 Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 20:02:51 -0500 (EST)
 From: AGNEND86@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU
 Subject: Duel CD singles really f***ing blow

   Kudos to those of you that have heard the new album.  It's a stupendous
 follow-up.  I think Mark Piper's critique summed it up best.  Anyways,
 i have a gripe, so I'll get right to it.  A funny thing happened to me
 on Friday last week.  I was planning on purchasing the TWO CD singles
 for BWCCL at a local record shop up here in Buffalo.  When I asked if
 they got them in, the clerk handed both discs to me and proceeded to tell me
 that they were free.  Needeless to say I was floored.  Apparently the store
 had received several promo copies of the two import singles.  Upon
 first listen to the four b-sides that comprise the two singles, I felt
 extremely blessed that i didn't have to spend good money on them.  First of
 all, it really upsets me to see a band, or record label as the case may
 be, release a single in two parts.  It hurts the fan, and the band doesn't
 see much more royalty money than if they released the single in one part.
 The reason this is done in the UK so frequently, is to increase the chart
 position of a single - it really isn't so much for the money.  I'm not
 sure if it's the band's doing or not, but why would BFF be concerned about
 chart status?  They're one of the few bands I can think of these days that
 are "really in it for the songs" as the cliche goes, so it seems absurd they
 would try put such a financial strain on their fans.  Look at Oasis for
 example - they've never released a double CD single, and BFF are certainly
 a f*** of a lot more genuine than Oasis will ever be!  That should tell
 you something.

 Secondly, the quality of the B-sides are absolutely deplorable.  As amusing as
 they may be, they're basically throw-aways, even the Oasis cover.  It's bad
 enough that the band (or label) released the single in two
 parts, but it's even worse that they put such filler onto the discs.  As far
 as I'm concerened, NOTHING can justify this.  I really thought BFF were above
 this kind of thing.  In a nutshell, if you haven't bought the singles yet,
 don't.  If you have, feel free to send in your thoughts on all this - I'd
 hate to think I was alone.

 Neal A.

 Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 21:12:01 -0500
 From: zerocool@magg.net
 Subject: Let's talk trading...

 Several weeks ago I sent out a plea to other readers for help in starting a
 tape chain for BF5. With the help of another reader I was able to get a
 compilation of songs . It consists of
 cuts from the August '95 concert at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem NC, a few cuts
 from a demo tape released prior to the first cd, the song 'Bad Idea'  from
 The Truth About Cats & Dogs soundtrack and several songs from the October
 26, 1995 concert at the Seventh Street Entry show held in Minneapolis, MN.
 The SSE show contains a version of VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR! I am
 interested in trading for other BF5 shows. I am also looking for any Toad
 the Wet Sprocket shows that might be out there- I am having a difficult
 time locating them. If you don't have anything to trade but you are
 intersted in a copy of this tape, I will be happy to spin a copy for you
 under the condition that you send me a tape and a self addressed stamped
 envelope- why? because I'm a nice person! : )  If you are interested in
 what else is on the tape,  a trade or want the specifics on what to send
 for a copy w/o trade please email me privately so as not to clog up the
 armchair for other readers.

 Thanks-
 Gina
 zerocool@magg.net

 Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 20:19:45 +0000
 From: "Arnold S. Rowe" <arowe@pe.net>
 Subject: Just a few little BFF things

 Hello Y'all! (wearing fanny packs)

  i could have sworn the lyrics to BoWCCL were  "Find mirror
 Portraits...", but ah well (i do hear "Find Pewter Portraits," now, though).
  I feel really out of the loop, so could someone who is in
 tell me: 1) What is Rockford Files? Who is Paul? 2) How did our boys
 get to be so famous in Japan? This phenomenon makes no sense to me!
 (hmm.. i guess Who is Paul? should have been 2.)

 For those of you wondering where to get the single:

 Through an act of God, i joyously discovered the BoWCCL single at
 Tower Records (in Costa Mesa, California), along with the Underground single
 and walked around the store waiting for my friends with a big goofy
 grin on my face refusing to take it away from my heart  :)

 Finally, Allan Hsu:

 In case you were wondering, the song BFF covered that kept going "i
 don't like Mondays" is called precisely that and is originally by the
 Boomtown Rats.

 Breathlessly waiting for the new album (and my B-day)(2 days apart--
 coincidence? i think not!!)  ~~Aimee

 Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 00:14:17 -0500 (EST)
 From: ToadStompr@aol.com
 Subject: Free BOWCCL singles!

 Today was so great as I have just picked up both import singles today, for
 free no less!  I'm surprised nobody has said anything about this, but if you
 check out www.bffweb.com you'll notice that there are bunches of record
 stores that are perfectly willing to hand out free copies of the BWOCCL
 singles to anyone that asks.  For anyone in the DC area, the Kemp Mill at
 Dupont Circle has plenty to give away so get yours now while they last!

