Issue #216 - April 5, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #216

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * Don't quote excessively, or quote the entire digest, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum.
     * If you attend a show, you must post a review!

Topics for Today:

      Ben Folds Live Baby
      bass
      BFF: Lawrence, KS show?
      RE: THE MAGICAL AMRCHAIR, Issue #209
      BFF
      Washington show
      Bass tabs
      Tempe az....lyrics...radio...you name it...
      How Ben Has Changed My Love Life
      bff show in philly!?
      RE: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #210
      winston-salem show
      Success can be bad for fans...
      Taping at BFF Shows
      bff in minneapolis
      BFF/Joe Jackson & Summer tour plans?
      BFF in Cleveland
      ben folds five in cleveland
      cleveland show, etc.

 Date: 01 Apr 97 11:47:42 CDT
 From: CAMPBEL2%STUDENT.Avila@mail.avila.edu
 Subject: Ben Folds Live Baby

     - Well as any good Ben Folds fan would do I went and bought the new
 CD the day it came out and then called in sick to work to listen to it.
 The new album is excellent and is a very worthy second effort. Brick is
 beautiful and I cant wait to hear Kate live.

    - They are coming in concert to Lawerence Kansas on April 21st so i
 will give you the lowdown after the show. I have seen them twice, once in
 Lawerence ina small club where I sat on the stage between acts. BEst and
 most fun concert I have ever witnessed and Ive seen a few. I also saw
 them at Lollapaloza and it wasnt a letdown at all, and i was able to meet
 Ben and Robert and spoke with them for about 10 min at least. Great guys!
  If you have not seen them live make damn sure you see them this time
 around. They played One Angry Dwarf when I saw them the first time along
 with Stevens Last Night, both are excellent live , If your lucky Ben
 might even do a little dance on top of his piano when they play steven.

   - A little explanations of some of the songs according to Ben live,
 Song for the Dumped was written by Darren after he was broken up with,
 Ben just added the music. Stevens Last Night is about the guy who wouldnt
 go away even after they through him a couple of parties because he said
 it was his last night. Uncle Walter is really about one of Bens childhood
 friends Grandma, she would ramble on and on about nothing when he came
 over. Ben calls her UNcle Walter to not offend no one.

 Well i gotta go but trust me if there is any chance for you to see them
 live, take it, you will have a whole different outlook on the band and
 its music.

     				" So much time, so little to say"
 						Missing the War

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:57:55 -0600
 From: Justin Baker <jbaker@olivet.edu>
 Subject: bass

 robert uses an electo harmonix big muff pedal to distort his bass.  i
 read that in some interview.  i have one but i use it for my guitar.
 justin

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:34:57 -0600 (CST)
 From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu>
 Subject: BFF: Lawrence, KS show?

 Hi all!  (This is my first post here--a big thank you to the TMBG listies
 here who told me about this list!)

 Does anyone happen to have any information on the Lawrence, KS show
 coming up on April 20-something-or-other?  (i.e. ticket prices, how to
 get them, etc.)  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

 Oh, and you know the interview (on one of the BFF web pages)
 where Ben talks about the guy in Texas who told him that they sound like
 Styx, which he might have taken as a compliment if the guy hadn't just
 figured out yesterday that Styx isn't cool anymore?  Well, yesterday a
 friend of mine who was unfamiliar with BFF asked to borrow my Whatever...
 CD after just hearing me play just a bit of it--which was great, of
 course, but it was really ironic because this guy *still* hasn't figured
 out that Styx isn't cool.  I think he even has a Styx t-shirt or
 something, actually.  :-D

