 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:47:35 -0600
 From: "Allen, Mike" <MALLEN@temmc.com>
 Subject: BFF Review in Encore Magazine

 I was recently in Paris and found a review of Whatever in the French
 entertainment magazine Encore.  I'm not that fluent in French, but I
 gather they like it a lot - more than the first CD and draw comparisons
 to Randy Newman and Bruce Hornsby among others.  Here it is in French
 (have fun translating).  Pardon the lack of proper accent marks.

 Ben Folds Five
 Piano Heroes

 Apres un premier opus suffisamment bourreŽ de feeling pour masquer une
 autoproduction a la limite du raisonnable, Ben Folds Five, power trio
 pian'stique issu de Caroline du Nord, a eu la judicieuse idee de
 raillier une major pour propulser l'elegance naturelle de ses melodies
 ("Brick") vers un large public qu'on situera d'emblee entre nostalgiques
 de Randy Newman et irreductibles de Bruce Hornsby.  Heritiers de Nirvana
 par la face McCartney, nos heros n'en alignent pas moins une flopee de
 titres tout a fait dignes fleurant bon les 60's (mais qu'est donc devenu
 Jackie Lomax?) qui voient Ben Folds bousculer son piano comme Elton (au
 temps de sa grandeur boogie) et feu Nicky Hopkins reunis, derapant
 parfois jazzy ("One Angry Dwarf"), voire easy ("Fair") sur des embruns
 irresistiblement Steely Dan ("Selfless Cold And Composed").

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 00:42:21 -0800 (PST)
 From: marmbru <marmbru@email.unc.edu>
 Subject: Kate and other stuff

 Miscellaneous Geography Lesson:

 Hey, if anybody was wondering, there is a line in Kate that goes "down on
 Rosemary and Cameron...".  Those are two of the main streets in the
 "downtown" section of Chapel Hill.  Also, in Summer B. there is the line
 that says "the hardback cafe closed down, now we've got office town".
 Well, there was a Hardback cafe (it's still on the town bus schedules),
 but I think it became Lizard and Snake (a restaurant).

 Other Stuff:
 Someome mentioned how their alternacorporate radio station is all
 buddy-buddy with BFF now.  Well, G105, which is
 Raleigh-Durham's "top" radio station (and which plays mostly crap), has
 started playing BowCCL!!  Of course they make it sound like they never
 heard of them before, even though they are from here.  That doesn't
 suprise me because they "discovered" Barenaked Ladies when they did a
 concert for them a few months ago, and put them in heavy rotation.
 Sad sad sad.

 - Mitch Armbruster

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 16:48:38 -0500 (EST)
 From: Iodine <el266071@hvcc.edu>
 Subject: bffmail@aol.com

 	I just tried writing mail to the band at the address they provide
 in the insert for "Whatever and Ever Amen" and it was returned
 undeliverable.  ..does anyone have a mailing address that DOES work?
 unless someone else wants to answer my question :)  I need BFF stickers
 and don't know where to find them...does anyone here know?

 tanku

 "Give me my money back, you bitch." - Ben Folds Five
 		Mostly Harmless (bbs.cowland.com/giuseppe)

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 16:01:00 -0600 (CST)
 From: anthony stephen bognar <abognar@students.uiuc.edu>
 Subject: BF5 show in Chicago

 G'day everyone in magical armchair world. Anthony Bognar here, an Aussie
 spending 7 months in the States. I am at the University of Illinois,
 Urbana-Champaign, and am looking for a ride to the concert. Seeing as BF5
 have not toured Australia yet, I will do anything to see them live. I
 have a whole bunch of people back home jealous of me. If anyone can help
 me out, then let me know.

 The new album takes a bit of getting used to, and the more I listen to it
 the more I like it. Still, the first one is the best, and easily one of
 the best albums of last year, along with Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon
 Collie.." and Pearl Jam "No Code".

