Issue #189 - March 4, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #189

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.

   [Apologies to all for the long delay between issues. I was out of town
for a while. Hopefully this did not result in too much confusion,
especially among the new listmembers who thought they were joining a
"dead" list. Far from it! -fjm]

Topics for Today:

      BFF Similarities
      A Question About A Song...
      re: KCRW comp
      BF5: FS: Bus Stop CD
      Lyrics to THE BATTLE....
      IRC Channel?
      CMJ...Certain Damage
      BFF - Taping at Shows, Jellyfish fans?
      I"m hearing the new song now!!!!!
      ben folds five in minneapolis.
      bf5 on rare on air
      new to bff mailing list
      New album on the album chart in Japan
      BFF hit UK chart at 26
      BoWCCL Lyrics
      Re: BFF Fans and Musical Diversity, MA187
      Gimme My Money Back, You Bitch
      Crash Landing
      Phoenix dates and radio
      various scrawlings
      alice childress
      Re: Franklin Mint lyrics
      Fresh from Japan, the CD RULES!!!!

 Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:49:17 -0500 (EST)
 From: LILEUPHIE@aol.com
 Subject: BFF Similarities

 Ben Folds Five is the first group I've gotten really excited about since They
 Might Be Giants appeared ten years ago.  (Has it been that long?)  Given
 their unique sound (arguably the only true alternative in the dreary
 "alternative" marketing technique) reviews of their first album often compare
 them to other groups.  Here are my picks for other music acts BFF reminds me
 of...

 *They Might Be Giants (wide musical pallate and high reedy voice)
 *XTC (crafty ironic lyrics, counter-intuitive melodies)
 *Cole Porter (twisty chord progressions, good vocabulary)
 *ELO (jubilant, technically proficient and they both make musical allusions
 to "Rhapsody In Blue")

 Pat & Tara McComb

 Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 19:54:18 -0500 (EST)
 From: Antigone19@aol.com
 Subject: A Question About A Song...

 Hi guys.  I was poking through an old copy of CMJ that I found under our
 couch and there's a section that lists a person's mix tape.  One song listed
 is "Ben Folds Five - "Pink On White Walls".  What is this?  Please email me
 privately if you know.

 ALSO - 2 different people emailed me about trading tapes and then POOF
 disappeared :(  What happened?  Please write again (especially the other
 Rabid Tori Fan!)

 I must have Hava Negila.  I must.  Aside from Tori, I rarely splurge on
 import singles, but these two seem like must haves.

 AND TO THE PEE SHY FAN - YAY!  They're adorable and I recently spotted many
 copies of the album for *sigh* 99 cents at Disc Diggers in Somerville, MA -
 its worth much more than that!

 Marla - Antigone19@aol.com
 Order my zine! Rats Live On No Evil Star #8, out now, $1 & 2 stamps or a
 trade to:
 Marla, PO Box 333, BU Station, Boston, MA 02215-9991

 Date: Tue, 25 Feb 97 20:59:00 PST
 From: Matt Wardlaw <matt@wmms.com>
 Subject: re: KCRW comp

 The KCRW is on Mammoth and can be ordered by any retailer...or you can get
 it straight from KCRW at their website:  www.kcrw.org.  It is part 3 of the
 Rare on Air series.

 hope this helps...

 Matt

 Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 20:59:06 -0500 (EST)
 From: Tom Lavery <tlavery@emerald.tufts.edu>
 Subject: BF5: FS: Bus Stop CD

 	Hi.  I'm asking $12 including shipping for the Bus Stop CD.
 Btw, the new BF5 video is on 120 minutes Sunday.

 thanks
 tom lavery

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 02:09:37 -0500 (EST)
 From: KRI1701@aol.com
 Subject: Lyrics to THE BATTLE....

  There appears to be som confusion about the lyrics regarding the Franklin
 Mint.  As a trained Asst. Manager in one of thier retail locations, I will
 offer my hearing of the words.

 I've got this great idea/
 Why don't we pitch it to the Franklin @#$%*& Mint/
 Fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Boredom singin' Whatever
 and ever Amen

 I had no troulble understanding this line, but then again I work with the
 fine collectible objects of ART that are offered for sale by the Franklin
 Mint.  Hope this helps.

 Ken--Waiting for the new BFF album--and hoping someone will post a way to get
 a copy of the Japanese import

 Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 23:18:10 +0000
 From: Matt Tabor <tabor@televar.com>
 Subject: IRC Channel?

 I thought I remembered seeing something about an IRC channel for
 BF5..
 Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what is the channel and
 where?

