Issue #270 - April 29, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, April 29 1997    Volume 01 : Number 270

Topics in this issue:

	WNEW-FM Appearance
	Re:Fun in Atlanta, adn Cricets in Cigarette?
	Horde, Conan, etc.
	People article
	Majosha
	Cover song
	Very big in South Africa
	Conan Boycott
	Chicago, Milwaukee, & fIVE fOR fIGHTING (some non-Ben)
	lost issues
	So I finally decide to post...
	Beware the Carbon Copy
	people, what has happened here?
	Removal

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:34:04 -0400
From: TOM_CRIMMINS@yr.com
Subject: WNEW-FM Appearance

          Great mini-show last night on WNEW-FM in NYC!  Vin Scelsa brought
          the boys back to his "Idiot's Delight" show (appeared in March
          '96, too) and they played a handful of tunes live in the studio:
          Kate; BoWCCL; Cigarette; Missing the War; Selfless, Cold &
          Composed; Smoke, Alice Childress; along with others like "The
          Ultimate Sacrifice" (a heavy metal tribute song that's pretty
          hilarious), "Emmaline," and "She Don't Use Jelly."

          Sounded excellent!  Some interesting tidbits from the show
          included:

          -    BFF will be joining the HORDE tour this summer and will also
               play a Central Park "Summer Stage" show with Morphine and
               Someone else I'm not familiar with on June 25th.  And Ben
               mentioned they will have a string section at that show!

          -    Ben also mentioned that a collection of B-sides, rare and
               live tracks will be issued next year (no date, he just said
               "next year").  "Emmaline" will definitely be on it;
               supposedly the original recording has acoustic guitar in it
               and that's why it hasn't appeared on any album yet, since
               the boys are really touting the "guitar-less" sound)

          -    And to add to the ever-popular "Brick" discussion,
               apparently Darren wrote the chorus and Ben wrote the rest of
               the song (so, let's ask Darren what "she's a brick and I'm
               drowning slowly" really means)

          -    Vin (the host) also mentioned that "Selfless..." reminds him
               of a Snoopy song (aka Vince Guaraldi) and Ben agreed.  Also,
               Vin mentioned that his piano work on Cigarette and some
               others is very "turn of the century" sounding.  Ben agreed
               with that comment too and said it's very Scott Joplin-esque
               (you know, the guy who wrote all the music from "The
               Sting").

          I'm headed to tonight's show at Irving Plaza and can't wait.
          Later.

          - tc

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:14:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alanica@aol.com
Subject: Re:Fun in Atlanta, adn Cricets in Cigarette?

OK, first of all I want to say I'm so sorry for not keeping up with stuff
lately. I have about 18 copies of the armchair I have to read. I don't know
if anyone has noticed this yet, but sometime last week, while I was writing
an eassy I was listrning to "Cigarette", and right before the song comes on
and during the song, I swear there are crickests in the background. It was so
cool, because I thought it fit the song so well. It's kind of like the
telephome in "Stephen's.." (my apoligizies for misspelings), although that
was an accident.
  For all those going to Alanta this weekend, I'm definately going to be
ther.! I can't wait!!! I jave shrt blonde hair, and I'll be with this tall
guy w/ dark hair, and my friend Hollis. ASlso my Mom s going to. She really
likes this kinda stuff. But, I'll have a poster , or something, and I'm going
to do my best to be at the Cotton Club, around noon. If I don't make it, I
will definately be at the Festival eary, b/c I want to check out Patty
Griffen. Oh one more Question., Since Bags aren't allowed how are we going to
sneak in cameras, and recorders? I'm gonna find a way, butI 'm open to
sugestions.
Sorry for taking up so much room, but I'm sure it really doesn't mater w/ an
issue every 4 hrs.

See ya'll in Atlanta ( and to those I don't , take care!!!!)

- -Becca (Alanica)

- - BFF cover- definately the theme from Speed Racer, but not like form the
Sat. morning cd.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:29:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Horde, Conan, etc.

A few brief notes:

The Horde tour is definitely a go, according to management. BFF will be
playing the 2nd stage. Many of the dates haven't been set, but when they
are announced, I'll post them. Meanwhile, watch your local entertainment
listings as tickets may go on sale for some venues before I get the
complete list posted.

Aussie fans - I've overheard some talk of "Australia in September" so stay
tuned.

Conan O'Brien: Both NBC's web page and Sue Trowbridge's site still list
Sinbad, Roy Clark, and Deana Carter as tomorrow night's guests (Tuesday,
4/29). A recent message from Sony's Ben Folds Five mailing list said the
band would be on Tuesday. Guess the only way to find out for sure is to
tune in.

Remember, keep it on topic. We've lost over 300 members due to the high
volume. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask me directly.

- -fjm

------------------------------

Date: 28 Apr 1997 13:54:03 -0800
From: "Sharon Kern" <skern@mail.daileyads.com>
Subject: People article

Hi all,

I bought the Whatever CD a couple of weeks ago and can't stop listening to
it... I just absolutely love it.  I am devouring all of the concert stories
from all of you in the midwest and east coast.  And am (un)patiently awaiting
a show in Los Angeles.

