Issue #199 - March 13, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #199

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.
     * If you attend a show, you must post a review!

Topics for Today:

      bf5 live tapes
      Budding musicians?
      Whatever, and Ever, Amen....
      Re: Philly
      BF5 and the Semantics
      the eric bachmann-connection
      Re: BFF on compilation CD
      Rockford files
      Who was support?!
      Gig Review!
      details
      Edgefest '97
      BoWCCL transcription
      Sound Bites

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:10:44 -0500 (EST)
 From: Alexander Jay Timin <ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
 Subject: bf5 live tapes

 several people have requested bf5 "bootlegs".  i have a couple (about 6
 now) so email off the list if interested.

 ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us

 alex

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:32:14 +0000 (GMT)
 From: Steve Poyer <S.D.Poyer@durham.ac.uk>
 Subject: Budding musicians?

 Hello all...

 I was just sitting here thinking (well, it beats doing any proper work)
 about nothing in perticular, when a it struck me...this could be my
 last night in town! So i figure i'd better write you all and say
 goodbye...just in case.
 The other reason was to ask about scores for the second album. Nick's
 BoWCCL chords (from #190) are realy smart and i have kinda managed to add
 the fancy piano part riding over the top of them...but! what i wanted to
 know was whether anyone has any other scores or chord progressions for
 album number two?

 Hmmm...oh yeah...the other day i was listening to 'Stevens last night...'
 and realised the start is kinda similar to the clarinet at the start of
 Gershwin's 'Raphsody in Blue'...Has Ben got some secret fascination with
 this piece of music, or am i totally off track? Hey! Who cares, its still
 a brilliant song whatever (and ever amen).

 Right, its 1.30pm which means that i could have only 10 and a half hours
 left in town...so i'm going off to do something constructive.  Wake me up
 if you need me...

 Steve "10 hours and 25 minutes to go" Poyer

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:42:47 +0
 From: "S I PICK (BA (Hons) Design)" <AJBA0048@newi.ac.uk>
 Subject: Whatever, and Ever, Amen....

 Hello, fellow Ben Folds Five fans!

 I'm new to this mailing list thingy, so allow me to introduce myself - I'm
 Steven "Pickasso" Pick, 21 years of age studying a BA Animation degree at
 Wrexham NEWI in the good old UK. I'm also going to have to persuade the
 Students Union to get Ben Folds Five on at the SU bar, as all we get at
 the moment are stupid tribute bands... I first heard Underground on the
 radio, and since I bought their first album with that song on, I have been
 officially hooked!

 Glad to say the new album kicks ass, though the best song out of the
 entire lot has to be Selfless, Cold and Composed - an absolutely
 bloody brilliant bit of songwriting on the lads part, and the song
 gets better and better with every listen. As for the two singles I
 read about in the Armchair - Champagne Supernova should of been
 longer, though what was there was fantastic, and Fannie Packs shows
 what a versatile group Ben Folds Five can be if they wanted to be - a
 good sign of arse-kicking if ever I saw.

 Anyway, anyone wishing to contact a sad and lonely student about the
 lads (preferrably female for obvious and oblivious reasons) can feel
 free - and visit my Web Page at
 http://www.ace.mdx.ac.uk/hyperhomes/houses/steven/home.htm
 but hurry, as it's going to be revamped pretty soon!

 See you around, guys!

 Steve ;)~
 AJBA0048@newi.ac.uk

 "September '75, I was 47 inches high..." (well, actually 47
 centimetres, but who's counting...)

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:17:39 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Donna L. Hokanson" <hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu>
 Subject: Re: Philly

 I deleted some addresses -- so I don't know the addresses, but Kate and
 Jim from Delaware -- were you able to get tickets for the April 30 TLA
 show.

 Donna

 Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 01:31:42 +0900
 From: Chiori <chiori-t@ppp.fastnet.or.jp>
 Subject: BF5 and the Semantics

 Hello everyone.

 To Liz who wrote about the Semantics.

 I'm very glad to know that someone over there likes them!
 I love their music too. I think it's because the sound is very cheerful
 and makes me happy.
 William Owsley, Millard Powers, Zak Starkey.
 Will and Millard are friends of Ben, I know that much.
 If you know anything more, will you let me know?
 ..Have they played in gigs? Is there any single released?
 and, if possible, how old are they?
 In the first place, I don't even know how old the three in BF5 are!
 If anyone knows how old they are, let me know.

