Issue #274 - May 1, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Thursday, May 1 1997     Volume 01 : Number 274

PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:

     * DO NOT send unsubscribe requests to the posting address!!
       Send all administrative requests to
            armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "Magical Armchair Digest, Volume X, Issue #nnn").
     * Keep your posts short. Remember, you are writing to over a thousand
       people. Long posts tend to ramble. Reread your message before
       sending it!
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when
       replying. Edit your quote to only the line or lines you are
       replying to. Remember, unlike Usenet, everyone's already seen the
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:35:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: Edward A Weinstein <wein0047@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Cover song.

As I listened to my walkman on the way home I realized what my pick would
have to be....
"Messed Around" by Squeeze....  It would be perfect.

Ed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:35:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ranvac@aol.com
Subject: HORDE

okay okay, i know you're all probably sick of answering HORDE questions, but
hey! at least i'm not going to interpret Brick.  I must know...is it just a
vicious rumor or is BFF really going to be there with Mighty Mighty
Bosstones, Soul Coughing, Morphine and others?  If so this could possibly be
the bestest concert tour ever imagined!  Also anyone know where we can find
out dates for this extravaganza?  I better reach good ol' Kansas before i
head off to college!
thanks in advance!
anna

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:13:15 -0400
From: jasonchibari@mindspring.com (Jason Miller)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #258

*This message was sent using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) SMTPGate*

On Fri, Apr 25, 1997, 12:01:05 AM GMT Magical Armchair Digest wrote:

Here's a review of Last nights show:

- - Wow there's a lot of people here
- - I cant get a good spot.
- - Hey there's matt Pinfield
- - Boy, It's crowded
- - They are taping this for HBO2
- - Hey a Slayer cover!!
- - Why is it so crowded?
- - I hate mainstream Rock

Jay Superstar Miller
jasonchibari@mindspring.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:53:57 EDT
From: greatdave@juno.com (dave a hansen)
Subject: headless chickens and other whatnot

The armchair used to be worth reading, but now the magic's gone, gone,
gone..............I just don't have the time to read all of those (and
since I am complaining about the length, I'll keep it short). O well,
thanks Frank, you did a good job when it was your job but now its just
majordormo suckin it up. I had fun, while it lasted. See ya.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:58:49 -0400
From: "Yates Dew" <ydew@legnetwork.com>
Subject: AOL

Who got screwed up because of the mixup on Chat Room times?  The BFF page
said they would be in Rolling Stone at 9:00 pm.  The Rolling Stone put them
on at 7:00pm.
All I want to know is, how did it go?  What did I miss?  Will someone email
it to me please if they have it?
thanks

Yates Dew
ydew@legnetwork.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:11:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: GenLand18@aol.com
Subject: Five for Fighting (the BFF "knock-off")

Hey, I remember someone saying something about the new band Five for
Fighting, another band using a piano.  Well, I heard they were scheduled to
play on Monday at my college, Cal State Fullerton, for free.  I think it was
really today, because I could hear the band's music loud and clear from
inside the study lounges.  So for about a half hour I listened as they went
through "Bella's Birthday Cake" and their other songs.  No, not as "poppy" or
matching in quality as the great Ben Folds Five, but not bad.  I probably
should've ditched my efforts to study so I could go outside and check them
out.  Oh, well...

Hey, have any of you heard of the band Suddenly, Tammy?  I remember hearing
them about two years ago....again, just drums, bass, and piano except with a
female singer.  It's cute at first, but becomes REALLY tiresome to the ears
fast....

I'm glad that BFF will be playing the HORDE festival, but I still would like
to see them in a small venue.  I guess that puts those plans on hold!

SuperGEEK,

**Leslie**

"More asbestos, more asbestos!" -- The Simpsons

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:43:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shannon McCarthy <semccart@Oakland.edu>
Subject: Atlanta fans

Hi everyone!

Anyone who will be at the Atlanta show this weekend. I should be there
with a 'hello my name is .." tag. find me and say hi and i'll give you a
name tag! I'm coming all the way from Detroit ,so please do say hi.

Still love BFF even if Ben doesn't know any Spice Girls,
shannon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:29:06 +1000
From: Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: Australian BFF

>So now I am calling all Aussie BFF fans to push for this even harder.  I
>think we should send the guys a petetion, letting they know just how much
>we want them to come.  Even if it gets us nowhere at the moment, at least
>the will definitely know how much we love them.  Anyone one who wants to be
>involved,  has any ideas on how it get started or how we can get it some
>publicity (maybe we can get it mentioned on "Triple J") PLEASE E-MAIL ME!

   Hey, good idea.  I reckon everyone in Australia should do something to
try and get them out here!!!  If they come here, I'll be getting to as many
shows as possible!!!  So umm...  yeah...

>P.S  Claire....Don't you think that Custard would be an excellent support
>act!

   HA!   Let's go for The Whitlams!!!  I reckon they'd be a perfect opener
for BFF.

