BFF web page, so I'm new to the digest.  I
 have a question about the BBS (bulletin board): is anyone else having problems
 posting to this?  I get stuck for forever while I'm waiting for it to submit,
 and then I get an error message saying something about missing parentheses.

 Just a quote out of context,
 Erokk

 Eric Ebert - MCW/Information Systems	Phone   : (414)456-5283
 Systems Trainer				E-mail  : ebert@cpg.mcw.edu
 11200 W Plank Court			FAX     : (414)266-8843
 Milwaukee, WI 53226			"The Truth is Out There."

                        I still got beat up after class