Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:17:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: "JOHN B. WELLS" <jbwell01@morehead-st.edu>
Subject: Re: Message for the "Brick" people

Finally,
Someone who knows how to appreciate a song for what it is, and not for
what it could be.  People, please lose this ridiculous Brick
conversation...no matter how insightfully you discuss it, you'll never
know if your conclusion is right or wrong.  You're missing the whole
point of the song, and the whole point of music in general.  It's
supposed to be personal.  Each lyric sends a different person off into a
review of their own unique experiences...and they attribute the songs to
these tidbits of their life.  SO, it means something different to each
person, as it should be.  Leave it alone, and relish in your own personal
glorious meaning...but QUIT TALKING about it.  Keep it to youselves.  It is
really getting <sigh>
slightly irritating to see this newsgroup filled up with such fruitless
nonsense.

Thank you very much.

JBW

<<<<ONE DOES NOT DISCOVER NEW LANDS WITHOUT CONSENTING TO LOSE SIGHT>>>>
               <<<<OF THE SHORE FOR QUITE A LONG TIME>>>>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:20:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: THE YANKEE <mcdonpj3@wfu.edu>
Subject: The BEST Cover Song

Now, this isn't my favorite song, nor a favorite performer of mine...

but meld the pageantry of this song with the mockery, energy, and harmony
of BFF, (not to mention the nutso background piano licks), then I want to
hear them do:

"Paradise By the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf.   I'm having trouble
thinking of a distant second.  Let's hear more!  (I know you've heard it
Michael, but I had to share)

                                Patrick J. McDonough

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 18:03:56 -0400
From: "Casper" <mr_kite@centuryinter.net>
Subject: BF5 The Counting Crows

	I would have loved to have seen Ben opening up for The Counting Crows when
they toured together.  They are two of my favorite bands of all time.  The
lyrics of both Ben and the CC's are fantastic.  I was able to see the
Counting Crows in March (phenomenal concert), however Fiona Apple opened
for them on that leg of the tour.  I was extremely excited however, to
discover that BF5 was coming to Cleveland April 24.  Unfortunately, I will
be in New York that evening.  I will be in Cleveland, though, when BF5
performs in New York on the 28!  (the situation just drips with irony).
	Where could I get my hands on any BF5 bootlegs and/or rare recordings and
singles?  I own both of their CD's, however I would love to get my hands on
ANY of their other stuff.
John:  I think that Ben Folds is a throwback to the days of Buddy Holly.
Ben has all of the inthusiasm and youthful energy that Holly had and, like
many critcs said of Holly (trust me, I just wrote a research paper on the
topic), Ben is able to "speak through music" like very few people can.	I
would very much enjoy seeing Ben and all his charisma for myself.  Maybe
then I can make a better evaluation of who Ben most closely resembles
musically.
Christopher R. Casper,
"The cruelest lies are often told without a word;
The kindest truths are often spoke but never heard."