Issue #205 - March 24, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #205

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.
     * If you attend a show, you must post a review!

Topics for Today:

      Ben Folds..What else? ;)
      The hidden track
      WARNING!!! Realistic Comments About the New Album!!! AT OWN RIS
      BF5 Chicago Date (3/24)
      st. louis and chicago shows
      Congrats Frank
      s, c, & c; as well as steve
      BFF concert in Atlanta.
      Free Stuff
      Pissed at Ben
      A Radio Void
      ben and such
      Oh please oh please, interview on JJJ
      New Album
      Re: BFF, Klezmer Music, etc.
      bff and me
      philadelphia
      Argh--I can't hold out much longer...
      "I got your hidden track right here!"

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:10:56 -0500 (EST)
 From: Cranie@aol.com
 Subject: Ben Folds..What else? ;)

 Well, this is my first post and I must say it is nice to see you all!
 First let me tell you about my first experience meeting the Fab Five. It was
 in RI at the Met Cafe around 2 years ago. It was early and Darren was sitting
 at the bar having a drink. I recognized him and went over to talk. I got him
 to sign my copy of the debut and asked him where Ben and Robert were. He had
 them come over and sign my disk also. Really nice guys, and Ben is completely
 different off stage than on.  He was timid while talking to me and a wild man
 onstage. I remembered hearing Song for the Dumped that night and was pleased
 to see it on the new release which I bought the day it came out 'natch.
 My opinion? A bit more down and more ballads than the first. However a great
 sophomore effort.
 I'm going to see them at the Tempe AZ show in April. Anybody else going?
 It's sure to be great. Well take care all and I'll post a review of the show
 afterwards.

 Mike Gervasi

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:22:50 -0500 (EST)
 From: Cranie@aol.com
 Subject: The hidden track

 Ok. So what's up with the "Hidden track? Here's your hidden track. Ben Folds
 is a F*%^G   Asshole!!"  ?

 Where did they get this, who is it and why would Ben put it on the end of the
 album?

 Mike Gervasi

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:32:54 -0500 (EST)
 From: Jason Martin <un036034@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
 Subject: WARNING!!! Realistic Comments About the New Album!!! AT OWN RISK!!!

 Well, here's my take, track by track:

 1.  One Angry Dwarf-  Highest energy of any of the tracks...maybe the best
 song on here, but it wasn't exclusively new for this album (a point I will
 make later).  Rating: 10

 2.  Fair-  Not a bad song...nice harmonies etc.  Rating: 7.5

 3.  Brick-  ARGH!  I would just like to comment that there are TOO MANY
 FRIGGIN BALLADS ON THIS CD!  BFF is all about high energy, high
 performance music.  Some slow-downs are fine, by all means, but this album
 (as I will further elaborate) has too many.  That said, Brick is the best
 of the soppy slow pieces of crap.  It's actually quite a good tune.
 RATING: 7

 4.  Song for the Dumped-  Okay, I'm spoiled.  I've seen this showstopper
 in concert and it was a billion times better.  But I take this song with
 the same grain of salt that I take a Dave Matthews record...you just can't
 imitate the live show on cd.  This is of course a classic, just wish they
 could have squeezed something more out of it.  RATING: 9

 5.  Selfless-  Hi, I'm Ben Folds.  I'm the bastard love child of Billy
 Joel and the Peanuts guy (props to Bruce Herrier).  This song absolutely
 sucks.  It's not what BFF is about.  I once read that Ben said that any
 song he writes that sounds remotely like Billy Joel, he tosses out.  Well
 not this one.  This is pure crap, and it seems like on this and the
 remaining ballads they said piss off to Robert and Darren, who don't get
 their just desserts on tracks like this.  RATING: 3.5

 6.  Kate-  Great song.  Rollicky, classic.  RATING: 9

 7.  Smoke-  Bah.  The only thing saving this song are the accompanying
 instruments.  Still very bad, very sappy, not enough Robert and Darren.
 RATING: 4

 8.  Cigarette-  Needless on the record.  Absoutely.  I HATE this track
 it's a waste.  RATING: 1

 9.  Steven's Last Night-  Another one I heard in concert, but the
 Klezmatics bolster this song.  It's great.  Can't miss.  Blah blah blah.
 RATING: 9

 10.  Battle of Who-  Up there with Dwarf for best song...I can see this
 doing some good on radio if people pick it up and its marketed right.
 This has all the elements a BFF song should.  RATING: 9.5

