Issue #207 - March 27, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #207

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.
     * If you attend a show, you must post a review!

Topics for Today:

      'Whatever...' CD package design.
      Good News/Bad News
      that Astoria gig
      Re: My two cents of new album review
      Review
      Lighten up, review-boy.
      pot references
      BFF- Vince Guaraldi
      At least he hasn't stolen from Horace Silver yet...
      washington date?
      NY or no NY?
      BF5 in Austin on 4/18
      Too Slow?
      Re: BFF: "distorted bass"
      Opening Band for the Phily show.
      Just another review...and "Smoke"
      Ballad Hater Misses the Point
      Finally!
      FREE VIDEO!!!
      BFF on THE BOX
      Here's another One From me

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 97 12:51:00 PST
 From: "Riley, Adrian D [DBE]" <A.D.Riley@lmu.ac.uk>
 Subject: 'Whatever...' CD package design.

 I don't know if anyone else has noticed (or even cares for that matter), but
 I thought I'd put my education & experience to use and comment on the
 'anti-design'/ 'anti-alternativerock-CD-packaging' of 'Whatever'.

 The CD notes confess that the band had a hand in the design and I reckon the
 handwritten text & badly printed Polaroid photos are a deliberate attempt to
 avoid poncy/arty packaging that so many bands CDs display. It looks poorly
 designed and rather cheap when put alongside the usual stuff in your local
 record store. Of course, that doesn't stop it from being immensely cool for
 exactly the same reasons.

 The colour of the CD itself (which clashes horribly with the insert) is the
 exact same shade of orange as the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion album
 'orange'. Deliberate? I think so, 'orange' could be seen as typical poncy
 packaging (an all-silver and orange cardboard pack with minimal sans serif
 text).

 I think BFFs packaging is just an extension of their attitude to the
 'alternative' rock scene. Good on them I say.

 (comments are based on the UK edition - packaging may differ in other
 countries - I'd like to know if your copy looks different to mine).

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 07:50:33 -0500 (EST)
 From: ADuralde@aol.com
 Subject: Good News/Bad News

 The good news is that record-store-employee boyfriend snagged me a promo copy
 of Whatever two weeks ago, and I have been listening to nothing else since,
 and I love the whole damn thing from ballads to rave-ups. (Best BFF Moment to
 Date: sitting in my car in a dark, empty parking lot holding hands with the
 above-mentioned b.f., listening to "Evaporated." Maybe you had to be there.)

 Bad News -- I don't get to see BFF when they play Edgefest in Dallas, because
 it's during the USA Film Festival and I, uh, kinda work there and it would
 look bad if I ducked out to go catch a show, even from my current favorite
 band. I just get all (*&)(#$&)(*#&$)(@#*$&)(@#*$ when I even think about it.

 But such is life. Thanks for tipping me to the "hidden track" -- i taped the
 cd and have been rewinding after the end of "Evaporated," so i've been
 missing it.

 Fave tracks (if anyone cares): Dwarf, Brick, Kate, Battle, Steven, Evaporated
 -- but all are ultra-fab.

 Bye bye bye bye bye bye bye, well I've come to take you home,

 Alonso
 (An arranged marriage is not so good)

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 12:47:19 +0000
 From: Marsh <winkie@easynet.co.uk>
 Subject: that Astoria gig

 Kelly from Swansea wrote (amongst other things)

 >  The evening began slowly with support bands Fountains of Wayne
 >  (Kula Shaker Junior?!,- London only), and Komeda (Retro, seventies,

 that was Fountains of Wayne????  surely not...

 >  Unfortunately, we missed out on having such gems as Jackson Cannery
 >  and Emaline (Fantastic melody!) performed to us, but instead got

 No, Emaline was there, right after Missing The War!

