Issue #213 - April 3, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #213

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.
     * If you attend a show, you must post a review!

   [Apologies for getting this out late. My access provider pulled an
 "April Fool" on me just as I was ready to send these out and I was
 without access for a couple days. If you recently asked to be
 unsubscribed, I haven't gotten to your request yet and will handle it
 very shortly. If you've posted a message for the Armchair since Monday
 and it's not included in these issues (213-215), it will be in the next
 issue. Thanks. -fjm]

Topics for Today:

      $1-off coupon
      Dwarf!
      BFF and Klezmatics
      Phone; Cover; Tour Dates; The plot thickens
      RE: Shut up
      Re:Ben Folds Five Fever
      Selfless bashing?!?!?
      last night...the best of my life
      to each his own!
      Smoke is not GREAT??
      Give me my money back
      Here's My Take!
      Brick=Abortion
      It grew
      Ben Fold Five Summer Tour...
      Aye.
      P to the S.
      Inspiration for Brick

 possibly others) you may have received or may be receiving a $1-off
 coupon in the form of a check payable to any music retailer good only on
 the purchase of Whatever and Ever Amen. I don't know how many were sent
 out or to whom they were sent, but if you haven't bought the new album
 yet, you might want to see if a coupon arrives in the next few days. If
 you already bought the album (as I know everyone has!), the best thing to
 do is to give the coupon to a friend. That's what I'm doing. -fjm

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:28:20 -0500 (EST)
 From: Bnanakingg@aol.com
 Subject: Dwarf!

 Hi,

 Quick, somebody grab me some rollerskates and pigtails!  I feel like I should
 be at a roller skating rink whenever I hear this song...  It's great!

 Over and out,
 Bryce

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 12:27:27 -0500 (EST)
 From: Seth Rogovoy <rogovoy@berkshire.net>
 Subject: BFF and Klezmatics

 Sorry if this has already been gone over on the list, but does anyone know
 the story about how or why BFF hooked up with the Klezmatics?

 Seth Rogovoy
 rogovoy@berkshire.net
 http://www.berkshireweb.com/rogovoy
 music news, interviews, reviews, et al.

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 12:46:48 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Giuliano G. Valentino" <val@rogerswave.ca>
 Subject: Phone; Cover; Tour Dates; The plot thickens

 Yello:

 Someone mentioned about the phone ringing in Steven... .  I picked this up
 the first time as well.  I am willing to list it in the "anonymous stage
 chatter section" a la Beach Boys some Beatles stuff, but there are a couple
 of things that get to me.

 1)  Why would he have the ringer on his phone in the studio?  Yeah, I know
 it's his house and all, but to me it sounds like a cell phone.  Being one of
 the 3 people in Toronto wihout a cell phone I'm not sure about this, but I
 always thought you could turn the ringer off.  Why wouldn't he?

 2)  It's too perfectly timed to be an accident...right at that high point in
 the song.  Then again...it SOOO perfectly timed that it COULDN'T have been
 planed.

 SO...although I'm willing to mark it as an accident...deep down I like to
 pretend that after 2 weeks and 7 days (the Rocky Horror in me always wants
 to yell out "AND SEVEN NIGHTS") Steven is calling, once again saying "It's
 my last night in town, friends, won't you throw me a party?".

 Maybe I'm reading too much into this....

 ---

 I read with interest someone's coments on how the album cover is a reaction
 against alterna-posing.  Interesting point, but I still don't quite buy it.
 I do some design for work, and have picked up a lot on design from my
 coworkers (as well as cool recipe for minestrone) and I have to admit that
 it is possible to do a design that isn't spectacular without being butt
 ugly!  I know taste is subjective and all that, but frankly the more I look
 at this cover, the more and more I hate it.  Hard to read, poorly laid out
 etc.  Oh well....

 -----

 On the postcard I got when I first went looking for the album they mentioned
 touring Canada.  Does anyone know of any dates, particularly Toronto (tho
 I'd travle anywhere to see them in my Battle Sprint)?  As well, if they come
 to town, anyone interested in a list get-together?

 ----

 And I want to thank the band for this...after a few months of killer writers
 block, Ben have inspried me for yet another story, based loosly on Steven...
 and a series of going away parties thrown for a constatly moving friend in
 Halifax (okay...it's me!).  This is the second plot inspired by music in the
 past month (the other being The Other End of The Telescope, a Til Tuesday
 song and covered by some other guy *chuckle*....)

