Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:13:27 -0700
From: adick@ups.edu (Adam M. Dick)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #248

>I always thought that Ben would do a rippin' rendition of Antonio Carlos
>Jobim's "Desafinado"...hmm...

Ha ha, yes!  I think Ben doing anything of Jobim's would be great.  I never
thought I would hear, or read rather, anyone's mention of Jobim on the
Armchair.  I guess that just goes to show how well rounded we all are.  And
if they do "Desafinado", why not throw in the classic "The Girl From
Ipanema."
Since this question of what BFF should cover came up, I am always thinking
of new songs for them.  How about "Boogie On Reggae Woman" by Stevie
Wonder, or everybody's favorite Men At Work classic...I can see Ben now,
pounding away..."you better run, you better take cover..."  Ok, enough of
my babble.

Cheers

                               Adam M. Dick
                               adick@mail.ups.edu

          To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no

               choreography, and the dancers hit each other.

                                -Jack Handey

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:59:52 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: fanny packs

I just got the BowCCL single (Hava Nagila flavor...)(I actually paid for
it, the free thing is over with, but It wasn't my money so It's okay) and
after listening to Fanny Pack, these are my thoughts: it sounds like
something a band owuld only really do in studio, messing with samples, but
BFF doesn't do that. Or its just BFF messing around. But it's cool
nonetheless. Who's the guy talking?

another pointless message, and I sound like a moron...
- -ec

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:06:09 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Pictures

Here is an address for a picture of me and Darren from Tuesday night's
show in St. Louis. see ya in Chicago!!!!! Thursday!!!!!!

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/erik_n_d.jpg

Here's a picture of my wife with Ben and Darren:

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/jennbff.jpg

Email me if anyone is going to be in Chicago for Thursday's show. I have
more pics to share!!!!

Thanks, Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:33:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: sam jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: BFF vs. the truth / BFF @ the Metro

On 4/21/97, Nick wrote:

>Hey guys. Idon't know if this had been posted or not but there is a small
>article on Ben and the boys in Entertainment Weekly's March 21 issue on page
>72 with the title "Sincere Rocker Ben Folds 'Whatever' Works".
<snip>
>One other thing that is mentioned is the answer to the theory of the
>number Five in the name while there are only Three members. And the reason
>is......"alitteration just sounds better." There it is from Bens mouth.
>So I guess that kills all of our theories huh! Oh well I guess thats what
>we get for reading to deeply into things. Anyone going to the Atlanta
>show make sure to get in touch with me about what we are doing before or
>after the show and what we will have to distinguish ourselves. Talk to
>you guys soon.

Don't believe everything you read Nick.  There are unlimited answers to
this question, but is it really that important to know there REAL
answer?  I didn't think so either but it's fun waiting to hear what
they'll say next.  BTW, did you read the article in DETAILS?  The person
who wrote the article seemed annmoyed with the fact that she couldn't get
a straight answer out of the boys so she made them out to be egotistical
liars.  The funniest part of the article is where Robert (I think it was
him?) says that the song Kate is about a guy who get's jealous when his
girlfriend tries to teach sign language to an ape.  Gad, I love dat (said
in Chicago accent)

- - See y'all at the Metro, I'll be screaming for "Sports and Wine", the
only album song I've never heard live and that drum solo is soooo good,
they gotta play it!

Sam Folds 5

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:35:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: BNDVDSN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #252

<<
 Do we really need the 'definitive' meaning about this song? I think if
 Ben were to nail down what it was about, then a  lot of the songs magic
 would be destroyed. It doesn't  have to be about 1 concrete event, and
 the fact that it has created so many different images in listeners heads
 is a reflection of the songs ...er...depth. >>

Like in "Inhert the Wind" when the character says something to the effect of,
sure you can have your planes but the clouds will smell like gasoline, and
that with definite knowledge we lose mystery . I agree that it is nice to be
able to ponder over different meanings of the song, but to be frank, I like
airplanes, and  I'm getting sick of the armchair full of posts on the lyrics
to brick. There are other songs on the album, and even more so with Ben
touring, I'd much rather read acounts of various tours. And I fear the only
way we'll stop pratelling on about brick lyrics is if Ben just tells us what
he wrote the song about. That doesn't necessarily mean that that will become
the only possible interpritation either, you can still read whatever you like
from the song. Ok,                       Ben Davidson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:37:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: sam jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Play evaporated too!

Oops:
I just remembered, I never heard evaporated live...hmmmmm.......

OK, I'll have to scream for that one too, but only after they play my
Sports and Wine!

