Issue #221 - April 7, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #221

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum. Off-topic
       messages may be deleted by the moderator.
     * Although not a requirement of membership, if you attend a show,
       you may wish to post a review.
     * Before posting questions of a general nature (e.g., "Anyone have
       tour dates?" or "What are the words to Underground?"), check the
       Web resources available. Two places to start are:
           http://oeonline.com/bff/ and http://www.bffweb.com
     * Because of the way the Magical Armchair is currently assembled, any
       item of a time-critical nature should be sent several days in advance.

Topics for Today:

      st.louis show...
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #217
      phone ringing
      Larry, "Brick", and abortion
      toronto
      Last Polka
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #216
      just a coupla things to say
      ben folds in boston
      Promo Video
      Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #216
      Alternative Nation
      Ben Folds Five in North Carolina

 Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 15:23:00 -0400 (EDT)
 From: THANEZRA4@aol.com
 Subject: st.louis show...

 i'm just wondering if there is anyone on the list that's going to the show in
 st.louis on the 22nd. if so e-mail tim at thanezra4@aol.com.
 thank ya.

 Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 16:18:26 -0400
 From: Barone <barone@magpage.com>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #217

 hi everybody, this is my first listing . just letting u know that ill be
 at the philly show on the 30th. ive been to a show at the TLA before and
 its a great place to see a show....i cant wait
      later

 Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 17:16:05 -0400 (EDT)
 From: UFOPhiler@aol.com
 Subject: phone ringing

 Well, my brother who is a bff fan also, has a professor who likes them to.
  Somehow he had gotten Caleb Southern's e-mail address and he asked some
 questions, and that was one of them. Well, he (Caleb) wrote this professor
 person back(or emailed I should say...) and he said something like Yes that
 was because since they were recording in Ben's house they forgot to turn the
 ringer off and Thats Robert laughing after it and he likes to keep things
 like that in.

 well I'm sure some of you knew already anyone but.....

 kate

 Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 16:46:52 -0500 (EST)
 From: Bronwyn Anna Deaver <bdeaver@indiana.edu>
 Subject: Larry, "Brick", and abortion

 >  Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:03:48 -0800
 >  From: Lawrence and Carla Sweet <lynx@connectnet.com>
 >  Subject: Another thumbs up..and a thought...
 >  	Hi everybody.  I've lurked here forever.  I saw BFF at the Brick by
 >  Brick in San Diego some time ago and loved 'em. [Missed the Casbah show].
 >  I thought the first album was great.  I like this one even better, ballads
 >  and all.  We're all onto something real special....
 >  About the "Brick"-abortion link:
 >  	How do you interpret that "as weeks went by", the girlfriend is
 >  "not fine" to the point that both parties confess the truth?
 >  	Not all songs deserve (or merit) dissection, but this one is a bit
 >  more thought provoking than many...and the melody, though simple, is
 >  heartfelt and beautifully bittersweet to me.
 >  	Curiously, Larry
 	When I had my abortion I thought I would I would be okay and not
 really think about the baby again.  I am guessing that this is what Ben
 means.  You see, I love my child and I still agree to this day with
 whhat I
 chose.  I was 18 and couldn't raise my child the way he should be
 raised.  I didn't and don't trust anyone else in this messed up world to
 raise him either.  So God and Heaven were the best parent and home
 respectively for my child.  Never will he feel pain or anything.  That
 makes me smile.  But I still miss him.  That is why she isn't "fine" and
 her parents probably noticed so they had to tell the truth to her
 parents.
 	I really don't think that Ben is saying that abortion is morally
 wrong.  I think he is just trying to show that people that choose
 abortion aren't heartless and cruel.  They have reasons.  This is shown
 in the line, "can't you see it's not me you're dying for".  The couple is
 probably scared about the repurcusions from the world that they would be
 getting if they kept the child.  So the child is really dying for the
 ignorance of the world.
 	Don't any of you EVER think that people who choose abortion don't
 love their children.  I love my child without ever seeing him more than a
 lot of parents that have their children with them now.
 							Bronwyn

 Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 18:59:00 -0400
 From: GUY <stele@interlog.com>
 Subject: toronto

 are they playing toronto???
 have they ever played toronto

    [Not on the current tour; and no, they've never played _in_ Toronto.
 They played Lollapalooza last year at Molson Park in Barrie. I would guess,
 look for some Canadian dates later this summer. -fjm]

 Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 19:16:23 -0400 (EDT)
 From: KEN <Walczakm@ACS.WOOSTER.EDU>
 Subject: Last Polka

 "Yellosno" wrote:

 "p.s. does anyone else think that the most powerful part of the first cd is
  during 'the last polka' when ben belts out 'but baby i was doing fine how
  do you think that i survived the other 25 before you?'"

 Yes, as a matter of fact I always have.