 Anxiously planning to spend my holiday MST3King with co-workers....

 ---------------------
 Giuliano G. Valentino		Oh I used to be disgusted
 val@rogerswave.ca	 	and now I try to be amused.
 Newmarket, Ontario	 	But since their wings have got rusted,
 Canada			 	you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

 http://www.ceogroup.com/Employees/Giuliano/Index.html

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:21:01 -0500
 From: Rod Allen <RAllen@mmms.com>
 Subject: RE: Shut up

 > John Glosson <JGlosson@webtv.net> wrote:
 >
 > "Your little frat boy mentality is what propetuates bands like Silver
 > Chair and Hootie and the Blowfish. Get over it. If you don't like it,
 > then don't buy it. Crawl back into your frat house and drink domestic
  beer while you listen to your Nine Inch Nails  cds."

 Why don't you lighten up there, Johnny!  As one of the former "frat
 boys" on the list, I feel compelled to respond.  I, too, agree that the
 complaints regarding slower songs/ballads on the new cd are excessive,
 but resorting to such reactionary and caustic sterotyping is really
 quite embarrassing. (it's PERpetuates, not PROpetuates).

 I'm positive that everyone who feels that the new cd is too "slow"
 isn't/wasn't a "frat boy" (I personally dig it; all of it).  I am
 equally positive that the majority of the folks that truly enjoy all or
 most or the album, and are NOT complaining, are not close-minded,
 arrogant, pseudo-intellectual, suburbanite, Andy Warhol -wannabes who
 get their email through their parents' TV such as you, Mr. WebTV.

 This is a forum for people to voice their opinions and share info, not a
 place for you to dictate what is said.  That's good ol' Frank's job.

 By the way, I'm not a big fan of NIN, Hootie or Silverchair.  But I do
 like a nice cold Schlitz Malt Liquor 40 when I listen to BFF or Miles
 Davis!!

 Signed,
 Mr. Passive
 I Tappa Kegga Fraternity

 "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor..."

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:01:48 -0600 (CST)
 From: koenij22@vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
 Subject: Re:Ben Folds Five Fever

 Hello everyone!

 	Well, this is my very first addition to the wonderful armchair.
 The name is Joel(but my friends call me Joel).  I live in Oshkosh,Wi and
 attend this wonderful college also(yes, that's sarcasm). I've been
 reading the Armchair for a couple weeks and I enjoy everyone's different
 views.  It's nice to know that there's kids out there who can still
 appreciate a darn good band.

 	I couldn't help but notice all of you spoiled little BFF fans
 with all these free disks, and videos, and live stuff.  Where in the
 wide,world of sports can I get my hands on these?  PLEASE let me know at
 -- koenij22@vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu --.

 	And by the way, I hope you guys made an ass out of yourselves like
 I did when I started scrambling for my phone during " Steven's Last Night."
 I fell for it three times before I finally caught on.  I'd like to hear
 from anyone from Wisconsin who's going to the Chicago show.  I need info.
 By the way, does "Evaporated" make you guys teary-eyed, in a fetal
 position and crunched up in the corner? Good, I'm not the only one.

 "...now your phone is disconnected and your s##t's out on the lawn."
                                    --Where's Summer B.--

 	You all take care now!
                              JOEL

 JOEL D KOENIG
 Internet -  KOENIJ22@uwosh.edu

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:37:33 -0500
 From: Cassandra Hughes <cfh109@psu.edu>
 Subject: Selfless bashing?!?!?

 Hi there everybody!

 Hey, why are so many people bashing Selfless? I personally think it's one
 of the best songs on the new album. . .And no, I'm not a Billy Joel fan. .
 Actually, if I must compare a bff song to anything, I'd have to say that it
 reminds me of that Counting Crows song, hmmmmmm, oh yeah, Another
 Horsedreamer's Blues.

 My opinion of the new cd: overall, I think it's fantastic though my friends
 who are not fans seem to like the old one better. Go figure. . .