 --Tara

 Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 13:15:40 CST
 From: muel9628@uwwvax.uww.edu
 Subject: RE: THE MAGICAL AMRCHAIR, Issue #209

 greetings to everyone out there..i'm wondering if the version of song for
 the dumped from mr. wrong soundtrack is different from the new album
 version..i believe it is, and if so i'll have to pick it up...i was lucky
 enough to find the uncle walter single last week with tom and mary(live)
 and emaline(live) on virgin records..i believe there is just the two part
 set for underground featuring satan is my master(live) and video(live) and
 on the other disc jackson cannery(live) and underground(live)..i don't
 think there are any other singles out there besides the new two part set
 for bwccl..BEN FOLDS FIVE ARE APPEARING ON CONAN OBRIEN IN APRIL SO I'LL
 LET EVERYONE KNOW WHEN I FIND OUT.. IT'S MOST LIKELY ON AROUND THE TIME OF
 THE NY SHOW COMING UP SOON.ALSO THEY'LL BE ON THE JENNY MCCARTHY SHOW IN
 MAY..I'LL BE AT THE APRIL 24 SHOW IN CHICAGO SO SEE SOME OF YOU
 THERE..MARK
 	"	"and now we're going through that tunnel, talk radio is fizzing
 			                                        out" pulsarst"

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 15:00:52 -0500 (EST)
 From: Shu2Stef@aol.com
 Subject: BFF

 Hi guys!  Ever since I heard "Underground" I've been hooked!  you're the
 first band in over 15 years that I've REALLY been exited about.  Saw you at
 the GA Theatre in Athens last year and you kicked serious ass.  Congrats on
 the new album!  It MAY even be better than the first...........and that's
 saying something!!  Looking forward to the Midtown Music Festival in Atlanta
 on May 3rd.  Continued success and best wishes.

 Stefanie Schumacher
 5521 Waterwood Drive
 Gainesville, GA 30506
 Shu2Stef@aol.com

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:27:59 -0500 (EST)
 From: Sean Reis <sreis@nbc.com>
 Subject: Washington show

 it's not unusual for me to be totally oblivious, but has anyone heard
 about any dates in the Washington, Baltimore area? i have been purusing
 the pages of the citypaper each week and coming up empty. was there ever
 a master list published?

 cheers

 "she said you been pushing me like i was a sore tooth."

 Sean Reis
 National Broadcasting Company, Inc.
 Charlotte, North Carolina

 Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 20:36:05 -0500
 From: Jason Miller <jasonchibari@mindspring.com>
 Subject: Bass tabs

 I was wondering if there are bass tabs anywhere.
 I figure you are busy so if you get the chance drop me a line!!
 thanx

 Jay Superstar Miller
 jasonchibari@mindspring.com

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:19:18 -0800 (PST)
 From:  Kristin Muchesko <woodnymph@hotmail.com>
 Subject: Tempe az....lyrics...radio...you name it...

 Hey Armchair!!!

 I have a few things to say....

 1. Is anyone out there going to the Tempe, Az. show at Gibsons, on   April 12?
 I am! I am!  I am soooo happy!!  Mail me if you are...
 (going, that is, not happy.  well, i guess you could also mail me if you're
 happy.)(mail me at kdm92772@aol.com)

 2. I can't believe all the postings I read about BFF being played in EVERY
 STUPID CITY in this STUPID COUNTRY when they aren't playing them AT ALL here in
 az.  I call the radio and they are like, "Nope.  Don't have 'em."  Why, oh
 why!?  They aren't even promoting the show at all on the radio, or on their
 dumb, precious "concert calender."

 3.  What is with the constant "Battle of Who Could Care Less About Ballads"
 that is going on here on the Armchair?  Can't we all just have our own opinions
 on the album?  Can't we all just get along....

 4.  On the liner notes, it gives the lyrics to "Dwarf" as being, "mom said
 someday I would have," but it doesn't SOUND like that is what he is saying.  It
 sounds like more words than that.  Am I crazy...  Help.