Anyway, here is the article in the 5/5 issue of People (thanx Cynthia!)
"Somewhere between Little Richard and Billy Joel, the piano went out of
fashion as a lead instrument in rock and roll, but this North Carolina group
is doing their best to bring it back.  The first major-label CD from the
guitar-less trio features Ben Folds on piano, Darren Jesse on drums and
Robert Sledge on bass.  It's an elegant slice of pop rock.  The band sounds
sort of like Squeeze meets Freddie Mercury - at a George Gershwin tribute.
Their melodies are beautiful no matter what the tempo ('Brick' and
'Evaporated' are somber ballads that build to soaring finishes; 'Kate' is a
short, sweet, pure-pop love song) or the title ('One Angry Dwarf and 200
Solemn Faces', a revenge-of-the-nerd anthem, bounces along loudly and
happily).  The smart sound is a perfect match for the group's wry, home-spun
lyrics ("Wish I hadn't bought you dinner right before you dumped me on your
front porch," from 'Song for the Dumped').  But mostly Whatever and Ever Amen
is a welcome reminder that the piano means rock as well as Bach."

I am glad that music critics out there 'get it' like we do!
- -Sharon  (I'll be the one posting a show review when BFF is in LA!)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:33:23 -0700
From: Eric Ebert <ebert@cpg.mcw.edu>
Subject: Majosha

Is there anybody out there who actually has some Majosha stuff?  I would
be very interested in hearing it.  If anybody would like to tape this for
me or has a spare CD they'd like to part with, please e-mail me.  I will
gladly pay cash for the tape + S&h, or would be willing to work out
something in trade.  I don't any live shows and I don't have a whole lot
of rarities, but I might have some stuff that you might be interested in
hearing (big fan of They Might Be Giants, Semisonic, Trip Shakespeare,
Jellyfish, the Grays, Jason Falkner, Imperial Drag, etc etc...)

I don't know much about Majosha either, other than this was Ben's old
band before he assembled the 5... correct?  Somebody had stated on this
list awhile back that 'Video' was originally a Majosha song...

Any info = much appreciativeness!
- --
Erokk	<ebert@cpg.mcw.edu>

"Hey!  You're the guy that made my head hot!" - The Tick

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:53:55 CST
From: "DaVeY BoY" <djarvis@knightnet.creighton.edu>
Subject: Cover song

HeLLo

I know I've already given my input on this.  But I think it would be
rellie rellie neeto if Ben Folds Five did a cover of Blondie's Heart
Of Glass.

S'all I have to say,
Buh-bye now,
DaVeY BoY

<<Why do you kids like Apple Jacks?  It doesn't even taste like
    apples.>>
                 <<We just do!!>>
                                          <<YEAH!!>>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:49:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: DMedsker@aol.com
Subject: Very big in South Africa

Howzit, mates. (that's Johannesburg slang for 'Wassup?') Just got back from
an incredible week in South Africa, and one of the radio stations down there,
I think it's just called Radio 5, played BOWCCL all the time. In fact, they
even played the unedited album version, Franklin fucking Mint and everything.
Not bad for a government owned station, huh?

So if the boys are looking to make some serious Rand (which is about 25% as
strong as the US dollar), they should head south. They're adored down there.

See you just now ('just now' is actually 'later' to Jo-Burg natives),

David M

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:53:39 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com (Sandi Shorter)
Subject: Conan Boycott

Okay, let's all boycott Conan O'Brien.  According to Robert, they were
bumped from their April 29th appearance (tomorrow night) because ratings
for the show have been low, so they thought they'd have some <insert
various swear word here> country act on instead...and to top it off, the
stupid <insert another swear word here> people didn't even offer to
reschedule BF5's appearance.  So we should all boycott O'Brien....
Here's the Late Night With Conan O'Brien e-mail address so you can write
to complain about the cancellation and request that BF5 be rescheduled:
latenight@nbc.com
I already wrote them...have only gotten an automated response so far.
But maybe if we all write in, they'll actually reschedule the
appearance...

Sandi

"get born.  keep warm.  short pants.  romance."  -Dylan
http://kent.edu/~sshorter
Where we discuss the Wallflowers, BF5, strange dreams, & things that piss
us off!
Join us!                 sandishortcake@juno.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:10:25 -0700
From: Eric Ebert <ebert@cpg.mcw.edu>
Subject: Chicago, Milwaukee, & fIVE fOR fIGHTING (some non-Ben)

Since I knew that there would be many others who, like myself, would be
at the Chicago show and want to post a review, I decided to wait until
the Milwaukee show on June 3rd to exercise my reviewing expertise.
(Chicago was a great show, though!  Parking seems a little
outrageous around there, but we managed.  Thank God the tire on my
friend's car decided to wait until we were back in Milwaukee before
snapping 2 bolts & falling off...)