BYE!!
Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&                   Ironside                      &
&      "...the 17th best band in the world"       &
& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 00:56:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: FHudetz@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #266

>*****************cut here*********************************
>Name:Tim Sullivan
>E-mail:fhudetz@aol.com
>City, State:Atlanta, GA
>
>Digital to Digital,  can you defeat SCMS? n/a
>Briefly describe your set-up:
>not applicable
>
>All others briefly describe your dubbing equipment:
>Pioneer deck
>
>Are you willing to trade with your parent?:
>sure
>
>Are you willing to trade overseas with your parent/child?
>maybe, probably
>
>Comments:
>like to do analog>analog
>*

Thanks, Tim

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 00:48:21 -0500
From: Ktocs <nolajuka@world-net.net>
Subject: RS Online with BFF

I really enjoyed the chance to be online with Ben, Robert and Darren
today.  They even answered two of my questions.  Except I think Ben was
being sarcastic when I asked who his jazz influences were and he said
"Kenny G and Yanni."  Uh, yeah, right.

I'd like to throw in another suggestion for the "what to call us
BFF-ers."  On the Nine Inch Nails newsgroup, we call ourselves Nin-nies
(because of the "NIN" letters).  What about Bennies?

I can't get this music out of head.

Karen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:34:05, -0500
From: RFAA93A@prodigy.com (MR MARC   FACTOR)
Subject: bff AT irving plaza, met ben

hey,

Bff played such a great show at irving plaza and i was lucky enough
to see it.  they opened up with missing the war and played all the
goodies.  but the greatest part of the night was when i got to meet
ben.  it was way after the show and infront of the tour bus when i
came up to him speechless and just said "congradulations". i have no
idea why.  i then gave him a pin that just said something weird that
i was wearing because i got it school.  he looked at it laughed and
then said thank you and walked away. as he was walking away he put it
on.  hes a really nice guy.  some schmuck asked him if he liked billy
joel.  hes probably been asked that 1000,000 times before but he
answered back like it was the first time he was ever asked that and
said "yeah man, hes cool" .  Komida was the opening band and they
were pretty cool, i have their setlist from the stage, if anyone
wants it ill raffle it off or some shit like that.  bye
brian

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:27:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Beth2459@aol.com
Subject: ATLANTA- Help me out!!

I am sooo bummed out. My best friend and club-going pal just got transferred
to Atlanta!! If anyone could Email me privately and give me any info
regarding places to go/ not go, advice, tips, suggestions I will pass on the
info to her. Unfortunately she is going to miss BFF on 5/27. So I thought I'd
try to help her get settled in the new "scene".

Thanks-a-bunch!!

beth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:07:42 0000
From: "K.V.SUTTON" <GG9C6SKV@swansea.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: UK dates and location.

In regards to......
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:34:07 +0000<
>From: dl <dl@cates.demon.co.uk><
>Subject: UK Dates <

>Apparently BFF are playing London on the 23rd June. Not sure where though,
an agency lists it.<

Stargreen Box offices have advertised in both NME and Melody Maker
over the past couple of weeks about this date, (which is now sold
out), at the Shepherds Bush Empire. Another date has been added and
tickets were still being sold on (at least) Sunday 27th. This is for the 1st July,
but I'm not sure about the location,- the same place again I would
guess.
Hope this is of some help.
K.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:20:22 -0300 (ADT)
From: dmaceach@is2.dal.ca (Daniel MacEachern)
Subject: missing the Frank

Bluejay -

maybe it's me, but I don't recall anyone "slamming" Frank for not including
lyrics at the end of the digest.  I recall a lot of people expressing
regret that Frank is no longer able to include lyrics at the end of an
automated digest.  Everybody knows and appreciates how much work Frank put
into starting up this digest.

I set up my email program to continuously send messages to the Conan
O'brien show requesting that they reschedule the band, but stopped it when
I realized I was getting a message back for every one I sent.  I sent ten.
I'm kind of glad they weren't on, since the guys next door were moving out,
they took out the cable tv that we were splitting with them for the school
year and I wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway.  Now I didn't miss
it.

Daniel
Halifax

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 17:45:51 +0
From: "S I PICK (BA (Hons) Design)" <AJBA0048@newi.ac.uk>

Hiya, all.

What's with all the unsubscribing? And the repeated mailings? And the
mailings which contain no content?? Waaaaaahhh!! Come back, Frank -
all is forgiven!! (Groovy Jellyfish song if ever there was one...). A
lesson that machines are great an' all, but they'll never replace Mr.
Folds and co. Unless Epic have a trick up their sleeve.... ;)

Just posting to say that I wanna know if BBF are coming up to
Liverpool to play a gig in the UK. I know Barenaked Ladies did, and I
missed it. :( :( If not, I might have to trek it down to London and
blow all my money... as per usual...

Gotta catch a bus, ta ta!!!

Steve ;)~

P.S. E-mail David Letterman at lateshow@www.cbs.com and tell 'em to
get BFF on there. I have. 10 times. :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:12:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Atropos <dashapir@cord.iupui.edu>
Subject: Cover song and "Steven's"

I've contributed a couple of cover song ideas before, but here's some
more: " Life in the Fast Lane" by the Eagles, and "Movin' Out" by Billy
Joel.  I think they would work.

Now onto a thread that died a long time ago:  What do they say in
"Steven's Last Night in Town"?  I think they say "Kick that sh**, say".
That's what I've always heard, anyway.

Atropos