 --KEN

 Date: 06 Apr 97 19:13:31 EDT
 From: Terry <73060.205@CompuServe.COM>
 Subject: Re: THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #216

 i am a devout fan
 i have seen them twice and gotten their set lists both times
 at one concert at a small club near my home town in rhode island i ended up
 sitting on stage and during underground on the part where robert sings he held
 my hand   that was the best concert i have ever seen
 they are an amazing band but one thing i dont like is this
 when they first came out i wrote them a letter and recieved a hand written
 letter back
 now they seem to have gotten too big     their website and hotline are all
 merchandising
 damn the man
 well
 feel free to e mail me personally
 sarah
 73060.205@compuserve.com

 Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 09:46:28 +1000 (EST)
 From: Derek Scott <scoco@netspace.net.au>
 Subject: just a coupla things to say

 Sarah wrote:
 >God help me, I'm straight out of "Underground". Sorry. But they're already
  enormous in Japan,
  [Not to be picky, just trying to clarify if this is really so]
 I just got back yesterday, from 2 weeks in Japan and I'd have to say I saw
 little evidence of BF5 being huge over there. A Japanese friend of mine gave
 me the new album as a present (the Japanese copy) so I was really excited
 about that, and when I went to the Sony Building in Tokyo they were
 displaying the new Mini-Disk walkmans, and one of the sample mini disks was
 Whatever! So stood there and listened to that for a while. But in some
 stores I went into, looking for the album (before Yuki gave it to me), they
 had no idea what I was talking about. (Perhaps it's just that my Japanese
 leaves a lot to be desired!). Ayway, some stores had the new and the old
 album so that gave me some hope...
 I really like Whatever. I'd already heard some of the tunes (Steven's,
 Battle, Evaporated, Dwarf, Dumped) thanks to Sam who sent me a tape of some
 live stuff (you can't get live stuff in Australia, obviously) and it's funny
 but at first I liked them live better. That's just coz I heard them first.
 Steven's and Battle are 2 of my favs, and Brick, Evaporated and Dwarf.
 till next time,
 Claire.

 !                               Claire                               !
 ! "i want to live and breathe. i want to be part of the human race." !
 !                                     -radiohead                     !

 Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 20:28:34 -0900 (PDT)
 From: Colleen <bolgerc@bc.edu>
 Subject: ben folds in boston

 I just received the best surprise from my boyfriend:  tickets to Ben in
 Boston!

 i have been an avid fan, and this will be my first time seeing them live!
 I am really excited, my boyfriend has already seen them 3 times and chat
 with them after the show.  He has all there autographs, and says that they
 (especially Ben although my friend Erik says Robert is cool) and to
 respond to the fact that they are not playing during college time, i think
 that is better, that way hard-core boston folds fans can see them (they
 usually sell out)

 anyways thanks for the ear!

 colleen

 Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:39:41 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Bnanakingg@aol.com
 Subject: Promo Video

 Hi,

 Would anybody be willing to pick this up for me?  I read on here that Tower
 records was giving a promo video away with the purchase of the album...  I'd
 pay foreverything and throw in some money for your time.

 Thanks,
 Bryce

 Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 22:47:22 -0400
 From: Matt Davio <buoy12@earthlink.net>

 Anyone going to the Detroit Show on April 25th?  Email and let me know
 if you want to meet at show.  Could be best live performance in this
 area since REM at Joe's Star Lounge in Ann Arbor in '84.  Wow dating
 myself.

 Matt < buoy12@earthlink.net

 Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 00:14:36 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Jason Martin <un036034@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu>
 Subject: Alternative Nation

 Just saw the band on Alt Nation!

 This video looks way better than Uncle Walter and of course Underground.

 Jason

 Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:55:05 -0500 (CDT)
 From: sam jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
 Subject: Ben Folds Five in North Carolina

 I am one of the lucky ones.  For I got to see Ben Folds Five in North
 Carolina, not once but twice.  If some of you remember, I was trying to
 get to NC from Chicago but I didn't have a ride.  Well, I convinced my
 friend Prescott to drive and my brother and his friend Matt jumped in.
 Well worth it!  We saw two amazing shows, got to meet the boys, got Ben
 to put us on the guest list for the Cat's Cradle show and took a sweet
 picture with Ben.
 As a true Armchairite, it is my duty to post a review from the
 two shows I saw (I'm sorry but it's rather long)

 Ziggys was a really cool club, with video monitors on both sides of the
 stage because the stage wasn't that high up off the ground.  At about
 10:20, Snuzz took the stage and they were suprisingly good.  Chuck (Ben's
 bro) was on the bass, so that was an added bonus.  Actually, these guys
 were all in Bus Stop (minus Evan Olsen, Bus Stops lead singer).  They
 rocked pretty hard and had some hooky choruses that got me going,
 especially when the drummer harmonized.  Songs like 'Lemonade' and 'Eddy'
 were highlights.  Definitely a good disk to get when it comes out.