 Chris
 ___

 "There are no rules here, only piles of mistakes
  That we swear we'll learn from, then we just go ahead and make"
 Dog's Eye View "What I Know Now"

 winkie@easynet.co.uk

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:48:02 -0500 (EST)
 From: Mitch Armbruster <marmbru@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: Re: My two cents of new album review

 Well, I haven't posted in a long time, but I got the new album last
 Tuesday, and feel compelled to share my feelings!

 Although everyone has a right to their own opinion, I have to disagree
 with Jason Martin's opinion of the new album - i.e., too many slow songs
 = bad album.

 The new album is definitely a progression from the first one, which is the
 way it should be.  If it sounded just like the first, you would get bored
 of it and wonder if they were a one-act show, like the Ramones or
 something.

 I think Ben and the boys just made the album they wanted to make and
 didn't care what anyone else thought, and I thinks it is brilliant.  They
 won't be famous, but that is OBVIOUSLY no judge of talent.  I am reminded
 of older bands like XTC, Elvis Costello, etc., that were able to churn out
 many albums of great material, even if some didn't have a killer single.

 MY FAVORITE SONGS: Well, I really love about all of them.  I guess my
 least favorite ones are Fair and Smoke.  Kate is a great little tune, and
 Brick is one step short of masterpiece.  (Hey, does anyone know the chortd
 progression of Kate, at least the bridge part - I'm too lazy to figure it
 out). I agree with others that you can
 hear some Vince Guaraldi type stylings on the album.  I hear it a little
 bit in BowCCL, in the opening chord changes progression.

 REALLY ODD SIMILARITIES:  For some reason, when I first heard One Angry
 Dwarf it reminded my a little bit of the first song off of Roxy Music's
 Country Life album (circa 1974!) I don't know why, but it is just a little
 connection, I guess because both are first tracks with a driving piano
 opening.  Also, Smoke reminds me a little bit of Lost in the Flood? off
 the first Bruce Springsteen album in parts of it at least.  Ok! I swear
 I am not lost in the 70's!! I don't wear bellbottoms!!

 WELL, thanks for reading my rantings.  I have to go listen to the new
 album again!!!!!

 - Mitch Armbruster
   Chapel Hill, NC

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:13:46 -0500
 From: Brendan O'Neill <bon2onov@atlas.moa.net>
 Subject: Review

 Hello, bffers!  In last week's Detroit Free Press, they had a very good
 review of "Whatever" They gave it four stars.  Read it at
 www.freep.com/fun/sj/qsound/0316.1.htm  I couldn't get it on here.  Had a
 Copy/paste problem.  The hidden track is cool.

 Novi High School
 Novi Community Schools

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:28:44 -0500 (EST)
 From: Brad654@aol.com
 Subject: Lighten up, review-boy.

 << there are TOO MANY FRIGGIN BALLADS ON THIS CD! BFF is all about high
 energy, high performance music. >>

 Seems to me BF5 is about whatever BF5 decides it's about. I like the record.
 If you don't, don't listen to it.

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:29:10 -0400 (AST)
 From: Daniel MacEachern <dmaceach@is2.dal.ca>
 Subject: pot references

 I laughed when I read the post who suggested that BOWCCL would get some
 attention because of its pot reference. You might be right. It's true that
 an easy way to get
 people to think you're cool is to mention marijuana - a lot of pot-smokers
 seem to feel obligated to like something if it has to do with weed in any
 way. Not everyone, but this whole resurgence of marijuana's popularity I
 find very funny, just because I don't think it's such a big deal. I've
 smoked it, whoop-de-doo. I don't feel the need to buy a Canadian flag with
 a marijuana leaf instead of a maple leaf, or posters of aliens smoking
 joints saying "take me to your dealer."
 Get over your bad selves, it's only marijuana.