 My impression of the singles so far:

 1st one:
 Battle of Who Could Care Less - superb, of course..if you haven't heard this
 get the single or the latest CMJ

 Hava Nagila (live) - A short but hilarious rendition of an old favorite...or
 something.

 For Those of Ya'll Who Wear Fanny Packs - Ok, this one is...different.  It
 sounds like a jam session gone horribly wrong..kind of a parody hip hop Rage
 Against the Machine type thing.  All three of the boys sing lead at some
 point on this while everyone just sort of plays whatever they want.  It's
 actually really hilarious, and obviously meant to be that way.  At the end
 they're all laughing and Ben says "That's our next single" and then one of
 them says "That sucked!".  Well you have to hear it to really appreciate it.

 2nd one:
 BOWCCL - yes, again

 Champagne Supernova (live) - Country style, as it was meant to be.  Much
 better than Oasis could ever do.

 Theme From Dr. Pyser (live) - Mostly instrumental with a few ba ba ba's
 thrown in.  Too bad the sound quality isn't that great on either of these.

 I also found the Candy Butchers EP, Live at La Bonbonniere which is super
 cool too.  Remember the title song from the movie That Thing You Do?  These
 were the guys that actually performed it, but they basicly got no credit for
 it.  If you can find this CD, get it!  They've opened for They Might Be
 Giants several times and I've only heard great things about them.

 --
 Pat
 psavage@vt.edu

 Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 02:00:01 -0500 (EST)
 From: Mcbragg@aol.com
 Subject: Who set the Chickens Loose?

 Howdy,
     For those of you who have had the opportunity to hear the New BF5 album,
 on the 2nd song "Fair" - doesn't the "Ba, Ba, Ba ; Ba, Ba, Ba, chorus sung be
 Darren & Jesse sound like chickens clucking.  Each time I hear the song, I
 think of Chicken roosting around the yard.  It cracks me up, I just join in
 clucking and have a great old time.  Am I crazy or does anybody else get this
 same feeling when they listen to this song?!

      you must think I'm totally nuts!             Bbaa-cauuK!!!!!  McBragg (
 Johnny Boy )

 Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 02:27:27 -0800
 From: The Mighty Frozen Halibut <qreeus@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
 Subject: The Import - a copy of your own

 Well, someone asked about a way to get the Japanese Import so I thought I'd
 post this again.  I got my copy Tuesday and love it all, right down to the
 Japanese version of Song for the Dumped.  It's all great stuff, especially
 1 Angry Dwarf..., Steven's Last Night..., Kate, and Evaporated.  Hell, as I
 write those, I wanna add others but I know if I did that, I'd list the
 whole album.  Surprisingly, I don't think BoWCCL is the strongest song on
 the album, but then again, I always thought Philosophy was stronger than
 Underground.

 Geez, sorry for rambling.  Anyway, I ordered my Japanese Import of the new
 album through Djangle (Django?) Records in Portland.  I live in Northern
 Cal so they're happy to ship it.  their number is 503-227-4381.  Hope that
 helps.

 I know the import has a different cover than the domestic release but i'd
 be interested to know if the domestic release will have the lyrics printed
 like the Jap Import does.  Anyone happen to know?

 On a completely tangential note, this is a shot in the dark, but I'm
 listening to Over the Rhine right now and just wondered if there were any
 other OtR fans out there?  I know it's a longshot.
   Swingfully,
     Nathan

 "Don't speak, words come out your eyes."    --Over the Rhine

 Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 06:41:14, -0500
 From: MS KIMBERLY HORN <QPQJ32A@prodigy.com>
 Subject: ben folds five discussion:aloha!!!

 aloha!!!
 wow, this is my first post for THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR....
 well, i guess i should introduce myself...
 my name is seferina lozano...i'm a 16 year old girl in honolulu,
 hawaii
 well, this is the 3rd mailing list i'm on...
 i am also on the geggy tah mailing list....and the ska/punk mailing
 list by ryan harmon...
 hmmm.........what else can i say?
 i love ben folds five!!!!
 they came here to play at the hard rock cafe and i was pissed that i
 couldn't go...the show was for people over 21...it sucks to be young..
 .anyway, i was so desperate that i attempted to sneak out my car and
 try and just hang outside....but i was caught leaving the house......

 and i even tried to call earlier and page one of the members....as if
 it was an emergency...but that failed too...
 well, also, i recently saw the video for battle of who could care
 less....i can't wait for the new album!!!
 i discovered ben folds five when i was watching conan o'brien's late
 one night....it was the first original showing of ben folds five...
 they sang an edited  version of underground...the next day, i bought
 the self titled cd...it was about 2 days after, i sent them a letter
 via old-fashioned mail and i got a reply like 2 months later...just
 an update on the band...and the lyrics...i heard that some people got
 a sticker...but i guess i didn't luck out....i love them regardless...
 so, it's all good...
 well, this is already kind of long, so i'll stop here...
 talk to you people later!!!!
 sef

 Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:42:23 -0500 (EST)
 From: RhubarbCub@aol.com
 Subject: That video clip!