For those of you that were there and happened to grab a copy of that free
fIVE fOR fIGHTING cassingle-thingy -- what do you think?  I actually
kinda like it... For those of you who have never heard of these
guys, they sound a little like how a marriage between BF5 & Pearl Jam
would be.  I've heard people say that this band is a cheap rip-off of Ben
Folds Five, (and I can see a *few* similarities) but for the most part,
these guys are different.  They deal with darker subject matter and
it sounds like they have a guitarist.  The 2 songs on this free cassette
are 'Bella's Birthday Cake' and 'Ocean'.  Anyway, I'll quit rambling;
just wanted to let you daring folk who buy discs on a whim that you could
do a lot worse than checking these guys out!  I'll be searching for the
CD myself this week.
- --
Goin' back to the Metro this week Wednesday for TMBG,
Erokk	<ebert@cpg.mcw.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:35:21 -0400
From: "Yates Dew" <ydew@legnetwork.com>
Subject: lost issues

I missed issues #230 to present.  Will someone please mail them to me.
thank you

Yates Dew
ydew@legnetwork.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:44:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: sam jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: So I finally decide to post...

Hey all, the Chicago show was good but it's been covered enough already.
For those of you whose toes I stepped on while bouncing like a freak
during the rockers (Kate, Jackson Cannery, Underground, etc.) - I'M SORRY!
For those of you that were bouncing along (thats you Prescott, Angelo,
Alan, Matt, George, and at times Gina) - that was fun as hell, y'all
should try it.  As Ben would say "Shit yah, it's cool!"  Man, I hope I
can say shit here and not get it censored 'cause Frank used to bleet out
all the swares.  Nothing against him 'cause I loved the job he did w/
the armchairs and his page, but for a band that expresses their emotions
with the use of lots of profane words, I figured that here of all places
would be the last place to be censored.  Anyhow, I hope I can at least
say weed...

**If you see any #@?*& stuff over my swares above, I didn't do it so
we're being censored.  If not, god bless the United Places of Computerca!

...On to news, which is probably a huge reason you came here:

Ben, Robert and Darren, otherwise know as Ben Folds Five (a clarification
for the list newbees), will be on 120 minutes this Sunday.  I don't know
if they will play but if they don't, who wants to hunt down Matt Pinfield
w/ me, and chase him with spears in our underwear yelling "Kill the pig,
cut his throat, Kee ree ay, Kee ree ay, Kee ree ay a ley ba"?  Nancy, I
know you're with me on that!
Anyway, either Silverchair or Silver Jet will be on the show too (I
didn't hear it 'cause I screamed after he said Ben Folds would be on the
show) - Hopefully Silver Jet, I like them :)

Um, in case you were born yesterday, they will be on Conan on 4/29
(tttthats tommmmmmmorowwww kiddies!) playing that Battle songiemajigie
that I heard all the little girls singing before the show in Chicago.

Also, Brick is about a construction worker who gets up at 6 AM, day after
Christmas to build the foundation building.  His infatuation with the
first brick he lays leads him into a state of depression, for he didn't
appreciate her beauty until she was all cemented into place and it was too late
for the 2 of them to be together, hence "I'm feeling more alone, then I
ever had before" ...uhhh, nyep!

Peace out magicians,

Sam Lewis

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:47:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: sam jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Beware the Carbon Copy

Make sure you aren't sending a carbon copy of your message to the
armchair or we'll have to read your post twice.  Check the Cc line when
you send your post in, it shoud be clear.  That's all!

Sam

P.S. Now how annoying would it be to read this post twice?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:51:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Marcia Huth <mdhuth@email.unc.edu>
Subject: people, what has happened here?

salvete, omnes

i don't know what is going on here, but this list is getting really fucked
up. every list, i see at least one person say good bye to this list
(usually in a very harsh manner). what happened to the days that were not
so long ago when we lived in peace and talked about whatever we wanted and
responded to whoever we wanted and UNDERSTOOD MISTAKES? what happened to
the days of dealing tapes and reviewing shows and asking goofy questions
and not being shot down for every line you typed? were have all those
people gone? i tell you -- they dropped off, as i, after reading the last
few posts, am very tempted to do. i'm not going to, though, because i have
some faith that things will get better and we can go back to the old
armchairs that actually made my day when i found them sitting happily in
my box. the days of happy conversations and a good atmosphere. the days of
planning big coctail parties before shows and wearing nametags to them.
now, though, i dread reading my armchairs, and i cringe when i read people
throwing down someone that they don't even know so harshly because she
made a mistake and accidentally sent a chain letter to us because WE were
in her personal address book.

i don't know what's happened, and i don't know how to fix it. people have
been saying that it's majordumbo, and i mostly agree. but, i think there
is a pretty good soloution here: as we were all taught in KINDERGARTEN, if
you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

thanks

danny boy  (the pipes! the pipes are calling!)
part-time nymph

by the way, are the boys scheduled to come back to the TRIANGLE (NC) any
time soon? if you boys are reading, you NEED to come back to the lizard
and snake like you promised at neil young last summer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:54:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: kwollo@ezl.com (Victor C Kreuiter)
Subject: Removal

Please remove me from the Ben Folds mailing list.

Kwollo@ezl.com

Thanks!

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:55:49 -0400
From: "Seth Burton Hall" <sbhall@unity.ncsu.edu>