Sreamin' at the Metro tomorrow...

Sam Folds 5

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:44:11
From: melinda gonzales <magnet@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: BFF were great in austin!!

this is my first posting to the list (Yes, i'm a newbie)and i couldn't
think of any other way to start than to say that i saw BFF in Austin last
friday and afterwards got to meet all of them. They are all so cool and
sweet. It was great of them to come out and meet the fans since so many
other groups don't really care. I'm going to be a fan for life!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: St. Louis Show

I saw the show last night, April 22.  It was amazing.  Very different from
the described Dallas show in that it was a crowd of true fans.  St. Louis has
a very big club scene and therefore has alot of people more open to music.
 But this was not a crowd of people open-minded to the music.  It was a crowd
almost totally composed of true fans.  And to the contrary of the Dallas
show, I'd estimate the boys played 15 songs.  They said a couple of times how
nice we were(the crowd, St. Louis)  Starting the show off from Missing the
War it was a non-stop joy ride.  Before Brick they described an incident that
happened that day in STL.  Somebody threw a brick through their bus window.
 One of the more memorable moments was when Darren came up front to a mic.
 He stood there for about 20 seconds and somebody in the back of the club
said, "Were you cool?"  Darren said,"What?"  The guy said, "Were you cool in
school?"  In a normal voice, Darren said, "No, I was never cool in school"
 He then said in the singing tone,"I'm sure you don't remember me"  And
Underground went from there.  Also, during Steven's Last Night, Ben got out
the air keyboard thing.  He went to the front of the stage away from his
piano and played that whil singing his lines.  At points in the song, he made
his way back to his piano for parts that had piano. This got kind of funny
because the stage was crowded and Darren would have to play extra drum fills
while Ben got back to the piano.  I was so impressed by the way Ben plays his
piano.  First off putting a Baldwin Grand Piano through A Marshall full stack
is something I had never thought of.  It made it sound great.  By just going
insane on the keys and often stomping on them with his feet Ben really
impressed me and further drove the "punk rock for pussys" theory.  After
finishing their last song on the setlist, they left the stage.  For about
5-10 minutes the crowd clapped in unison and making a hell of alot of noise
until they came back in great fashion and played two more songs.  The whole
experience was so great.  The best 7$ I've ever spent, no doubt.  I don't
have the setlist verbatim but I'm sure somebody will post it a sI know
several Armchair goers that went.  I can say that 1 Angry Dwarf, Brick,
Missing the War, Last Polka, Julianne, Battle of Who Could Care Less were
played (not in this order)  as well as a bunch I can't remember.  I've only
been to two other shows besides this one.  They were Dave Matthews Band and
Metallica(went for free, not a fan).  I can say that personally, I enjoyed
Ben Folds better than Dave Matthews and that's alot to say.  And Metallica
wasn't anything special.
thanx to Ben, Darren, Robert, the fans, and the Armchair.
Josh

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:54:04 -0400
From: Lizabeth <elutz@kent.edu>
Subject: bf5 Party in Cleveland

Hey for all those clevelanders that are going to see bf5 at the agora some
of are meeting at longhorn stakehouse befor the concert...if you need any
more details than what is below just e-mail me   elutz@pop.kent.edu
ANYONE IS WELCOME

>Ok here is the Party verdict:
>
>        Most people decided that they would like to go Longhorn Since they
are not 21 or there friends are not or the did not care eithere way ( I
appoligize for not being able to thing of a more neurtal place that would be
more Vegitarinan friendly)
>        So Longhorn it is  ok lets say meet around 6:00pm at Longhorn
Stakehouse Every one Ask for the Armchair party, If you are first one there
please tell them that you are expecting around 15 people (under Armchair)( I
will keep you up dated on the number of the party)  If we cannot sit at the
same table ask that we sit in the same area or around each other. (so we can
table hop if we want)  I think that they will be expecting us to get
something to eat I know that I will be so.......
>        If you are the first person you might want to wait in the waiting
area for some one else or a few others to come along.

>If anyone is unable to come for any reason please let me know as soon as
you can so I can tell everyone else not to reserve as much room.

>Wow I think this is going to work!!!!! Cool  See all of you there *smilie face*
>Bye bye
>Elizabeth
>
>If any one Know of any one else thats want to come let me know...the more
the merrier

	The more you read, the more you Know
	The more you know, the smarter you grow
	The smarter you grow, the stronger your voice
	When speeking your mind and making your choice

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:11:09 -0400
From: McCall Bennett <mccall@frognet.net>
Subject: [none]

What girls say                     ...what they mean

  ------------------------           ----------------------------------

  Can't we just be friends?          There is no way in hell I am going
                                     to let any part of your body touch
                                     any part of mine, again.

