Issue #190 - March 4, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #190

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.

Topics for Today:

      BOWCCL Chords...
      Poor old Xander du Bois
      the roses
      Ben Folds Bis into a ball and kicks them around the room
      Eden burning
      Whatever....In NYC
      I got it all wrong!
      That album... bloody good.
      Seeing them live
      What? Huuuuh?
      [Fwd: Jellyfish Mailing List]
      BoWCCL video
      ATTN: Mark Piper and lyric ponderers
      ticket(s) wanted for Seattle show
      Some questions and comments.
      Number 1 in Japan

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:15:25 +0000
 From: Nick VINCENT <N.Vincent@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
 Subject: BOWCCL Chords...

 Hi,

 Just finished editing the transcription of BOWCCL.  If anyone's got any
 cahnges that they think sounds better let me know.

 Enjoy,

 Nick

 The Battle of Who Could Care Less
 Ben Folds Five

 Transcribed by Nick Vincent

 INTRO
 	2x	G - F - Eb - Db - Db - Eb - B - Db (Bass Db - Eb - F)
 	1x	Eb - F

 F RIFF
 	{F  F   F}
 	{A  Bb  C}
 	{F  G   A}

 VERSE 1
 	G          F           Eb    F/Eb
 	Do you not hear me any more?
 	Eb          F                 Db
 	I know it's not your thing to care,
 	              Eb            G
 	you know it's cool to be so bored,
 	         F              Eb    F/Eb
 	sucks me in when you're aloof,
 	Eb          F                Db
 	it sucks me in, it sucks, it works,
 	           Eb	          F(riff twice)
 	guess it's cool to be alone

 CHORUS
 	           Cm7  Bb  F
 	(Will you) ne - ver rest,
 	Cm7                 Bb                   F
 	Fight the battle of who could care less
 	Cm7   Bb      F       Eb
 	Every day you wake up late,
 	C                  G
 	Sometimes I wish I was, that way.

 INTRO PT1 REPEATS

 VERSE 2
 	G             F                 Eb   F/Eb
 	And you think Rockford Files is cool,
 	Eb        F                     Db
 	but there are some things, that you would change,
 	   Eb            G
 	if it were up to you,
 	         F          Eb           F/Eb
 	So think about your masterpiece,
 	Eb        F
 	Watch the Rockford Files,
 	    Db             Eb                    F(riff x 2)
 	and call to see if Paul could score some weed.

 CHORUS
 	Do you ne-ver rest,
 	Fight the battle of who could care less,
 	Ho-nour, not happ-iness,
 	Well that's alright I guess

 BRIDGE
 	F/Eb -  Eb      Hang on last chord
 	F/G  -  G       both times

 	C    D   G          C
 	I've got this great idea,
 	C            D               G                C
 	Why don't we pitch it to the Franklin f***ing mint?
 	C          D
 	Five metre portraits of,
 	G       C           Bb/Eb
 	General Apathy and Major Boredom singing,
 	G - F - Eb
 	whatever and ever amen.

 VERSE 3
 	Eb F           Db   Eb            G
 	Oh well, maybe not,    I'll try   again,
 	                 F                Eb    F/Eb
 	Well this should cheer you up for sure,
 	Eb       F            Db
 	See I've got your old ID,
 	               Eb                  F(no riff)
 	and you're all dressed up like The Cure.

 STOP FOR COUNT OF 3

 CHORUS
 	You never rest,
 	Fight the battle of who could care less,
 	Ho-nour, not happ-iness,
 	You're my hero I confess.

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:18:44 +0000
 From: King Lava Lamp <JOA95JWA@sheffield.ac.uk>
 Subject: Poor old Xander du Bois

 The new album is an absolute masterpiece, it outclasses the last one
 from just about every angle.  I am so impressed with it.  Anybody
 familiar with Joe Jackson will hear him in it though, I think.

 I hope Xander du Bois gets it now.  The ballads are all brilliant but
 of course they need time to grow onn you.

 Incidentally, Battle Of Who Could Care Less went in the UK chart at
 no. 26.