 I got to listen to the new single.  (I work at a college radio
 station)  I like it!!  It's great!!  I've only heard twice, both
 times I've been on the air and played it.  COOL STUFF!!
 It fits in with the old stuff, but is still different enough to know
 that it is new!!  I can't wait for tha album..
 I'll have to give a better review after I listen to it a few more
 times..

 TTYL
 Matt
 Chilling autumn rains
 curtain Mount Fuji, then make it
 more beautiful to see.
                          -- Basho

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 01:35:37 -0600 (CST)
 From: Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
 Subject: CMJ...Certain Damage

 Hey all,
 	I have seen a lot of people mentioning that BFF single comes with
 the new CMJ mag, and my college radio station gets that mag, so can
 someone tell me what volume of Certain Damage (I think that is the name of
 the CD that comes with CMJ) has the single because I can't seem to find it
 anywhere.

 Thanks

 Adam DeLisse

 I'm Buddha!!
 -Jane Lu

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 02:46:40 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Joshua D. Bernstein" <bernstein.30@osu.edu>
 Subject: BFF - Taping at Shows, Jellyfish fans?

 First of all, let me introduce myself.  I'm new to the list, and was very
 pleased to find so many other like-minded BFF Fans.  This brings me to my
 first point.

 I'm a big Dave Matthews Band fan.  DMB allows taping at their shows, and
 before they "went big" so to speak, they even allowed soundboard patches.
 What's BFF's policy about this?  In any case, I'd be interested in obtaining
 some BFF shows, if they're floating around out there.  As I've only been to
 one of their shows, I don't know how much they vary their setlist.  Can
 anyone lend insight on that?

 Secondly, I keep hearing a similar story to my own, so it's worth repeating.
 When I first heard "Underground," I swore that Jellyfish got back together
 and were playing this song.  Of course, I found out later that it was BFF,
 got the album, went to a show, etc - it's been love ever since.  Anyway,
 though I see the obvious similarities between BFF and Jellyfish, doesn't it
 still seem strange how many times they've been compared?  I mean, it's
 almost a little weird.

 Take care,
 Josh

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 02:01:21 -0600
 From: jbuff@uit.net
 Subject: I"m hearing the new song now!!!!!

 KLZR 105.9 the Lazer in LAwrence, KAnsas is playing the new song quite
 abit.  I don't get the station very clearly in my car, so the sound
 isn't great, but I like what I hear.  It sounds a little different from
 the last album in the fact that the piano isn't quite as strong, or
 there isn't a real driving, hard piano line.  I don't know, something.

 Anyway, when I hear it, I'm reminded of another band.  I wonder if
 anyone else hears the similarity.......Pursuit of Happiness......
 Well, do you hear it??? Huh? Huh?

 Take Care!
 Brett

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 02:48:01 -0600
 From: "Clasen, Benjamin P" <BPCLASEN@CSBSJU.EDU>
 Subject: ben folds five in minneapolis.

 Help!  Wow.  I didnt know there were so many bff'ers in the minneapolis/st.
 paul area.  I would give anything to see them.  Im just mad that I got into
 them after their first ave show.  If you have ANY tapes - bootlegs or anything,
 please let me know.  I dont have anything to trade, but I will pay cash...
  also- if bff eve makes it to the twin cities and anyone has any info, lett me
 know.

 bpclasen@csbsju.edu

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 09:45:42 -0600
 From: Geoffrey McNulty <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: bf5 on rare on air

 hey folks, I'm going to be writing a review for the rare on air vol. 3 album
 soon (which features bf5's "alice childress") and i'll send it in to the
 armchair as soon as it's done.  btw, the version on rare on air3 sounds
 almost exactly like the album version, except the production is a little
 cleaner (not bed for a tape recorder).  check ya' later.

 geoff

 Geoffrey McNulty            |           "Without you
 Entertainment Writer        |   it's not as much fun
 gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu  |  to pick up the pieces."
 (608) 264-0123              |         --Trent Reznor

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:04:20 -0500 (EST)
 From: Straat@aol.com

 howdie im new to this mailing list so i thought i would say hello. hello. ive
 been into ben folds five for over a year now but i never learned about this
 mailing list until like three days ago. you guys seem really nice compared to
 some of the other mailing  lists ive been on (weezer). hopefully today i am
 going to get the new cmj so i can here bowccl.tonight is gonna rock i cant
 wait for the video. well i must go. email me. i want boots. Do they sell the
 singles at that ben folds hotline. i called once expecting a recording and
 when someone picked up i was very surprised and said bye because "im not
 ready to talk to a human"
 frank gilbert lyon 2nd

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:14:27 -0500
 From: Toru Kurihara <tkuri@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: New album on the album chart in Japan

 BFF new album hit No.6 of Japanese national chart. I think you could see
 that on the international charts of Billboard magazine.

