Issue #260 - April 25, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Friday, April 25 1997     Volume 01 : Number 260

Topics in this issue:

	Re: Philly gathering
	Re: Philly gathering
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #254
	CUT IT OUT
	that chainletter nonsense
	post copies...
	The cover song and such
	More Pictures
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #257
	The first time I heard Undergorund....
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #254
	Marshall Amps...
	Get A Life
	WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:41:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: "D . Hokanson" <hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu>
Subject: Re: Philly gathering

I'm still trying to think of what to do to meet other armchair people at
the Philly show.  Since it is on a work night it may be hard to get there
to early for some people.  Would anyone be interested in meeting
afterwards.  We could all put a say "green" ribbon on our shirt after the
show and gather by the stage.  Or we could meet at a bar down the street
- -- theres Fat Tuesdays.  Let me know what you guys think.

Donna

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:47:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: IIBLURII@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #254

Hi All,
	I am going to Ben Folds this evening in Chicago. I will let you all know how
it was, I'm sure it will be great though.

Bye Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:51:15 -0500
From: saltman@wesleyan.edu (Me)
Subject: CUT IT OUT

People, not to be obnoxious or anything, but could everyone please read the
the letter you got when the list was switched to majordomo. I really don't
want to read your administrative requests, chain letters, quadruple posts
and the like. Sorry if this sounds slightly bitchy, but it has to be said.
Okay, BFF content: I know lots of armchair people are going to the Philly
show...did anyone ever decide on a way for us to recognize eachother? I
know people at other shows were doing the nametag thing, etc...Just
curious. Also, does anyone else find it fascinating, and somehow creepy,
that seemingly EVERY person on this list who goes to a show meets Ben,
Darren, Robert, Kate or all four of them? Its odd...awesome, but odd...
    Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:22:59 -0400
From: kjoaquin@eve.assumption.edu
Subject: that chainletter nonsense

Hello, I don't post often, so I don't really mean to be as assuming as I
sound here.  I already emailed Mccall Bennet who posted that inane
chainletter personally, but I just wanted to make sure that other people
know that things like that are annoying and make people unsubscribe, and I
really think the beauty of all of this is the diversity of the people,
which will really disappear if they are bugged enough.  Sorry to be stupid
and lecture...

Oh, and I think that a great cover by Ben Fold's would either be a medley
of songs on Mr. Rogers, or the first song on the Transformer's soundtrack-
the one that goes -"you've got the touch!"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:46:35 -0500
From: nancy <ndoodle@ou.edu>
Subject: post copies...

ohmagawd, I am sooo sorry, folks, I haven't a clue how that whole looong
post of mine got posted twice. Since it was mine, I've GOT to apoligize,
cos' such a repost would've pissed me off quite as well.

so sorry!

nancy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:44:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: jrhee@wolfenet.com (Pollyanna Rhee)
Subject: The cover song and such

I had a few really off the wall ideas for a cover (Kenickie's 'Punka',
Blur's 'Rednecks', Pavement's 'Shady Lane'...), just for humour, I guess,
but I'd have to agree with the person who suggested Radiohead's 'Fake
Plastic Trees', that's my favourite Radiohead song and while I was
listening to 'The Bends' tonight, I thought that Ben's voice would really
suit the song. Ben did mention in the March(?) Mojo that BFF along w/
others, including Radiohead, were off in the 'United Federation of Desert
Island Bands'.

A dream lineup, (took a little while)well.. no not Blur/BFF, I think
Sloan/BFF would make me happy forever.  Sloan, if you haven't heard of
them, is Canada's greatest band by a mile.  I know, I know, the rest of you
guys are Barenaked Ladies people... I could see BFF covering a couple Sloan
songs too...

onechordtoanother,
Pollyanna

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:55:20 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: More Pictures

A couple more pictures of Ben from the show Tuesday in St. Louis.

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben1.jpg
and
http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben3.jpg

Enjoy :- )

Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:37:45 -0400 ()
From: "Oren M. Magid" <omm8y@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #257

No F*cking chain letters!  Real nice!
Oren Magid
(804) 243-0002

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:53:56 -0500
From: Sam Rauch <sam@may.com>
Subject: The first time I heard Undergorund....

Kids,

The first time I ever heard Underground I thought it sounded a little
bit like ELO, in the choruses.  And now I hear "Fair", and again I think
ELO with the choruses.  That's it!  The ultimate cover songs for BFF
that would showcase their harmonizing:

"Evil Woman" and "Sweet Talkin' Woman"  by Electric Light Orchestra!!!!

C'mon folks, admit it (if you're old enough to know who ELO is).   :-)

Flames, rants, agreements.  Bring 'em on.

sam

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:55:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Msksnow@aol.com

do they ever cover Elton John or Billy Joel songs????

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:52:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Antigone19@aol.com
Subject: Marshall Amps...

Someone said...

<< First off putting a Baldwin Grand Piano through A Marshall full stack
 is something I had never thought of.  >>

Well, Tori Amos did it - one of her many B sides is a really interesting
version of Jimi Hendrix's If 6 was 9 - and she plays the Bosendorfer through
a Marshall Amp.  On Boys for Pele she feeds the piano through another kind of
amp that currently escapes my mind (on Horses).  I think BFF should open for
Tori, but someone pointed out that they could never share a piano - Tori
treats hers like a baby, Ben would bang the hell out of it! :)

Marla

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 18:00:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Get A Life

To One and All,

Why can't you people understand that all these theories on Brick are just a
massive wind up, PI** take, call it what you like.  In the inevitable words
of Mr Jazzy B, the funky dreds and the Soul II Soul Massive, "Get A Life".

AND you shouldn't provoke gregarious crimes here neither.  Its not big and
its not clever.

How about a remake of the kids TV tune from Rainbow:

"Up above the streets and houses, rainbow climbing high.  Everyone can see it
climbing, into the sky.  Fill the whole world with a rainbow!!"  It will be
lost on you American types, but hey aren't most things!!!! (only joking).

Whats the square root of 67.897?  Adjo

Toadfish (Brother of Stonefish)  Will he pull Hannah Martin?  Will Paul
Robinson ever return?  Is Jim really dead?  Why isn't Helen Daniels?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:05:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Landohappy@aol.com
Subject: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

WHAT THE HELL? DO WE REALLY NEED THIS CHAIN LETTER? This is totally
unacceptable. I don't want to remove myself from this list, but I might if
this crazy shit keeps happening. I mean, let's look at how this mailing list
has evolved... Or regressed, rather. It started out with some pretty
interesting discussions about pianos, music, bands, philosophies, etc., but
now let's take a peek into the mailing list: we've got a chain letter, we've
got people rehashing each other's ideas about Brick until I can't even listen
to my favorite song anymore, we've got people quoting entire letters just to
comment one or two lines on them, and did I mention the F@!KING CHAIN LETTER?
I have three or four of these typical uninteresting digests everyday, and
rarely is there anything interesting in them. I think if people want to post,
they should be advised to do so with caution and thought, not just a reckless
"I am part of a mailing list now, so I will post" post. Come on people, be
interesting. Remember that people are reading your posts. Would you want to
read the  things you post?

I am not typically a hostile person, but something has to be done if we want
to salvage the wonder that was the Armchair. It's just not all that magical
anymore.

Cold and composed,
natalie.