 JOHN A

 I'm a driver
 I'm a winner
 Things are gonna CHANGE I can feel it

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:36:04 GMT
 From: sammy <eco6sj2h@EAST-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>
 Subject: the roses

 sorry for the none bf5 content but all ive been reading lately is how
 overated the stone roses are. please just stop it they are the only
 good thing to come out of the 80's and the 1st album in a complete
 classic.
 im also counting the days till march 9th when ill finally see bf5
 live. cant wait!!!
 sam

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:59:39 GMT
 From: Andy Hewitt <mbcx6adh@mh2.mcc.ac.uk>
 Subject: Ben Folds Bis into a ball and kicks them around the room

 Alex who likes Bis

 Music may well be art but there is a difference from a masterpiece
 and a childs uncoordinated scrawl ...

 Also it is not only the music but the attitudes and the damn awful
 names . 'Sci-fi Steven' and the others ? I think not .

 Back to the masterpieces . Mark , I agree with you about what the
 very hard to work out lyrics sound like , but also don't know exactly
 what is going on there . Maybe the person who says that they have the
 lyrics in the new CD could oblige us all with a list of them .

 Number 26 (or was it 27) in the English charts is the position that
 "Battle..." came in at , not too bad . However when you consider that
 ten weeks on from its release there were still more sales of the
 Shite Girls with "2 becomes 1" then more doubt is cast over the
 sanity of the nation .

 I see America just let the above band become number one .
 We're both suckers !!!

 Enough for now .
 People , please don't shout at me .

 Andy Hewitt

 "I'm with everyone and yet not" - Gavin Rossdale of Bush

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:10:42 GMT
 From: Andy Hewitt <mbcx6adh@mh2.mcc.ac.uk>
 Subject: Eden burning

 To the person who has the Email address that I couldn't get to work
 so I sent it here as it is in reference to what somebody put in the
 Armchair ...

 This is with reference to your Magical Armchair posting .

 You asked about a UK band called "Eden Burning" . I was shocked as I
 really didn't think that anybody had ever heard of them . From your
 message it seemed like you are in America . I am astonished to hear
 that they are known by a single person over there . Is this the same
 band ? It must be .
 Anyway , I'm not too sure about their CDs , but do know one of the
 members of the band , Charles Ingram . He used to be the singer in a
 band in which my brother played guitar and so I was shocked to see
 their name .
 They have broken up now , though . Their last appearance was at the
 Greenbelt festival in England .

 Sorry that this isn't much help yet , but I'll have a look around to
 see if I can find anything useful out for you .

 Hoping we're on about the same band ...

 Andy Hewitt

 P.S. Sorry for the lack of BFF stuff , but I normally comply ...

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:19:16 -0500
 From: hpunch@pipeline.com
 Subject: Whatever....In NYC

 I picked up the Japanese import of Whatever and Ever Amen at HMV on 34th
 and 6th Ave on Friday for 32.99 (OUCH!!). Both versions of The Battle
 single I picked up at Other Music right around the corner from the downtown
 TOWER.
 I thing Whatever is a strong record, but it doesn't sound like a major
 label breaktrough type of album. I think the first record had more so
 called "hit"- like material. I also find the songs to be a bit on the
 lenghty side ( except Cigarette of course). But I love the use of The
 Klezmatics on Steven's LAst Night. I think I prefer the version of  Song
 For The Dumped  on the Mr. Wrong soundtrack, it's more uptempo. This new
 version is a bit sluggish and sloppy.  But all in all it's a fine fine
 album once again, a far from a sophmore jinx.

 JD

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:17:34 GMT
 From: "A GARBI REG:00263121" <GARBIA-U@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: I got it all wrong!

 >  From: Paul Mawdsley <pmm26@cam.ac.uk>
 >  Subject: BFF and Simon Mayo on Radio 1
 >
 >  Mark Piper asked about a reference to BFF by Simon Mayo on the Radio One
 >  breakfast show last week that he heard. I was unfortunate to hear the whole
 >  sorry extent of what was said on that show said.

     [rest of quote deleted by moderator]

 * Ah, I missed the bit about him slagging it off. I got this all
 wrong, and was obviously virtually still asleep (well, what a
 ridiculous time in the morning). Does this mean I dream about BF5
 now? Love 'em and all, but that's too much.  Andy.

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:45:46 GMT
 From: "A GARBI REG:00263121" <GARBIA-U@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
 Subject: That album... bloody good.