 After they finished, out came Darren to set up his own drums (big rock
 star he is) and  a bit later, Robert came out to check if all was cool with
 his basses and his 5 effect pedals.  Then, we waited...too long but out
 they came, Ben waving with that childish smirk on his face.  He sat right
 down, waved at the audience and began to play 'Missing the War', beautiful
 opener.  I forget that they sound so tight live - everything was on
 including all the harmonies.  The sound was great and I knew I was in for on
 of the best shows I've ever seen.  They then played 'Emaline'- great jam!
 Ben told me that the last time they played that in the States was at
 Ziggy's when they recorded it and put it on as a B-side to 'Summer B', which
 they suprisingly didn't play.  Next came 'Philosophy' which really got the
 crowd going (and singing) - lots of fun. (I'm busy so I'll make this more
 brief)

 The Last Polka - Awesome!  I got so excited, I came down the stairs and
 pushed my way as close as I could get to the stage but got nowhere fast
 and could only see the top of Bens head.  To top that off, some guy
 standing right next to me was singing way off key right in my ear and I
 thought, "Back up the stairs with my ass!"

 Selfless, Cold and Composed - It was a perfect time for a smoke break.
 This song sounded great live (even without the extra strings)  Parts of this
 song sound like something Seal would write - anyone see that?

 Alice Childress - Most beautiful song from the 1st album and sounded even
 prettier live (you'll notice that all of their songs are better live)

 Kate - I love this song so much and was smacked in the face with it
 here.  This sounded so good live, especially Darren and Robert's backing
 vocals.  This made me wanna jump up and down like a nut case.

 Steven's Last Night in Town - Ben stood with the melodica for this one.
 I don't know what it is, but its so funny watching Ben play that thing.  The
 song rocked but I kinda missed the Klezmatics instruments and the "Keep that
 sheet safe" part from the middle of the song.  I danced my ass off during
 this one, great drumz...

 Brick - Another smoke break!  I wiped the sweat off of my face and
 listened to Ben's sweet voice take over my emotions - So beautiful.
 Sledge played the Cello (the newest and fifth of the 5 instruments seen on
 stage at a BFF show) which worked nicely.

 Video - Classic!  Ben said that he wrote this song while he was in high
 school.  Had me banging my head hardcore.

 Jackson Cannery - Easily the highlight of the night, pure jumpin' pleasure!
 I was worried that they wouldn't play this one but thank the Lord.  Ben
 said that Bus Stop used to play this song as a tribute to them or
 something like that.  He played the slow piano bit from the end of this
 tune at the beginning of the song and went into the rocking `dun dun dun
 da dun dun' part - I Like it that way better.

 Improv (Metal) - They said that while they were in Europe, they became
 a metal band.  They started to play something that Ben sang in a high
 pitched falsetto voice similar to Ronnie James Dio.  It was
 absolutely hilarious.  Ben finished by flashing the satan/rock symbol with
 both hands and a horrific look on his face.

 One Angry Dwarf - They went right into this from the last
 tune/thingie and it was sweet.  Another dance like a psycho song.

 Fair - Wow, I was worried about the Ba Pa Dop's sounding alright live
 but they were mint.  The boys changed the instruments for the verse
 around a bit (you'll have to hear it to see what I mean)

 Battle of WCCL - Sounded great, vocals and all.  It was cool to see a
 bunch of people flashing the whatever sign during the "Whatever and ever
 amen" line.

 Theme from Dr. Pyser - Nice instrumental, however I don't think that
 this is an original jam (taken from a TV show  or something like that).

 ->Uncle Walter - Great bass solo and jam at the end.

 Song for the Dumped - Rockin!  They paused in the middle jam part and
 Sledge said that he's sorry that he kept screwing up all night
 (eventhough I didn't notice him missing a note).  They had a wierd jam
 going and then jumped back into the song - Fun as hell!

 Stairway to Heaven - About 5 notes played, thank G-d!

 Underground - A fun closer but didn't hit me as hard as it did the first
 time I heard this live.  The intro was funny and a bit changed around
 (see MA #217 for specific dialogue changes)

 ENCORE

 Best Imitation of Myself - Oh, I love this song.  I would've liked to have
 heard a doo wop though but no complains, it sounded great.

 Julianne - Salsa intro.  Ben sang the 1st verse with the salsa and then
 after "Being awake never...", they kicked it into the real version.  I
 like high energy finishers and this was definately one of them.  What a
 great way to end an amazing show.

 The Cat's Cradle show was almost the same thing despite a few differences.

 1- They added Where's Summer B. to the set list and Smoke to the encore
 but Ben said that his set up was too messed up to play it so they
 didn't.  I was upset but I had got to hear them play it during the
 soundcheck so...

 2- Underground, for some reason rocked a lot harder and I was jumping up
 and down the whole time

 3- I was in the front leaning on the stage.  Good view!

 4- Ben broke a key and said sorry if he misses some notes.

 5- All in all, I thought the Ziggy's show was better and a lot tighter.
 Also, the opening band "Sharks Quest" was pretty lame (all instrumental).
 Not even half as cool as Snuzz was!

 That's all folks.  It was an experience of a lifetime and every second
 was worth the 34 hours of driving to get to and from the shows.  I can't
 wait until 4/24 in Chicago at the Metro.  See y'all there!

 Sam Lewis

 Now that I have found someone I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before