 If anyone is interested, in Sydney there is the coolest radio station
 Triple J (JJJ) and at the end of each year that have a poll for the
 hottest 100 songs of the year, aptly named "Triple J Hottest 100".
 Underground came in third, behind Tool and Spiderbait (a very cool
 Australian Band).

 Thanks for listening,

 Anthony Bognar (abognar@uiuc.edu)

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:39:46 -0500
 From: Bradford MacLeod <bmacleod@waonline.com>
 Subject: from the horse's mouth

 seeing some of the questions going on here on the list, i decided to take some
 to the source--caleb southern.  this should answer a few burning questions....

 	brad

 	so there you have it sports (and wine) fans....  i asked caleb if he'd be
 willing to answer some questions as a sort of 'cyber interview' and he indicated
 some interest.  so, send me stuff that you'd like to ask him, preferably
 technically related.  i'll put it all together and share his answers with you
 guys....

 	brad

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:46:31 -0500 (EST)
 From: bfire@shell.monmouth.com
 Subject: IRVING PLAZA and all that jazz

 Hello. I've got your hidden track right here:

 1)I was curious to see if anyone else is going to see Ben Folds Five, that
 band with those guys in it, at IRVING PLAZA in NYC on APRIL 28TH.

 2)And, is Ben married? I'm sorry if I'm not paying enough attention.

 IF YOU ARE INDEED GOING TO IRVING PLAZA OR IF YOU CAN ANSWER MY MARITAL
 QUESTION PLEASE E-MAIL ME: Bfire@shell.monmouth.com OR
 			Sarah_Fire@hths.mcvsd.k12.nj.us
 thank you,

                    *Sarah*
 88******************************************88
 *ben folds five =w=eezer that dog.  jellyfish*
 *radiohead the dead milkmen spain the rentals*
 88******************************************88

    [Ben is married to Kate Rosen. They were married last fall -fjm]

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:26:17 -0500
 From: "Bryan L. Brown" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
 Subject: "We could beat up the Cardigans in a fist fight"

 I'm Not A BFF Show-Virgin any More!

 I was among the priviledged to attend the show at Ziggy's in Winston Salem
 last Thursday (and right up front I might add) and was more than amazed at
 the show the guys put on.  I have gained new respect for Robert and Darren.
  I mean, we all know that Ben is a god, but Darren and Robert really put a
 lot into what makes the shows great too and I think that they deserve more
 recognition in The Armchair.

 So you're wondering about the subject of this post.  Well, let me tell you.
  I'm sure you're all familiar with that little piece of dialogue on the
 first album which precedes Underground.  You know, "I was never cool in
 school; I'm sure you don't remember me, etc. ad nauseum".  Well, from what
 I understand, at most BFF shows, this little speech rarely eminates from
 the mouth of the guys in quite the same way as it is recorded on the album.
  The way it turned out in Winston was something like this:

 (Darren, with a really contorted face) "I was never cool in school, I'm
 sure you don't 				      remember me"
 (Robert) "And now it's been ten years.......etc."
 (Ben, melodically as usual) "And love to mix in circles.....etc."
 (Darren, jumping up from the trap set) "HAND ME MY COCK RING!!"
 (Ben, crooning immediately following Darren) "Can we be happy....."
 (Robert, matter-of-factly) "We could beat up the Cardigans in a fist fight"
 (ALL) "We Can Be Happy Underground!"

 I don't know if you guys will find this humorous, but it was pretty funny
 at the time.  Anyway, I also met a guy whose friends told me that he was
 Ben's cousin and after talking to him, he seemed pretty knowledgeable and
 cool.  If he gets this perchance, I apolagize for my girlfriend's
 behavior-she gets a little testy in tight spots.  Ben's brother's new band
 Snuzz opened.  I was unimpressed.