 Hi all,

     Yes yes, I've got the album, about a week in advance of it's UK
 release, and, well, it's good. It's certainly not as rockin' as the
 debut, but is still very cool. Best tracks on first listens: 'One
 Angry Dwarf...' (but then you all knew that), 'Selfless, Cold +
 Composed' (think that's what it's called, can't remember
 exactly), 'Kate' and 'Song For The Dumped'. BofWCCL has gone in the
 UK chart at #26, so maybe stardom awaits.
     The '\/\/' finger thing is the 'W' in 'Whatever', and the cover
 has a rather fetching purple backing, with some really bad photos of
 the lads on the cover and inside. The coolest thing is the hand-
 written lyrics inside.
     Tracks from the album are all over my Uni radio station, because
 myself and about half the other DJs were all at the Foundry gig last
 year, and are all pushing it as much as possible.
     I'm still digesting the new stuff, and I'll be back with more
 views as opinions form (and when everyone else has got it).

     Just thought I'd gloat a bit.

     Did I mention I've got 2 spare copies of the CD?

     Andy. xx.

 Date: 24 Feb 97 12:25:01 EST
 From: CAMPBEL2%STUDENT.Avila@mail.avila.edu
 Subject: Seeing them live

 This is the first time I have posted and I just wanted to let Frank and
 everyone associated with this, that you are providing a great service,
 and something that Ive been anxious to see. I have had the unique
 pleasure of seeing Ben Folds Five twice, once in Lawerence Kansas and
 also at Lollapaloza. If you havent seen them live yet, you havent really
 experienced them. They seem to have so much fun and that energy carries
 over to the crowd. I go to lives shows all the time, to many to count and
 I would say that their show in Lawerence was the best Ive ever seen. Yes
 this is all great but the show at Lollapaloza was one of the coolest
 experiences of my life. The problem with festivals like that is, the
 bands are limited on the time they can play. The show was still excellent
 and made the day for me, yet what happened afterwards was to good to be
 true. After the show I saw a crowd gathering near the barricade of the
 second stage. As i looked over their I saw Robert Sledge talking to the
 fans hanging around. I couldnt get to him so i just yelled his name. He
 came right over and began talking to me as if we were old friends. I
 shook his hand afterwards and he left. Then I saw that Ben was out
 talking to the people, I yelled his name and he came over as well. We
 talked about the album and when the new album would be out. I told him
 that I wished he would have gotten to play one of the cool covers he had
 played at the show in Lawerence, like Video Killed The Radio Star, Or
 Crosstown Traffic, he said that they save them for when their able to
 play longer. I asked him what they were doing after Lollapaloza, and he
 spoke of their European tour and told me that the album was doing well. I
 also told him that I bought the Mr. Wrong soundtrack just for Song for
 the Dumped was on it. He then told me about Bad Idea on the Truth About
 Cats And Dogs soundtrack, I asked him if it was a cool song and he said
 yeah its alright, pretty cool. I then shook his hand and thanked him for
 talking to me, and he thanked me for coming. It was one of the coolest
 things and made me appreciate the band even more for there humbleness,
 because that means a lot to a fan like me. Well i need to go, Iknow all
 of you are waiting for the new album as anxouisly as I am and I cant wait
 to see them again. I hope to hear some other stories from you all soon
 and thanks again Frank for setting this up,
 					Just a little of my philosophy,
 							William Campbell
 Ps: any info on bootlegs would be greatly appreciated because I would
 love a version Of Video Killed The Radio Star, and im sure lots of you
 guys do to if youve heard it.

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:33:56 -0500 (EST)
 From: berlinme@student.lansing.cc.mi.us
 Subject: What? Huuuuh?

 Lava Lamp Person:

 What does gormless mean?

 Melanie A. Berlin

 "I hate everything"
    ----Jaimie Franchi

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:52:11 -0600
 From: william <ndoodle@ou.edu>

 FYI

 just got this from Chris.
 maybe I'll see you there?

 nancy;)

  Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:54:26 -0600 (CST)
  From: Chris Bray <cbray@comp.uark.edu>
  To: Undisclosed recipients:  ;

 I've recently created a mailing list for the band Jellyfish.

 It's not limited to just Jellyfish, but spin off bands, solo projects,
 etc...Imperial Drag, Jason Falkner, Grays, Umajets, Moog Cookbook, and
 anything else that may arise.