 11.  Missing The War-  Pure crap.  Thank you Billy Joel, the Antichrist.
 RATING: 2

 12.  Evaporated-  Not quiiiite as bad as the other ones due to
 accompaniment again.  But still not top quality.  RATING: 5

 Well, there you have it.  I just think that Robert and Darren aren't
 featured enough here.  The last cd was BEN FOLDS FIVE not Ben Folds and 2
 other guys.  Is he a Sony sellout?  Indie gone big label gone crap?  No,
 this cd is still solid, I like it more each time.  But 7 ballads out of 12
 tracks is too much.  Where's the energy of Julianne or Uncle Walter?
 Where's the quirky lyrics and inventiveness of Underground?  You can't
 count Dwarf, Dumped, of Steven because those were old songs.  Only Battle
 and Kate stand out among the 9 I've never heard before.

 Overall rating: 7-8

 If you're new to the group, by all means get the first record first.  Find
 out what BFF is supposed to mean.  That album is easily a 10 in any book.

 Sincerely,

 Jason Martin
 WVU

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:50:08 -0600 (CST)
 From: "Michael R. Michau" <michaumi@rs6000.lewisu.edu>
 Subject: BF5 Chicago Date (3/24)

 Hey
 Anyone out there live in the Joliet area in IL?
 I need a ride to the Bf5 Metro (Chicago) show on Thurs.,
 april 24...
 I picked up the two free BF5 single Cd's yesterday...
 They are absolutely hilarious!!! Pick them up soon...
 The store I went to (Crow's Nest, Crest Hill, IL) only
 had four of each..but now they have no more than three
 of each...
 btw I go to Lewis University in Romeoville...
 OK hope to hear from somebody soon...

 Mike Michau

 "I got this pain in my heart, that's all" - Underground
 michaumi@lewisu.edu

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:27:06 -0600 (CST)
 From: Megan Hope Foster <mhfoster@artsci.wustl.edu>
 Subject: st. louis and chicago shows

 THE NEW ALBUM SUCKS!!!!

 hah--made you all look. judging by the four issues that were waiting for
 me in my mailbox this morning, it seems that everyone has the album and
 has comments/praises for it. suffice it to say that i had unbelievably
 high expectations for this record, and the guys surpassed those ten-fold.
 they never cease to amaze all of us!

 i just bought tix to the st. louis show at the galaxy, and will be buying
 tix for the chicago show tomorrow, when they go on sale. to everyone in
 st. louis (benjy, bill, rahoolio, anyone i might have missed), see you
 there on april 22!

 i'm off to listen to the best album of '97...megan.

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:33:01 -0500 (EST)
 From: Tocadisco@aol.com
 Subject: Congrats Frank

 Hi,
 Just want to congratulate Frank on making the Thanks on the BFF CD.  All your
 hard work is being rewarded and you certainly deserve it.

 Aww, i remember the ol' days of the Ben Folds Five Digest...

 :.(.....

 Those were some pretty good days
 eric

     [They're still pretty good, aren't they? -fjm]

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:50:09 -0600 (CST)
 From: Megan Hope Foster <mhfoster@artsci.wustl.edu>
 Subject: s, c, & c; as well as steve

 the "sharp ears" awards go to:

 bruce, who gave the absolutely wonderful comparison of ben's piano work in
 "selfless" and vince guaraldi. ben's gotta be a fan of mr. guaraldi, don't
 you think?

 also too whomever picked out the telephone ringing in "steven's last
 night..." excellent ears. :)

 we will pick this album apart the way "sgt. pepper" was 30 years ago!!!!
 crowd around your cd players tonight!!! listen, listen well, and enjoy!!!

 megan.

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:01:08 -0500
 From: Nick Caruso <roccoscarfazzi@mobters.com>
 Subject: BFF concert in Atlanta.

 Well I finally got the new CD and it is really great just as I expected. I
 still cant seem to find a record store in the Atlanta area that has the free
 singles so if anyone has any info let me know. I just found out yesterday
 that Ben and the boys will be playing at the annual Atlanta Music Midtown
 music festival this year. The concert lasts for three days( may 2,3,4) and
 involves over 150 bands this year. They will be playing with such bands as
 ZZ Top and Steve Miller, along with newer bands like Cake, the Wall flowers,
 Better than Ezra, and SilverChair. This will be my third time seeing the
 boys live in Atlanta in two years!! I am so psyched up! The first time I sa
 them was at a free concert they did in Atlanta and I was the first person in
 line and was lucky enough to meet and speak to Ben, Darren and Robert for
 about 5 minutes and it was on of the greatest experiences of my life. Anyway
 if anyone wants more info on music midtown write me.

