Issue #261 - April 25, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Friday, April 25 1997     Volume 01 : Number 261

Topics in this issue:

	Klezmatics
	JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY....
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #259
	shows, covers
	bland billy
	Doc Cheatham & Nicholas Payton
	posters
	Re:Okay, okay...
	Death to Me!!!
	The CHICAGO set list (4/24); Looking for love (in all the wrong places?)
	[Moderator] Off-topic messages
	tapes to trade...and the morning show...
	Re: MTV "edits"
	What has happened to the Armchair?
	Pre-text of the chicago review

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:56:05 -0400
From: jasonchibari@mindspring.com (Jason Miller)
Subject: Klezmatics

*This message was sent using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) SMTPGate*

On Wed, Apr 23, 1997, 12:00:54 AM GMT Magical Armchair Digest wrote:

The Klezmatics are playing the Knitting Factory(NY) this Saturday .  There are two shows 6:30 & 8:00 I think.

ps
The new Yo la Tengo is great.

Jay Superstar Miller
jasonchibari@mindspring.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 20:30:35, -0500
From: QPQJ32A@prodigy.com (MS KIMBERLY   HORN)
Subject: JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY....

where is everyone from?
i'm in honolulu....
seferina lozano

____
Q. How many Spice Girls does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. Who cares, as long as you are holding the ladder.
(how true!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:19:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: DBombay1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #259

BFF going mainstream. Isn't that why they're making and selling records in
the first place? So people would buy them and listen to them. Get real
people!!!!!!! and get over it!!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shan111111@aol.com
Subject: shows, covers

Hello listies

I've been on the list for more than a year now, but this is my first post in
quite awhile (I had the list sent to a school address that I don't check)....

I saw BF5 in San Antonio and in Austin last week...hee-hee :)  The SA venue
was sososo cheesy, but BF5 seemed to have a good time.  The SA show was more
laid back, BF5 joking around a lot more (the audience was really odd, but
that's kinda typical of SA's metal scene thing).  Ben and Kate were wandering
around the parking lot before the shows (my friends didn't believe me), but I
didn't want to bother them during a private moment :)

 Anyway, the Austin show was really cool, too.  Saw people running around
with nametags on, but I guess now I know why.  I got a cool little standup 5
autographed  to put on my TV,  got the vinyl signed; a friend of mine told
Ben that he was in a band, and Ben wrote a "review" ("I laughed, I
cried....") and told him to feel free to use it :)  Funny stuff.

I wanted to hear Bad Idea, too!!  Sniff.  They said that it hasn't been
dropped, so maybe someone will catch it at a future show.  Uncle Walter
didn't make it into either show, even though it was on the Austin setlist.

As for covers, last year someone suggested "Theme from Shaft"...oh boy, that
would be great!  Just imagine...wow, I laugh just thinking about it.
 Anything by Matthew Sweet would be neat-o (also suggested last year), since
he's my other favorite (besides BF5).

shanna

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:41:21 +1000
From: Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: bland billy

>do they ever cover Elton John or Billy Joel songs????

   Oh boy, do I hope not!!!  Let's take a step back to bland and boring
piano!!!  In my opinion, a step in the wrong direction...  Listen to The
Whitlams and Ben Folds Five and hear exactly how the piano should be sound
in a band!!!

BYE!!!

Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&                   Ironside                      &
&      "...the 17th best band in the world"       &
& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:44:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: KRI1701@aol.com
Subject: Doc Cheatham & Nicholas Payton

Picked up this album today and ran across the following in the liner notes:

>..."Maybe", a 1935 tune that sounds older, by Flynn and Madden, which
entered >Cheatham's repertory when a Swee Basil customer requested it and
Cheatham's >pianist, CHUCK FOLDS, happened to know it...

Is this Chuck Folds the brother of our very own Ben, not to mention
occasionaly Armchair poster?  Or does the piano run nationaly in the Folds
blood?

NY Area Armchair members--Don't forget to tune into Idiot's Delight on 102.7
WNEW-FM on Sunday night.  The Ben Folds Five will be appearing (in the words
of the host, Vin Scelsa) sometime after 8:00.

Can't wait for Monday's Irving Plaza Show!!!!

Ken Ingram

NP Doc Cheatham & Nicholas Payton

"Here's a clue for you all,  the walrus was Paul."   Glass Onion

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:01:46 +1000
From: Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: posters

Umm...  I just wanted to know if anyone managed to get any BBF posters?  I
mean, I think I heard people saying they were free with the CD or
something.  Anyway,  I got one of the promo posters from my local record
shop...  LOVE IT!!!!

BYE!!!

Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:17:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: 47km67nb@abaco.coastalnet.com (Jennifer Delamar)
Subject: Re:Okay, okay...

Okay, fellow BF5ers, I have a bone to pick.  I have been listening to this
glorious band for a little less than a year now, and I must say, I hate the
fact that this great band is being robbed of its innocence, and going
MAINSTREAM.  I wish they could just stay this great little band that
everyone in this little fan club (not anymore, I am sure) loves, and that we
can all talk about without every person knowing just what we are talking
about.  I guess it is cool for them, but turning on MTV, and BFF being with
the rest of the mainstream is a little much, but I guess it could be a good
thing.  Squirrel Nut Zippers too!  Jeez!

PS-Shanna, I love Matthew Sweet, too.  ARe you a little disappointed with
the new album?  I wish it was just a touch longer.

Jennifer Delamar
aka Karaoke Queen
47km67nb@coastalnet.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:55:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kristaffer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #260

Does anyone know the exact date that BFF will be on Conan Obrien, or where I
can find the answer?  Just wondering, Conan usually sits down and talks w/
his musical guests too....

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:27:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: GANZLINA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #254

to the person asking about the Boston show..It is at the Paradise on May
27th..I have seen bff 4 times...every time was great..I drove 6 hrs to see
them on the second stage at Lalapalooza...even missed Rancid (another great
band) to see them...any band with no guitars covering "CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC" is
talented beyond belief..I met Robert and Darren...great guys...

Lina

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:42:21 -0400
From: McCall Bennett <mccall@frognet.net>
Subject: Death to Me!!!

Well, I am so glad to see that some of my fellow Armchair readers are
so quick to judge... and have such COLORFUL language skills.
My post was a MISTAKE!! SORRY!!
Geeze, give a girl a break, would ya'?
	 I apparently had the Armchair's address in my 'Personal'
address book and when I forwarded that letter (as a joke) to my friends,
it accidentally got sent to The Armchair as well.
        But, I am so pleased to have had so many people put me in my
place and make me feel like utter shit!!! (You guys really know how to
make a girl's day.)

"Never, and I mean NEVER,
use a digest like the archair to send out your mother fucking chain
letters.
let me be the first to say that you have got to be one of the biggest
fuckers in the world. NEVER do that again. we can have you thrown off
the
list for shit liker that.

so fuck you"
							--from "FUCK YOU, BASTARD" <axis@inter.net>

(totally uncalled for...)

"send another chain letter to bff and i promise to crash your email...

trust me I can do it"
							--from Stephen Deame <sdeame@iona.com>

"To add to the rest of the flames that you received...  Keep this shit
away
from the list.  No one wants to see it, especially when we already have
shitloads to read from other people."
							--from Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>

(and last, but certainly not least... my favorite 'love letter'.)

"You fucking bastard!  Are you just an idiot or what?  I can't believe
that anyone with any intelligence, courtesy, or pride (are the words too
big for you?) would send a CHAIN LETTER to a mailing list.  Next time
your mommy and daddy let you use the computer, why don't you do
something constructive.  By the way...FUCK YOU!"
							--from Darryn Fessel <dfessel@one.net>

(You guys really need to get a life...
and maybe a little tact, while you're at it.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:55:50 -0500
From: punkerthanyourmom@screenz.com (John P. Scholtes Jr.)
Subject: The CHICAGO set list (4/24); Looking for love (in all the wrong places?)

Hello Armchairians!

Ben Folds and all rocked Chicago this Magical Evening at Metro. Komeda
opened. They were ok, but Ben... Ben was INCREDIBLE (I am using that word
only because there isn't another in my vast vocabulary to describe how
utterly FANTASTIC they really were).

This was the set list...

Missing the War
Philosophy
Emiline
Last Polka
Kate
Selfless, Cold, And Composed
Alice Childress
Brick
Steven's Last Night In Town
Sexy Motherf**ker
Jackson Cannery
One Angry Dwarf & 200 Solemn Faces
Fair
Theme From Dr. Pyser
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Best Immitation Of Myself
She Don't Use Jelly
Song For the Dumped
Ultimate Sacrifice
Underground
- --------------------------
encore:
Smoke
Julianne

                   Anyways, I hope that if you were at the show, and didn't
get the list, I was of some help, and if you weren't at the show, I gave
you at least an idea of what you might be in for when you get the chance to
catch them live.

                   If you didn't get the chance to see them when they came
through town, you can see them on the H.O.R.D.E. Tour this summer with such
acts as Soul Coughing, Mighty Might Bosstones, and many others. The rumor
id that they'll have a four piece string section on tour with them on
H.O.R.D.E. It should be FANTABULOUS!!