 Daniel
 Halifax

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:33:28 -0800
 From: Jody Rosen <therosens@worldnet.att.net>
 Subject: BFF- Vince Guaraldi

 I find the comparisons between Ben's playing on "Selfless, Cold and
 Composed" and Vince Guaraldi interesting. Suddenly, Tammy!, the
 Lancaster, PA band which also uses a vocals-piano-bass-drums lineup,
 covers Guaraldi's "Linus and Lucy", perhaps one of the most famous "6th
 grade piano lesson" type songs. If you hung out in the band room in high
 school, you heard this song, because some twerp was sitting at the
 Steinway reliving his formative years. God bless the twerps in Suddenly,
 Tammy!

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:16:14 -0500 (EST)
 From: Rahoolio@aol.com
 Subject: At least he hasn't stolen from Horace Silver yet...

 Gang,
    Since there are still three or four bands BF5 hasn't been compared to, I
 feel compelled to mark another one off the list...
    I turned the car off during "Selfless, Cold and Composed" yesterday, and
 as a result the song lingered in my head for a few minutes.  To my surprise,
 it eventually kind of morphed into "Your Gold Teeth II" by Steely Dan, from
 "Katy (not, er, Kate) Lied".  Yeah, and the Guaraldi thing is definitely
 there too.  In fact, at the record store where I work, we have many customers
 who buy only jazz--and a couple of them have heard Ben on the stereo and
 asked who it was, complimenting him on his playing.  So the boy's good; the
 jazz cats dig him.  Hopefully Ben won't "outgrow" rock 'n' roll like Joe
 Jackson before him...we need him around.
    See y'all at the shows--
    R.

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:34:16 -0500 (EST)
 From: David Aron Reaboi <dreaboi@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
 Subject: washington date?

 Has a Washington DC date been posted yet for this tour?

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 12:20:45 -0500
 From: Mike Piccuirro <mikeman@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
 Subject: NY or no NY?

 Ok, by some act of divine intervention (and a helpful Japanese guy) I
 got the CD about a month before it was released in the states.  When I
 heard about the free CD singles I made calls to about 10 different music
 stores and finally found one which had the disks.  Unfortunately, the
 said CD merchant was not located near me but never-the-less that didn't
 stop me.  Now when I found out that they were playing in Phily at TLA I
 was on those tickets like Oprah on a baked ham.  Now it comes to my
 attention that they are playing at Irving Plaza in NY, not 30 minutes
 from my school and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go.
 Would this be overdoing it?  Do I need help?  I figure if the opening
 band for the show is any good, I'll go. Does anybody know who is opening
 for them?  Is it the same band for the Phily show?   -later.

 homepage http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~mikeman

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:58:02 -0500 (EST)
 From: NakedVegan@aol.com
 Subject: BF5 in Austin on 4/18

 The local paper XLent reports that BF5 will be playing Liberty Lunch here in
 Austin on Friday 4/18.

 Guess whose band will NOT be opening for them. (sniff)

 Anyone from Austin here who wants to go to the show together, give me a call
 (512-467-8516).

 Michael Bluejay

 | bluejay@pobox.com         | If adding me to your address book,           |
 |                           | please use this address.                     |
 |---------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
 | http://pobox.com/"bluejay | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC page, KING CHEESE,      |
 |                           |   BIKING IN AUSTIN, VEGETARIAN pages, & more |

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:13:39 -0500 (EST)
 From: HanCran@aol.com
 Subject: Too Slow?

 Hey-
    Anyone who this there's "too many ballads" or not enough up tempo stuff
 should go buy the new Offspring album and shut the &%#* up. If you can't
 appreciate good music, fast or slow, then you've got no business calling
 yourself a BFF fan.
                                                  Hannah Cranna

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:25:27 -0600 (CST)
 From: Bill Tatalovich <wt3@cec.wustl.edu>
 Subject: Re: BFF: "distorted bass"

 >  I know there's no guitar in the new album.  It's just the bass played
 >  high and distorted.  It's a cool effect.  The reason I thought there
 >  might be is because there are times when you can hear it, and a bass
 >  line.  This is why I think the band did some over sampling, along with
 >  Ben singing over himself.  Again, it all works, and I dig it.

