Issue #219 - April 7, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #219

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum. Off-topic
       messages may be deleted by the moderator.
     * Although not a requirement of membership, if you attend a show,
       you may wish to post a review.
     * Before posting questions of a general nature (e.g., "Anyone have
       tour dates?" or "What are the words to Underground?"), check the
       Web resources available. Two places to start are:
           http://oeonline.com/bff/ and http://www.bffweb.com
     * Because of the way the Magical Armchair is currently assembled, any
       item of a time-critical nature should be sent several days in advance.

Topics for Today:

      Video Taping at BFV shows
      the last polka
      Anybody that missed the free cd
      Pre-registration for Cleveland show tape tree
      Emaline
      Reading the fine print
      t-shirts
      Robert Sledge look-a-likey
      Ben Folds very personable, nice guy!
      Re: BFF: Lawrence, KS show?
      Can someone confirm this?
      BFF bootlegs
      Boston Show
      READ THIS BEFORE YOU SEE BFF AND THE COUNTING CROWS!
      Re: Thanks!

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 15:27:21 -0500 (EST)
 From: Smarshal1@aol.com
 Subject: Video Taping at BFV shows

 I want to video tape the upcoming BFV show in sT. Louis on april 22.  If
 anybody knows their policy, let me know.  thanx

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 15:31:43 -0500 (EST)
 From: Soapie1@aol.com
 Subject: the last polka

 << p.s. does anyone else think that the most powerful part of the first cd is
   during "the last polka" when ben belts out "but baby i was doing fine how
   do you think that i survived the other 25 before you?" oh well.  this post
   is too long. >>
  sorry for the short pointless post, but i had to respond, because i agree
 with you %100 on this. everytime i listen to the first CD i rewind this part
 and listen to it twice. weird......Kevin

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 15:36:25 -0500 (EST)
 From: Smarshal1@aol.com
 Subject: Anybody that missed the free cd

 Anybody that missed the free cd offer, I have several extra Battle of Who
 Could Care less cds.  I have 4 of each version.  Also, anybody that likes
 SIlverchair, I have a video called Outakes and Misstakes that is new and
 never viewed.  This isn't a boot but a official Epic release.  email me at
 SMarshal1@aol.com

 Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 16:37:05 -0500
 From: Shaun Gilmour <sgilmour@pgh.net>
 Subject: Pre-registration for Cleveland show tape tree

 I'm going to be taping the show in Cleveland. Most likely it will be
 from an AT-822, but possibly through a generous friend I may get to use
 his schoepps to my TCD-D8.

 I will be treeing this show and providing the seed to this mailing list
 ONLY. So I'm not crossposting this to any other lists and I expect
 everone else to do the same.

 If you are not familiar with how a tree works, here is a short lesson.
 It starts with a master tape of a show called the SEED. From there dubs
 are made to other people who will make dubs for about 3 to 4 people
 each. They are called BRANCH leaders or PARENTS. The people they make
 dubs for are called LEAVES or CHILDREN. Leaves, as in a real tree are
 the end of the branch, so these people don't make dubs or can't make
 dubs. Hopefully we can keep the branches to a limit to keep the gen low
 for farthest leaf at 2nd generation.

 So a a tape tree would look something like this:

 (SEED) bubba@pip.net

 ---------jimbo@dork.net (Parent)
 --------------------retard@spaz.com (leaves)
 --------------------pasteup@slimeball
 --------------------panty@twit.net

 So bubba makes a tape for Jimbo (parent) and then Jimbo makes tapes for
 Retard, Pasteup, and Panty(children). In all cases people will be either
 trading something of equal length with their parents or they will be
 sending them enough blanks and return postage.

 So that's it.

 Now for the Pre sign-up.

 If you are a trader (TRADERS ONLY!!!! NO BOOTLEG CD SALES JERKS!!! BFF
 DOESN'T ALLOW IT AND I DON'T CONTRIBUTE TO IT!!) please cut and paste
 the info below and E-mail back to ME personally, NOT TO THE LIST. There
 will be a limited number of Digital Clones made from my tape depending
 upon the amount of people interested.