 The new album was released last weekend in Japan already. Not only BFF,
 but any other musicians' new album release, interview and ad is always
 earlier then in the U.S. A month earlier, I think.

 Kuri

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 17:14:34 +0000
 From: Paul Mawdsley <pmm26@cam.ac.uk>
 Subject: BFF hit UK chart at 26

 Hi All,

 Just thought I'd let you know that 'The Battle of Who Could Care Less' has
 gone on to the UK Top 40 singles chart at 26. There are a couple of singles
 charts over here, but this one, based on sales alone, is generally
 considered as the official chart, and is broadcast on Radio 1.

 With a chart position like that the single should continue to get a fair
 bit of airtime, so could well stick around for quite a bit. Yipee!

 Paul.

 PS - Is the LA2 gig still on? If so, does anyone from the list who is going
 want to meet up for a drink before hand?

 Paul Mawdsley                           Peterhouse
                                         Cambridge
 pmm26@cam.ac.uk                         CB2 1RD

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:43:18 -0000
 From: Tom Whitaker <tom@tw.prestel.co.uk>
 Subject: BoWCCL Lyrics

 Someone wrote:
 Can someone help me (and Andy Hewitt) clear this up. The lyrics in that
 bit, as far as I can fathom, are "I've got this great idea/ Why don't we
 pitch it to the Franklin f***in' Mint / 5 Year....... of general apathy
 and major boredom"... So, what is tha t
 missing word/phrase. The best I can make out is "apportionates", but I
 don't even think that's a word, let alone know what it means (although I
 could make a stab).

 I thought it was :
 'Five metre portraits'

 Anyway, the lyrics are in the album, so could we get a witness?

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:31:20 -0000
 From: Tom Whitaker <tom@tw.prestel.co.uk>
 Subject: Re: BFF Fans and Musical Diversity, MA187

 I wrote:
 >  PS : Does anyone here like Celine Dion and Hootie....?

 You wrote:
 Um, it's the PS
  that worries me.  As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing I can see
  in Hootie making it big is that they're freeing up Columbia clubs for much
  better SC and NC bands (Is that considered a flame? Don't know much 'bout
  Netiquette).  But seriously, you aim a Scud missile at South Carolina and
  hit at least ten bands better then Hootie (except maybe Edwin McCain).
  Please check out http://www.scmusic.com for a comprehensive list of GOOD
  SC bands. My point is, Hootie's OK, but they're not as good as
  half-a-dozen other SC bands.

 I was not being serious.

 Dave Matthews Band......describe. Someone. Please? They sound cool.

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:36:56 -0000
 From: Tom Whitaker <tom@tw.prestel.co.uk>
 Subject: Gimme My Money Back, You Bitch

 I don't know if this ground has already been covered - it probably has.
 When I saw BF5 in Sheffield, they said something about Darren splitting up
 with his girlfriend being the inspiration for this song - apparently she
 dumped him after an expensive dinner...

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 17:37:29 +0000
 From: "B.D.WATTS" <tl6304@qmw.ac.uk>
 Subject: Crash Landing

 Battle of Who Could Care Less entered the UK charts at number 26,
 perhaps just a few people over here are beginning to get taste in
 music. One week to album one and a half to concert. That is all.

 Ive got the looks
 Ive got the brains
 Ive got everything
 We could be happy uNdErGrOuNd

 tl6304@qmw.ac.uk

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 13:00:26 -0800 (PST)
 From:  Kristin Muchesko <woodnymph@hotmail.com>
 Subject: Phoenix dates and radio

 Hi all!!  This is my first post, though I have been reading for a while.
 I live in Tempe, Az.  Not exactly the cultural mecca of the universe.
 (Actually, I feel I should apologize personally for the Gin Blossoms and
 The Refreshments, but there is only so much one 24 year old girl can do to
 repress generic music.) Anyway, when Crowded House officially broke up I
 was allowed to say that Ben Folds Five was my new favorite band w/o
 feeling guilty.  I have been in a constant state of emotional upheaval
 since the announcement of the *maybe* April nine Counting Crows/BFF date
 in Phoenix.  I will cry real tears if they don't come.  That would be like
 concert heaven for me.  (Second only to if I had been able to attend the
 Crowded House Farewell to the World show in Australia.) But anyway, are
 there any other Tempe/Phoenix area fans out there?  I have been pestering
 KZON to get them to play the new single.  (I think the "Bone Mama" hates
 me.) But they are not playing it yet, and I cannot get any confirmation on
 the April 9 date mystery.  So if you live in the area, call the Zone, and
 lets force them to give Ben some play!!