 Okay, I know that this is really being nitpicky, but it's actualy not
 distorted, and it's not always played high.  For the majority of the two
 albums that are now out, Robert uses a fuzz pedal.  Distortion is My
 Bloody Valentine....fuzz is Ben Folds Five.  For that matter, REM used a
 lot of fuzz guitar (and for that matter, distortion and delay and all
 sorts of funky stuff) on _Monster_.  Okay, forgive me for being so
 nitpicky, but I AM a bass player...(oh, and Robert may have bought another
 pedal...I still don't own the album due to being poor, but I've heard it a
 few times)

 Oh yeah.  Ben Folds Five at the Galaxy in St. Louis on April 22.  Anyone
 else here (besides Megan, who already mentioned that she's going) planning
 on going?  Wanna meet up beforehand or something?

 I guess I'll give my take on the new album.  It's true, not as many fast
 songs, a lot of ballads.  Some of the ballads (namely "Brick" and
 "Evaporated") are just beautiful though.  Jesus, did anyone read the
 lyrics to "Brick"?  That's so very very depressing....I love it.

 Okay, I guess I'll get out of here.  See y'all around the Armchair...

 Bill Tatalovich, who is glad he is not in southern Ohio right now like he
 	usually is, considering how BFF is skipping southern Ohio...
 wt3@cec.wustl.edu

 "Look at me, look at me....I'm as useless as can be..."
 	--Bob Mould, "Anymore Time Between"

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:30:30 -0500
 From: Mike Piccuirro <mikeman@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
 Subject: Opening Band for the Phily show.

 > Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:30:53 -0500 (EST)
 >  From: Treesapper@aol.com
 >  Subject: philadelphia
 >
 >  Hey...any philly fans on the Armchair?  Be in touch if you're going to the
 >  4/30 show at the TLA...what's the deal with the opening band, Komeda?  Are
 >  they local?

 You can check out info on the band Komeda who is opening for BFF in
 Phily at TLA at:
 http://www.mc.hik.se/benno/Home/Bands/Bands/Komeda/komeda.html

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:30:03 -0800
 From: Eric Ebert <ebert@cpg.mcw.edu>
 Subject: Just another review...and "Smoke"

 Haven't posted in awhile...just wanted to give my opinion on
 "Whatever...", even though it's exactly like everybody else's!

 The new album is great; it gets a good listen from me every day in my
 car.  I do agree with the many people who stated that it has to grow on
 you.  I didn't care for it much when I brought it home last Tuesday - I
 kind of hate to admit this, but I actually fell asleep during
 "Selfless..."!  But all it takes is that one song to take up residence in
 your gray matter, and that's what happened with "BoWCCL".  It wasn't long
 before I worked my way up to diggin' the whole album (except
 "Cigarette"...not real sure of the purpose of that one).  I also see the
 point made by those that stated that there are too many mellow songs...I
 was hoping for some more up-tempo tunes like "Jackson Cannery" or "Uncle
 Walter" myself.  But then I realized that it's not fair to expect their
 sophmore release to be the same kind of album that the first one was; who
 wants that boring "Let's-Follow-the-Same-Formula-Cuz-it-Worked" crap (ala
 Hootie-and-the-Blowfish) anyway?  All in all, a wonderful follow-up that
 can only be made better by seeing them extend north of Chicago and book a
 gig in Milwaukee (hope hope hope)...

 Btw, does anybody else get chills up their spine when listening to
 "Smoke"?  I know people have expressed their love for "Brick" &
 "Selfless...", but for me "Smoke" is the tune to get emotional over.