 Well...that is all I wanted.  Sorry to use so much space.  Don't hate me cause
 I'm wordy.  By the way, I LOVE THE ALBUM.  Brings me to my knees....
 (whew, this was a long one...sorry)

 With love and frolicking...Kristin

 "First you cook...and then you chill."
                     -Barry and LeVon

 Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:15:11 -0800
 From: Q is for Quagmire <qreeus@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
 Subject: How Ben Has Changed My Love Life

 Okay, so this is really annoying.  I haven't had a lasting interest in any
 girl in a few months (such are the reprecussions of a bad relationship) and
 hadn't until I got the new BFF album.  But, well, there's this girl in one
 of my classes named Kate.  I'd always noticed she was kinda cute but that
 was about it.  not I'm transposing the sentiment expressed in the song to
 my feelings for this girl who I hardly know...and I can't get her out of my
 mind...all because of Ben.  Gee, Ben, thanks alot...I'm neurotic again
 thanks to you.
   Swingfully,
     nathan

 Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 18:04:58 -0500 (EST)
 From: RAuvil@aol.com
 Subject: bff show in philly!?

 is anyone going to the show in philly on april 30th?  if so, could you please
 send info on where it is and how i can get tickets.  no one in baltimore has
 ever heard of bff (such sad, deprived individuals)  and i cant find any dates
 where they are playing.  i want to see a show bad!  hook me up.

 Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:26:04 CST
 From: muel9628@uwwvax.uww.edu
 Subject: RE: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #210

 ben folds five will be appearing on conan obrien on april 29..their
 performance of underground some time ago was pretty cool so make sure you
 catch this..

 Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:09:39 -0500 (EST)
 From: bagley sarah r <srbagl@mail.wm.edu>
 Subject: winston-salem show

 Hi, my first time writing, though I have been reading for a while.  So I
 recently drove a combined nine hours to see the show in Winston-Salem and
 it was great.  It was definetly worth the trip but I was wondering if
 possibly anyone elso was there and taped the show?  It has
 been really hard to get my hands on a bootleg of any show so thought maybe out
 of all the people there somebody had one.
 Also for those of you complaining about lack of radio airplay, trust me it's
 better that way.  I can't beleive I am being such a brat about this but
 the single was #1 and #2 on the two "alternative" stations from Richmond
 and Virginia Beach.  Thought I would be excited when this happenned but
 now I am wishing they could just stay at the level they had been for the
 last two years.  Anyway see the video on mtv a bunch and hear the song on
 the radio all the time and if anything I wish that they would play stuff
 of the first.  Not that I don't like BAttle but what about Philosophy,
 Video, Underground and Jackson Cannery!
 gosh i just realized how bitter I sound.  The whole thing is funny I
 guess, gives me a chance to give my friends a big I told ya so and those
 are fun.
 got that promotional video someone was talking about from a friend at a
 cd store, it is great, try and get your hands on it.
 Oh, one last thing, anybody going to the show in Raleigh NC or
 Lexington Va?  I think I might be journeying up there and I'm looking for info.
 Thanks,
 Sarah

 Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:57:47 -0500 (EST)
 From: Bobolifoo@aol.com
 Subject: Success can be bad for fans...

 I know we all take pride in our loyalty to BFF, even tho they're not too
 famous around the US, and most of you all want them to make it big.  Yeah,
 that would be great for them and all, and I don't want to be cold-hearted,
 but I don't want them to make it big.  Most people think that it's in the
 artist's best interest to make it big, but I beg to differ.  May I remind you
 of my favorite band, the Dave Matthews Band.  Oh stop groaning, I know you
 love 'em too!  Well, anyways, I've loved them since I heard them in their
 hometown of Charlottesville, VA, and I traded bootlegs from the beginning...
  But then they became a bit famous.  Songs on the radio...  Okay, no problem,
 it's good to have a few people around to talk to about them, and then BANG!!
  They became a pretty big success with their latest album.  To make a short
 story tolerable, everybody around me "loved" DMB and were "true fans" and it
 was:
 #1 ~ impossible to get tickets to ANY show around,
 #2 ~ hard to call yourself a real fan, because you're grouped with so many
 others,
 #3 ~ the music, no matter what they say, is affected.  This is not just
 artistic growning, this is hard-core editting, and I hate it.  Luckily, DMB
 hasn't done much of this, they've just been playing a bunch of their old
 "concert-only" songs, but it's hard to tell what will happen.

 Sorry to disturb your high, but I just wanted to remind you all of what you
 have, and how much better it is from the alternative.  I don't want BFF to
 stop, just not to get too famous.  I like that whole buddhist "middle way"
 philosophy.  Ren and Stmipy rule!