 Cheers.
 Chiori =)

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:50:14 +0100
 From: jonas nilsson <eng96jni@lustudat.student.lu.se>
 Subject: the eric bachmann-connection

 Hi all of you!

 Jonas Nilsson from Sweden here. Since one of you wanted to hear about Bens
 feelings towards Mr. Eric Bachmann, I thought I would torture you all with
 that piece.

 Some of you may know that Ben Folds played drums on a solorecord that Eric
 Bachmann from Archers of loaf did the other year under the name of Barry
 Black. (released on Alias Records). When I met Eric last summer I asked him
 what he thought of Ben and he basically said he thought the music was
 pretty cool (he didnīt seem overwhelmingly enthusiastic about it though),
 but that he just couldnīt relate to the lyrics.
 He thought Bens and his lyrics came from two totally different worlds.

 So when I met Ben this november I talked to him about it and this was his
 response:

 What do you think of the Barry Black-album?
 -Eric is great. Archers of loaf are great. The album is good, it is nice. I
 just wish we could have taken it a bit more serious and given it more time.
 But the album is good. I have said this before and I dont know what Eric
 thinks of it, but I think Eric could write really big hits if he wanted to,
 but he doesnt want to. So he intentionally makes things a bit too
 difficult. I am not saying that is wrong, but I think he could do both. If
 he just took the great power from a song like "Web in front" and the mixed
 it with the artistic touch from Barry Black, he could do a fabulous album.
 But that is a bit scary too, cuz it is difficult. I am always just more
 critical towards people I know.

 When I met Eric he told me he liked your music, but that he had trouble
 relating to your lyrics.
 -Yeah, I think he has this strange relation to lyrics. His idea of lyrics
 are a bit overblown and strange. On their new album there are songs like
 "Chumming the oceans " and "Assassination on X-mas eve" and I just dont
 think that is what Eric is going around thinking about all day. I would
 have liked it if he had been a bit more honest and wrote about what he
 actually does, what he saw on TV last week and so on. But I think that is a
 indie-kinda-thing to be afraid of being human. But I am not sure what his
 critic would be when it comes to  my lyrics. I  personally think my lyrics
 are a bit too clever for its own good. And if that is what he is thinking
 of, I agree.

 He said something of you coming from two different worlds lyrically.
 -Hmmm, it would be really interesting to talk to him about it. But we
 obviously come from two different worlds if we look upon it musically. Eric
 comes from Iron Maiden, I think. I think he grew up listening to Iron
 Maiden and was affected by that and now he is writing his own boy-lyrics
 and I think that suits Archers music perfectly. And I love to listen to
 their lyrics..... (End)

 Tomorrow it is the big Ben Folds-day!!!  Show in Malmo, Sweden.

 Take care!!!
 Jonas Nilsson
 eng96jni@lustudat.student.lu.se

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:55:12 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Donna L. Hokanson" <hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu>
 Subject: Re: BFF on compilation CD

 I just read that Ben Folds Five has a song on the "Rare on Air-Volume 3"
 compilation CD -- a benefit CD for a radio station out of Santa Monica
 CA-KCRW.  Other artists--Cowboy Junkies (doing State Trooper by Bruce
 Springsteen), Luna, Patti Smith, Sterolab.

 Donna

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:15:03 -0500
 From: WABN Radio <wabn@naxs.com>
 Subject: Rockford files

 All of you people asking What The Hell Are The Rockford Files are making me
 feel quite ancient.  Am I the only one out there who couldn't wait for Jim's
 answering machine to pick up?

 PJ

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 21:23 GMT0
 From: Peter Johnson <pjohnsonc@cix.compulink.co.uk>
 Subject: Who was support?!

 Ok then =) Who was support at the BF5 gig in Sheffield Uk? Please email
 me personally if poss. Because i don't get chance to read these much =)
 Thanks

 Holli

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:10:26 -0000
 From: Tom Whitaker <tom@tw.prestel.co.uk>
 Subject: Gig Review!