 To subscribe, send email with this in the message body:

 SUBSCRIBE JELLY-L FirstName LastName

 where FirstName and LastName is your first and last name, respectively.

 Hope to see you on the list...

 Chris

 PS.  Please feel free to send this message out to others who may be interested.

 Chris Bray	      | Computing Services, University of Arkansas
 cbray@comp.uark.edu   | http://bubblegum.uark.edu/Chris/
 "Ever since Moses brought them out of Egypt, the world is infested with
 cucumbers."  - Johnny Cash

 Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:57:59 -0500 (EST)
 From: Andy <OLERS@wabash.edu>
 Subject: BoWCCL video

 What happened to the new video appearing on 120 minutes on Sunday?
 Is MTV planning on playing it with any regularity on any of the regular
 shows?

 Also, what major chains will carry the new album?

 Thanks,
 Andy

 Simple tricks and ancient
 weapons are no match for a
 good blaster at your side...

 Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 03:12:16 -0500 (EST)
 From: FineExampl@aol.com
 Subject: ATTN: Mark Piper and lyric ponderers

 as for the words in BOWCCL:
   "Why dont we pitch it to the Franklin Mint: fine pewter portraits of
 General Apathy and Major Boredom, singing whatever and ever amen...."
 how's that for owning the lyrics?

 any more questions, email em to me!   check out my web site at
 http://members.aol.com/fineexampl

 always,
 JOhn Hartman   NJ   USA

 Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:31:23 -0800
 From: Ron Fein <ronfe@MICROSOFT.com>
 Subject: ticket(s) wanted for Seattle show

 If anyone has 1-4 tickets for the Apr. 1 Seattle show that they'd like
 to sell, please contact me: ronfe@microsoft.com. Thanks.

 Ron

 This post does not reflect the views of the Microsoft Corporation.

 Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:32:49 -0500 (EST)
 From: Tony Flaminio <flaminio@acsu.buffalo.edu>
 Subject: Some questions and comments.

 	Hi guys!  I just had a few questions and comments:

 	1.  I just traded a radiohead RARITIES (did that catch your
 eye?) tape for a BF5 RARITIES  tape with Sam Lewis and I am quite pleased
 with the tape (thanks Sam!), but I want more!  I need the songs Rocky,
 Guilty, Kalamazoo, whatever covers BF5 does (besides Video Killed....,
 Crosstown traffic, and Elvin Bishop), and whatever Majosha stuff is out
 there. If anyone wants to trade for the stuff I have or some rare new
 radiohead stuff, let me know.
 	2.  Lyric question.  From Protection. Fill in the blank.
 "Tourists wear their wallets in odd places when abroad so as not to get
 ripped of in ways to wish _______/Lawyers write some goofy terms in
 letters to the future, so as not to get all screwed by methods herein
 after devised/So will I."  I love this verse, I love this song.
 	3.  At the beginning of the recording of Video Killed The Radio
 Star that I have, Ben says something about a one hit wonders album, when
 is this due out, is it for real?  I would love a studio version of this
 song.
 	4.  I just ordered both T-shirts and the hat from BF5's official
 site, but its gonna take four weeks for me to get it. I can't wait that
 long!!  I want that shirt with the middle finger on it!!

 /************************************************************************/
 /*           check me.  http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~flaminio           */
 /*         floating upon the surf is for the birds. --radiohead         */
 /************************************************************************/

 Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 19:07:56 -0700 (MST)
 From: James Robert Campbell <jrcampbe@mines.utah.edu>
 Subject: Number 1 in Japan

 For all of those interested, check out...

 http://www.infojapan.com/JWAVE/hot100.html

 ...and dig your way to songs 1-10.  Song For The Dumped is the #1 song
 according to J-Wave 81.3 FM in Tokyo.

 They also are tracking "Steven's Last Night In Town" (#97), and "One Angry
 Dwarf..." (#63).

 Pretty cool.....now if somebody could just convince the clowns around here to
 play "The Battle..." 8^).

 Cheers,

 --James

 James R. Campbell
 Department Of Meteorology	jrcampbe@mines.utah.edu
 University of Utah	        jrcampbe@atmos.met.utah.edu

 http://www.met.utah.edu/info/graduate/james.html

 "Will you ever rest, fighting the battle of who could care less?"

                    The girl up front says that's all right