Issue #234 - April 18, 1997

                     THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR, Issue #234

 REMINDERS:
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "The Magical Armchair, Issue #nnn").
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when replying.
     * Please keep non-Ben Folds Five content to a minimum. Off-topic
       messages may be deleted by the moderator.
     * Although not a requirement of membership, if you attend a show,
       you may wish to post a review.
     * Before posting questions of a general nature (e.g., "Anyone have
       tour dates?" or "What are the words to Underground?"), check the
       Web resources available. Two places to start are:
           http://oeonline.com/bff/ and http://www.bffweb.com
     * When possible, personal replies to writers of messages that are
       not intended for the entire listmembership should be sent to the
       individual and not the list.
     * Because of the way the Magical Armchair is currently assembled, any
       item of a time-critical nature should be sent several days in advance.

Topics for Today:

      any questions for bff
      mainstream vs. alternative (I hate that word)
      BFF on the Horde Tour and being sold out
      BEN FOLDS IS COMING TO MINNEAPOLIS
      Re: The Atlanta date, 5/3
      Toronto Show Announced
      BFF POST Re: KATE ARMY
      MPLS boys n gals
      "Brick"
      BFF in Lawrence-- excitement
      Please Help!! NYC Ticket
      Piano intervals? "Kate" as a single?
      bff in pittsburgh
      "brick" lyrics, in my humble opinion
      also...
      BFF in KY!

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:10:03 -0400
 From: elutz@kent.edu
 Subject: any questions for bff

 hey everyone!  Guess What?   I may have a chance to interview Ben fols five
 (April 26 cleveland show.)  for the All Campus Programing Board at kent
 State and do a music review for Flash events Weekly
         I am really interested in doing a unique interwiew and would like to
 have some suggestions if you have any.  I don't want it to be same old same
 old.
 so any help would be greatly apprecieated.  I was also wondering if I had
 time I could ask a few Questions for the magical Armchair....Does any one
 have any?  Any thing that you would like to know?   I'm sure there is so let
 me know
 Elizabeth
 elutz@pop.kent.edu   or  waxgrl2@hotmail.com

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:54:32 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Brad654@aol.com
 Subject: mainstream vs. alternative (I hate that word)

 In a message dated 97-04-14 07:48:42 EDT, someone wrote:

 >> As for the mainstream vs. alternative issue, I think that as long as the
 guys
 >>  stay true to what they believe, it will be fine.  The second album was my

 Some might argue that U2 has stayed true to what they believe, but they still
 sold out. I just hope that we never have to say, "Remember the first BF5
 record? It was so great, and now they're jst like... well.... U2." That would
 make me cry.

 Brad

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Jessica237@aol.com
 Subject: BFF on the Horde Tour and being sold out

 I just heard, a second ago, on 106.3 (a local radio station at the Jersey
 Shore in NJ) that Ben Folds Five has just been added to the HORDE Tour--I
 have to find out if this is true. But that's a little weird, considering
 another band on it is Soul Coughing and usually bands such as Blues Traveler
 play. I wonder where the HORDE tour will be by me. . .
 Anyway, I'm going to the show at Irving Plaza in NYC on the 28th and it has
 just been announced as SOLD OUT!! Who is going to see them? This is
 crazy--prolly all people who just know "BOWCCL" since the show is being
 sponsered by a radio station in NYV--I'm pissed about that. . .
 Well, I'll catch you guys later,
 Jess

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:28:35 -0500
 From: "Clasen, Benjamin P" <BPCLASEN@CSBSJU.EDU>
 Subject: BEN FOLDS IS COMING TO MINNEAPOLIS

 this just in - the ben folds five will be at first ave. wednesday, june
 4 at 7 pm - $10 presale, $12 at the door.  for info check out the first
 ave events page at:
 http://www.bitstream.net/bsu/tcguide/clubs/firstave/pressrel.html  i do
 hope to see all of you listies at the show.

 about the meeting...  i would love to be there.  the purple onion is
 cool.  let me know.  now that the bf5 is actually coming, perhaps y'all
 may want to have a bit of a preshow party? - get good and drunk or
 something?  again, let me know...

 ben clasen

 bpclasen@csbsju.edu

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:31:40 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Shu2Stef@aol.com
 Subject: Re: The Atlanta date, 5/3

 Hi all,

 Forgive my not knowing (I think probably everyone else does), but can someone
 please tell me EXACTLY where and when (ie:  stage and time) that the guys
 will be performing at the Atlanta Midtown Music Festival?

 There are a few of us from four different states that are gonna try to hook
 up to see the show together.  I think this will be rather cool.  Anyone else
 care to join us?  Get in touch with me and let's try to put it together and
 show the band what some true fans can do to show their appreciation for the
 band.