 On the last armchair, there was a message from me saying that I'd just seen
 BF5 in Sheffield. Now that I've regained control of my body, here's a
 review:

 I'd already seen Ben and the gang live last November in this very same
 venue, the Sheffield Leadmill. It was the second greatest gig of my LIFE
 (after the Stone Roses - please don't let that comment trigger another
 barrage of 'Indie Kid' / 'Stone Roses - Overrated' posts!!), and they gave
 the best live PERFORMANCE of anyone I've EVER seen (Roses included), with
 all sorts of piano dancing, crowd involving, '...Radio Star' / 'Champagne
 Supernova' covering going on. At the time, no-one at the gig seemed to know
 any of the stuff (most of the crowd there for the nightclub that followed
 the gig), but a few devout fans at the front got the whole place going -
 brilliant!

 Having only had a few days to learn the lyrics to 'Whatever...', so the
 opening song ('Missing The War') was met with a slightly muted response
 from the crowd, even though everyone there was a fan. Following it with
 'Where's Summer B?' B-side was another strange choice. However, with the
 classic 'Philosophy' (I think that's what it was - the whole thing is now a
 blur of joy!), the crowd and gig got into full swing, and by the half-way
 mark, all of the 'slowies' (brilliant though they are) were out of the way,
 including a fantastic version of the god-like 'Brick' (Robert on Double
 Bass), even if I seemed to be the only one who knew the words! Still, I
 sang along, and it was totally top.

 Then came the barrage of upbeat beauties from the Ben Folds Back Catalogue
 - highlights including Uncle Walter, Underground (Introduced with a
 three-way conversation in which Darren proclaimed, "I've got a bad rash" -
 V.Funny in the context), One Angry Dwarf, Song For The Dumped (even greater
 live!), Steven's...., BoWCCL....... Everything they played was fantastic.

 I can't remember the exact set-list, but they did all of 'Whatever...'
 except Smoke, Cigarette and Evaporated, and most of the debut (what about
 Jackson Cannery?...sniff).
 Then they came back on for a storming encore of 'Julianne', which started
 off so slowly that half of us didn't recognise it, but built to faster than
 normal through the first verse, and proceeded to kick ass until the last
 chord (for which Ben had to wander around the stage to find a stool to dive
 off at the keys, just like on the cover to the original Underground
 single!).

 Great gig, all told.

 I know that was quite a long review, but I think this might interest you:
 At the last gig, some girl in the 'moshpit' nicked Ben's shoe. She dropped
 it and it ended up with one of my friends (he saw it as the crowd cleared
 at the end, so couldn't give it back). In the Sheffield Telegraph newspaper
 printed a few days before the gig, Ben revealed that he'd had to borrow a
 roadie's shoe to walk around the next day! He also said that they wouldn't
 play unless the shoe came back (jokingly).

 When, at the gig, we claimed to have it, they didn't believe we'd brought
 it back. When we finally waved it at Ben, he said Jim (my mate) could keep
 it! THEN, at the end of the gig, he asked a roadie if he could take it
 backstage and get it signed. When the roadie came back, Ben was in tow. He
 signed the shoe (to Jim, the thieving bastard, love Ben Folds) - the
 coolest BFF memorabilia (can I use that word when they're still going)
 ever? We all then mobbed Ben and got our tickets signed. Half an hour
 later, he was still signing, and Darren and Robert had both joined him. How
 cool is that? How many other bands would do that? THEY ARE SO COOL!

 Although they deserve to be the most-loved band ever, I know they'll never
 be the same at a big gig. I know you'll all go see them ANYWHERE, but try
 and catch them in a small venue (i.e. not supporting the Counting Crows) if
 you can. Having said that.....they'll be great anywhere.
 (SORRY FOR THE LENGTHY POST - YOU SAID WE HAD TO POST A REVIEW!)

 That is all.
 TOM WHITAKER.
 Hollywood Cental -
 http:\\www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/3139.

 Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:02:27 -0500 (EST)
 From: PhairTwo@aol.com
 Subject: details

 today i got my new issue of details and there were three awesome articles in
 it. first, i noticed an article on ben folds five, then one on jamiroquai,
 and then one on the smiths. i was very excited....but i haven't had a chance
 to read it yet (i read from the beginning to the end).  anyway, just thought
 you'd like to know.

 -bess
 p.s.-hi nick!

 Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 03:07:07 -0500 (EST)
 From: MARK400@aol.com
 Subject: Edgefest '97

      I just found out today that BF5 will be playing Edgefest '97 on April
 20th here in Dallas.  Who else will be there?  See ya' there!