 Kristin, gettin' crazy with the cheez whiz.

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 15:44:27 -0800 (PST)
 From: Adam Gimbel <dumyhead@millennianet.com>
 Subject: various scrawlings

 OK, a few random things:

 First, Nancy, thanks for the praise on my Jellyfish page.  The URL is
 http://millennianet.com/dumyhead/Fanindex.html  Jellyfish and non-Jellyfish
 fans who are sick of reading JF posts can rejoice because there is a
 Jellyfish mailing list that is ALMOST ready to be launched.  Please don't
 write me about it yet 'cause it ain't fully operational.  When it is I
 PROMISE I'll post something here.

 Secondly, I was in the middle of trading with a cool pop fan in Japan
 (where BF5's new album has already sold 100,000 copies!!!!!!!!) a few weeks
 ago.  She didn't have anything I really wanted, so she gave me a Kinks CD
 (Village Green, the best!) and went out and bought me a CD by Japanese
 Tamio Okuda, which has 4 tracks that Jellyfish's Andy Sturmer is ALL OVER.
 She was telling me that she'd just bought the new BF5 and that every record
 store she goes to is playing it in the store.  She joked that Ben was
 following her around telling her, "Give me my money back, you bitch!"  So,
 I says to her I says, "Hey, why doncha pick me up the new album?"  So, she
 says, "Sure!" and now I've got an actual Japanese CD being sent to me by an
 actual Japanese girl.  She's still looking for the single for me.....

 Thirdly, I just saw Beck last week at the future site of a Counting
 Croz/BF5 show at UCSD (san diego).  As much as i hate to ask anyone for
 tix, I used to work for CC's mgmt, so I will be hitting 'em up for a pair.
 We're hoping to score backstage passes and bum rush Ben & the boys with my
 girl Summer sporting a "Hello, my name is Summer B" nametag.  Cross your
 fingers.  ANyone else know any BF5 fans named Summer?  Mine actually works
 with another girl named Summer.  What are the odds?

 Fourthly, whoever has a tape of the boys doing "She Don't Use Jelly":
 Please check out my trading pages
 http://millennianet.com/dumyhead/collectionguide.html
 I want it! Gimme! Gimmme! Anyone who thinks I only want it 'cause it has
 the word "jelly" in the title, PISS OFF! :)

 Adam, sans sig, you're welcome
 http://millennianet.com/dumyhead/

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:36:52 -0500
 From: rawlings@datastream.net
 Subject: alice childress

 does anyone out there have the alice childress piano score. i really need
 to get my hands onit. if you have it or know anyone who has it please email
 me.ineed it pretty bad.  oh yeah does anyone know any thing about bff in
 atlanta . i'm kinda ready to go see em'  whenever they come. well, that's
 about it . ---------------brad

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:59:04 -0600 (CST)
 From: Paul Rodriguez <mppr@ix.netcom.com>
 Subject: Re: Franklin Mint lyrics

 Several people took shots at the lyrics to the bridge of BOWCCL.
 Here's mine:

 I've got this great idea.
 Why don't we pitch it to the
 Franklin f***in' Mint?
 Fine painted portraits of General Apathy
 and Major Boredom singing
 'Whatever and Ever, Amen.'

 Oh, well.  Maybe not.
 I'll try again.

 This should cheer you up for sure.
 See, I've got your old ID;
 You're all dressed up like the Cure.

 I love the song.  Got it on the new CMJ.  Already playing the thing to
 death.  Is it a single?  Hell, all BFF's songs sound like singles to
 me.

 Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 23:34:47 -0500
 From: Mike Piccuirro <mikeman@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
 Subject: Fresh from Japan, the CD RULES!!!!

 Hey, I just received the cd from Japan on 2/21. Not an easy task when
 you're on the other side of the world in New Jersey. And it only cost me
 18 bucks!  I just wanted to address the luke warm response I've noticed
 from music mags. Well, I've been spinning it all weekend and I love
 it!!  Be warned, don't judge it after only listening to it 1 or 2
 times.  It took a while for the songs to grab me, but they did.
 Admitingly, it's not as good as the first one (IMHO), but great
 none-the-less.  Don't hesitate to pick it up, you wont regret it.  I
 noticed a lot of underlying conversation in between songs, especially at
 the end of the last song which is sung in Japanese, I hope they don't
 lose that when the USA CD hits.
                              Well, there's my 2 cents.
                                      -Mike
 homepage http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~mikeman

                Right before you dumped me on your front porch