 Thanks for any and all help,

 Stefanie Schumacher
 Gainesville, GA
 Shu2Stef@aol.com

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "Giuliano G. Valentino" <val@rogerswave.ca>
 Subject: Toronto Show Announced

 Well...tonight I was in some choice movie poster show when I heard them
 playing BoWCCL on 102.1, where it is in medium rotation (with no airplay on
 the Q Classic Rock station).  At the end they announced that a show has been
 annouced...  JUNE 1st...no real details yet...but for people who in Toronto,
 or willing to make the treck, perhaps a meet would be in order.

 On another note...I see no problem with a band becoming mainstream at all so
 long as they put out good music.  If anything I'm glad to hear a band get
 some recognition.  The problem I've had with bands is when they get some
 recognition and then loose it completely, like Urge Overkill did.

 On yet ANOTHER note...I could have sworn in Steven... he said "I buried Paul"

 np Pavement, Brighten the Corners.
 ---------------------
 Giuliano G. Valentino		Oh I used to be disgusted
 val@rogerswave.ca	 	and now I try to be amused.
 Newmarket, Ontario	 	But since their wings have got rusted,
 Canada			 	you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

 http://www.ceogroup.com/Employees/Giuliano/Index.html

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:05:14 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Michael May <mmay@msmary.edu>
 Subject: BFF POST Re: KATE ARMY

 	Hi all this is only my second post to the armchair but i love
 reading all of your posts, so keep up the good work.
 	I noticed that someone said that the army phrase referred to just
 KISS.  If you look at the name Kate in the liner notes, it's written the
 same way that the big KISS was written at their early concerts.  Ben
 doesn't have spotlights for letters but he does have little round circles.
 If i saw Kate spelled like that (Like the KISS logo) I would have to put
 the word "army" next to it too.  8-)
 	That's it from me see ya later and if anyone is going to tape the
 BFF show in Philly, please, please, PLEASE let me know.  I live near
 philly but cant make it to the show 8-(.
 	P.S. Anyone know about BFF on the HORDE tour this year? I heard a
 rumor but I'm not sure if they are only playing select dates.  Any info
 would be great.  Thankx again 8-)
 Elmo

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 97 22:55:02 -0500
 From: Bergquist <Kristin.M.Bergquist-1@tc.umn.edu>
 Subject: MPLS boys n gals

 well, looks to be the Purple Onion for a mtg place..and for all those of us
 despising that nasty habit of trailing ashes,(which so many regulars at the
 onion seem to have...) we can always make our way out to the city or the
 University mall once we're all there
 BUT, i still havent a DATE and TIME that might be good
 ive had some suggestions for an initial get-to-gether and such to trade
 boots and just do general socializing...whatever(....doesnt matter too much
 to me When, really.) and then to meet again right before the concert
 (which, in case the rest of you are as uninformed as am i....*grin* is on
 June 4 at 7 pm @ first ave...and i *think* tix are sold this saturday for
 $10...anyone can confirm???)
 sooooooo, do give me some idearrrrs, kids! :) o, and for all of you from
 the U::::ah! i HOPE you didnt miss the  - take back the night - rally. good
 stuff, it was! *smile*
 cheers

 kristin
 ***we Must Stand for Something or we will Fall for Anything***

 Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 07:48:55 +0200
 From: rsnead@awod.com
 Subject: "Brick"

 Ok people it's time to quit talking about the lyrics to "Brick."  I know
 you all want to find something in the song, but I'm sick of reading your
 crap.  Ben himself said that the song is self-explanatory, so people LET
 THE SONG EXPLAIN ITSELF. It's not for you to say what the song means, it
 may mean something to one person, and nothing to another.  So let people
 decide for themselves,  and quit talking about this song's lyrics...

 Thank You
 Bryan

     [If people want to discuss Brick ad nauseam, this is the place to do
 it. -fjm]

 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:06:56 -0400
 From: Carrie Shanafelt <LaRubia@compuserve.com>
 Subject: BFF in Lawrence-- excitement

 OK, OK, I'm completely about to wet myself just thinking that Mon night I
 will finally see BFF play live after trying to see them for about 2-3 years
 now.... EEEEEEE!!  Various flavors of excitement are coursing through every
 inch of me.... EEEEEEE!!  I'm sure I will post a review after the show...
 I'm going with a couple of my convertees, but if anyone would like to meet
 up and say hey at some point at Liberty Hall, that would be cool.. I'm sure
 it will be wonderful, and to those of you whose vicinities will not be
 blessed by the Three Amigos, tell me and I will lovingly describe every
 beautiful detail so you'll think you went... EEEEEEE!!  (yes, there are
 always exactly 7 e's in EEEEEEE!!)
 Carrie

 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:18:24 -0400 (EDT)
 From: hpunch@pipeline.com
 Subject: Please Help!! NYC Ticket

 I've been trying to get over to the Irving Plaza box office to pick up a
 ticket for the April 28 show for the longest while. And to my horror, I
 pick up the NY Press today and see that the show is sold-out.  If anyone
 has an extra ticket to sell, PLEASE e-mail me directly at
 hpunch@pipeline.com.   It really bothers me that I saw them open for
 Heather Nova there last year and hardly anyone else there was a fan. I even
 left before Heather Nova came on.

