Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:01:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: lendakike@mail.utexas.edu (Lenny Barszap)
Subject: BOOTLEGS

I have seven old bootlegs of BF5.  I want to trade for some of the new
shows.  If anyone else wants these tapes, I'll trade for other bands as
well.  Let me know what you have!

Lenny

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 22:30:46 -0500
From: chris <cmvox1@airmail.net>
Subject: Edgefest in Dallas

OK so it took a couple of days for me to get back to you, I apologize.
Especially to Ben for the lame-ass crowd at Starplex that beautiful
Sunday afternoon.  BFF put on an excellent show.  I sat on the 15th row
next to the isle of the middle section on Ben's side of the stage.  They
were tight,  the harmonies were as close to perfect as you can get in a
live show.  But where was the crowd?  I can't speak for the people on
the lawn but under the roof... bad things.  Dallas is a city where
grunge is still king and the almighty mosh-pit rules the game.  It's no
wonder Ben left the stage baring his chest and flipping-off the crowd.
I'm sure there were a scattered few, like myself, who saw the perfection
in there set but I apologize to BBF for the lack of crowd enthusiasm.
Here are the songs they played,  and believe me... they were flawless:

Underground
Battle of Who Could Care Less
One Angry Dwarf & 200 Solemn Faces
Philosophy
Steven's Last Night in Town (complete with wind-keyboard)
Song for the Dumped
(last was a 3 minute improvisation)
Like I said before Ben leaves lifting his shirt and firing two FU
fingers at the crowd.

I do, whole-heartedly, believe there are enough fans in the conservative
little town to fill a club.  But I have an sickening feeling in my
stomach I'm going to have to drive a long way if I ever want to see them
again.

By the way did I say it was great to see them play finally.  It was,  I
loved every minute, however few there were.

chris

"He drove home again, pissed and beaten..."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 02:10:37 -0400
From: Barone <barone@magpage.com>
Subject: the right opinion about brick

Magical Armchair Digest wrote:

> [...]
> may                     have a HUGE difference on its depicted meaning.  My
> suggestion
>                   is having someone who hasn't heard the song (poor soul), read
>                   the lyrics after you've written them down on a piece of plain
>                   paper...then seeing what THEY think??  Just a thought..perhaps
>                   not a great one......I'm sure its crossed many a mind though!
>
> Anyhow, back to studying!
>
> cheers y'all!               --- > HELLO MY NAME IS < ---
> - -Linda Tucker                          LINDA
>  Windsor, ON
>  delaware@mnsi.net
>
> ps: anyone want to sell their BFF piano score book? (ya right.."ha ha!" you say)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 00:34:25 -0400
> From: Thomas Tucker <delaware@MNSi.Net>
> Subject: Ben Folds Five in DETROIT!
>
> Yah!  FIVE more days until Ben Folds Five Day in the Windsor/Detroit area!
> Was wondering if the name-tag thing was going to be in effect for this show
> like it was with a few of the others.  Heh....I'm willing to wear a name tag
> saying "hello my name in Linda" - hell - why not eh?  Anyone else up to
> this?  (Shannon?  Dean? )
>
> more Brick stuff: I think the fact that the song is slow and sad-sounding
> may                     have a HUGE difference on its depicted meaning.  My
> suggestion
>                   is having someone who hasn't heard the song (poor soul), read
>                   the lyrics after you've written them down on a piece of plain
>                   paper...then seeing what THEY think??  Just a thought..perhaps
>                   not a great one......I'm sure its crossed many a mind though!
>
> Anyhow, back to studying!
>
> cheers y'all!               --- > HELLO MY NAME IS < ---
> - -Linda Tucker                          LINDA
>  Windsor, ON
>  delaware@mnsi.net
>
> ps: anyone want to sell their BFF piano score book? (ya right.."ha ha!" you say)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 01:10:56 -0400
> From: Nick <roccoscarfazzi@mobsters.com>
> Subject: Entertainment Weekly
>
> Hey guys. Idon't know if this had been posted or not but there is a small
> article on Ben and the boys in Entertainment Weekly's March 21 issue on page
> 72 with the title "Sincere Rocker Ben Folds 'Whatever' Works". Ben discusses
> his reasons for forming the band and why their music is the way it is (thank
> GOD!!). One other thing that is mentioned is the answer to the theory of the
> number Five in the name while there are only Three members. And the reason
> is......"alitteration just sounds better." There it is from Bens mouth. So I
> guess that kills all of our theories huh! Oh well I guess thats what we get
> for reading to deeply into things. Anyone going to the Atlanta show make
> sure to get in touch with me about what we are doing before or after the
> show and what we will have to distinguish ourselves. Talk to you guys soon.