                  Also, I live in Chicago, and am looking for a female Ben
Folds five fan to be friends with (hang out and stuff). I'm
19/Blonde/Blue-green/5'10. (GEEZ... That was LAME!)

                  Love, Johnny!

Ben Folds said it best... "I'm crazy, but I get the job done"
punkerthanyourmom@screenz.com
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/PunkSkaAndMore/index.html
The Flannel Tubs online...   http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/1187/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:46:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: [Moderator] Off-topic messages

Reminder from your moderator: Just as the "chain letter" post that got
into the Armchair a couple days ago ("What girls say") was off topic, so
is discussion of it. It's been handled behind-the-scenes. (In fact, the
post on "How many listserv messages does it take to change a light bulb"
was off topic as well, but it does punctuate a point.)

It's a good time, too, to remind everyone to review the introductory
message you should have received when you were added to the Majordomo
list. It contains a lot of valuable info on how to make the most of your
posts to the Armchair. If you missed it, you can get a copy by sending a
message to armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl with the word "intro"
in the body.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to a kick-ass show in Detroit, and hope
to see a lot of Armchairites. (I'll probably have a nametag on, so look
for me.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:08:17 -0500
From: nancy <ndoodle@ou.edu>
Subject: tapes to trade...and the morning show...

Tim said...

> I don't know if this is a taboo topic or not, but I was looking for tapes of
> BFF..

Then Frank said...
> I understand that the band will be doing some sort of in-studio appearance
> Friday morning (April 25) on the morning show on WHYT-FM (96.3), Detroit.
> Set your clock-radios, kids

+++++++++++

what I'm getting at is,...If anyone tapes the morning show with ben and
the gang in full, and it's worth the while, I'll trade you a tape of the
bf5 in japan from earlier this year...whattya say?

or if anyone else out there is looking for some bf5 in concert and has
something worthwhile to trade, bf5 related or not, email me!

nancy :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:14:58 -0500
From: Randi Sanders <rn21ja19@idt.net>
Subject: Re: MTV "edits"

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 07:52:04 -0400
>From: Michael Hirsch <MICHAELH@aw.com>
>Subject: MTV "edits"

>Can anyone explain why the video for "Battle of...." on MTV has edited >out
>the word "weed" from the line "To try and see if Paul could score some
>weed" ?  Is "weed" a bad word in America in 1997?

In answer to your question MTV has a strict band on drug and gun
refernecnces.  That's why Sublime's latest song is cut out so much.  The
first time I saw the video was on 120 Minutes, and I was pissed.  What
makes them think they have the right to censor?  Oh well, hope I
answered your question!

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul"- TMBG
Randi
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/3847/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 01:16:53 -0400
From: Steffen Donath <SDonath@compuserve.com>
Subject: What has happened to the Armchair?

There once was a time when you received Magical Armchairs that really
mattered. But then came MAJORDUMBO and the Magic has disappeared.

Endless discussions on what Brick REALLY means, people sending the same
message a hundred times or sending in an entire digest for quoting one or
two lines. And now we even have got completely BFF (or as some say BBF)
unrelated chain letters. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!

And to top it all off: We have lost our song lyrics at the end of every
Magical Armchair. Please Frank come back and save us from this mess!

Enough of me moaning and groaning

Possible BFF covers:

Horseshoes by Moxy Fruvous
Present Tense Tureen by Moxy Fruvous
Get that Bug... by Majosha
Cool Whip by Majosha
Your Gold Teeth II by Steely Dan

Bye for now

STEFFEN

GIVE ME MY MAGICAL ARMCHAIR BACK...YOU BITCH!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 01:28:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Yoda90210@aol.com
Subject: Pre-text of the chicago review

Returned from the chicago show not too long ago, and yes it was fantastic.

I think the majority of people there saw me...I was the girl with the white
shirt and pony tail, also she who wrote "sexy motherfucker" (unaware that it
was a prince song, mind you), shouter of "free bird" (obviously a joke),
shouter of "scooby doo", "shaggy", "howard", and numerous others.

brief setlist:
missing, philosophy, ?, kate, selfless, alice, brick, steven's, sexy
motherfucker, jackson, dwarf, ah liz phair, dr pyser, bowccl, best imitation,
she don't use jelly, dumped, underground, smoke, julianne

Somewhere along the way, we had some AC/DC or something, a kid got yanked
offstage by security guards for dancing, and all in the family was singing
underground out of the audience.

An amazing show, needless to say.  My knees kill, goodnight.

lv,
susie.

BTW, nice to meet all of those i did...thanks for the name tag.