 --Cassie

 cfh109@psu.edu

 "I said what you wanted to hear/ And what I wanted to say"

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:07:58 -0500 (EST)
 From: MERSSM@rascal.guilford.edu
 Subject: last night...the best of my life

 i went to see the bff last night at ziggy's in winstom salem, nc
 and i thought i would post to share my joy. it was maybe the
 best night of my life and here are some highlights....

 standing in line to get in ben folds himself got out of a
 volkswagon outside the club. he was greeted by cheers of "ben
 folds is a f***ing asshole!" hee.

 then, ben was chillin' in the patio area in the front of the
 club. he was just talking to people...but i didn't have the nerve
 to go talk to him.

 snuzz opened up. that's eddie waler, snuzz, and chuck folds from
 bus stop. they were great. the highlight may have been when
 snuzz said "Chapel Hill may claim Ben Folds but we all know
 where he's really from" (that's Winston Salem).

 the show was a family affair. i stood near ben's parents, and of
 course his bro chuck was there, and his cousin evan folds who i
 went to high school with in greensboro.

 i won't go into all the details of the bff set. but it was
 amazing. one hilarious moment was during "underground" when the
 band substituted "hand me my nose ring" to "hand me my cock
 ring". oh how i laughed.  the show was very exciting and now i'm
 just reliving the memories.

 later, susan mers

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:08:56 -0500
 From: Dean Drouillard <droulard@MNSi.Net>
 Subject: to each his own!

         As many people did on this post, I left a very positive review of
 the new album.  However, I just wanted to comment on the subject of people
 getting angry with Jason from WVU.  I don't think we need to linch mob the
 guy because he doesn't masturbate to the album.  Everyone is entitled to
 their own opinion and I noticed that he started liking the album a little
 more on the 25th listen.  Sometimes things have to grow on you, but maybe it
 won't.

         At least he had the balls to state his opinion on a post like this
 for BFF fanatics to read.  Way to go.

                                         Dean Drouillard
                                         RACECAR (Canada)
                                         http://www.mnsi.net/~racecar

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 12:26:17 -0800
 From: Rhonda <adnohr@concentric.net>
 Subject: Smoke is not GREAT??

 | [snip of comments by BNDVDSN@aol.com, followed by: ]
 | Any of these  songs would have been a welcome replace for smoke which is a
 | good song, but  not great. OH well, new album rocks though.

 You're kidding me!  I LOVE Smoke!  In fact, it and the buhBAHbuh part of
 Fair are constantly mixing in my head all day long.. (I should get that
 checked)

 Anyway.. If I were going to complain, which I am not, but If I were, I
 would have killed Dwarf and Steven... I didn't really like those two when I
 saw them play them live, and I guess I still don't, but the rest of the CD
 is wicked!!!

 Did everyone get their free imports??  I was sneaky and got two of each,
 and would be willing to trade for something comparable..

 ---
 rls,
 barenaked in san diego
 http://www.concentric.net/~adnohr

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:45:54 -0500
 From: Jason Miller <jasonchibari@mindspring.com>
 Subject: Give me my money back

 A few years ago my girlfriend lent me a large sum of money to pay off a debt.
 When I broke up with her, her exact words were"Give me My Money back"
 I didn't have it so I stayed with her.
 This story doesn't relate to the song yet it's still funny.

 Jay Superstar Miller
 jasonchibari@mindspring.com

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:34:27 -0600
 From: jbuff@uit.net
 Subject: Here's My Take!

 There's going to be a thousand responses as to what Brick's about, but
 here's mine anyway.

 I have to admit, I never thought about this song hard enough to come up
 with the abortion.  It instantly struck me as just being about a
 relationship.  Mainly because I have been through the exact same thing
 as what I thought he was trying to convey.

 Here's my first take on it:
 	Just a basic relationship song.  He's suddenly realized that his
 girlfriend is still living as one person, and not as a couple.  This is
 like being hungry and only eating one piece of toast.  It gives you
 food, but in the end, you're only hungry for more.  Having a
 relationship is great, but one needs more than just that to be happy.
 They need the other person to be in it heart-and-soul for everything to
 be right.  She's not giving it to him, so he's "feeling more alone, than
 he ever has before."  It's like a relationship that's not going to go
 anywhere.  He can keep fighting it, but they both know it, so it's only
 a waste of time.

 Now, adding the abortion spin:(I sort of, almost went through this also)
 	The girls going to get an abortion, and it's in this process that he
 figures out that he's not a big enough part of her life.  In my
 experience, it's shown to the guy because the girl shuts him out, and
 makes the whole thing her problem.  It's here that he sees that they're
 really two completely seperate people, and that to hold on to the
 realtionship would be pointless.