 If you can make Digital clones please put in the subject line: D>D BFF
 Cleveland

 If you can make DAT to Analog dubs put in the subject line: D>A BFF
 Cleveland

 If you can make Analog to Analog dubs put in the subject line: A>A BFF
 Cleveland

 If you are not willing to make dubs or cannot make
 dubs (D or A) put in the subject line: leaf BFF Cleveland

 *****************cut here*********************************
 Name:
 E-mail:
 City, State:

 Digital to Digital,  can you defeat SCMS?
 Briefly describe your set-up:

 All others briefly describe your dubbing equipment:

 Are you willing to trade with your parent?:

 Comments:

 *****************cut here*********************************

 Send this to sgilmour@pgh.net

 Hopefully everything will run smoothly and we'll all get a great
 sounding show!!!!!
 --
 Later,
 Shaun

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 16:29:56 -0500
 From: Brian Paul Williams <bpwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu>
 Subject: Emaline

 Dear BFF Friends,

 	I have noticed that many of you who have seen Ben Folds Five play
 just recently have not known what song they played after opening with
 "Missing the War".  The song is called "Emaline".  It can be found on
 either the "Where's Summer B.?" single or the "Uncle Walter"single, along
 with "Tom and Mary".  By the way, I met Ben Folds after the Cat's Cradle
 concert.  He couldn't have been a nicer guy. We talked about Built to
 Spill, Komeda, and Counting Crows.  Then he got autographs from Robert
 Sledge and Darrin Jessee for myself and on my friend's Dave Clark's Five
 album. I can't wait to see him again at the Ritz next month in Raleigh.(
 You're right.  "Perfect from now on" is much better than I thought.)

 							Brian Williams
 							bpwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu

 Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 15:30:08 -0800
 From: the Earl of Glockenspiel <Heyzeus@swbell.net>
 Subject: Reading the fine print

 Hey everyone, it's liner notes bonanza time!
 I think one of our listees who snagged one of those earlier European
 releases of Whatever mentioned this, but there was never a satisfactory
 answer.  In the liners where they list the 1-800 help #'s, in tiny print
 at the bottom it says something like "Nashville should call someone who
 cares."  So...what's BFF's beef with Nashville?  They *ARE* stealing my
 football team, the Oilers, but everyone in Houston's happy to see 'em go
 anyway.  I guess every great band needs a nemesis city, such as the
 Greatful Dead and New Orleans or Guns and Roses and St. Louis.  Ok, the
 sh***y bands have them too.

 ALSO...I suggest those "Hello my name is" stickers to identify yourself
 to other Armchair dudes.  At the houston show, look for Armchair Josh.

 Josh

 "In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you
 get the women..." -Homer

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 16:54:19 -0500 (EST)
 From: Giuseppe <el266071@hvcc.edu>
 Subject: t-shirts

 	I dunno if I posted about this before, I at least thought about
 it, and I got a bad memory :)  I read something about how might mailing
 list members recognize each other at BFF shows..and I'm on the
 Soundgarden list and what we did there is we had t-shirts made up with the
 list address on the front and "Posting with my good eye closed" on the
 back, theyre actually quite cool.  Thing is, if this mailing list was to
 do soemthign like that it might be hard to find someone to do it..someone
 who wants to, first of all, and also someone who isnt goign to just take
 the money and run (that happened to us on the SG list.  we didnt actualy
 get our t-shirts until the second try)  Its a cool idea, though..just
 wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone likes it :>  If anyone
 actually wants mailing list shirts made though, dont ask me :>  i'm
 willing to and im trustworthy, but i have NO idea how to do any of that
 stuff..if i did though it'd be different...um..thats about it..sorry this
 is so long

 "Give me my money back, you bitch." - Ben Folds Five
 		Mostly Harmless (bbs.cowland.com/giuseppe)

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 22:37:22 +0000
 From: vivi@ndirect.co.uk
 Subject: Robert Sledge look-a-likey

 Has anyone noticed that Jesse from "Home and Away" looks like Robert? He
 does doesn't he...it's not just me...he does..spooky

 What phone ringing during Steven's last night?? Double track voice
 thingies??  I've got my philosophy: Turn the stereo right up and have a
 boogie, get up, get down and enjoy the groove...you can sing along too
 (even at the concerts...partypooper!!) Forget
  anal analysis and let the energy move that bod and the lyrics mash your
 brain. Mosh on...forever... Vivien

 p.s.
 Re: Nathan I'm transposing the sentiment expressed in the song to
 > my feelings for this girl who I hardly know...and I can't get her out of my
 > mind...all because of Ben.  Gee, Ben, thanks alot...I'm neurotic again
 > thanks to you.
 ....................Ahhhhhhh, that's cute, good luck

 Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 15:38:13 -0800
 From: Garrett Helmer <ghelmer@cs.byu.edu>
 Subject: Ben Folds very personable, nice guy!

