Issue #264 - April 26, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, April 26 1997    Volume 01 : Number 264

Topics in this issue:

	chicago show review+stuff
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #262
	non bf5, but PLEASE REVIEW!
	H.O.R.D.E
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #262
	best cover for bff?
	BF5-online
	Modern Rock Live fo that ass
	[none]
	hello/JERKS!!!/piano music
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #254
	Ben Folds Five
	just an idea
	Cover song...
	newbies
	ben folds five on Q101
	More Chicago.
	Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #262
	ELO

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:40:51 CST
From: muel9628@uwwvax.uww.edu
Subject: chicago show review+stuff

well, i must say the bf5 show at the metro in chicago was simply amazing..
the amazing part was during songs with low points or quiet points like ben
just playing the piano such as missing the war, brick and the crowd just
stood there in silence and admiration for this fine fine group..the band
still got the crowd going with crowd pleasers "philosophy" in which the
crowd was louder than ben at points and "underground" with the opening lines
in which parts of the audience would sing the next line but band members did
not sing them and that brought a few laughs.. robert's playing on the upright
for "brick" was reaalyy cool.  the show was somewhat what i expected but i
found it so much neater becuz of the energy the band gave off made it so much
more beautiful...  my personal favorites of the nite would have to be"
"SELFLESS, COLD, AND COMPOSED" AND "SMOKE".. those songs are so pretty..
anyway  tickets are on sale for the june 3 show at the rave bar in milwaukee
for $8 so hopefully i'll see some of you there..e-mail me if you have any ?'s
my pick for a bf5 cover would be "alright" by supergrass or "the official
ironmen rally song" by guided by voices.
   time to go.. mark
"locked in a sorry dream you know you were drowning in designer ice cream"
super furry animals

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:52:36 -0500
From: nancy <ndoodle@ou.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #262

> Robert's new trim.

nooo! robert cut his locks! next thing you know it, it'll be on the
cover of Rolling Stone and he'll be accused of Gaz forgery!

Why on earth did they do it?! is a new revolution?!

>gasp!<

nancy!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:04:48 -0500
From: nancy <ndoodle@ou.edu>
Subject: non bf5, but PLEASE REVIEW!

With the onset of this new popularity for bf5, I understand that we have
QUITE a few new listies, but as I was scared to offend when I first
started subscribing to lists earlier this year, SO SHOULD YOU NEW KIDS.
there are a few little do's and don't's that all of us should reveiw
just the same as driver's training courses so that we can stay fresh and
stay off each other's toes! I realize that many of these glitches are
mistakes, but be careful please! not careless.

Alright kids...it's time for a lesson in list etiquette! And by all
means, I don't mean this in any harsh way at all but..PLEASE DO LISTEN!

1. please mind the quoting. We've all seen the list as you have, we
don't need any quoting of the WHOLE entire list as has been done quite a
few times recently. It's really easy to select "edit" then "select all"
and then whoosh! with the delete button.

2. Please please PLEASE be weary of those instincts to put people down
so soon! this only starts flame wars and retards the list so much more
(ie, the recent chain letter and all that junk that followed.) it's a
common thing to get upset, so take that as a given and don't shout it
out! we all know that that kind of stuff sucks. Remember, it's oh so
easy to be so ugly when you're at a distance. Just try to make play as
if we are all neighbors!

3. Please folks, make sure you read the FAQ or read every post before
asking a question. I notice that a lot of repeat questions are posted,
only cos' people never paid attention the first time. Things like when
bff will be on conan are on the website! many of us come in and out of
discussions and may repeat a question, but there are resources for this!

4. Commands and such are found by posting to majordomo ...

>>It's a good time, too, to remind everyone to review the introductory
message you should have received when you were added to the Majordomo
list. It contains a lot of valuable info on how to make the most of your
posts to the Armchair. If you missed it, you can get a copy by sending a
message to

armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl

with the word "intro" in the body.<<

Frank's been posting this kind of stuff left and right and so have other
listies..

this public message broadcast brought to you by...

nancy doodle!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:03:33 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: H.O.R.D.E

Is it TRUE that BFF will be joining the festival this summer?? Please advise
because I have heard varied stories. Thanx so much!!!

Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:32:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Msksnow@aol.com

can you bring cameras to the concert????

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:45:06 -0500
From: bryan siebers <brdsieb4@uwc.edu>
Subject: best cover for bff?

that's easy:
Squeeze-Hourglass
hey, can we stop analyzing "brick"lyrics now?

_____________________________
"I send my best, cause God
knows you've seen
my worst."-
Ben Folds
o.k., bye.
__________________________
Bryan "Frank" Siebers

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:47:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: FHudetz@aol.com
Subject: BF5-online

Ben Folds Five will be online Tuesday, April 29th at 7:00pm in the Rolling
Stone chat room.  I think it's one of those things where you type something
to them, and they reply.
I wonder if anyone will ask them about "Brick"..............

Tim

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: KingBuzz3@aol.com
Subject: Modern Rock Live fo that ass

Hey-

        To whomever posted the thing about Ben Folds being on Modern Rock
Life, I actually own a copy of a double-cd album with Philosophy on it, and
lots of other bullshit by bands like Jewel, Dave Matthews, Goo Goo Dolls, and
other "modern rock" like that.  It was a waste of money in the long run, but
it's neat to hear Philospohy and Julianne, not Song for the Dumped,
live...Plus at the beginning of Philosophy there's this 30-second clip of
some interview with Ben where he explains roughly the meaning of Philosophy,
and it's funny.  It's just funny.  So, if you like swimming through a sea of
Blues Traveler and Tricky-less Massive Attack, this album should be hunted
down.  It's probably hard to do, though. cos I bought it at a used-CD place,
and it said "For Promotional Use Only" on it.  There's a cool pic of the boys
inside, too.  That's my story.