 Okay, there you go.  Just my opinion.

 Take Care
 Brett

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:22:33 -0500
 From: Jason Miller <jasonchibari@mindspring.com>
 Subject: Brick=Abortion

 Brick has nothing to do with abortion.  It's about the end of a
 relationship.  It was kinda the way my relationship ended.  My girl was a
 brick dragging me down.  And even though I had her I was alone!!

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 23:13:02 +0100
 From: Xander du Bois <iksman@pi.net>
 Subject: It grew

 Hi yall,
 A couple of issues ago I posted my review of the new album. I wasn’t
 very enthusiastic about the slower songs and I wondered if they would
 grow on me. Well, some of them did. I now like Brick, Selfless…,
 Missing….and Evaporated too. I still don’t like Smoke and Cigarette. I
 think I never will. But nevertheless I like the album very much now. But
 I still think the first one is better (I just love the freshness and the
 more surprising song-structures). Everybody is talking about how they
 love Brick. I think it is a beautiful song (I do think it’s about
 abortion) but I’m afraid I think Ben’s voice is just not good enough to
 give it all the beauty it deserves. He’s better in the more powerful
 songs. I saw BF5 two weeks ago in Amsterdam. I don’t think they had a
 very good night. They just gave the impression that they didn’t feel
 like doing a concert. When I saw them a couple of months ago they were
 much more enthusiastic and "alive". But I loved the concert anyway. I
 hoped to buy a T-shirt there but they didn’t sell any. Finally I would
 like to tell you all what my favorite bands apart from BF5 are:
 The Beatles (Nobody even comes near)
 Elvis Costello (Most beautiful voice and ballads ever)
 Steely Dan (Very intelligent)
 Frank Zappa (He’s just amazing, only the good die young)
 The Rolling Stones (Best Rock ‘n’ Roll)
 Lou Reed (His lyrics are sheer poetry)
 Queen (That’s real fun, and again, only the good.....)
 And, well, I like a lot more: Randy Newman, Waterboys, Counting Crows,
 Black Crowes, Jellyfish, Tom Waits, Sjako (a Dutch band you have to
 hear), J.J. Cale, etc.
 No wonder I like BF5 so much. Anybody out there shares my taste of
 music?

 CU , Xander

 "Since when are you so generous and inarticulate?"  Elvis Costello.

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:20:34 -0500
 From: "Brian R. Kessler" <bkessler@btv.ibm.com>
 Subject: Ben Fold Five Summer Tour...

 I hope someone affiliated with BF5 reads this:

 PLEASE PLAY IN BURLINGTON, VERMONT!!!  BF5 is getting good airplay up here,
 there are five colleges, and two really cool clubs:  Metronome and Toast.

 Peace, skiing, & music,
 Brian

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 20:39:58 -0500 (EST)
 From: Yoda90210@aol.com
 Subject: Aye.

 Everyone says Ben Folds Five sounds like something else.....I found very few
 comparisons to make with the exception of "Underground" to Queen and "Kate"
 to a transition melody that used to be played in the Charlie Brown and Snoopy
 Show..........any input?

 lv,
 susie, who will be attending the April 24th Ben Folds Five show in Chicago.

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 20:52:42 -0500 (EST)
 From: Yoda90210@aol.com
 Subject: P to the S.

 1)  Who's going to the chicago show?  I ordered tickets as soon as I landed
 in NYC...phew.  Maybe we can all do a shout out thing and meet up.

 2)  HOW THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE ALL KNOW EACHOTHER?...LOL.  I've been on the
 list for a few months, I think, now, and i still don't get it.  Besides
 Adam......yikes.

 Deep sigh.  Try not to eat any yellow snow, my friends.

 lv,
 s.

 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 20:00:15 +0000 (GMT)
 From: Stephen Levin <slevin@spuddy.mew.co.uk>
 Subject: Inspiration for Brick

 Hi,

   To Megan, who asked about the 'inspiration behind Brick'.. in the
 NME review of Whatever.. it says that Brick is about an abortion,
 if you listen to the lyrics closely, this kinda makes sense.
                              _
                             (.
                    	   ._) t e v e

                     Off the coast and I'm headed nowhere