 Bryan L. Brown

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:40:51 +1000
 From: "Driver, Emma" <Emma.Driver@Butterworths.com.au>
 Subject: BF5: 'Brick' and conjecturing

 Does it really matter who wrote which bit of 'Brick' and exactly who
 it's about? I mean, you could go crazy wondering if 'Brick' is about the
 same (ex) girlfriend of Darren Jessee as 'Song For the Dumped', as
 incongruous as it might be ... 'Brick' is a beautiful song, but would be
 no less beautiful if it was pure fiction. I agree that the lives of BF5
 are of interest, but their songs tell more about the way they write
 music (which is the important thing, really) than their personal lives.
 How do you get to an writer through a song anyway? Can't the song be
 appreciated as imaginative creativity rather than a version of a
 writer's lived reality?

 Sorry. That was kind of wordy. Does anyone agree with me or am I way off
 the mark?

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:38:10 -0500 (EST)
 From: Clayton W Nicholson <cwn48400@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>
 Subject: West Palm Review and MY review

 I went home to West Palm this Easter and found a spiffy review of the trio
 in the Palm Beach Post, a major newspaper for several counties. Here 'tis

 Procedure Review_follows;
 Var
         J.D. Considine of the Baltimore Sun;
 Begin
         By almost any accounting, Ben Folds is not your typical alternative
 rocker. For starters, he plays piano, not guitar, and acoustic piano at
 that. Moreover, the sound he gets with his trio, the inexplicably named Ben
 Folds Five, has more in common with old-school pop rockers like Billy Joel
 than with grunge gods or techno wizards.  Maybe that's why 'Whatever and
 Ever Amen', the BF5's latest, seems such a breath of fresh air. It helps, of
 course, that the music is so exuberant - if the two-fisted playing on One
 Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces doesn't have you pounding the table in a
 pianistic equivalent of air guitar, nothing will - but the real charm in
 Folds' material is that the melodic  ploish never takes the edge off his
 lyrics. But the album's best moments - Battle of Who Could Care Less and
 Fair - offer deep pleasures as Folds folds lush vocal harmonies and
 insightful narratives into his ingenious pop structures. An exceptional album.
 End.

 (sorry, I thought I was in school for a second there. Doh! I am)

 Not bad huh? And they have a line you can call and enter some digits and it
 will play Battle for $.50

 Personal outtakes.

 Like most everyone on the Chair, it took me a couple runs to get used to,
 but I'm amazed now. Love the older fast stuff, identify with some slow ones.

 Dwarf- saw this live last June, and it was just as incredible.

 Fair- Anybody hear any Primus in Ben's voice? Just me? Sorry. Also reminds
 me of         Queen. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
 [typing], he's            drawn to insanity by Discrete logic, induction
 steps, and composition of         Sets.

 Brick- Wow! Incredible! Aside from the possible abortion aspect, I identify
 HEAVILY with this song towards my current on-off relationship with
         a girl back home. This thing just grabs on to my 4-chamber vessel
 within         my ribcage and screams 'You dumbass! You're life isn't the
 only one that         sucks!'

 Dumped- Craziness. My musical tastes tend toward the quick and loud anyway,
 so          this song is just another brick in the wall for me. I do like
 the other
         soundtrack version better. Looking intently over FTP for a copy.

 Sefless- Someone on the Chair said 'You either like this or you hate it, no
 one         is indifferent'. Hold thy tongue, I am that fish.

 Kate- Once again, a speedy ensemble, love it. Jam to it. Kicking ass and
 chewing         bubble gum, just ran out of.... [Pegasus mailer daemon would
 like to apologize for the previous misuse of quotation, the author
 has just been sacked]

 Smoke- Phew! I'm back. Smoke=S'allright. What is this about anyway?

 Cigarette- Why doesn't anyone like this? It's not that long, I mean, I don't
 think I could stand 10 minutes of it, but it's a nice downer. I mean,
 just thinking about the story depresses me. Isn't this the song Ben took
 from a newspaper clipping?

 Steven- Neat. This is what the second album is all about. Something
 different, I         approve completely. Too bad it was a previous work
 anyway. Not that             my opinion means anything anyway... but I'm
 here anyway.

 Battle- How could anyone NOT like this song? Apathy is a beautiful thing.
 Take          a healthy serving with every meal.