 This tuesday night I'll be attending the BFF show in Salt Lake City -
 can't wait!  I saw them for the first time in Salt Lake last March, and
 I carried a sign with a few of my buddies who go to school with me that
 read, "From Raleigh." It also had a crude drawing of the state of North
 Carolina on it.  You see, We grew up in Raleigh and wanted to give the
 trio a little local, home town support.  Of course there had to be some
 smart ass in the crowd who whines to me: "They're from Chapel Hill
 (referring to BFF), not Raleigh!"  I thought it was funny when Ben took
 my sign between songs and  held it up for every one to see.  After the
 show he signed it and scribbled some funny stuff on it - a definite
 collectors item.  Then after the show some girl that came along with us
 went up on stage and just started playing the high part of "heart and
 soul" on Ben's piano.  I thought she was crazy until Ben came over, sat
 down next to her, and started playing some funky, unorthodox version of
 the bottom part.  I was jealous that some chick who didn't even know who
 Ben Folds was got to play a duet with him.  Then in August during my
 summer break I saw them again in Winston Salem, N.C.  He remembered us
 from the Salt Lake show and signed my shirt, "shouts out to Salt Lake."
 What a cool guy. Very personable. Very funny. This will be my third show
 in one year!!!

 			-Garrett Helmer

 p.s.  I'm working on a web page which will have some incredible pictures
 of the trio that I took at the Winston Salem show.  I'll keep you
 posted!

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 16:58:27 -0600 (CST)
 From: Mike Payne <mikep@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
 Subject: Re: BFF: Lawrence, KS show?

 >  Does anyone happen to have any information on the Lawrence, KS show
 >  coming up on April 20-something-or-other?  (i.e. ticket prices, how to
 >  get them, etc.)  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

 Tickets cost $10.30 in cash.  You can purchase them at Liberty Hall which
 is the venue in which they will appear.  Enjoy.  See you there.

 					Mike

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:01:59 -0500 (EST)
 From: Brad654@aol.com
 Subject: Can someone confirm this?

 I think BF5 appears:

  18 April in Austin
  20 April in Dallas at Edgefest
  xx April in Lawrence, KS
  xx April in Missouri

 Help!!! I need these dates so I can figure out which one I can go see!!!!!
 I'm in Oklahoma City, so I guess a drive is unavoidable. Anyway, can anyone
 help?

      Handing out the Bhagavad Gita,
          Brad
              brad654@aol.com

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:15:24 -0500 (EST)
 From: Qualitease@aol.com
 Subject: BFF bootlegs

 Hello,
     Well this is my first post, and I thought I would make a proposition.
 With the new tour, and a bundle of our fellow "Armchairers" (for lack of a
 better word) going, I thought that I should inquire about taped shows.  Could
 anyone who is planning on taping a show, let me know if the tape comes out?
  I saw BFF in Jan. 96, and they are not coming back to Conn. as far as I
 know.  So, this is why I ask.  They are incredible live, and I am not able to
 be there to see them.  I have plenty of shows by other bands on tape to
 trade, so if interested, e-mail me.  Thanks.
     ~Alan         (Qualitease@aol.com)

   "I poured my heart out, it evaporated."

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:34:39 -0500 (EST)
 From: Antigone19@aol.com
 Subject: Boston Show

 Hi guys - just a quick note to say I got my tickets to the Boston BFF show in
 May - any other Boston fans who are going, email me - maybe we can all meet
 up or something.

 Marla

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:50:35 -0800
 From: "Michael J." <btr@oro.net>
 Subject: READ THIS BEFORE YOU SEE BFF AND THE COUNTING CROWS!

 Dearest BFF fans,

         A bit of warning.  I just last night saw Ben Folds Five open up for
 the Counting Crows.  Now let it be known that I've been an avid fan since
 practically the release of their first beautiful album, but if you plan to
 go see them open for the Counting Crows...DON'T.  I paid 20 somethin' bucks
 to see the show and they only played for about 35 minutes!  Granted it was
 an awesome 35 minutes but 20 dollars worth of entertainment it wasn't!
         I suppose that in retrospect I'm thankful that I went, only because
 I live on the west coast and I doubt I'll ever have the privilage again of
 seeing them here anytime soon.  I just thought it fair that I warn anyone
 interested, exactly what you are in for if you have plans to see one of
 these shows.  Heck, if you like the Counting Crows you're in for a night of
 pure bliss but otherwise I'd say save you're dough and wait for them to
 headline some show near you.  It could be a bit of a long wait but my money
 ($20) says it'd be worth the wait.

 Thanks

 Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 22:36:21 -0500 (EST)
 From: Jennifer Delamar <47km67nb@abaco.coastalnet.com>
 Subject: Re: Thanks!

 Um, to the girl that wrote about "makeout music", thanks for the tip!
 Seriously, I always thought that about Dave Mathews, but never said it aloud.

 Thanks for clarifying,

 Karaoke Queen

                       I know it's cool to be so bored