- --
PK
       hey guys,
    This is my third listing i think and i wanted to write a good one.I
know the true meaning to brick. What im saying is that all of you have
been wrong. OK here it is...Brick is about taking MRS CLAUSE back to the
North Pole.....see...every year...while Santa is delivering toys, Ben
sorta keeps her company (if u know what i mean...wink wink nudge nudge).
 Bne drives her to the north pole and paces around the parking lot while
she goes back to their snow castle. As weeks went by...shes not fine
because Santa has found them out and is planning a divorce. THINK ABOUT
IT!
	OK anyway heres my fave bff lyric ..."the cruelest lies are
often told without a word, the kindest truthes are often spoke but never
heard." i love that. It hits me hard. Well anywayi think bff should
cover any OUTKAST song..i think ben would be a great speed rapper. And a
good opening band for them would indeed be pavement or sebadoh or bad
religion or  all of them cause thier grrrreat. Well anyway...ive taken
up so much space already.....im gonna be at the philly show on the 30th
and ill be the big dude in the front row standing next to his bro if any
of u want to punch me in the eye because of my take on BRICK. sorry this
is so long.
                  PLEASE e mail me at barone@magpage.com...i like e mail
                            love, TRAVIS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 02:43:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: NakedVegan@aol.com
Subject: More on the piano scores

>	Hearing talk about the piano book being incomplete and, in some
>places, overly complex or simplified doesn't surprise me at all.  Nearly
>every popular music "fakebook" of any sort (including actual scores) I've
>found to be full of errors.

Yes, I should have mentioned that, for folks unfamiliar with published
music.  The BF5 songbook certainly shouldn't be singled out as being
worse than other songbooks.  The truth is, they're ALL fairly
incomplete/inaccurate.  (The best book I've seen is the Red Hot Chili
Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magic".  206 pages just for one CD!  COMPLETE
guitar & bass tab, including what fret to play on each string for each
note!)  And the book isn't all THAT bad; if you play it as written, the
songs will definitely be recognizable (especially if you're not singing,
because then it makes more sense to play the melody rather than playing
the normal right-hand part).

Also, just to set the record straight, I said it my last post that the
BF5 book was incomplete but not really easy.  Well, I've had another look
at the book, and actually, it is pretty easy, so if you were putting off
ordering it because you thought it would be too hard, don't.

>	What I WOULD like to happen is this: Sit Ben down in front of one
>those midi-grand deals you see in the expensive music shops and pound out
>the songs exactly how he would live.  Then have a computer spit out the
>actual surely-horrific score.

I had this same idea almost two years ago, but I doubt Sony would let him
do it, even IF Ben wanted to.  The alternative would be video-taping him
playing the songs.  Anyway, you don't need a big expensive setup to do
this.  You can do it with a standard MIDI keyboard and MIDI software for
a personal computer (which is as cheap as $150 for Macs or PC's, last
time I checked).  The catch is, you'd have to get Ben to play with a
metronome, which I have a feeling he wouldn't be too keen on.

And a reminder:  please send me your ONE suggestion for a BF5 cover
(title & artist), and in a couple of weeks I'll compile the list and send
out voting instructions.

- -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

| bluejay@pobox.com         | If adding me to your address book,        |
|                           | please use this address.                  |
|---------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
| http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE, BIKING |
|                           |   IN AUSTIN, VEGETARIAN pages, & more     |

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:50:59 -0700
From: The Mighty Frozen Halibut <qreeus@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #246

I haven't given this much thought, but how about Iran by Flock of Seagulls?
Actually, I'd love to see 'em do a pizzi 5 cover or, for some reason it
would just seem right if the covered a Cardigans song.  Like Carnival or
something.
  Swingfully,
    Nathan