 Missing- S'allright

 Evaporated- Magnificent finish to an album. Yeah, it does leave you on a
 downer;         but this is a great example of how I feel on a bad day.

 So what about other music fetishes? I'm going to see Mighty Mighty Bosstones
 and the Pietasters on the 7th in Orlando, Marilyn Manson also in O-town on
 the 15th, Jack Off Jill and L7 on the 19th down in Sunrise, and No Doubt and
 Cake in West Palm Beach on the 30th. Cool lineup for the month. But... :"(
 (This is me crying because BFF aren't on the tour list for Florida, or maybe
 it's just me with whiskers??)

 While I'm here, I sent out about 12 copies of the coupon for the singles to
 various friends in 2 different states, and NO ONE can get me the singles,
 and no store around here carries it or will get it for me. Bastards. They
 will pay! Oh yes, they will.. oh, sorry. Anyway, not to detract from the
 boys' well earned profits, but is there any way someone could post any of
 the 4 new songs from the singles? I'd be eternally grateful, and I could
 offer you a position i my empire as soon as I take over the world's cheese
 supply.

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 22:29:34 -0600
 From: Bergqvist <Kristin.M.Bergquist-1@tc.umn.edu>
 Subject: BFF: kind of blue?

 hey kids! miss me terribly? knew you did. *smiles*
 just a question...dont know how many people have mentioned it before..
 i know that "selfless..." is EVERYbody;s favourite, but just for
 conversation...how many other people heard the intro and said,
 "miles?....mr. davis?...is that ....could it be...and excerpt from kind of
 blue?"
 maybe paying homage...maybe a fluke...i think the boys are smarter than
 that, though.
 cheers
 kristin
 ***i'm not interested enough to be apathetic***

 Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:50:27 -0700
 From: Rhonda Glover <rhondag@syspac.com>
 Subject: the new album

 considering everyone is putting in their two cents on the new album, here's
 mine:

 let me begin by saying, i am one of those people who hates change.  well, i
 don't really "hate" change, it just takes me a while to get used to it.
 such is the case with the new album.

 i got hooked on bff after hearing Underground on a CMJ cd.  it sucked me in
 (it sucked, it worked).  and when i bought the self-titled album i couldn't
 get enough of it.  there is so much energy on each track that just hearing
 it made me feel like, i don't know, getting down.  so, naturally, i was
 pleased when the first track on Whatever (one angry dwarf..., like you
 didn't know) made me wanna groove too.  but then, as the album progressed,
 i noticed that almost every other song took a needle to the energy balloon
 and once-rockin' music turned (i hate to say it) boring.

 don't get me wrong, i could never hate this album.  what i feel for it is
 far from hate.  but, being the change-hater i am, i'm just a bit bummed.
 the way i described it to a fellow bff-head when i gave her a copy of the
 cd was: some of the (slow, ballady) songs i would probably like if i heard
 them and had no idea who the band was, but when you KNOW it's bff, your
 mind is too busy wishing ben was pounding on the piano and other such
 energetic stuff, and it's sort of difficult to take things down a notch and
 enjoy the tune.  yikes, it makes me sad to say that.

 but, like i said, i don't hate it.  i'm just still in the process of
 getting used to it.  sucked in by the energy of bff, my favorite tunes are
 steven's last night in town, battle of who could care less, one angry
 dwarf..., kate and song for the dumped.   i regret that i currently fast
 forward through selfless, cold and composed, cigarette  and (occasionally)
 smoke.

 what a sad message.

 rhonda

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:36:52, -0500
 From: MR PHILIP L CROTEAU M <JDRF74D@prodigy.com>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five Three sir

 I'm asuming everyone here's seen Monty Python's Holy Grail and just
 wondering if anyone else thinks that Ben Folds Five may have had that
 movie in mind when naming their band the Five instead of three or is
 it just a coincidence.
 So Long and Thanks For allThe Fish
 Sir Robin the not Quite so brave as Sir Lancelot

                          Let them be broken, broken