 I have my fingers crossed,
 John
 hpunch@pipeline.com

 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:14:28 -0400
 From: "Brian R. Kessler" <bkessler@btv.ibm.com>
 Subject: Piano intervals? "Kate" as a single?

 A comment on Michael Bluejay's post regarding different sized keyboards, (and
 I confess I am the least-qualified person on the planet to have an opinion
 regarding pianos), it seems logical to me that if they make different sized
 keyboards, than people with large hands will just go buy the samller
 keyboards, too, and be able to play even larger intervals on them. Then people
 with smaller hands will wish that they could play those intervals, too.

 The bottom line is, people with larger hands will always be able to play
 larger intervals, so live with it.  :)

 As for "Kate" being released as BF5's next single...  I think it's a great
 song, and it will do really well for them, but on a personal note, there is
 one thing about the song that annoys the hell out of me.  There is a musical
 instrument that is a wooden bell-like thing with a clapper on a metal bar
 attached to it.  When you whack the thing, the metal bar vibrates like a
 spring, and the clapper rattles on the wooden bell, making a rattlesnake-like
 noise.  I do not know what this instrument is called, but I HATE IT!!!  And
 BF5 use it a ka-billion times in that song.  It sounds like fingernails on
 a chalkboard whenever I hear it...  in any song...  It makes me want to
 scream right now...  AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

 Peace, skiing, & music,
 Brian

 --
 "Never seem to get far enough / Staying in between the lines..." - Son Volt
 --------

 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:47:13 -0400
 From: lpd105@psu.edu
 Subject: bff in pittsburgh

 ahh--sorry i am just picturing ben folds five at metropol in pittsburgh, pa
 on june 2nd.  i found out this amazing news yesterday from my friend.  this
 is just so amazing.  if any other magical armchair people are going to
 attend this show  we will have to hook up before the show.  so get back to
 me on this.  i do not know who is opening yet but, i do not care.  ben
 folds five is coming to pittsburgh and that is all i am going to say.  and
 i will

 catch you on the flip-side

 luke

 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:14:57 -0500
 From: bryan siebers <brdsieb4@uwc.edu>
 Subject: "brick" lyrics, in my humble opinion

 hey-
 whoever said that "brick"'s lyrics were like underground, i gotta tell ya, i
 do not concur.  i think it's about her parents calling her, and he goes
 downstairs, and outside, so her parents don't hear him in the background.
 also in "steven's last night", i think it's kick that s*** say.
 please e-mail me on stuff that i don't have (but could) by ben folds five.
 brdsieb4@uwc.edu
 brdsieb4@uwc.edu
 thank you.

 _____________________________
 "You're my hero, I confess"-
 Ben Folds

 smile, tomorrow will be
 worse.

 o.k., bye.
 __________________________
 Bryan "Frank" Siebers

 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:23:05 -0500
 From: bryan siebers <brdsieb4@uwc.edu>
 Subject: also...

 don't even THINK  of comparing bff to those little brats in hanson. there's
 one major difference:  bff:cool, hanson:not.

 _____________________________
 "You're my hero, I confess"-
 Ben Folds

 smile, tomorrow will be
 worse.

 o.k., bye.
 __________________________
 Bryan "Frank" Siebers

 Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:28:00 -0400 (EDT)
 From: "JOHN B. WELLS" <jbwell01@morehead-st.edu>
 Subject: BFF in KY!

 Hey!  It is nice to see other Kentuckians here!  This is a first time
 post for me, and I'm late for class, so I must make this short.  Ben and the
 guys will be making their closest stop to Kentucky during the Atlanta
 Midtown Music Festival.  The Festival is May 2, 3, and 4.  It features
 (along with BFF) George Clinton and P Funk, Squirrel Nut Zippers,
 Santana, WallFlowers, Steve Miller Band and many others.  Should be well
 worth the $27 for the whole weekend.  For more info, check out the fest
 page at www.musicmidtown.com.......

 Keep up the correspondence Kentuckians!  I didn't know other KY BFF fans
 existed!  It's nice to know I'm not alone...

 Ben, don't ignore us!  COME TO KENTUCKY!!!

                                      JBW

        It seems that all men want to get into a car and go anywhere.