- -Marcus Antonius
sayin' peace to cats who rock mack knowledge knowledgists, street
astrologists!

that's a lil WuTang for ya

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:13:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian <b_fukushima@cariboo.bc.ca>
Subject: [none]

subscribe armchair afukushi@awinc.com

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 97 16:16:44 PDT
From: Ann Breeden <abreedon@crosslink.net>
Subject: hello/JERKS!!!/piano music

Hello.
	I am very very new to Magical Armchair.  I joined yesterday.
I have loved bf5 ever since i heard "battle of who could care less" on
the radio.  I bought "whatever and ever amen" and now I just plain
love 'em.  I live an hour and a half from Richmond, va, and if anyone
knows when bf5 is coming to richmond, virginia beach, norfolk, or
hampton, please e-mail me.
	NON-BF5 RELATED!!!!!!!IF YOU DON'T WANT TO
READ---SKIP TO STARS!!!
	I just read my armchair #261.  To the people that flamed
mccall bennet:
you jerks!!!!!!
we're all on magical armchair for one reason and for one reason only.
we all love bf5.  I don't know about you, but because we share a love
for this band, it sort of makes us like family.  It's something that you can
always turn to that always makes you happy, and people that listen and
understand you will hear your problem and help you.  And if you're in a
family, if someone does something that makes you mad, you're mad for
awhile, and then you get over it.  What makes it even worse for you
jerks is that mccall apologized!!  So forgive her will ya?
**********************************
**********************************

I don't know if anyone has already asked about sheet music for the
piano, but if nobody has, I will.  Does anyone have bf5 sheet music, is
someone working on it, or will it never be available? Please e-mail me
and give me some answers
and now back to your regularly scheduled e-mail.
Ann
!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!
~You're a jerk~
- -You're a jerk-
~You're a butt-head~
- -You're a butt-head-
~I'm not your friend anymore~
- -You're not invited to my birthday party-
~What birthday party?~
- -The one in September-
~Oh~

- ------------------From the conversations of Ashleigh and Ann----------------------
***This concludes our broadcast day***

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "D . Hokanson" <hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #254

Ben is doing a chat on America online Tuesday, April 29, 9 p.m.  Rolling
stone online.  AOL keyword:  Rolling Stone

They are on Conan performing Battle of Who Could care less.  It is on
their web page.

donna

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:26:54 -0500
From: "Daniel S. Rothschild" <danr@tek1.tekniq.com>
Subject: Ben Folds Five

I was at the show in Chicago last night and it was great?  Ben mentioned that there was a filming taking place for a local TV station.  Do you know who it was and when it will be shown?

Thanks for any help,

DANR

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:34:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: PhairTwo@aol.com
Subject: just an idea

well, quite a bit of you have complained that the armchair is going downhill,
and i think i have the solution: we simply need more of michael bluejay's
dreams. so michael, whaddya say? can you keep us entertained? also, since no
one else mentioned it, i will. at lawrence, while ben was shaking hands (mine
included) the guy next to me asked ben to sing song for the dumped in
japanese. and he sang the last verse in japanese: it was pretty darn cool.
that's all.

- -bess

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:34:14 -0400
From: "Brian R. Kessler" <bkessler@btv.ibm.com>
Subject: Cover song...

Possum Dixon's  "We're All Happy" or "Invisible".

That is all.

Peace, skiing, & music,
Brian

- --
"Never seem to get far enough / Staying in between the lines..." - Son Volt
- --------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:50:23 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: newbies

I haven't been on the list long enough to notice this, but have there been
a lot of new subscribers since BowCCL started appearing on MTV/M2 (and
radio)? Myself, I've been a fan since about November when I got the s/t and
loved it. I had never heard of them outside a few RA samples on the internet.

- -ec

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:17:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Excus7teen@aol.com
Subject: ben folds five on Q101

i live in Chicago, actually in Elgin which is about 40 minutes west, and i
wasn't fortunate enough to make it to the Metro last night. and i feel like
i'm the only one who heard the interview with them on the Wendy and Bill show
on Q101 (they played BoWCCL and One angry dwarf...) it was kinda funny...
as for the cover song issue, i think something by Bikini Kill would be
good..i can just hear the playing "SUck My Left One".....
ciao*
mandy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 97 16:36:49 -0500
From: "Scott A. Schneider" <echo@msn.globaldialog.com>
Subject: More Chicago.

Also (I forgot to mention this in my review)--

They mentioned that a local TV station was taping the concert and would
be airing it sometime in the future.  If anyone can get a copy of this
(I'm from Madison so I can't very easily tape it myself) please send me
e-mail so that we could possibly work out a trade.

Thanks.

scott

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:52:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: BrightonER@aol.com

please remove me from the mailing list- i am unable to keep up with all the
issues.  thank you!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:47:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shan111111@aol.com
Subject: ELO

<< The first time I ever heard Underground I thought it sounded a little
 bit like ELO, in the choruses.  And now I hear "Fair", and again I think
 ELO with the choruses.  That's it!  The ultimate cover songs for BFF
 that would showcase their harmonizing:

 "Evil Woman" and "Sweet Talkin' Woman"  by Electric Light Orchestra!!!!

 C'mon folks, admit it (if you're old enough to know who ELO is).   :-)

After the Austin show, Robert was talking about how amazing ELO is...it agree

(even though I'm not quite old enough to remember them...d-oh!)
shanna