Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 01:18:43 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Country Song

Sorry, I jus noticed that people weren't really aware of one the B-side
country songs on Battle...-Champagne Supernova. It's not a country song,
it's by Oasis-I don't know how popular they are in America but most know
them in England.
By the way, about the possible other meaning of fanny... it doesn't
really matter in a song like THAT, does it?!
Anthony

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 20:38:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: KellGill@aol.com
Subject: BF5 in Tucson

Hey my name is Kelly and I've been on the Magical Armchair mailing list for a
while but since I usually am very busy I can only check my mail every few
days.  What happens is I check my mail and I have a million emails, and more
than half of em are this digest thingy and I just can't read em all!!!!
  Plus I never have time to post anything.  Well enough of my complaining!!

Almost a week ago I went to see BF5 at the Pima County Fair here in Tucson.
 It was really cool for me cuz I've only been to one concert before in my
life (Well, I'm only 13, okay?) and it wasn't Ben Folds Five.  Plus I love
them and now I luv em even more after seeing them live!!  I can't wait until
them come to AZ again!!

They started out with "The Bottle Let Me Down Tonight"  (or whatever it's
called, some country song) and then "Missing the War," one of my faves.
 Steven's last night in town was really cool & different because instead of
the clarinet and trumpet, Ben played the mouth organ, and on the lyric "We
were talking bout something, seems like it was funny, then Steven got quiet
think Steven was mad..."  <3Robert Sledge<3  sang.  Then on some song, I
can't remember which, Robert Sledge was going to play the upright bass but
once he started it was totally out of tune so he just couldn't play it.  He
seemed bummed about it.  They closed with "Underground" with almost the whole
audience singing along.  A couple people left and I made it up to the stage,
and they came back for an encore with "Julianne."

I really enjoyed it but there were some cool songs they didn't play like
"Uncle Walter,"  "Boxing,"  "Smoke,"  "Evaporated,"  "Cigarette,"  and some
others.  Kate is Ben's wife, right?  I think it would have been really cool
if she came out for that song.

Ben said "Fair" is about some story he heard about a couple where the girl
got really mad and broke all the china plates and drove off.  The guy came
out to apologize and she hit him with the car and then he got hit by a Mack
truck!!

Well I guess I should be going!

I love all of you-

Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 20:35:30 -0500
From: chris <cmvox1@airmail.net>
Subject: "Tomorrow, Tomorrow.. we'll start the day tomorrow with a smile..."

> Guys and gals:
>
> Long time reader, first time sender.
>
> Here's my take on "Brick..."
>
> HE GOT HER PREGNANT.
>
> Think about it.
>
> - --Cham

Hello groovy people,

I've been receiving the Armchair for about 8 months and this is the
first time I've written.  I have to agree with the "pregnant girlfriend"
theory.  It makes the most sense.  Does that make it right,  of coarse
not,  but it is the most logical;-]

The reason I've waited until now to write is simply,  the lack of a good
reason.  But now I have one.  I will be seeing BFF tomorrow at Edgefest
here in Dallas.  It will be my first show and I'm stoked.  I shall have
with me this glorious afternoon a pen and paper to right down the set
list and I'll email again tomorrow.  I fear it will be a short set since
there are 7 bands but an hour long set is better than no set at all.
(could I maybe use the word "set" a few more times:)  Anyway 'til
tomarrow...   "Oh what fun I can't wait 'til the future gets here"

chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 22:34:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: DBombay1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #240

How about a BFF cover of "Social Disease" (Elton John-Yellow Brick Road
Album))

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 22:13:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: dpm179@hecky.acns.nwu.edu
Subject: Klezmatics?/cover song

Who/what are the Klezmatics? (or maybe I shouldn't ask that question,
seeing as how one armchair member condescendingly wrote that people like
myself should study up on pop culture).

I liked the idea about the "topical armchair" system.  So here's my
offering for a BF5 cover:
	"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Apart from being one of the Beatles finest creations, could you think of a
better anthem song for a guitar-less outfit like Ben Folds Five?  I mean,
it would almost be as if Ben was telling a story: of his growing
discontent with a guitar's incessant weeping, and thus, he opted for the
piano.

Also, I'd love to hear them play one of the best songs that the 1980's
produced: "Africa" by Toto.

I'd live to hear y'all's opinions of this.

Damian P. Marshall
damer@nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 23:17:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Judi Smith <jsmith@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: brick again

> "This is a song about taking your dog to the vet."
>
> well, if you think about it...
> - -ec

"give me my money back, you .... "

(sorry, just struck me; don't we KNOW what he said it's really about,
though?)

judi smith                      would you catch me if i was falling
jsmith@bc.seflin.org                 kiss me if i was leaving
                                        hold me cause i'm lonely without you?
adam is the only man i ever                          -- counting crows
wanted to invite home
*just* so he could sit             i poured my heart out
on my lap and sing                    i poured my heart out
  --me, only lying a little              and it evaporated -- see
                                                 -- ben folds five

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 23:25:11, -0500
From: EPVJ98A@prodigy.com (MS SANDI   SHORTER)
Subject: Atlanta show 5:45p-6:45p

- -- [ From: Sandi * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

To answer this question again, Ben Folds Five will be playing on the
Miller Lite 99X stage from 5:45 till 6:45pm on Saturday May 3rd.  Hope
to see all of you there!

Has any progress been made as to where and when we're all going to meet
up?

Sandi
- --
 "and she speaks, and she breathes, I wanna' be KATE!" BF5
  http://kent.edu/~sshorter  (still under construction)
 a site where we discuss ben folds five, the wallflowers,
 strange dreams, and things that piss us off.  join us.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 01:01:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: KingBuzz3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #241

Any Armchair-ites from FLA going to the Jacksonville or West Palm shows?
 I've heard they're coming in June, but none of the Five websites have any
info past May 14th...can someone, anyone please fill me in on the actual
dates?

Thanks,

Marc Antony

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 01:41:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: JimiThyng@aol.com
Subject: Tickets to Irving Plaza (NYC)

Alright. I, probably like many other fans, was very surprised to find out BFF
was sold out. I blame my mom for waiting so long to give me an answer as to
whether I could go or not. But anyway, I stood in the store almost crying. I
went home and checked Ticketmaster online and called because I guess I was in
denial. But anyway again, I am willing to pay up to $50 for a ticket. I
personally think that is pretty good considering the face value is only
$12.50. Why is he willing yo pay $50 ? Because he doesn't feel like taking
off of work and wasting a night going to the city just to find out he can't
get a ticket. PLEASE !!!!! I live in Union, NJ. E-mail Jimithng@aol.com if
you can help me out. Thanx.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 01:52:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: JimiThyng@aol.com
Subject: Lyrics to Cigarette

I think I have it:

Fred Jones was worn out
From caring for his often
Screaming and Crying wife
During the day but,
He couldn't sleep at night for fear that she
In a stupor from the drugs that didn't ease the pain
Would set the house ablaze with a cigarette

I think that's it. Listen to the song and let me know what you think.

                                                                          Pat

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 02:04:53 -0400
From: McCall Bennett <mccall@frognet.net>
Subject: I'm with Steven...

I, too, kinda' assumed "Brick" was about a trip to the Abortion clinic.
It makes sense, doesn't it?

> Here's my take on "Brick..."
>
> HE GOT HER PREGNANT.
>
> Think about it.