 Well, I've been to the Web site a few times now, and I've tried downloading
 the video clip twice but it always gets corrupted somehow.  It's probably my
 crummy AOL browser, but who knows?

 Anyway, I'd rather see the whole thing.  Maybe I'll try to catch 120 Minutes
 this week.  In the meantime, is there any way in this whole wide world that a
 civilian like myself could get ahold of copies of the first two videos
 ("Underground" and "Uncle Walter", I believe) on VHS?  I've never been able
 to see them!  My life isn't complete until I get to see the magical armchair
 in actual flight, ya know!

 Ned and his red socks

 Date: Fri, 7 Mar 97 18:04:31 +0000
 From: Alec Cook <alec.cook@zen.co.uk>
 Subject: 'Ben Folds Five' play the Students Union - Manchester, UK

 Hiya,
       I recently went to see 'Ben Folds Five' at the Students Union, in
 Manchester (3rd March) This is my gig review

       I went into the hall, with my 1/2 pint, when the support came on.
 They were called 'Komeda'. They were REALLY bad. All the songs the played
 sounded the same, and the lead singer didn't sing words. She just seemed
 to 'Barrr' along to most of them. What was the drummer wearing! He has a
 suit on!??? Very strange group...

       After 1/2hr set change 'Ben Folds' came on. After the first couple
 of songs (first song was 'The Battle of Who Could Care Less') I think the
 bass player must have snapped a string of somthing. So while he was off
 re-stringing it, Ben did a solo on the piano that he said he'd never
 played to an audience before and probably wouldn't ever again. He said
 that he'd taken the lyrics, word for word from a newspaper article. He'd
 just decided to put music to this article. But it went down really well,
 and all the audience enjoyed it.

       I wouldn't have expected it to be a very lively gig, but when they
 got to some of the more famous songs like 'Underground' there was quite a
 lot of people Pogoing. It was quite liveley near the front where I was.

       At the end the came on and did 3-4 oncours (I can't quite remember)
 and finally finishing with 'Smoke'

       Afterwards there was hordes of students dashing around, pinching
 all the posters. It was an absolutely brilliant gig.

    I hope you enjoyed reading this,
       If you want to know anything else about the gig, please write
          See ya, Al

 =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
                       Alec Cook - alec.cook@zen.co.uk
  Check out my Website -
 http://www.zen.co.uk/home/page/alec.cook/index.html

 Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 13:20:45 -0500
 From: Jason Miller <jasonchibari@mindspring.com>
 Subject: BFF

 Hello,
 	I'm new to the list.
 	Never seen them live.
 	Don't own any tapes to trade.
 	Don't know the last names of any band members.
 	BUT i do love the first album.  I need the new album to officially
 suck me in.

 	Rumor has it BFF are doing a song on a compilation called
 "Lounge-a Palooza" on Hollywood Records.  Bands such as Pizzicato 5,
 Presidents of the USA, and some others. It should be released in June.

 Jay Superstar Miller
 jasonchibari@mindspring.com

 Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:36:05 -0600
 From: Prock <swprockn@students.wisc.edu>
 Subject: BBF, Bootlegs

 Hey I'm   fairly new to the trading biz, but am in desperate need of some
 BBF tapes. I will go 2:1. I have some jewel,cranberries,DMB, and pumpkins.
 Let me know.
 Scott

 Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 01:28:46 +0000
 From: vivi@ndirect.co.uk
 Subject: BFF warning:low flying people!!

 7th March, Astoria, London,UK Pretty damn fantastic. Got a lovely simle
 from Robert or would have done had not all the unfeasibly tall people been
 infront of me. Why is it that all guys over six foot always stand right
 infront of you at gigs? But I got right to the front and was propm tly
 squished.

 Anyhow the music was fantastic (except the "show me a Spice Girl"  faux
 pas at the start of Underground. How could they stoop so low?). I'm glad I
 got hold of the album at the start of the week so I could sing/yell along.

 Low flying people were abundant tonight. Well what did they expect with
 the aundience up against the stage? Robert (shame about the corduroy
 pants) looked very worried as teenage girl after teenage girl threw
 themselves at his feet. Darren was the only on e who looked as if he was
 enjoying himself. And why not with a great drum kit, blue with stars. My
 ambition? To get his sticks (Yeah, yeah... I play wipeout on the drums...)
 Ben Folds was as funky as ever.

 So all you who missed it have every right to be jealous. I can't wait for
 their return in the summer. BFF if your out there how about Glastonbury??

              Everyone gather round now, sing us a song