 One more day `til the They Might Be Giants 2 disc compilation!
 --
 Eric (who has given up the usage of his nickname, "Erokk",
 for Lent)	<ebert@cpg.mcw.edu>

 "Sanity, you're a madman!" - The Tick
 "What's that blue thing doing here?" - TMBG

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:58:19 -0500 (EST)
 From: THE YANKEE <mcdonpj3@wfu.edu>
 Subject: Ballad Hater Misses the Point

 Some guy from WVU wrote:
  Where's the quirky lyrics and inventiveness of Underground?  You can't
  count Dwarf, Dumped, of Steven becaus those were old songs.  Only Battle
  and Kate stand out among the 9 I've never heard before.
  Overall rating: 7-8
  If you're new to the group, by all means get the first record first.  Find
  out what BFF is supposed to mean.  That album is easily a 10 in any book.
 (end ridiculous comments)

 Jason, you're totally missing the point of the album and BFF. Sure, the
 band rocks harder than just about anyone, but that's not why they're
 there.  If that was the case, they'd be half the band they are.
 	The last time I saw the 5, Ben played a "risky encore" in F that
 sounded a bit like Jackson Browne, that was absolutely gorgeous.  Some
 idiot in the crowd yelled, "too slow!"  in the middle of it.  Robert and
 Darren came out for two more songs, and before they went into Jackson
 Cannery, Robert saido whoever yelled 'too slow,'  F*&^ You!!"
 	That song was "Evaporated."  (Maybe you were that guy yelling)
 The band's goal, as it says in the semi-funny semi-meaning ful liner
 notes, says it was made to end the boring stream of pop that is out
 there.  If the boys eschewed ballads that are quality songs (which they
 are) then they'd be no better.  If you're going to reject the ballads on
 the album because they don't fit into the
 paradign of what you like because they're
 different tempo or tone, you've become the
 kind of fan that BFF is tired of seeing
 other bands write for.  Darren and Robert
 support these songs live, and they do have
 their chances to shine.
 	Lighten up and open your ears to another side of the band. I hope
 the next album shows us something as different as this was from the original.

 Patrick

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:17:26 -0500 (EST)
 From: Michele <mmenuck@umich.edu>
 Subject: Finally!

 Thanks to whoever posted the "BFF in Detroit" info.
 I am now the proud holder of my very own ticket to the April 25th show at
 St. Andrews Hall.  Yay. The best $10 I ever spent.

 Menuck

 Michele R. Menuck
 University of Michigan
 mmenuck@umich.edu
 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mmenuck

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:24:52 -0500 (EST)
 From: POET060875@aol.com
 Subject: FREE VIDEO!!!

 The new album ROX!!!!  When I purchased the album at Tower Records, I also
 received a free bumper sticker and home video....  The video is great.  It
 was shot at their home recording studio in Chapel Hill.  Ben, Robert, and
 Darren once again prove that they are not only talented musicians, but
 hilarious individuals.  For anyone who can get their hands on this FREE
 promotional video ---  DO IT!!  It's a great inside look at those wonderful
 and lovely boys we call Ben Folds Five....

 Carrie

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:17:05 -0400
 From: Doug_McVehil@Sonymusic.Com
 Subject: BFF on THE BOX

 The "Battle Of Who Could Care Less" video will be available on THE BOX
 music video network starting Wednesday 3/26.

 Just tune in to THE BOX, dial the local request phone number and order
 Selection # 581 to see the video on demand, when you want to see it, as
 often as you want to see it.

 THE BOX = Music Television YOU control.

 Thanks,

 - Doug.

 Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:23:46 -0600
 From: jbuff@uit.net
 Subject: Here's another One From me

 I want to congradulate Jason Martin for writing a blunt opinion of the
 new album.  I agree with everything he said, just not to the same
 degree.  Every comment is true, especially about the ballads and the
 fact that the album doesn't have that same "pick you up, put you into
 the groove, and never let you down" feel to it the first album had.  I
 love the album, but I'd rather hear the upbeat songs then all those
 ballads.  Although Brick really works.  It's an amazing song.  THe other
 ones just don't quite do it for me.  Their just pretty good, and I
 expect so much more from BFF.  Okay, that's it.

 Brett

                  Till beads of sunlight hit me in the morning