Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:16:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: GenLand18@aol.com
Subject: BFF invading other discussion lists

With Ben Folds Five now getting regular airplay through their "Battle of Who
Could Care Less" single, BFF's popularity has increased immensely.  I belong
to the Weezer mailing list discussion group (hey, I'm a geek!  I admit
that!).  When one person asked who sang the "fight the battle of who could
care less" song, a few people responded "It's Ben Folds Five!  They rock!
 Buy their albums!" in the next digest (I was among those Weezer/BFF fans).
 It was neat.  There was another fan "claiming" that the cover of the latest
Ben Folds Five album was paying homage to Weezer (The pair of hands making
the "W").  It wasn't a tribute to Weezer, but I thought this was a cute
suggestion, nonetheless.  :)

Talk of the BFF albums has also shown up on the Reel Big Fish mailing list
discussion group, which I found quite odd.  For those who don't know, RBF is
a little "ska/punk" band from Southern CA (even though they are now pretty
popular all across the country).  I guess Ben Folds Five reaches all
audiences, which is mighty cool.  Come to think about it, I could even
imagine a sea of ska kids trying to skank to "The Last Polka."  Ahhh,
whatever.....  ;)

SuperGEEK,

**Leslie**

"Now it's time for this song to end" -- Ben Folds Five
"I am unable to resist your scurvy love" -- Jonny Polonsky
"I know you won't care if I go" -- Teen Heroes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:51:07 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: mainstream / late-night

> >  BEN FOLDS FIVE SHOULD NOT GO MAINSTREAM. I'm from their hometown, the
>
> Moronic statements like these should be banned from democratic,
> capitalistic fan-lists like the Armchair.

is there something wrong with the logic here?

For some real content, though: Has BF5 ever been on a late night program,
or is their Conan appearance coming up the first one?
- -ec

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:55:07 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: St. Louis -- April 22, 1997

This is my first post. I have been a BFF fan since May of last year when I
heard BFF in Florida while on vacation. I am quite excited about their
upcoming show in St. Louis. I have been following the tour dates on the
web for a very long time and was estatic to see them coming to my area.
I live in Springfield, Illinois. If I missed the STL show, I knew I could catch
them in Chi-town. Well anyway, my post pertains to those on the mailing
list who might also be attending the show in STL. It is always nice to meet
a BFF fan (there are very few here). So email if you want to correspond
and maybe exchange notes about the show once they kick ass on
Tuesday night!

Erik
epa8820@epa.state.il.us

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:40:23 -0500
From: Greg Gaspard <ggg@flash.net>
Subject: Funny stuff...

	Had to try out the new list... Here's a little blurb from the Austin
Chronicle about tonight's show:
http://www.auschron.com/current/music.roadkill.html
	Any takers on my bet that this is yet another of the totally fabricated
and elaborate lies the boys have taken to telling to reporters, just to
keep things intersting for themselves?
Keep it light, y'all...

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. "
					- Groucho Marx
"Why get your news from seasoned professionals when you can get
half-witted rumors from random strangers?"
					- Joel Achenbach

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:54:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alice Childress <el266071@hvcc.edu>
Subject: hmmm.

	There are a couple things Ive noticed about the first cd..The
first being in "Where's Summer B.?", right near the end of the song, right
around 3:37 (i think) or pretty close to it..Ben is ad-libbing singing..or
at least thats what it sounds like..it sounds like right around 3:37 he is
singing "smoke a bowl with Caleb" someone listen to this and tell me if I
am right..Caleb Southern presumably being the producer..this line hits
close to home with me because I had a friend named Caleb who decided that
pot and beer and other things were more fun than his friends, and as a
result, neither I or any of the other friends he used to have, have spoken
to him in a while..painful..it sux..but what can you do..i dont nkow.
	Secondly, I dont know if this has been discussed on the list
before because I am fairly new, but: Today I just picked up the first BFF
on cd..I have it on tape, and i figured it would prolly be a good idea to
get it on cd too cause cds hold up better, etc..and as I was listening to
Uncle Walter I noticed something: right around 2 minutes or so he is
singing "What a perfect world this world would be if he were president
now..but he's not" and then it goes into a piano solo of sorts..Well, on
the tape..what it does is it goes "What a perfect world this world would
be if he were president now..but he's not..so fuck you!"  And on the cd I
dont hear the "So fuck you!" part...I dont get it.  Has anyone else
noticed this?  Does anyone else have a BFF cd where he says that on it? (i
hope i didnt get some sort of cheesy censored cd ugh) thats kinda weird
how he says "So fuck you!" on the tape, but its not on the cd...i wanna
know if anyone else has noticed this :>  sorry about the long post.

Overfloater			Visit the Mostly Harmless Web Page
el266071@hvcc.edu		http://bbs.cowland.com/giuseppe

"It's been my death since I was born" - Soundgarden (1984-1997)
"Ah, vindication isn't what it used to be." - Jawbox (1989-1997)
"I poured my heart out..it evaporated - see?" - Ben Folds Five

		    M y  L i f e  I s  U n r i s e

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:54:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin L Kartzman <kartzman@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: ride to cleveland 4/26

anyone who is going to cleveland either coming from pittsburgh or going
through pittsburgh please help me and my buddy out.  we've got tix, but no
ride.  contact me at kartzman@andrew.cmu.edu if you can help us out.
we'll help out with anything, we just want to see the show.  thanks

- -----------------------
Ben Kartzman			    "life is a wisp and i like it
kartzman@andrew.cmu.edu		     crisp  crystal and refreshingly
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~kartzman  to the point instantaneously
				     revealing all there is away with
				     pretension just see intention and the
- ----------------------               music of life is yours" chick corea

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:03:26 -0400
From: Joel Mahaffey <toolophile@psu.edu>
Subject: BFF in Philadelphia

hey all,

anyone going to the philadelphia show on april 30th?  there are like 5 of
us driving there from state college, pa that afternoon.  what a haul.
we're all skipping classes and what not.  anyway, if anyone else is going,
maybe we can meet up before the show, or while we're there or whatever.
bdw, does anyone know who the "special guest" is?  oh well, if you are
going, reply to my email address, not to the list.

thanks

joel

=== http://www.personal.psu.edu/~jvm113 ===

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:22:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Vibraslappin' you upside the head.

>>  instrument that is a wooden bell-like thing with a clapper
>>  on a metal bar attached to it.  When you whack the thing,
>>  the metal bar vibrates like a spring, and the clapper rattles
>>  on the wooden bell, making a rattlesnake-like noise.  I do
>>  not know what this instrument is called, but I HATE IT!!!

It's called a vibraslap (VIBE-bruh-slap), and it's too bad you hate it so
much.
I think it's way cool, because it's so rare that you hear one, especially in
this, the age of Nirvana and Green Day cliched, distorted, dirty guitar with
a crappy bass player and a plain old drum set. It's always nice to hear
variety from the percussion section.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:03:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Chris Wagner <wagner@brutus.mts.jhu.edu>
Subject: more tour dates (in DC)

In case some of you haven't checked recently, more tour dates have been
added to the band's web page.  Specifically, they will be at the 9:30 Club
in DC on May 30.  I thought I would only get to see them in Philly.
Anyway, for those of you in the area, I think this also means they will be
playing the HFStival, which is the next day at RFK stadium.  The reason
for my suspicion is that the Verve Pipe is playing the festival, and their
web page has them playing another large show whose lineup includes BFF.
Hey, maybe we'll get 2 shows in 2 days.
					-Chris