 Nick Caruso  roccoscarfazzi@mobsters.com

 "I think about my friends sometimes I wish they lived out here, but they
 wouldn't dig this town, no they wouldn't dig this town!" -Alex Childress: BFF

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:00:15 -0500
 From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
 Subject: Free Stuff

 hey, uhh... could someone maybe grab me a copy of one (or both) free
 singles? 'Cause there's nowhere I can go around here to get them. Or, if
 not, could someone make a .wav file out of some of the b-sides and
 *definately not post them up on a web page* because that's probably
 illegal....

 And, I heard that the BOWCCL video was on MTV's M2 hour a while ago.... any
 chance it'll be on there again soon?

 The new album has begun to grow on me, I didn't like it much at first. Oh,
 since none of you really care, here's my story: I got their first album
 about 6 months ago, listened to it one or twice, and wasn't too impressed,
 put it away for a few months... then about a month and a half ago got it
 out and listened to it with the volume WAY up, and I loved it. Subscribed
 to this list, bought the new album, and that's all.
 -ec, you don't know me

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:00:36 -0500 (EST)
 From: DMedsker@aol.com
 Subject: Pissed at Ben

 So, they finally announce tour dates for Ben in Chicago. He's coming on April
 24.

 And I'll be in South Africa until April 26.

 Why didn't he call and tell me? I could have rescheduled, or something...

 All my friends get to see him. I have to wait until next time. Grrr....

 On the upside, the new album is lovely. Curent fave: Selfless, Cold and
 Composed.

 Audi,

 David M

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:12:03 -0600
 From: Mike Zipko <MZipko@nhbpr.com>
 Subject: A Radio Void

 Minneapolis and St. Paul have been treated to a solid dose of BFF by one of
 the greatest alternative radio stations to ever send out a signal - REV 105.
 They have played BFF from the start  and were adding the new single when
 Disney bought the station and turned into a heavy metal retread. This is a
 bit of a rant. The new album is great and for those who can hear it on local
 radio, enjoy, you never appreciate things until they are gone.

 M.Zipko
 mzipko@nhbpr.com

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:10:12 -0500 (EST)
 From: ShirowFan@aol.com
 Subject: ben and such

 ben= cool. There was an article in this week's Entertainment Weekly that put
 them in the category of "nerd rock". damn fools. We'll show them. We'll show
 them all. Anyhoo, there's an e-mail address for the faboo three in da new
 album (bffmail@aol. com)

 saw ben in Chapel Hill (my uncle owns a sporting goods store that ben and
 friends frequent) and chatted with him. nice guy. neat gams. He gave me some
 of their imports (tom and mary, Jackson Cannery Detox #7, etc) and his
 address to tell him what i thought. Great guy.

 A question: If ben and the others got their legs caught in bear traps, would
 they gnaw them off to get to safety? Something to ponder.

 Keep Away from Open Flame,

 Dave-o

 Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:34:58 +1000
 From: Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>
 Subject: Oh please oh please, interview on JJJ

 Hey people,

    There is an interview on JJJ tonight with BFF.  I hope this list gets out
 by then!!!  :)  If not, UNLUCKY!!!  But anyway, if someone does by chance
 tape the interview, wannna post it up here?  I can't listen to it coz (Here
 comes me brag for the day) I'm going to see They Might Be Giants...
 Apparently Richard Kingsmill is doing it.

 BYE!!!
 Ad.

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:05:02 -0500 (EST)
 From: NBoski@aol.com
 Subject: New Album

 I listen to a lot (I mean A LOT) of music, and "Brick" is one of the best
 songs I have ever heard.

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:12:28 -0500
 From: Marc Barinbaum <machshev@erols.com>
 Subject: Re: BFF, Klezmer Music, etc.

 I'm probably one of the "senior" members of this list (I'm
 10 years older than Ben). I listened to "Steven's Last Night in Town"
 twice to be sure that I heard Klezmer violins. Then I read the
 CD cover and alas.... Ben and the boys were accompanied by some
 Klezmatics. It's quite interesting to me that a guy from N.C. can
 appreciate Klezmer music. North Carolina is generally not known
 as a mecca for Klezmer <grin>.