           I want a badass mother GI Joe,
                             ~Bobolifoo

 Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 15:54:44 -0800 (PST)
 From: Daniel Lynch <dflynch.esq@internetmci.com>
 Subject: Taping at BFF Shows

 This is my first post to the list.  I'm a list-newbie, but not a BFF
 newbie, having purchased the first CD back in October of
 1995.  I was hooked the first time I heard "Philosophy."

 Anyway, to the point.  I've purchased tickets to the Irving
 Plaza show in NYC, and was wondering if Taping (DAT from
 the Audience with Mikes and a Mike pole) would be permitted.
 There is a site about "bands that allow taping" and BFF is
 listed as "OK."
 Anyone with information would be helpful.  And of course, this
 is a "for personal use" situation only.  But trading is obviously
 also a possibility.

 Thanks,
 Dan

 Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:05:35 -0600
 From: "Clasen, Benjamin P" <BPCLASEN@CSBSJU.EDU>
 Subject: bff in minneapolis

 hey frank - or anyone - i need to contact BFF to tell them to come to
 minneapolis!  I am a bit concerned.  the last time they were here it was
 due to the pull of a  lovely radio station, rev 105, which was pulled
 off the air a week before the spring tour dates were announced.  i
 wonder if there is any correlation...

 as it stands now, i am driving 9 hours to lawrence to see them.  thats a
 lot of gas money...

 is there a summer tour perhaps in the works???  HELP!!!

 ben clasen

 Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 16:25:13 -0800
 From: Scott Lapatine <sdl15@Cornell.edu>
 Subject: BFF/Joe Jackson & Summer tour plans?

 Hi all, I just discovered Ben Folds Five with the new album, and I think
 every song is absolutely great (I've forced all my friends to purchase it).
  Anyway, I have 2 questions to ask.  (1) Does anybody recognize some
 musical similarity between BFF and Joe Jackson?  I don't say this just
 because they both play piano...I hear similarities in their chord
 progressions and arrangements, especially in "Battle of Who Could Care
 Less."  Anyway, second and more important, are there any plans for BFF to
 tour the East coast again this summer?  Unfortunately, I won't be able to
 go to the 4/28 NYC show...and it's on my birthday no less. :(  Are they
 coming back?
 SDL

 Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 16:38:16 -0500 (EST)
 From: Siva007@aol.com
 Subject: BFF in Cleveland

 Hey armchair-peoplez... pardon me, this is my first post. Hi. ;) Anyway, I
 was wondering if any of you are gonna be at the 4-26 show in Cleveland? I am.
 If you are too, do ya wanna meet, or something? If sooo, e-mail me.
      ~Chrysta
      Siva007@aol.com
  'I poured my heart out... it evaporated.'

 Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 17:04:16 -0600
 From: woletz <woletz@prodigy.net>
 Subject: ben folds five in cleveland

 hello everyone...

 i just wanted to know if anyone else out there is planning on going to
 the cleveland show on april 26??? let me know!!!!

 amanda <woletz@prodigy.net>

    [Uma...Oprah. Oprah...Uma. -fjm]

 Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 17:11:06 -0500
 From: Todd Vallie <todd@spidermen.com>
 Subject: cleveland show, etc.

 I've been to busy listeneing to the album to write how I feel about it.
 I finally have the time, and it frickkin' raaaaawwwwwwwkkks!  I like
 Brick the best, for various reasons.

 I really don't think there's any sense in arguing about the meaning of
 the song.  The most important thing is that BFF is capable of writing
 songs that actually mean something to people, unlikelike most of the
 stupid idiotic songs on the corporate alternative stations that are
 driven by phony angst (bush, everclear, NIN, & manson to name a few of
 the least noteworthy).

 I live in rochester, ny, but am driving to cleveland to see the show at
 the end of this month.  There playing at the odeon, which is really cool
 (I saw soul coughing there - very cool).  Anyone else going to that
 show?

 Another thing, does bff allow recording equipment at their shows?

 Todd Vallie
 http://www.twogoons.com
 http://www.spidermen.com/bands/racecar/

                       I still got beat up after class