Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:06:44 +1000
From: "Cairns Family" <cairns@c031.aone.net.au>
Subject: The Last word on "Brick" and going Mainstream.

Okay, I'm getting a bit tired of reading posts about the "Brick" Lyrics and
it meaning.  Isn't the whole idea behind art is that everyone derives their
own meaning?  "Brick" means a lot of different things to me because of my
life experience  and I bet my interpertation of it is totally different to
everyone else's.  But that's the point!!!  I'm sick of reading about the
"Abortion Theory" or the "Vet Theory".   The only person who knows is Ben
himself,  and I'm sure he doesn't want us all to have carbon copy feelings
of his!

I'm also getting a bit sick and tired of hearing people whinge about BFF
going "Mainstream".   I can't see how everybody else discovering the band
we discovered long ago, is a bad thing!  It creates more revenue for the
band which means more albums and more gigs for us.  How can that be a bad
thing!!!  In Australia,  our Indie scene is now seen as being mainstream
because that is what the audience wants.. It has nothing to do with
"selling out",  it just means that more people are being exposed to great
music.  We should be grateful that Sony have such good taste!!!

Finally, can someone please tell me what a "Fanny Pack" is?  As it has been
pointed out, a "fanny" in Australia is a slang reference to a part of the
anatomy.  To me, a "Fanny Pack" sounds like something a trans-sexual would
wear!  I'd love to know what it is.

Cheers everyone!

Janelle
___

Cool People are just dags who are really good actors - Ben Elton.

Human kind can not bear vey much reality - T.S Eliot.

There is nothing so unnatural as commonplace - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:43:57 PDT
From: "Robert Mcgovern" <mcrobert@hotmail.com>
Subject: A message for the "Brick" people and help from the U.K.

Hi, it's nice to be back. I've been a member of the armchair since, about issue
150 and i've had a lot of college work to do so i've not been able to keep up to
date with the armchair.

The thing i've noticed though is the amount of time and effort poeple have put
into DISECTING and ANALYSING the lyrics of the songs, especially "Brick".
Frankly,(no pun intended frank!!!)it really bothers me when I see this happen.

 Can you imagine what Ben would think about the people who write this stuff, If
he were to read it. I'm sure he would find it hilarious.

The song was written by Ben and include lyrics that mean somthing to him.To
someone else It might mean something else but the constant analysing of the
words and what they mean takes the "spirit"(Sorry I couldn't think of another
word) out of the song.

Basically, Enjoy the music, sing along with the words and dance around like a
mad fool. Don't turn it into something clinical.

Please send feed back: Agree or Disagree?

Other Bussiness. ATTENTION ALL UK ARMCHAIR READERS!!!

 I know this is a bit late but just before Easter on Radio 1 BBF were featured
on "Smell the Bus" which is basically where Radio 1 give a band who are touring
England a tape recorder and ask them to send in a daily report for four days. I
recorded tuesday, Wensday and Thursday but missed the Monday edition. If any one
in the UK has it on tape then please contact me.

Robert Mcgovern

mcrobert@hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:32:45 -0500
From: "Greg Monkey (Drunken Monkey Fanzine)" <pavement@idir.net>
Subject: people's signatures

>PrinceS--------------------if you don't get the name, Prince~S is a song by
>sebadoh
>                               just a little extra bit of info. for ya'

>mark         "automatic taxi stop electric cigarette love baby hotel rock 'n'
>              roll the discoteque electric super sex"  -morPhinE

I don't understand why people use song lyrics for their signatures.
Something original is always nice.  Mine is pretty boring.  Not to
criticize, but I just always read the Armchair and see that half of the
people on here have lyrics for a signature.  So there.

Thank you for your time, love, attention, and the sandwiches were great,
Greg
DRUNKEN MONKEY FANZINE
www.angelfire.com/ks/drunkenmonkey

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:38:00 -0500
From: "Greg Monkey (Drunken Monkey Fanzine)" <pavement@idir.net>
Subject: covers

        I would like to see BF5 do a cover of something by the Archers of
Loaf, maybe a cover of a Wesley Willis song, maybe "Dream On" by Aerosmith
(just for something really super cheesy)...how about a Pavement song?  I
dunno...I think they'd do any cover really well, but I would just like to
see them play "Evaporated" more than anything.  Maybe that dream will come
true tonight (when I see them).  I don't have any piano tattoos or pianos
shaved in the side of my head, unfortunately.

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:54:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: Edward A Weinstein <wein0047@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Hi all!

Hello everyone.  Just thought I'd say hi and send off my first message to
the list.  I'll start it with a question:

I saw somewhere that BFF or at least Ben Folds shows up as an object of
obsession on a Japanese TV show-- I haev access to a lot of Japanese TV,
but only if I know what it is I'm looking for....  anyone have more
information on this?

Ed

Edward A. Weinstein      			   wein0047@gold.tc.umn.edu

   "When he lunged onto the hood, she stopped to tell him she was wrong-"
         "He was flung head over heels into the traffic coming on."

               http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/g283/wein0047/

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:18:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Atropos <dashapir@cord.iupui.edu>
Subject: The difference between lists

Um, I have something to say.  I joined this list after having been on the
Tool mailing list for about 7 months.  The first thing I noticed about
this list was the fact that everyone was somewhat civil to one another,
unlike the Tool list was (and is), where everyone whines and cries about
the newbies and how they keep asking dumb questions.  I honestly like this
list better.  I have noticed in recent weeks that people have been getting
kind of miffed with the newbies asking questions.  That's understandable,
but I would like to remind the oldbies that you too were once a newbie
with the same questions.  It's great that everyone on the list has their
own interpretations of the songs (although the 3,000 opinions about
"Brick" that are basically the same except for minor differences I could
do without.  If someone already said what you think, then please don't
waste space by repeating what they said).

All I'm saying is please be tolerant.  If there are people on this list
who don't really like BFF as much as the others and are just on the list
because they saw BFF on mTV (thus making BFF "cool"), just ignore them;
eventually they'll go away ("natural selection just weeded it out").

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, I'm just trying to stop this list
from changing into a list of one post and then three hundred people
flaming that person for what they wrote.  Thanks.

Atropos

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:35:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: The Computer GEEK! <jgore@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: ARRRRRRGH!

Noooooooo! My Ben Folds Five luck is really terrible at the moment. First I
miss the Ziggy's show a couple of weeks ago because I thought I could go to
the Cat's Cradle show the next day....but it sold out.... AND NOW the
Raliegh show at The Ritz on May 1st is Cancelled!!!!!!!!! What is up with
this?!?!?!?!?!?!? I haven't done anything bad! Why are they doing this to
me?!?!? I would go to the show in Lexington on the 2nd (Lexington is only an
hour and a half away from me too....), but I already have fifth row center
seats for Cheap Trick/STP in Roanoke!!!!! ****whining mode off*****

This is my first post to the MAJORDOMO Armchair. Pretty neat. That sounds
lame....Hope everyone has better BFF luck than I've been having!
"I've got this great idea
 why don't we pitch it to the
 Franklin Mint.
 Fine pewter portraits of
 General Apathy and Major Boredom singing
 whatever and ever amen....."
 Ben Folds Five "Battle Of Who Could Care Less"
d.p.w. website http://nrvalley.com/dpw
Maximum Rock And Roll http://www.runet.edu/~jgore