 MARK400

 Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 03:16:26 -0500 (EST)
 From: NakedVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BoWCCL transcription

 I picked up the free BoWCCL single and decided to take a crack at
 transcribing it.  So for those of you in the States, now you can play it
 before you can buy it! :-)  Here are my notes on this transcription:

  - Gm/Eb means a Gm chord with your right hand and Eb notes with your
     left hand.
  - A plus (+) means you make the note sharp.  So G3+ means that you
     make the third sharp, so you play a C (B-sharp) instead of a B.
  - 3Gm means you play the Gm in the third inversion (D-G-Bb, instead
     of G-Bb-D). I invented this notation since I didn't know how
     else to write it.
  - Notes or chords with a dash between them are played more quickly.
  - The asterisks don't mean anything.  They're just to make it pretty.

 There are almost certainly some mistakes here (especially with the lyrics).
  I did the best I could.  Maybe someone with a better ear can tweak this and
 re-post it.  Who was that guy who transcribed most of the debut CD for us
 some months ago?

 BATTLE OF WHO COULD CARE LESS, by Ben Folds (Five)
  this sorry transcription by Michael Bluejay (3/97) NakedVegan@aol.com

 (INTRO: DOO-DOO-DOO)

 Darren: |: D  C  Bb   C-Bb-Ab  *  Ab  Bb-C--Bb  *  Gb  Ab-Bb-Ab :|
 Robert: |: B  A  G    A-G--F   *  F   G--Ab-G   *  Eb  F--Gb-F  :|
 Chords: |: G..F..Eb........Db  *  Db........Eb  *  B.........Db :|

 (DOO-DOO, ending)

 Darren:  Bb-C--Bb     *  C-D--C
 Robert:  G--Ab-G      *  A-Bb-A
 Chords:  ......Ebmaj7 *  .....F

 (VERSE)

      G            F6          Gm/Eb    F6-F6-Gm/Eb
        You're not hearing me any more.

 (Gm/Eb)             F                 Fm/Db
        I know it's not your thing to care.

          Fm7/Db    3Gm/Eb        G
        I know it's cool to be so bored.

    (G)             F6             Gm/Eb   F6-F6-Gm/Eb
        It sucks me in when you're aloof.

 (Gm/Eb)             F              Fm/Db
        It sucks me in, it sucks it works.

          Fm7/Db     3Gm/Eb     F
        I guess it's cool to be alone.

 (CHORUS)

                 3Eb/C  Bb F
        Will you nev----er rest?

        2Eb/C                  F3+/Bb         F
        Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less?

        3Eb    Bb      F       Eb
        Every day you wake up blank.

      C                    G7
        Sometimes I wish I was that way.

 (DOO-DOO-DOO part, one time)

 (VERSE 2)

        You think Rockford Files is cool.
        But there are some things
        that you would change if it were up to you.
        Something about your masterpiece.  (Yeah yeah yeah yeah.)
        Watch the Rockford Files
        and call to see if Paul can score some weed.
 (CHORUS)

        Do you never rest?
        Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less.
        Uttered unhappiness.
        Well that's all right I guess.

 (BRIDGE)

 Darren's doos: |: A  Bb   *   A  Bb  C  Bb  A   *   A  B  :|
 Robert's doos: |: F  G    *   F  G   A  G   F   *   F  G  :|
 Chords:        |: Ebmaj7............................G.... :|

        C    D   G7          C7
        I've got this great idea.

      C              D               G7               C7
        Why don't we pitch it to the Franklin F***in' Mint?

        C           D             G7      C          G3+/Eb
        Fine pewter portraits of, General Apathy and Major Boredom.

                G                  Eb (faint)
        Singin', "Whatever and ever, amen."

 (VERSE 3)

       Gm/Eb  F           Fm/Db  Eb
        Oh    well, maybe not,     try again.
        Well this should cheer you up for sure.
        You see I've got your old ID.
        You're all dressed up like the Cure.

 (CHORUS)

        Ya never rest.
        Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less.
        Uttered unhappiness.
        You're my hero I confess.

 Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:07:59 +0000
 From: Giles Wilson <sofpyc@net1.nw.com.au>
 Subject: Sound Bites

 Haven't been able to secure a copy of the new album here in Perth
 yet...nobody knows who BFF are which is quite disturbing.

 Anyway, if anyone has taken the time to put snippets of BFF songs on
 the Net, could they tell me?

 TVM
 --
 Giles Wilson