 Fortunately, I was in Philadelphia for business this week and was
 able to hear songs from "Whatever and Ever Amen" featured on WXPN.
 If only some of the lame radio stations in the metro DC area would
 play BFF!

 Marc Barinbaum
 Bethesda, Maryland

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:54:31 -0800 (PST)
 From: Pollyanna Rhee <jrhee@wolfenet.com>
 Subject: bff and me

 Well, I just thought I'd send an intro post to the list about myself...
 Well, basically BFF is one of the few American groups that I truly love and
 go crazy about (I'm an Anglophile, mostly I listen to British music),
 actually besides Blur, BFF is my favourite band...  I got into the band
 last summer when a friend of mine from England told me it took her forever
 to find the "Where's Summers B?" single and how great it was.  Well, I got
 curious and started looking around and ended up finding the single and
 album here, along with the 2 "Underground" singles, so I got those, liked
 them, and gradually the stuff started growing more and more on me until I
 saw "BOWCCL" video on 120 and then I knew they were definitely at least #2
 to Blur... I'm moving to North Carolina this fall to stalk Ben, well, to go
 to Wake Forest actually.  Right now, I live in Washington and I got the two
 "BOWCCL" singles free the other day, I made a friend skip calc with me and
 drive 35 miles to Ellensburg so I could get both singles.  If anyone wants
 live/rare Blur and has live BFF, let me know, I am a truly obsessed Blur
 fan.

 The band is going to be in Seattle and I won't be cos the tickets were too
 expensive and I loathe Counting Crows anyways, maybe when I move to W-S.

 I'm not getting Whatever and Ever Amen until next week, since I'm broke
 which really sucks.  Oh, I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but when I
 first heard of the band I thought to myself "Ben folds five what?  What's
 he folding?" I'm usually not that moronic.

 Cheers,
 Pollyanna

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:30:53 -0500 (EST)
 From: Treesapper@aol.com
 Subject: philadelphia

 Hey...any philly fans on the Armchair?  Be in touch if you're going to the
 4/30 show at the TLA...what's the deal with the opening band, Komeda?  Are
 they local?

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:36:57 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Christian L. Gindlesperger" <clg6@po.CWRU.Edu>
 Subject: Argh--I can't hold out much longer...

 The good news is that I won the new CD last Sunday when 107.9
 The End played the living hell out of BoWCCL during a "Win It
 Before You Can Buy It Week-end". Sure I wasted a week-end glued
 to the phone, but it was worth it in the end. The only problem
 is the station is sending it through the mail, and I'm now realizing
 that though I WON it be for I could buy it, I may not actually
 HAVE it, or more importantly be able to LISTEN to it before I
 could buy it. It is taking great perserverance of will for me
 not to go out at buy a second copy anyway...Hurry up USPS!

 To those y'all you can't get on to BFFWeb... I hear your pain,
 had the same problem myself, but I managed to find a functioning
 link (a secret backdoor?) to the page. Get onto sony's music site,
 and then search their web server for "free import" or "Battle" or
 something pretaining to the single, if you're looking for the coupon.
 I can't guarantee it'll work, but it may be worth a shot. I managed
 to nab myself a copy of the 'Champagne Supernova' single (thanks to
 my good friend Dawn!), and I must admit it is amusing, but I probably
 wouldn't have dispensed my own samolians for it. I'm still dying to
 hear the Fanny Pack fiasco...

 Good planning BFF tour management! Not only did you pick a choice
 venue for the Cleveland show (the Odeon is rockerific), but you conven-
 iently chose the week-end of the end of my semester! Cool way to end
 classes.

 Alright, I seem to have run out of things to say. Everyone who has
 the record already, enjoy it, and sing a few bars for poor ol'
 "Whatever"-less me...Until later!

 					As Always,
 						Christian

 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:43:52 -0600 (CST)
 From: DANIEL H MEANS <dhm5211@omega.uta.edu>
 Subject: "I got your hidden track right here!"

 Hi all, I've found it odd that with all the reviews of the new album no one
 has expressed how funny they found the 'hidden track' more than a minute
 after 'Evaporated'. When I first listened all the way through and my CD
 didn't stop I thought "Woo hoo, an unlisted hidden song!"  Then after a
 minute or so all I get is "I got your hidden track right here...Ben
 Folds is a f***ing a**hole...!" I laughed out loud when I heard it, and
 then felt disappointed and cheated that there was no song. What a buncha
 teases.                                   byebyebye,Daniel.

                     For all it's worth, she got attention