  I just need some space             ...without you in it

  Can you help me with my            If I keep whining, the fool will do
  homework?                          it for me.

  Do I look fat in this dress?       We haven't had a fight in a while

  No, pizza's fine                           Cheap bastard

  I just do not want a boyfriend     I just do not want (you as) a boy-
  now                                friend

  I don't know; what do you want     I can't believe that you have
  to do?                             nothing planned

  Come here                                      My puppy does this too

  I like you but...                              I don't like you

  You never listen                   You never listen

  We're moving too quickly           I am not going to sleep with you
                                     until I find out if this guy in Bio
                                     has a girlfriend

  I'll be ready in a minute          I AM ready, but I am going to make
                                     you wait because I know you will.

  Oh, no, I will pay for myself      I am just being nice; there is no
                                     way I am going dutch

  Oh Yes! Right there                Well, near there; I just want to
get
                                     this over with

  I'm just going out with the        We are gonna get sloppy and make
  girls.                             fun of you and your friends

  There's no one else                 I am doing your brother

  Size doesn't count...                 unless I want an orgasm

  What guys say...                        ...What they mean...

  It is just orange juice,              3 more shots, and she'll have
her
  try it                                        legs around my head.

  She's kind of cute                    I want to bang her till I am
blue

  I don't know if I like her         She won't blow me

  I need you                         My hand is tired

  I had her                          I had (wet dreams about) her all
                                           week.

  I really want to get to know you   ...so I can tell my friends about
  better                                                 it

  How do I compare with all your     Is my penis really that small?
  Other boyfriends?

  You're the only girl I've ever       You are the only girl who has not
  cared about                                  rejected me

  I want you back                       ...for tonight anyway

  We've been through so much         If it was not for you, I never
  together                              would have lost my virginity

  I miss you so much                 I am so horny that my roommate is
                                        starting to look good

  No, I do not want to dance         Shoot! She'll know that I have a
  right now                                     hard-on

  The break-up should not start      I want to have sex a few more times
  for another 24 hours

  I am different from all the        I am not circumcised
  other guys

    ****THIS LETTER HAS BEEN POSITIVELY CHARGED WITH GOOD LUCK****
I don't know one superstisious person who likes chain letters!!!  Do
you???
Well, then you'll like what this one is about!  This isn't my idea, but
I think there should be more of them circulating!  So here goes
it!........
THE DEAL IS:  THIS LETTER GIVES YOU THE POWER TO NEVER HAVE TO SEND
ANOTHER CHAIN LETTER EVER AGAIN.
  YOU SEND THIS TO 10 PEOPLE WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE TIME THAT YOU READ IT,
AND FROM THAT POINT ON YOU CAN IGNORE, OR READ AND DELETE,
ANY CHAIN LETTER SENT TO YOU.  THE BEST PART OF THIS DEAL IS,
YOU WILL STILL GET ALL OF THE LUCK, LOVE, OR GOOD SEX GUARANTEED TO
YOU BY ANY CHAIN LETTER YOU READ! EVENTUALLY THIS WILL STOP THE
CIRCULATION OF ALL CHAIN LETTERS.
  SO, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SEND THIS OUT ON TIME!!!
AND THE CATCH IS, THAT IF YOU END UP NOT SENDING THIS ON TIME, OR
NEVER SENDING IT AT ALL,  YOU WILL GET ALL OF THE BAD LUCK,  NONE OF THE
LOVE,  AND NONE OF THE GOOD SEX FROM ANY CHAIN LETTER YOU GET.  THIS IS
FOR ALL OF THE SUPERSTISIOUS PEOPLE THAT HATE CHAIN LETTERS,  AND ALL OF
THE EVIL PEOPLE THAT WRITE THEM. GOOD LUCK, LOVE AND SEX TO ALL OF
YOU!!!!!!!

 And if you want. . . .

 This is not your ordinary chain letter.  Depending on how many people
you send this to, your life will change dramatically!
	If you send this to:

                	0-people:  Something terrible will happen such as
							    losing a best friend.
               1-5 people:  You will have 1 good day.
              6-10 people:  You will have a good week, and the
							    person you like will ask you out.
				11-15 people:  You will have a good month,
								and a great surprise every day.
                  16 & up:  You will have a successful life
								and all of your dreams will come true!

            SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:19:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Marc <mjt7742@is2.nyu.edu>